Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Monachino

RockThatBlue

His defenses always seem to either 1) wear down in the second half and give up leads (sometimes big leads) or 2) become so conservative in the second half that opposing teams begin moving the ball at will.

In the second halves of games, you will have a greater chance of being struck by lightning than seeing a Monachino defense get off the field on 3rd down. 

2 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Not a huge fan of him, but to be fair he's never really had a full lineup to work with. Today he was missing his nickel corner and 2CB, which really showed in the pass game. Plus we really don't have any viable cover linebackers.

Your right about that. That’s what is killing this defense. We get a ILB this defense because even better. Or even a healthy Geathers  to play the role. But who knows if he’ll appear this season

28 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Not a huge fan of him, but to be fair he's never really had a full lineup to work with. Today he was missing his nickel corner and 2CB, which really showed in the pass game. Plus we really don't have any viable cover linebackers.

It's looking to me like the issues with the pass defense are scheme related, not player related. I feel like 20 of Hoyer's completions were completed uncontested with no defender even close, and another five were just inaccurate passes to open receivers. There are gaping holes every time we play zone, and frequent coverage busts.

There's are also too many mismatches that result in our linebackers getting picked on.

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's looking to me like the issues with the pass defense are scheme related, not player related. I feel like 20 of Hoyer's completions were completed uncontested with no defender even close, and another five were just inaccurate passes to open receivers. There are gaping holes every time we play zone, and frequent coverage busts.

There's are also too many mismatches that result in our linebackers getting picked on.

I don't see why they don't throw TJ Green in every now and then to cover a TE. He couldn't do any worse.

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

I don't see why they don't throw TJ Green in every now and then to cover a TE. He couldn't do any worse.

He's nailed to the bench. Seems like they're done with him. His one defensive snap last week was pretty good, pass coverage in the end zone. He could even bring some physicality in the box. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's nailed to the bench. Seems like they're done with him. His one defensive snap last week was pretty good, pass coverage in the end zone. He could even bring some physicality in the box. 

Must be something going on behind the scenes with him. They've barely played him at all since the Rams game. And he was playing a new position. Guess they had an extremely short leash.

31 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Still not a good enough team to win anything in the playoffs prolly wouldn't get us the division either all luck will do is make our pick worse 

If we get to the playoffs we could win it all. Every team looks beatable including the chiefs. Swoope and rogers return along with luck could help us go on a run. We just have to survive our division as the jags and texans are tough defensively

50 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If we get to the playoffs we could win it all. Every team looks beatable including the chiefs. Swoope and rogers return along with luck could help us go on a run. We just have to survive our division as the jags and texans are tough defensively

lmao are you serious please go see a Dr 

I think he sucks tbh lol. This is not a zone based defense no1 on this team seems to have any vision at corner to be playing off coverage..almost every big play was usually when we played off coverage and allowed free release..I mean even the Goodwin catch  right before the snap the announcer said you don't give the slot receiver a free release here then boom he blows by Davis who's 10 yards deep..don't even get me started on them not putting our best corner on garçon who was demolishing Melvin..run defense gets an  A tho it's improved greatly 

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Must be something going on behind the scenes with him. They've barely played him at all since the Rams game. And he was playing a new position. Guess they had an extremely short leash.

Unlike the majority of the people on this forum I actually like Green I am surprised he has not seen more playing time they could use him effectively in many ways I do not see him as a starter on this team but situationally he could make plays in a comfortable position playing up near the box and covering tight ends be better than Bostic or Morrison I even prefer him playing over Butler but I think if he was a 4th ish round pick people would be fine with his situation but you can not blame him for getting picked early that wasn't his choice so I have stayed high on him to be used effectively in situational scenarios but oh well

2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

His defense is 4 times worst than Manusky's.

5 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Exactly as vanilla as manusky was at times corners always played physical press coverage and contested (well toler played off coverage but we all knew why)  Ted just is forcing our corners to play a way they aren't good in 

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

He was awful in the Rams game and frankly others has been playing better.  Still if he was going to play today would have been the day.  Due to injury the Colts had next to nothing behind Davis and Melvin.

54 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Manusky was the second most affected guy by Ryan Grigson's pitiful roster building (first is Andrew).

Considering he never had any good young talent from the draft to work with, his whole defense was littered with all of Grigs's FA busts. The Landry's, the Toler's, the RJF's etc. People complained that his defense was too vanilla, but it's not like he had any good players to run a more sophisticated defense with.

Don't think he's a god by any means, but he's certainly proven himself in Washington recently.

Well, I didn't need a year or so sample size to see Monachino sucks as a DC.  His defenses are too predictable.  He actually does a good job with the initial game plan.  But then it takes about 1-1/2 quarters for an OC to figure out where the holes are in the pass defense and exploit it.

Like Supe said, there are guys running wide open and that is because of the predictability.  The other team learns that if they move the Z in this spot, that will cause the LB to do this and safety will do that and the hole will be right there.  Then combine that with a predictable rush package that is easily stopped and it leads to a lot of long passes to wide open receivers.

If I were Ballard, I would fire Monachino now, promote Gary Emanual and let him finish the season as DC.

2 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

That times a bazillion... lol

Look at Washington.. watch their defense play.  Was it the right move to fire him?

You mean the D that melted down and let the Chiefs score 12 points in the final quarter for the win?

Manusky is an average DC, but he is much better than Monachino.

8 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You mean the D that melted down and let the Chiefs score 12 points in the final quarter for the win?

Manusky is an average DC, but he is much better than Monachino.

Yes that one is much better than the one that has given up 92 points to two teams.  Not to mention our own meltdown to let the Cards win.

I wasn't a big fan of his either, but getting rid of him didn't make sense and it hasn't changed anything for the better.

Edit:  Mediocre teams at that... not an undefeated one.

1 minute ago, BR-549 said:

Yes that one is much better than the one that has given up 92 points to two teams.  Not to mention our own meltdown to let the Cards win.

I wasn't a big fan of his either, but getting rid of him didn't make sense and it hasn't changed anything for the better.

Edit:  Mediocre teams at that... not an undefeated one.

Maybe he asked to be let go.  Anyway, I'm not here to argue about Manusky, My only point was, he is not a good DC and I find it funny when people try to claim he was to make Monachino look bad.... especially because Monachino doesn't need anyone's help to look bad.

17 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I feel like Manusky did more with less. Hell we even shut a team out once  with Manusky.

No doubt he was not a good DC, but I think hes better than Monachino. Monachino is just awful.