Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Season opener vs Rams

42 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Last time we played the not very good Rams, they spanked us. 

So did the other 'not so good' team that year - Arizona.  Yet we beat SF and Seattle.

It's the NFL.  It's the first game.  Anything can happen.

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

The Rams aren't a good football team. We should win either way.

Thing is we don't have a good or even decent number two option anymore unlike when we had Matt Hasselbeck Tolzien is awful Morris has never started a game so we have no real game experience behind luck Tolzien has stated 2-3 games and was awful in every one of them so ya if for whatever reason Luck isn't ready week 1 we better have a better plan than Tolzien.

3 hours ago, Solon said:

I'm going. Don't stray too far from the stadium. You're going to be in the hood. 

The Superbowl of Motor Cross was held there in  76  & I kinda remember a Awesome All Day Concert when Dio joined Sabbath it was wild back then pick your poison East L.A or West L.A  driving in & around those areas can be troublesome they always were .  Don't stray is very good advice .

5 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

The Superbowl of Motor Cross was held there in  76  & I kinda remember a Awesome All Day Concert when Dio joined Sabbath it was wild back then pick your poison East L.A or West L.A  driving in & around those areas can be troublesome they always were .  Don't stray is very good advice .

Exactly. People think U.S.C is in an affluent area. It's not. It's in the middle of South LA. You'll never see the students walking south of MLK Blvd. or north of Exposition Blvd. It's so bad I can't even wear my Colts jersey and I literally live down the street. If I get caught wearing a Luck jersey, I might get shot.

2 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I always liked Sabbath's music with Dio over Ozzie...not by a lot, but enough.

16 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

How soon folks forget 

Not really sure what has been shown from this team to make people just mark wins easily. We can't even sweep the Jags. And the Browns took us to the wire last time we played 

19 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

That was Luck's worst game of his career, also right after he lost Reggie. The bottom fell out of the entire team after that happened. We would have been better off losing to Denver in Peyton's homecoming and keeping Reggie healthy. Kills me the way he tore his acl.

4 minutes ago, bababooey said:

That was Luck's worst game of his career, also right after he lost Reggie. The bottom fell out of the entire team after that happened. We would have been better off losing to Denver in Peyton's homecoming and keeping Reggie healthy. Kills me the way he tore his acl.

Yeah, since it is the first game of the season, all bets are off. Goff probably doesn't have much to lose by winging it out against our secondary and YAC is what I worry if we don't tackle well vs Tavon Austin, Todd Gurley etc.

Scoring points on the road is never easy, just have to keep the game manageable and close early so that we can make a few plays to gain an advantage and eventually force Goff to beat us. No easy points for a team that has anemic scoring by giving short field position with turnovers, if we do that, I think we will be able to withstand the road factor.

15 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Not saying we lose, but didn't we say Detroit last year and Buffalo in 2015 were easy wins? Lost both.

colts are 1-4 in opening day games in the Luck era. Anything can happen

Bufffalo IN Buffalo with THAT defense?      Easy win?

Sorry,   but no one who knows football thought that.......

And people who thought Detroit would be an easy win are the same people who think Jim Caldwell can't coach.  Which has now been proven false time after time....

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Bufffalo IN Buffalo with THAT defense?      Easy win?

Sorry,   but no one who knows football thought that.......

And people who thought Detroit would be an easy win are the same people who think Jim Caldwell can't coach.  Which has now been proven false time after time....

Okay maybe not EASY win, probably jumped the gun there.

But the Colts were also the pre season super bowl favourite. By fans and pundits alike. I certainly don't think many on here thought that they would lose that game. 

39 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Okay maybe not EASY win, probably jumped the gun there.

But the Colts were also the pre season super bowl favourite. By fans and pundits alike. I certainly don't think many on here thought that they would lose that game. 

I'm not sure who had us as the pre-season super bowl favorites?

Because for the past two seasons,   ESPN's pre-season analytics had the Colts projected to be right around 7-9 because we were old and slow and had a poor defense.        I remember posting about it and few here wanted to talk about that....

I suppose it's possible to have been the pre-season favorites in '15 (but not '16)  due to the fact that the Colst went to the AFC Championshp game (Deflategate)....       but I think that was an easy arm chair over-analysis which is why I posted about those reports that questioned the quality of our roster...

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure who had us as the pre-season super bowl favorites?

Because for the past two seasons,   ESPN's pre-season analytics had the Colts projected to be right around 7-9 because we were old and slow and had a poor defense.        I remember posting about it and few here wanted to talk about that....

I suppose it's possible to have been the pre-season favorites in '15 (but not '16)  due to the fact that the Colst went to the AFC Championshp game (Deflategate)....       but I think that was an easy arm chair over-analysis which is why I posted about those reports that questioned the quality of our roster...

Eh, I'm pretty sure before 2015 nearly everybody thought the Colts could make the super bowl. This was right after they signed Andre Johnson and Frank Gore, and drafted Philip Dorsett, so people figured the offense would be on some super team status. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/166300/2015-nfl-regular-season-predictions 

ESPN article had us going 13-3. (although it was Mike Wells making the prediction).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2015-nfl-predictions-our-picks-for-where-all-32-teams-finish/

All CBS writers had us winning the south. 2 Had us going to the super bowl.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/04/cover-two-nfl-division-predictions-order-of-finish

Both these SI writers had em winning the South

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/10/2015-nfl-predictions-baltimore-ravens-green-bay-packers

MMQB had em in the Championship game

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2438124-2015-nfl-schedule-w-l-predictions-for-every-team

And Bleacher had em at 13-3.

Again, just a few examples, and correct me if any of them seem inaccurate, 

Predictions about anything but the color of the uniforms is premature while they are wearing shorts. I'll know something when I see the reserves play in preseason, mainly which ones they are. If I see enough good players with the twos, I'll begin to believe. Until then I'll just sit around and hope Andrew makes it back in good shape. 

3 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Eh, I'm pretty sure before 2015 nearly everybody thought the Colts could make the super bowl. This was right after they signed Andre Johnson and Frank Gore, and drafted Philip Dorsett, so people figured the offense would be on some super team status. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/166300/2015-nfl-regular-season-predictions 

ESPN article had us going 13-3. (although it was Mike Wells making the prediction).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2015-nfl-predictions-our-picks-for-where-all-32-teams-finish/

All CBS writers had us winning the south. 2 Had us going to the super bowl.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/04/cover-two-nfl-division-predictions-order-of-finish

Both these SI writers had em winning the South

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/10/2015-nfl-predictions-baltimore-ravens-green-bay-packers

MMQB had em in the Championship game

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2438124-2015-nfl-schedule-w-l-predictions-for-every-team

And Bleacher had em at 13-3.

Again, just a few examples, and correct me if any of them seem inaccurate, 

I think I said the regular writers may have called the Colts....     but the people who do the analytics did not.

We pushed our chips to the center of the table with our free agent moves,  but the people who did the analytics were not impressed.      The regular writers who covered the team and the NFL certainly bought in on the Colts.      Sorry I wasn't more clear.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think I said the regular writers may have called the Colts....     but the people who do the analytics did not.

We pushed our chips to the center of the table with our free agent moves,  but the people who did the analytics were not impressed.      The regular writers who covered the team and the NFL certainly bought in on the Colts.      Sorry I wasn't more clear.

My bad nah I just misread your post. You right on that point.

But I think my point about a lot of people thinking the Colts would probably win against the Bills and Lions the last two years stands. At least a lot of the posters on here certainly thought so.

Either way, this game against LA is no gimme. No game in the NFL is, especially opening day on the road against a good D. 

On June 7, 2017 at 7:55 PM, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I always liked Sabbath's music with Dio over Ozzie...not by a lot, but enough.

I have the ut most respect for Ronnie. His voice had amazing range. I can't pit either metal man against the other one because it's like a parent forced to choose which child they love more? I just can't do it. 

I did like Ronnie's fascination with medieval castles though. Probably because I picture dragons in my head everytime I hear the song "Man On The Silver Mountain" on the radio. LOL! 

"Coming Down with fire; Light your spirit higher." 

Sorry, I love the imagery of his lyrics whether he was doing the Rainbow gig, Sabbath gig, or solo Dio stuff. An incredible performer live but I digress...

15 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

How soon folks forget 

Not really sure what has been shown from this team to make people just mark wins easily. We can't even sweep the Jags. And the Browns took us to the wire last time we played 

The Rams defense is tenacious especially with Aaron Donald. That guy is a 1 man wrecking crew. 

I'm not taking the LA Rams lightly at all now with Wade Phillips as their new DC. Crap. INDY has our work cut out for us no doubt TK. 

11 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I have the ut most respect for Ronnie. His voice had amazing range. I can't pit either metal man against the other one because it's like a parent forced to choose which child they love more? I just can't do it. 

I did like Ronnie's fascination with medieval castles though. Probably because I picture dragons in my head everytime I hear the song "Man On The Silver Mountain" on the radio. LOL! 

"Coming Down with fire; Light your spirit higher." 

Sorry, I love the imagery of his lyrics whether he was doing the Rainbow gig, Sabbath gig, or solo Dio stuff. An incredible performer live but I digress...

I felt like Dio took them in a different direction musically....it reportedly was one of the reasons for the break up with Ozzie.  They wanted more "Laguna Sunrise" and he wanted more "Electric Funeral"...if you get my drift?

11 hours ago, southwest1 said:

The Rams defense is tenacious especially with Aaron Donald. That guy is a 1 man wrecking crew. 

I'm not taking the LA Rams lightly at all now with Wade Phillips as their new DC. Crap. INDY has our work cut out for us no doubt TK. 

Agreed, Wade is going to get everything out of that D.  But I just don't see much with their offense.  

The Colts D SHOULD be much better against the run.  Stop Gurley and force Goff to beat press coverage.  

First games are always strange.  There will be upsets.  I expect a low scoring game no matter who plays QB for us.  

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Agreed, Wade is going to get everything out of that D.  But I just don't see much with their offense.  

The Colts D SHOULD be much better against the run.  Stop Gurley and force Goff to beat press coverage.  

First games are always strange.  There will be upsets.  I expect a low scoring game no matter who plays QB for us.  

Exactly, stop the run & we're halfway home. Goff doesn't scare me at all. 

I just hope Wade's defense doesn't punish Luck with piñata hits all game long. That concerns me. 

Uh huh. Week 1 is always dicey because nobody has really had legitimate contact yet across the line of scrimmage in a meaningful game. Sure, 2 teams can practice & do live goal line drills & 2 minute situations, but it's not the same until opening day of the regular season. I agree 100%

6 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I felt like Dio took them in a different direction musically....it reportedly was one of the reasons for the break up with Ozzie.  They wanted more "Laguna Sunrise" and he wanted more "Electric Funeral"...if you get my drift?

I know exactly what you mean. I know Ozzy was capable of doing ballads like "Goodbye to Romance" &  say "Dreamer" or "Close My Eyes Forever" a duo with Lita Ford that still holds up today. But, I always associate Ozzy with guitarists Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Tony Iommi. 

Whereas with Ronnie, all I focus on is his his voice with a supernatural mysticism to it & I don't really pay attention to who his guitarists were. Sure, I love a good riff as much as anybody, but Ronnie had a distinctive voice that pulled you in & almost put you in a trace. Very few heavy metal singers possessed that gift, but Ronnie sure as hades did. His version of "Mistreated" still gets me as much now as it did in 1976. 

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I know exactly what you mean. I know Ozzy was capable of doing ballads like "Goodbye to Romance" &  say "Dreamer" or "Close My Eyes Forever" a duo with Lita Ford that still holds up today. But, I always associate Ozzy with guitarists Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Tony Iommi. 

Whereas with Ronnie, all I focus on is his his voice with a supernatural mysticism to it & I don't really pay attention to who his guitarists were. Sure, I love a good riff as much as anybody, but Ronnie had a distinctive voice that pulled you in & almost put you in a trace. Very few heavy metal singers possessed that gift, but Ronnie sure as hades did. His version of "Mistreated" still gets me as much now as it did in 1976. 

I knew you would Brother...gotta play some now :rock: