Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tarell Basham, DE/OLB, Ohio: Film Study

9 minutes ago, SVFD Colts Fan said:

I was so bummed out last night I missed this pick because the satellite went out.. We had 5+ inches of rain over night. The one thing I read is that he will be more of an edge setter than the rush backer. Any input on this.

That's accurate.  Won't start, at least not right away, but should be good as a fill in.

That film study that @stitches posted above is really good!

Most of Basham's sacks seem to be clean up/effort sacks, similar to Walden's last year. He doesn't have much bend at all unfortunately. He's also not the strongest player. I don't know, I am still having trouble justifying this pick when Derek Rivers was on the board.

I'm just not sure how he's going to win in the league. He does nothing exceptionally well. I sincerely hope I'm wrong on this one.

Just now, stitches said:

Most of Basham's sacks seem to be clean up/effort sacks, similar to Walden's last year. He doesn't have much bend at all unfortunately. He's also not the strongest player. I don't know, I am still having trouble justifying this pick when Derek Rivers was on the board. I sincerely hope I'm wrong on this one.

Get Robert Mathis as OLB consultant (not coach because that will take too much time Mathis won't want to do it) and teach him a move or two. First, the bend, and next the spin, or with NFL strength, set the guy up with a bull rush before a stunt. :) 

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Get Robert Mathis as OLB consultant (not coach because that will take too much time Mathis won't want to do it) and teach him a move or two. First, the bend, and next the spin, or with NFL strength, set the guy up with a bull rush before a stunt. :) 

Hey man, I hope you are right. It's not like those players are finished products coming into the league. I wonder how involved Mathis is going to be with our pass-rushers.

9 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's some a video from Matt Waldman and Fran Duffy, who is employed by the Philadelphia Eagles breaking down film of new Colts pass rusher Tarell Basham:

Thanks for this.
 Looks like a solid guy to develop.  Really like the length.

4 hours ago, FalseStart said:

I really feel we ticked the Pats off with this pick.  That's why they needed to trade back up and grab Rivers...:1colts:

I kind of wanted Rivers instead. I've seen Rivers a few times and was impressed. I hope the Pats don't make us look bad on this one.

Is it just me, or is it hard to take a guy seriously when he's holding a web cam in his bedroom?  Plus what does a film guy know about evaluating players?

This is not a knock on Besham, I'm looking forward to watching somed film of him.  But I could not stop from laughing at the opening of the video linked here.

9 hours ago, stitches said:

Most of Basham's sacks seem to be clean up/effort sacks, similar to Walden's last year. He doesn't have much bend at all unfortunately. He's also not the strongest player. I don't know, I am still having trouble justifying this pick when Derek Rivers was on the board.

I'm just not sure how he's going to win in the league. He does nothing exceptionally well. I sincerely hope I'm wrong on this one.

couldn't disagree more

Maybe he'll be good, maybe he won't.  But complaining we got a guy to address a need because we didn't get the one you wanted when we haven't seen the guy play one down in the NFL is kinda wasted energy IMHO.  Not many liked Mathis when we got him either.  Too small, not good against the run, played at a small school, etc.  He worked out OK.  Let's give this guy a chance.  Just my 2 cents.  Do what you want tho.

16 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's some a video from Matt Waldman and Fran Duffy, who is employed by the Philadelphia Eagles breaking down film of new Colts pass rusher Tarell Basham:

On about the 5 min mark of this video Basham goes against Banner in this video you originally posted. Interesting since its our 3rd and first 4th round picks.

Granted, I don't watch film, but rather try to catch games of interesting prospects during the year.  I caught two Y-state games during the year and listened to announcers talk Rivers up.  He didn't do diddly either game.  Not only did he fail to dominate, but he was pretty invisible.  He racked up sacks in other games, apparently, but I saw no special characteristics.  To me: looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

4 minutes ago, Archer said:

Granted, I don't watch film, but rather try to catch games of interesting prospects during the year.  I caught two Y-state games during the year and listened to announcers talk Rivers up.  He didn't do diddly either game.  Not only did he fail to dominate, but he was pretty invisible.  He racked up sacks in other games, apparently, but I saw no special characteristics.  To me: looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Basham looks very good.

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

Basham looks like a high effort guy who could be a solid member of the rotation, but I doubt he's our next Freeney/Mathis.  Still need to find that player.  

When Mathis was drafted not many people if any thought he's be the next anything. He was what a 6th? Yeah. Basham was projected by some as a late 1st, and his expected slot according to most was somewhere in the 2nd.

27 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

When Mathis was drafted not many people if any thought he's be the next anything. He was what a 6th? Yeah. Basham was projected by some as a late 1st, and his expected slot according to most was somewhere in the 2nd.

I'm just going by what I see.  Not overly concerned where he was drafted, or where some may have projected him to be drafted.

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

I'm just going by what I see.  Not overly concerned where he was drafted.  

I got ya. Just different opinions on him. But IMO. By Basham's 2nd season he should be able to give us 10ish sacks a year. We just need another beast next to him now.

I watched some of Basham last night. I like him. I'm more impressed by his film than Rivers, Bowser and Willis. A phrase Ballard used several times over the weekend was "good initial quickness," which is obvious on Basham's tape. He comes off the ball with fury; Ballard described this as his "unique trait." He takes on blockers violently, has strong, active hands, and a good rip move to disengage. He has pretty good speed for his size in the open field, and decent closing speed. He is not bendy and flexible, doesn't turn the corner sharply and flatten to the ball/QB. He's pretty good at working across the face of the blocker, but a good blocker with good hands and footwork can lock him down. He needs to develop a better go-to pass rush move, and a secondary move. He has a messy spin that I don't think he'll be able to use effectively in the NFL. Needs to do a better job of converting speed to power. He has burst, motor, tenacity -- I'd call him a glass eater for sure. He can be beat by a ball carrier in the open field, even a shifty QB. Decent spatial awareness to drop back in short area coverage. He can set a disciplined edge, but might lose focus here and there.

I think he's a strong 3rd round pick. Everyone kind of fell in love with Rivers, Willis and Bowser, but Basham is right up there with them. He can contribute right away, and develop into a starting OLB with Rush backer potential, but is probably best suited as a secondary pass rusher. He can definitely play Sam. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I watched some of Basham last night. I like him. I'm more impressed by his film than Rivers, Bowser and Willis. A phrase Ballard used several times over the weekend was "good initial quickness," which is obvious on Basham's tape. He comes off the ball with fury; Ballard described this as his "unique trait." He takes on blockers violently, has strong, active hands, and a good rip move to disengage. He has pretty good speed for his size in the open field, and decent closing speed. He is not bendy and flexible, doesn't turn the corner sharply and flatten to the ball/QB. He's pretty good at working across the face of the blocker, but a good blocker with good hands and footwork can lock him down. He needs to develop a better go-to pass rush move, and a secondary move. He has a messy spin that I don't think he'll be able to use effectively in the NFL. Needs to do a better job of converting speed to power. He has burst, motor, tenacity -- I'd call him a glass eater for sure. He can be beat by a ball carrier in the open field, even a shifty QB. Decent spatial awareness to drop back in short area coverage. He can set a disciplined edge, but might lose focus here and there.

I think he's a strong 3rd round pick. Everyone kind of fell in love with Rivers, Willis and Bowser, but Basham is right up there with them. He can contribute right away, and develop into a starting OLB with Rush backer potential, but is probably best suited as a secondary pass rusher. He can definitely play Sam. 

I do wonder if he will slim down to play olb. I imagine he could be potentially even more explosive at 260, than 270. If he was in that 245-255 range of Willis, Rivers and Bowser then I am sure he would match their measurables. I don't want him ahedding that much weight though.

He is such a high effort guy, and looks as powerful as any rusher in the class. I am intrigued about the length.

8 hours ago, #12. said:

Basham looks like a high effort guy who could be a solid member of the rotation, but I doubt he's our next Freeney/Mathis.  Still need to find that player.  

That is also why we invested in Sheard and Simon, guys who can teach Basham a thing or two about developing pass rush moves as well. Both are signed for 3 years, aren't they? That is only going to improve our LB chemistry over time, IMO, continuity. As much as we'd like to think a 1st round rookie pass rusher should contribute, history says otherwise. 

See this article:

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015/1/21/7629011/2015-nfl-draft-what-can-you-expect-from-a-rookie-pass-rusher

As opposed to that, safety is a position like Center and TEs, fewer are drafted in round 1 but there is a greater hit rate than miss rate in history. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

As opposed to that, safety is a position like Center and TEs, fewer are drafted in round 1 but there is a greater hit rate than miss rate in history.

I think that's partly because teams are more selective about the safeties, centers and TEs they draft early. They have to really love them to take them in the first round, especially early in the first. With pass rushers, it's almost like 'yeah, he's raw and needs a lot of work, but he's a pass rusher, and he had a great Combine!' I wasn't really head over heels with most of the first round edge guys this year, especially past Garrett, Thomas and Barnett (and I took some time getting warmed up to Barnett). But I loved Hooker and Adams, and loved OJ Howard. I think all three of them are can't miss guys.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

That is also why we invested in Sheard and Simon, guys who can teach Basham a thing or two about developing pass rush moves as well. Both are signed for 3 years, aren't they? That is only going to improve our LB chemistry over time, IMO, continuity. As much as we'd like to think a 1st round rookie pass rusher should contribute, history says otherwise. 

See this article:

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015/1/21/7629011/2015-nfl-draft-what-can-you-expect-from-a-rookie-pass-rusher

Yes,  both are 3-year deals,  but I've read we can get out of Simon's deal after the first year if we want with little to no cap damage.    I don't expect that as Simon has "winner" stamped on him.   Team's win with guys like him, even if eventually he's not a starter.     

I think we did good signing those two guys,  but we quickly want to upgrade from them over the next few years.   Basham this year,  someone else in 18,   and some other player in 19.     As we do that,  we'll phase out Sheard and Simon....

10 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I think he meant just the ridiculous hall of fame production more so than bashing where he was picked... 

6 hours ago, Superman said:

It's amazing. Every time an interviewer tries to pry strategy out of Ballard or attempts to figure out the direction he's going, Ballard has just one answer for them; UNIQUE TRAITS baby!

2 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I think he meant just the ridiculous hall of fame production more so than bashing where he was picked... 

It's amazing. Every time an interviewer tries to pry strategy out of Ballard or attempts to figure out the direction he's going, Ballard has just one answer for them; UNIQUE TRAITS baby!

"No, right, so listen, no look, if a guy has a UNIQUE TRAIT..."

Basham, if he perfects the spin move and gains strength, has more of the Freeney body type than Mathis' body type though slower than Freeney. I expect him to be productive. That is all you can ask for with a 3rd round pick, solid starter eventually.

On the contrary, I felt Rivers would not be able to play 3 downs even with NFL strength regimen, and would be more of a situational player unless they use him in coverage a lot of times like Jamie Collins. 

I think Basham will end up being more than a situational player. Now, it is all up to the coaching.