Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign NT Al Woods (Merge)

stitches

1 hour ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Why even bring him to visit if he's not worth 8 million dollars? Obviously the only way he wouldn't be is if he still has lingering health issues. But if he did then, again, why bring him to visit? 

You give a dude like Sheard 8 mil a year for multiple years yet you can't bring in Poe? 

This one will need further explaining from the brigade of those who will come to explain the logic

Maybe its not about overpaying. Maybe Poe took less money to go to a better team knowing he can still get paid big time next year. And then when Ballard knew we were not getting Poe, he settled with Al Woods.

Gotta fill the roster somehow. I said we would be disappointed with how free agency turned out because we believe this team is better than other NFL players do.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Johnson was terrible.
 Woods it appears can actually stuff the run a bit so that is an upgrade to Parry.
 And he can actually impose his length in the passing game at 6"4" and 36" arms, again Parry offered
 No Effect in that area. A nice upgrade.

I expect nothing less from you, you spout stuff just because you like or dislike a player.

He was a key member of our 2009 SB squad and our run D on short yardage was real good thanks to him (SB stop on 4th down vs the Saints before the half, several stops vs Ravens and Broncos in short yardage situations in the regular season etc.). You just need to go back, take a look and refresh your memory as to how him holding the fort in the middle helped the others that year. He was by no means a Haloti Ngata, but he was more than serviceable compared to the lousy Keyunta Dawsons and other tweeners we employed in the middle over the Dungy years.

8 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Better be as a backup. Sign some real players and quit worrying about 4 years from now.

Not sure what you mean.

Ballard is basically tendering his own free agents "draft picks". He didn't like the options we had. 

Not all of them will stick, but we will likely look back and say a few of these moves were really good. What do we lose? There is really no downside to his approach. 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Seems like Ballard is trying to add depth in defense with young guys.  I think he's planning on getting the future "stars" of the defense through the draft.

I sure hope so because as of now right , we don't have a single player that is NFL starting quality on the front 7. Ballard is buying discounted junk.:bored:

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

What about McGill & Ridgeway? Are we just supposed to hand them the starting job just because they played a few good games last season? That's how you end up with lazy players & unproductive players

Ballard is creating competition on this roster. No one is safe except #12 & #13. 

If you're a starter, would you feel more inclined to play well & excel when

1. You're handed the job and you know the guy behind you has no chance to take it from you. 

Or 

2. When you've earned the starting job by beating out the other guy in camp but you know if you slip up, he's gonna take the job from you.

Which scenario would you be more inclined to play better in? 

I don't really consider it handing them the job when they both(especially McGill) proved themselves last year.  I get what your saying, open competition is great.  I just think this guy was brought in for depth, just my opinion.  If he ends up pushing other players or starting 16 games then good for him!  This is the first free agent signing I've personally said anything about being signed for depth. 

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I sure hope so because as of now right , we don't have a single player that is NFL starting quality on the front 7. Ballard is buying discounted junk.:bored:

I disagre with that.  Langford and Anderson have proven they are starting material,  I think Simon and Sheard are as well,  clearly more work to be done but they do have some starters.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Better be as a backup. Sign some real players and quit worrying about 4 years from now.

I think Colts fans have no choice but to wait a couple of years. When a GM says he is going to build through the draft, it takes years. And our roster needs alot of rebuilding, its very talent deficient.

12 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I think Colts fans have no choice but to wait a couple of years. When a GM says he is going to build through the draft, it takes years. And our roster needs alot of rebuilding, its very talent deficient.

The hell with that. Now we have to come out of this draft with like 3 day 1 starters, (EDGE, ILB, CB)  and a couple other really good players who ball out as rotational players and who'll start by their 2nd season. (EDGE, RB) Then we need to hit on a gem in the 5th or if we trade back the 6th, or an UDFA.

3 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Why even bring him to visit if he's not worth 8 million dollars? Obviously the only way he wouldn't be is if he still has lingering health issues. But if he did then, again, why bring him to visit? 

You give a dude like Sheard 8 mil a year for multiple years yet you can't bring in Poe? 

This one will need further explaining from the brigade of those who will come to explain the logic

The predominating theory is that we wanted Poe long term and he wanted none of it. 

But there are a ton of factors other than money that he could have based his decision on. Maybe he didnt get along with Ballard. Maybe he doesnt like the coaches. Maybe he wanted to play on a 4-3 and didnt like our system. Maybe he doesnt like Indy as a city. Maybe he doesnt like a bunch of the players we have. Maybe he wants a chance at a ring. Maybe he just wants more prime time games to get more national exposure and help his stock for next year (chances are a team in the super bowl last year will get more than an 8-8 team). It could be something as simple as he asked his Mom (who is a huge part of his life) where she would rather visit him. Or maybe he liked everything about us, but liked the Falcons just a bit more. 

The fact is, we made a play for him and he chose to go elsewhere, just like all the other top players linked to us. We dont know why, but there have been reports that we were competitive money wise on most of the other players contract offers and lost them for reasons that werent about money. I am under the impression that this is no different. 

40 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

The hell with that. Now we have to come out of this draft with like 3 day 1 starters, (EDGE, ILB, CB)  and a couple other really good players who ball out as rotational players and who'll start by their 2nd season. (EDGE, RB) Then we need to hit on a gem in the 5th or if we trade back the 6th, or an UDFA.

We need more than just that, we need to get a Free Safety, a nickel, a Nose Tackle, another ILB (but maybe not as a starter), a 2nd choice TE and depth at guard (personally I think we could do with a true slot reciever but never mind). It's just not likely all these holes plus the ones you have mentioned will be fixed in two years if Ballard doesn't invest in the FA. Its going to be a long term project no matter which way you look at it.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

And Simon/Sheard can't start because?

30 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

And Simon/Sheard can't start because?

Seriously? I'm perfectly fine with ONE of them starting, but I want Takk/Williams/Charlton starting next to them. All of which, IMO will be studs.

But if Simon and Sheard can give us 8-12 sacks apiece that would be fine. We may not find our version of  a Miller, Mack, or Houston, etc... But we need our own version of a Danielle Hunter, Markus Golden, Chandler Jones, etc. 

7 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

All these little 2.5 Mil contracts could've been added up to one very good starter. I understand that you need the depth, but still. How many of these dudes are gonna make an impact for this team? 

i agree, we need impact players

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I think you are REALLY far removed from reality. You say all this stuff as if it should just happen and you think the Colts can just go get this guy, that guy and this guy like it's no problem and that any and every player the Colts want will and automatically should sign with the Colts. It's sooooo far from reality and not how thing actually work. Bottom line is this process of building a championship caliber team is gonna take 2-3 solid offseasons at least, and not offseasons of spending 100 million on the big name players in FA either, because look at history of teams that have done that overall, it doesn't favor them. Yes there have been a few that have worked out but not the majority. Look at where all the big time spending has gotten Jacksonville so far? You really build your team through the draft and that's what Ballard has said our approach will be. You set your self up for your dissapointment by not heeding what he said, that's on you. Ballard has shown he knows how to build a team, specifically a defense. 

3 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

it is hard to build a team for a few years from now, by the time a few years pass the players we have now some will have moved on for more money,gms have to build for each season like it will be the only season there is

I'm not one of those guys that says you need to take 3 years to build a championship team, because as far as I'm concerned, if you're in the playoffs you have a chance and I think this team should still make the playoffs. However, it's incredibly unrealistic to expect us to have a good player to plug all of our holes in one off-season. 

5 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

are the players he signed better than the ones he let go? if they are we will be better than last year

9 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

That's what you have to do in year 1 with a team littered with gaping holes.  Think:  all these little 2.5 mil contracts for possible depth players, and we still have numerous huge sports to fill.

I like it.  Sign 8-10 very low risk reasonably priced free agents, almost all of whom are young and talented but who have underperformed thus far in their careers, to battle out with 9 draft picks.  Will be a huge infusion of talent based on what we've seen in the past.

very well said sir.

19 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

...and Parry, and Jones.

Would anyone be surprised if our starting NT next year is Aurthur Jones? He's 6'3" and 320. I know he's been hurt but he is a good run stopper, when healthy. If they don't go after Hankins or a NT in the first three rounds, they may keep Jones and see how he plays.

12 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Would anyone be surprised if our starting NT next year is Aurthur Jones? He's 6'3" and 320. I know he's been hurt but he is a good run stopper, when healthy. If they don't go after Hankins or a NT in the first three rounds, they may keep Jones and see how he plays.

I would be  very surprised if Jones is on the team period. I would be even more surprised if we paid Hankins. I think we draft a guy to play NT. I say Big Stevie in the 5th is good value.