Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Ballard Make a Trade?

Dark Superman

Ballard showed off some gutsy moves early in his tender as the new Colts GM. I was wondering if anyone thought he could possibly make a trade for a player using one of our 2018 draft picks (1st or 2nd) like Grigson had when he landed Vontae Davis.

Luck is entering his 6th season and the talent on the roster didn't look very promising last season. Is there a sense of urgency to build this roster quicker since Ballard was handed the keys to the team with Luck already in his prime. Ryan Grigson failed to deliver Andrew a solid defense, a game changing RB and an offensive line. Who knows how good Luck can actually be having those things at his arsenal. I couldn't believe Luck took the Colts to the playoffs in his first three seasons here with how poorly our roster was.

Perhaps there's now a sudden urgency to finally deliver Andrew the roster he needs to compete at a high level and be able to take us to the next level without having to do everything on his own.

People look at me like I'm stupid when I tell them I wouldn't mind the Colts drafting Cook or someone else on the offensive side of the ball. Luck needs to be surrounded with more talent on both sides of the ball. I hope Ballard can finally bring that to type of balance to our team sooner rather than later.

No I don't think Ballard is going to mortgage future picks for any hopes at going for it all this season. Why would he? 

Think about it.

A) Grigson put us in a hole talent wise, Irsay knows that. Ballard knows that Irsay knows it, which is why he has been cleaning house with no complaints at all from Irsay. This means Irsay knows that the shape of the roster this season and even next cant be put on Ballard. He has time to select the players he wants to fit how he thinks the team should be built... He is under no pressure to mortgage future picks and pay over the top money for FAs for some "immediate" success... He said so himself in his first presser... Expectations need to be kept low, at least for this season.

B) Irsay has put Pagano on notice and EVERYONE knows it.... If he can't get the team that Ballard gives him this season to perform well and get us to at least the AFCCG he is out of the door. Meaning.... if the team plays bad this year, it's Paganos head on the block, not Ballards... He can approach FA with the look of getting depth players with potential upside and have time to draft and develop his future starters... without any responsibility for how this season goes record wise.

C) Luck isn't actually that old yet guys... He is a single day older than me. When the season starts he will be 28.... 28 guys....

Tom Brady is 39, just won a Superbowl and doesnt look like he is slowing down at all... Let's not act like our SB window with Luck is about to close. This regime will be given the proper time to build a team and to do it the right way... not the "Dream Team" way...... and we all know how that one ended.

27 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I hope he trades a 2nd next year for Malcom Butler from Pats or Sheldon Richardson from Jets...We have the cap room to extend either guy....

I wouldn't mind either, but they need to act fast since the Saints are approaching on Butler fast. I wouldn't mind the Colts trading for a difference maker at DT or CB. Even OLB is still a great need. I agree that I would want it to be a pick in the 2018 draft since were drafting in the middle of the pack this year. Next season the Colts could be picking in the 20's and losing a second for someone like Butler is something I could live with.

24 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

No I don't think Ballard is going to mortgage future picks for any hopes at going for it all this season. Why would he? 

Think about it.

A) Grigson put us in a hole talent wise, Irsay knows that. Ballard knows that Irsay knows it, which is why he has been cleaning house with no complaints at all from Irsay. This means Irsay knows that the shape of the roster this season and even next cant be put on Ballard. He has time to select the players he wants to fit how he thinks the team should be built... He is under no pressure to mortgage future picks and pay over the top money for FAs for some "immediate" success... He said so himself in his first presser... Expectations need to be kept low, at least for this season.

B) Irsay has put Pagano on notice and EVERYONE knows it.... If he can't get the team that Ballard gives him this season to perform well and get us to at least the AFCCG he is out of the door. Meaning.... if the team plays bad this year, it's Paganos head on the block, not Ballards... He can approach FA with the look of getting depth players with potential upside and have time to draft and develop his future starters... without any responsibility for how this season goes record wise.

C) Luck isn't actually that old yet guys... He is a single day older than me. When the season starts he will be 28.... 28 guys....

Tom Brady is 39, just won a Superbowl and doesnt look like he is slowing down at all... Let's not act like our SB window with Luck is about to close. This regime will be given the proper time to build a team and to do it the right way... not the "Dream Team" way...... and we all know how that one ended.

Pagano is definitely on the chopping block. Ballard should be given 8 years since Grigson was allowed five. I have nothing but faith in Ballard and trust him. We just need to be patient and allow him some time to help this team rebuild.

Agreed. I do not want to draft cook because i think it is a "waste" of a pick when we won't have many chances to pick 15 again for a long time IMO. He is a great player. But we have so many other neees. I think difference making RB's can be found in rounds 2-4. I'm confident we don't draft RB with our first pick.

1 hour ago, Rick_Grimes said:

I wouldn't mind either, but they need to act fast since the Saints are approaching on Butler fast. I wouldn't mind the Colts trading for a difference maker at DT or CB. Even OLB is still a great need. I agree that I would want it to be a pick in the 2018 draft since were drafting in the middle of the pack this year. Next season the Colts could be picking in the 20's and losing a second for someone like Butler is something I could live with.

But then you have to give the pats your 1st round pick

With a swiss cheese roster that Griggles left him, Ballard needs all the picks he can get to try to get some good players and some actual depth on this team. 

I always have the image of that Flex Seal commercial when I think of what Griggles left Ballard. 

Grigson left Ballard a boat with a screen in the bottom, and now Ballard has to make the boat float. 

Related image

17 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

With a swiss cheese roster that Griggles left him, Ballard needs all the picks he can get to try to get some good players and some actual depth on this team. 

I always have the image of that Flex Seal commercial when I think of what Griggles left Ballard. 

Grigson left Ballard a boat with a screen in the bottom, and now Ballard has to make the boat float. 

Related image

Billy Mays 2.0. Only thing that guy is missing is a beard. 

4 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Think about it.

Pagano being on the chopping block is an assumption made by everyone. We don't know what's going on with him. Just because everyone thinks he's gone next year doesn't mean he will be. 

In all fairness, it's easy to play until age 39 when you're not getting hit.  Luck doesn't have that luxury.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I would trade a second for Trumaine Johnson.  If we don't sign Poe or Hankins I would trade our 1st. to the Browns for Dan Shelton their starting NT and their 2nd. and 3rd.  Then they could trade two 1st's, and not the no.1 overall, to the Pats for Garapolo. 

I would have them on the phone ASAP! Love the idea of extra picks in 2nd and 3rd in this deep draft..Shelton would basically be our 1st rd pick....Id almost rather do this than sign Poe...

4 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Pagano being on the chopping block is an assumption made by everyone. We don't know what's going on with him. Just because everyone thinks he's gone next year doesn't mean he will be. 

I think it's pretty obvious that he's on the hotseat and he should be.

I disagree with the poster you quoted though because the poster said he has to get us to the AFC Championship game.  I think just getting us back in the playoffs will likely suffice to keep Pagano on.

In fact I think asking him to get us back to the AFC Championship game again is an unfair expectation. 

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

Its easy to complete plasses like that too. I mean we have seen HOF caliber backups vs the colts. 

I think our defense is looking to be big , scary, hard hitting, and fast this year..We get the right RB in draft this year we are legit condenders...That being said, it will probably take half the season for new aqcuisitions to learn and be ablw to react fast...We need to escaple rhe 1st half of year at least 500..

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I disagree with the poster you quoted though because the poster said he has to get us to the AFC Championship game.  I think just getting us back in the playoffs will likely suffice to keep Pagano on.

In fact I think asking him to get us back to the AFC Championship game again is an unfair expectation. 

Flappy hands is on his 9th life, AFC championship or he needs to be gone PERIOD!

Think about it.

We should have been 12-4 last year...Poor coaching cost us 4 games! We are VERY close if rest of free agency and draft are gome runs which looks to be a possibility

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

We should have been 12-4 last year...Poor coaching cost us 4 games! We are VERY close if rest of free agency and draft are gome runs which looks to be a possibility

Coulda, shoulda, woulda, didn't......

Also, can you prove to me that the coaching cost us 4 games? If the players were that good, the coaching calls wouldn't have had that much of an impact... It's a very easy get out to make a scapegoat of the coaching staff. If you were watching ANY of last season, you'd have seen our entire defense (outside of maybe 3 or 4 individual players) was a dumpster fire. Pathetic pass rush, consistently giving opposing QB's all day to throw against us, a long suffering secondary because of my previous point and a run defense who got run all over....

We were an 8-8 team and that's what the record books will show. This team was not as close to 12-4 as you make it out to be.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Hi! I'm the poster he quoted!

The fact that it is an unfair expectation doesnt matter. This is the NFL we are talking about. Pagano has had 5 previous seasons to prove his abilities... and he did in 2012, 13 and 14, taking over an arguably worse roster than the one he has now.... It wouldnt have been fair to expect him to make that team go 11-5 and even make the playoffs... but he did. Now he has a true Veteran in Luck at QB and an offense that should be good to go. Work that D (which is supposed to be his specialty) and get us there, or face the music.... 

Maaayyybe expecting AFCCG was a bit of an overstatement, but this team needs to show some serious improvement under Pags, especially on that D side of the ball... or he is out. Playoffs and a team that looks like it has turned that defensive corner or bust i think....

4 hours ago, Indy1996 said:

But then you have to give the pats your 1st round pick

I think the Saints are willing to give up their second round pick for Butler and might be seeing if the Patriots will take it. Patriots, unless the Browns are suckers, will not have a first or second round pick and the Saints know that their low second rounder may work in this case.

20 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

The fact that it is an unfair expectation doesnt matter. This is the NFL we are talking about. Pagano has had 5 previous seasons to prove his abilities... and he did in 2012, 13 and 14, taking over an arguably worse roster than the one he has now.... It wouldnt have been fair to expect him to make that team go 11-5 and even make the playoffs... but he did. Now he has a true Veteran in Luck at QB and an offense that should be good to go. Work that D (which is supposed to be his specialty) and get us there, or face the music.... 

Maaayyybe expecting AFCCG was a bit of an overstatement, but this team needs to show some serious improvement under Pags, especially on that D side of the ball... or he is out. Playoffs and a team that looks like it has turned that defensive corner or bust i think....

I agree with Valpo. Irsay seems to love Pagano so much that making the playoffs will save his job... unless the rumors are true and we bring Peyton in and he picks another coach.

6 hours ago, Rick_Grimes said:

Ballard showed off some gutsy moves early in his tender as the new Colts GM. I was wondering if anyone thought he could possibly make a trade for a player using one of our 2018 draft picks (1st or 2nd) like Grigson had when he landed Vontae Davis.

Luck is entering his 6th season and the talent on the roster didn't look very promising last season. Is there a sense of urgency to build this roster quicker since Ballard was handed the keys to the team with Luck already in his prime. Ryan Grigson failed to deliver Andrew a solid defense, a game changing RB and an offensive line. Who knows how good Luck can actually be having those things at his arsenal. I couldn't believe Luck took the Colts to the playoffs in his first three seasons here with how poorly our roster was.

Perhaps there's now a sudden urgency to finally deliver Andrew the roster he needs to compete at a high level and be able to take us to the next level without having to do everything on his own.

People look at me like I'm stupid when I tell them I wouldn't mind the Colts drafting Cook or someone else on the offensive side of the ball. Luck needs to be surrounded with more talent on both sides of the ball. I hope Ballard can finally bring that to type of balance to our team sooner rather than later.

Luck probably has another 10 years its safe to say...why go for broke now? We aren't close it would take many pieces and they would all have to work perfectly before we would even get back to a place we were close to a SB. If it fails it might take another 3 years to tear it down and before you know it you've ruined 6-7 years of Luck. Just build it naturally...if you get a team capable of winning the SB...then you start to push your chips in. It's way way way too soon to panic.....I mean it took Peyton like 6 years before we were in the discussion of SB caliber teams. I think what is most important is to build this team up so that we aren't just a one and done or a couple year thing. We want to build through the draft so we can have SUSTAINED excellence. Luck is the type of qb that if you build a good core he can have you competing for a decade like Peyton did. Much better chance for success than to go all in and have it blow up like we saw in Philadelphia or just have a one hit wonder that you can't sustain the contracts or you don't have the young guys to keep you up there like maybe say you see in a team like the Florida Marlins or some instance like that. I think if we are patient we will see this thing get built up right....and if we put a quality team around Luck we can compete for championship for a long time.

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Luck probably has another 10 years its safe to say...why go for broke now? We aren't close it would take many pieces and they would all have to work perfectly before we would even get back to a place we were close to a SB. If it fails it might take another 3 years to tear it down and before you know it you've ruined 6-7 years of Luck. Just build it naturally...if you get a team capable of winning the SB...then you start to push your chips in. It's way way way too soon to panic.....I mean it took Peyton like 6 years before we were in the discussion of SB caliber teams. I think what is most important is to build this team up so that we aren't just a one and done or a couple year thing. We want to build through the draft so we can have SUSTAINED excellence. Luck is the type of qb that if you build a good core he can have you competing for a decade like Peyton did. Much better chance for success than to go all in and have it blow up like we saw in Philadelphia or just have a one hit wonder that you can't sustain the contracts or you don't have the young guys to keep you up there like maybe say you see in a team like the Florida Marlins or some instance like that. I think if we are patient we will see this thing get built up right....and if we put a quality team around Luck we can compete for championship for a long time.

We think very much alike on this topic. 

I agree with "jshipp23", I call him "the clapper" though.  He's had enough chances, second chance to make a difference on the team...He's failing to make a team accountable for their mistakes is costing him the chance to get to the next level and that's the championship.  You need a firm coach but fair and this clapping don't cut it.

3 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I honestly think that the only thing that can save Pagano at this point is a good, competitive playoff run. But if they end up going 8-8 again and missing the playoffs, for a 3rd year in a row, you can book it, he's a goner.

5 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I say it was a lack of talent I think Pagano has made the most from sub par rosters over achieved even . I know I am in the minority but name a coach that has a comparable record that has had worked with rosters so void of talent heck even hoodie had a much worse win percentage in his first stint . A coach can only do so much when they don't have the talent to work with .

13 hours ago, jet1968 said:

I think he will think short term in free agency without trading away draft picks. And build long term in the draft. Even though they have a "younger and faster " thing going on 

i agree draft is more long term very few picks can start on day 1, but i think most gms dont give up on any season and they try to put a team together that can win it all every season

16 hours ago, Rick_Grimes said:

Do the math bro its not his 6th season js

20 hours ago, will426 said:

Trade for butler? Lol why he's a product of NE system and while he is an agressive little guy that man gets dogged at times even worse than an injured vontae WITH safety help 

Agreed.  It's hard to say he would succeed in another system (I guess you can say the same of anyone else).  I've seen him get burned a couple times before the ball was even snapped

6 hours ago, Indy1996 said:

Do the math bro its not his 6th season js

6 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17.

2017-18 will be his 6th NFL season.

lolololololol
Math can be hard.... but come on Indy1996.....

18 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Lets all be honest Pagano didn't Coach the 2012 season all those wins beside what 2 came from BA. In my mind the 2012 season has an * next to it and Pagano has two different records 2012-2016* record (49-31*) 61.25 winning%* and then a 2013-2016 record (38-26) 59.38 winning% which is his real sample as how good of a head coach he is.

This is without playoffs. Include those games you get 2012 (49-32*) 60.49 winning% and (41-28) 59.42 winning%. So we are looking at a 1.07-1.87 difference in winning%.