Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did anybody see D. Allen's dig on the Colts.....

coltsfansince65

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I side w Allen slightly, our offense looks primitive at points ... Andrew Luck runs a 4.6 40, 'supposedly' one of the most cerebral to play the position & still hasn't been given the reigns. If we don't incorporate some quick hitting patterns & just show ability to stress a defense horizontally as well as vertically (less of this wrks for me) Idk what to think anymore.

long story short ... ughhhh Chud get it together 

1 hour ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Allen's full quote read,  “I want to win and I understand that the more skills I can provide the offense, then hopefully the more mismatches that can be created for myself and other players. That’s what I’m about. I’m excited to be utilized as a football player again and not be confined to any box, but just to be a football player, a tight end.”

Yeah, you mean like the mismatch of you against Clowney? Can't wait till Brady starts stamping his feet when stone hands drops a few TD passes.

That mismatch was clearly against DA, Luck and the Colts coaching staff.  For Anyone to think DA could remotely block Clowney was absolutely stupid.  Luck should've seen that, they should've helped DA, unless he thinks he can actually block Monster ends.  I saw that myself before the play happened and thought to myself wth??!!  

Sheer stupidity on the Colts behalf, that should not happen.  Miscommunication happens yeah, but we've seen that happen on multiple occasions vs top tier defensive players.  At home is no acception.  Sloppy observation.  That play pi$$ed me off more than 99% of other crap last year.

5 hours ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Allen's full quote read,  “I want to win and I understand that the more skills I can provide the offense, then hopefully the more mismatches that can be created for myself and other players. That’s what I’m about. I’m excited to be utilized as a football player again and not be confined to any box, but just to be a football player, a tight end.”

Yeah, you mean like the mismatch of you against Clowney? Can't wait till Brady starts stamping his feet when stone hands drops a few TD passes.

Allen under achieved here. He blew many an opportunity. Good luck to him at NE. Sour grapes in my opinion. He had better hope that his hands improve for tommy boy.

I am somewhat surprised by the negative comments toward Allen.  His biggest problem was that he couldn't stay healthy, I'm not sure that you can blame him for that.  When healthy he was a good TE, not great but good.  Personally, I wish him nothing but the best in New England, he seems like a good guy on and off the field.  

On a side note, I also wish people would get away from calling players garbage, worthless, saying they suck, etc.  Of all the players playing football from high school on, these few made it to the highest level of play, the NFL.  They do not suck, they are not worthless and they are not garbage, at least as far as their ability to play football.

When Allen was traded he made a very sincere statement about how much he appreciated the Colts.

People here are slamming him using the Clowney play as evidence of poor play when, in fact, that play is a perfect example of how Allen was misused. Go back and look at the play. There are exactly 3 seconds from the snap of the ball to the strip. How many tight ends in the league could hold off Clowney with the game (and the playoffs) on the line for more than 3 seconds?

29 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I am somewhat surprised by the negative comments toward Allen.  His biggest problem was that he couldn't stay healthy, I'm not sure that you can blame him for that.  When healthy he was a good TE, not great but good.  Personally, I wish him nothing but the best in New England, he seems like a good guy on and off the field.  

On a side note, I also wish people would get away from calling players garbage, worthless, saying they suck, etc.  Of all the players playing football from high school on, these few made it to the highest level of play, the NFL.  They do not suck, they are not worthless and they are not garbage, at least as far as their ability to play football.

I'm sure they are using "he sucks" in relation to the athletes ability to perform at an NFL level...not in comparison to the rest of the population.  So saying "Bjoern Werner sucks" is entirely appropriate.

6 minutes ago, egg said:

When Allen was traded he made a very sincere statement about how much he appreciated the Colts.

People here are slamming him using the Clowney play as evidence of poor play when, in fact, that play is a perfect example of how Allen was misused. Go back and look at the play. There are exactly 3 seconds from the snap of the ball to the strip. How many tight ends in the league could hold off Clowney with the game (and the playoffs) on the line for more than 3 seconds?

If you watch the clock it's about 2 seconds.  Either way, the coaches are asking a lot from Dwayne on that play.

12 minutes ago, BOTT said:

If you watch the clock it's about 2 seconds.  Either way, the coaches are asking a lot from Dwayne on that play.

If you use a stop watch, it's 2.9 seconds. Would Jack Doyle have fared any better? It was was a terrible play design.

30 minutes ago, egg said:

If you use a stop watch, it's 2.9 seconds. Would Jack Doyle have fared any better? It was was a terrible play design.

I already acknowledged Allen's tough situation on that play.

8 hours ago, bradgt04 said:

You're absolutely right.  He was a huge disappointment this past season.  Doyle definitely earned the starting gig

I was surprised at how bad he was. Couldn't catch a ball to save his life a lot this past year. A lot of his drops were at crucial times too which made them even worse.

Unless he fixes that about him, I don't see him doing too well in N.E either. Best of luck to him though.

9 hours ago, Superman said:

Which is true. 30 targets in 2015, IIRC. 

I get that Supes...and I got no problem with his comments...not one...but he was outplayed in the passing game by Fleener and Doyle was even starting to contribute in 15. Then last year he got outplayed by Doyle and Swoope came on. All said and done he simply was out played. It wasn't like we gave him that contract thinking we are going to not utilize him.

In his defense....it seems everyone that drops a big pass gets labeled around here. I remember when Garcon dropped that huge ball in the SB. He was forever labeled after that...even though he has gone on to prove he is a very good WR. Same with Dwayne....he will have the opportunity in NE to turn his career around. However he needs to realize he may go multiple games without a target and then get 10 in a game. He just better be ready when they call his number. I think he is in for a shock if he thinks he will get more passes in NE. He will be asked to do the dirty work for Gronk. I wish him well except against us.

11 hours ago, coltsfansince65 said:

I think he was saying he had to stay in and block too much. But he wasn't catching the ball anyway so what is he crying about. 

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

I was surprised at how bad he was. Couldn't catch a ball to save his life a lot this past year. A lot of his drops were at crucial times too which made them even worse.

Unless he fixes that about him, I don't see him doing too well in N.E either. Best of luck to him though.

I agree!!!!

3 hours ago, Cynjin said:

We're talking in terms of other NFL players, not outside the NFL. These guys are making an unbelievable amount of money they should be criticized with they don't come close to living up to it.  

9 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

That mismatch was clearly against DA, Luck and the Colts coaching staff.  For Anyone to think DA could remotely block Clowney was absolutely stupid.  Luck should've seen that, they should've helped DA, unless he thinks he can actually block Monster ends.  I saw that myself before the play happened and thought to myself wth??!!  

Sheer stupidity on the Colts behalf, that should not happen.  Miscommunication happens yeah, but we've seen that happen on multiple occasions vs top tier defensive players.  At home is no acception.  Sloppy observation.  That play pi$$ed me off more than 99% of other crap last year.

Yes, I will give Allen a pass on that one. That's was a coaching or communication mistake. I agree.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't care if he is on the Pats now, he wont be a factor at all on that team. They have so many receivers and Gronk, Allen will be an after thought on this team. His putrid block on Clowney was the one single HUGE play that cost us the game here IMO. His drop vs Jacks on 4th and 1 was what cost that game too. If he catches that more than likely we go down and win the game. He cant stay healthy either, Doyle is clearly the better TE.

Wait, your blaming your TE because your O coordinator was so dumb he had him Blocking one of the best pass rushers in the NFL!? That's on your O coordinator.

as for the dropped pass on 4th and 1 against the Jags.. ok you needed a 4th and 1 catch beat the JAGS!!!  Mind you drops will get him less looks here but blaming him for a loss that should have been easy is just silly!

That's not all he said though. 

" I really feel like my involvement with the Indianapolis organization goes further than what was on the field. It was an amazing time,” Allen told New England media. “I think we had some incredible moments, overcame some just dire obstacles, and had a lot of success during the five years that I was there. I really wish those guys nothing but the best. I’m so thankful to the Irsay family for taking a chance on me. They had already drafted a tight end and decided to take another. I’m so thankful for them to do that. It’s one of those places that I’ll hold near and dear to my heart for the rest of my life.”

For whatever it's worth,  here's a story about Mike Wells in which Allen says nothing but good things about his time here in Indianapolis.

I think the idea that Allen is knocking the Colts on his way out the door in not really tur.e

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/20021/dwayne-allen-says-colts-will-hold-a-place-dear-to-my-heart-for-the-rest-of-my-life

13 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Bottom 5 starting TE in the league, paid like a top 5 TE. Outside of his rookie season, he has done very little.

It clearly showed last year when he was beat out by 2 UDFAs.

Huh?

Allen played just as many snaps,  perhaps more than Doyle,   and dramatically more snaps than Swoope.

How is that getting beat out by two UDFA's??

Oh,  and what are the chances that Bill Belichick just traded for one of the Bottom 5 starting TE's in the NFL?!?      I'd say right around zero.

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

Allen played just as many snaps,  perhaps more than Doyle,   and dramatically more snaps than Swoope.

How is that getting beat out by two UDFA's??

Oh,  and what are the chances that Bill Belichick just traded for one of the Bottom 5 starting TE's in the NFL?!?      I'd say right around zero.

There you have it. Played more snaps, but had less catching yards than Doyle, played WAY more snaps than Swoope but only marginally had more catching yards. Basically playing worse than 2 UDFAs.

Player 1 - 52 targeted attempts, 406 yards

Player 2 - 22 targeted attempts, 297 yards

Also, it was clear towards the end of the year that he was barely being targeted for passes and was an afterthought.

5 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

There you have it. Played more snaps, but had less catching yards than Doyle, played WAY more snaps than Swoope but only marginally had more catching yards. Basically playing worse than 2 UDFAs.

Player 1 - 52 targeted attempts, 406 yards

Player 2 - 22 targeted attempts, 297 yards

Also, it was clear towards the end of the year that he was barely being targeted for passes and was an afterthought.

First....     Swoope and Allen DON'T play the same position.      Not even close.     So, I don't know why you're comparing the two.     But you don't like Allen, so it's obvious why you're comparing the two.

Second....     Bill Belichick thinks more of Allen than you and others here.      Call me funny,   but I think I'll trust his judgement of Allen more than I trust the fan base here.

11 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

A fully healthy DA is better then Doyle I'm sorry but it's true 

More talented and better are two different things.

I don't think Allen meant any sort of dig against Indy.  Everything he's said about Indy has been positive, appreciative, and classy.  I think he's just optimistic to be utilized by a great OC, QB, and head coach.  If I were a football player and I got to play for Brady, McDaniels, and Belichick, I'd be pretty excited.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

More talented and better are two different things.

I don't think Allen meant any sort of dig against Indy.  Everything he's said about Indy has been positive, appreciative, and classy.  I think he's just optimistic to be utilized by a great OC, QB, and head coach.  If I were a football player and I got to play for Brady, McDaniels, and Belichick, I'd be pretty excited.

Exactly it wasn't a dig imo I always liked DA. And yes he us more talented then Doyle if he gets healthy then NE gets a Great TE 

Allen was a tremendous blocker and when healthy was someone who could help us make plays, but the guy couldn't stay healthy and was spending most of his time watching from the sidelines.

Allen did a lot for the community and he was a solid locker room guy. But the injuries and the amount of money Grigson gave him just didn't connect.

I do wonder if Ballard ever approached Allen about taking a possible pay-cut? Blame Grigson though.. He's the one who chose Allen over Fleener. I understand what they saw in Allen, but Fleener was on the field a lot more and the guy was constantly improving. He may never be the blocker Allen was, but the dude had size, speed and chemistry with Luck.

I'll never understand why he chose Allen over Fleener. I mean, he drafted Fleener over Allen in 2012.. So he obviously saw more in Fleener when he drafted him.