Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign Jabaal Sheard (Merged)

PeterBowman

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

Now sign Hightower, Levy, and Claiborne. Draft Takk McKinley, Taco Charlton, or Tim Williams in RD1 now and we'll be set.

Pats are said to be working to resign Hightower . They are flush with cap space so hard to see it not happening ?

9 minutes ago, TDewar1987 said:

SHEARD.jpg

I think we signed Sheard...

I will be quite honest with you, i dont get peoples fascination with being the first to post a forum thread with news. The funniest part about it is, most the people that posted those threads, are people that are almost never active on here

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Solid signing here and he's young. He and Simon both are Good Football players. I see us Drafting a Pass Rusher in the Draft too. We still could go after Poe as well? Poe has had back issues but he didn't miss any games last season. So we will see?

Last I heard Poe was "close" to a 1 year deal with Atlanta.

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Theres the Walden replacement. Good signing. 

I think Simon sounds more like the Walden replacement. Simon is supposed to be very good at stopping the run and setting the edge. Sheard strikes me as a pass rush only player. 

Just now, Indyfan4life said:

So let me get this straight...

We sign the guy everyone wanted, and people are still finding ways to complain? 

This is board is NEVER satisfied. 

What else is new haha I like the signing, I like the Simon signing too. Loved that we got a 4th for Allen, loved that we re-signed Doyle. Releasing Robinson was also a great move. There is some good ol positivity for ya :rock:

Sheard had a down year last season, which some attribute to the change to a 4-3 base defense, which had him playing more 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB. He produced the year before when he was a 3-4 OLB. Hopefully it was just a matter of playing out of position and he'll produce for us this year. Regardless, I still want to see an edge player drafted this year. Maybe not in the 1st, but top 3 rounds..

I am pleased with this and the Simon signing...two hard nose players in their prime who can defend against the run and set the edge(more so Simon) as well as rush the passer.  It allows Indy to either trade down or go BPA with #15, if an Edge isn't there, and select one later in the draft.  At #15 I don't think Indy was getting an Edge that could come in and start right away at RUSH LB...this buys time and allows whomever is drafted for that position to grow into it.

He got a little more than I expected but I would rather pay him that salary than what Green Bay did Perry....

47 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Sheard was a stud in NE year before this one. He had some issues with the staff, etc. He could come in and ball for us and put up 9-10 sacks IMO

Two things with that. Walden put up 11 sacks and could have been had for 5 million probably. But Sheard is a better all around player. Good run stopper. And brings toughness to this team that we desperately need. Glad we signed him. Now we need Zach Brown or Hightower, and either poe or a corner. 

Ballard is probably not liking the outside backer prospects that will be there at 15. Strong chance the best corner is there, maybe even Foster. This draft won't make a SB contenders, but it can make our defense in the top 15 range.

20 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

The 10 mil this year kinda caught me off guard. I think an average of 8.5 annually is pretty solid tho

Can you post where you are seeing the contract details ? I can't find anything other than the total value , years and amount guaranteed .