Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis wants the colts to sign Dwight Freeney

RockThatBlue

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dwight led Arizona in sacks last season...

And it would only be for one season, so it wouldn't break the bank.

Imagine Freeney and Mathis back at the corners, once again!  

I, personally, would love to see it!

If he's got the juice in the tank, then we should do it!

24 minutes ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

Isn't he like 37 years old? Weren't we just preaching that we need to get younger? I love Freeney, but come on..

He had 8 sacks last year in a limited role. Who cares how old he is? He shown he can still play.

I think it's a good idea. Freeney has shown he can still rush the passer, sign him for a year or 2 at the most. Would love to see him and Mathis back together again, and let Freeney then retire a Colt !!

8 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

Isn't he like 37 years old? Weren't we just preaching that we need to get younger? I love Freeney, but come on..

They envision it would be like the olden days. If my memory serves me Mathis was better than Freeney in his last couple of years here and we don't play the 4-3 primarily anymore. That is one of the reasons he is not still here.

Eh Freeney needs to hang it up. While I'd like to see him in a colts jersey again, it's time to move on from the old guys.  That said, I wouldn't be upset if they brought him in to show his stuff 1 year to these new guys.

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

He's better than Trent Cole.

That's the thing.   Is he better than what we currently have?   If so, then sign him.   To put an inferior team on the field because we want to get younger doesn't make sense.  He also wouldn't be an every down player, so the others will get to play.   Perhaps playing behind Freeney will help them develop. 

Nobody is going to sign Freeney early right now and Freeney has already alluded to as much in some of the comments I've read because of his age.  Teams are going to see what they have with their young guys and if it turns out to not be enough then they will ring Freeneys phone.  I expect the same thing with the Colts.   I don't recall Freeney signing with the Cardinals until later on last season around October.  We'll go with our young guys and Mathis/Cole and if that isn't enough then maybe we'll look that way.  Not too confident Grigson will dial him up, but who knows?

37 minutes ago, Myles said:

That's the thing.   Is he better than what we currently have?   If so, then sign him.   To put an inferior team on the field because we want to get younger doesn't make sense.  He also wouldn't be an every down player, so the others will get to play.   Perhaps playing behind Freeney will help them develop. 

The problem with that is you are using two roster spots for effectively one position and dressing an extra DE/OLB on game day, meaning less flexibility elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Whilst I think he could he wefp in situational plays..... It would be taking another year off of developing any players to fill that spot... We'd be even more screwed for next year.

What developing players? That would be a good point If we actually had any.   The other guys at his position are mathis, cole and some udfa.

The pass rush should be the priority, not keeping around some udfa

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

I rather see what we have in Bates maggit and Thompson instead of freeney taking snaps away from them

They would benefit from having Freeney on the roster.  He would be a back-up/teacher to the young guys.

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

The problem with that is you are using two roster spots for effectively one position and dressing an extra DE/OLB on game day, meaning less flexibility elsewhere.

Which is OK if you are getting added productivity from Freeney.  

If the Colts feel they could make the playoffs this year, they should put the best players available at each position.  

Some also feel that the Colts should release Gore and use the young guys.   I disagree because I think Gore is the best RB this team has.  

3 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

He's better than Trent Cole.

You say that but your memory is short of all the runs off his side then. Do you recall his coverage ability? Cole can pass rush some and cover some and run stop some. He at this point is more diverse than Freeney IMO. 

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Who will you cut to make room for Freeney?

19 minutes ago, Kyle said:

They would benefit from having Freeney on the roster.  He would be a back-up/teacher to the young guys.

Freeney was not the teacher to the young guys before he left, he was pretty bitter about doing so iirc. Maybe at this stage he changes that tune but unless we have an injury or just some poor output of effort from someone in his position, I would pass on the signing him. 

16 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Freeney was not the teacher to the young guys before he left, he was pretty bitter about doing so iirc. Maybe at this stage he changes that tune but unless we have an injury or just some poor output of effort from someone in his position, I would pass on the signing him. 

This statement is not true at all.

Here's a statement from Jerry Hughes after Buffalo played San Diego in 2014.

"Just to have someone where you can sit there and talk (with) and really just learn how to be a pro," Hughes said. "Just sitting there and watching how he carries himself week in and week out, and then to see how it translates on the field, you see why he does what he does.

"Anytime you're behind a vet like him, a vet of his caliber, you can always learn something. There was plenty to learn and he's always willing to teach, so it was a real good combo."

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

What developing players? That would be a good point If we actually had any.   The other guys at his position are mathis, cole and some udfa.

The pass rush should be the priority, not keeping around some udfa

I'm not gonna overhyped Maggit and Thompson like many have, but get either of them or Bates a year of experience and we are in way better shape NEXT year than we would be if we had freeney for just this year.

If we don't get anyone some experience THIS YEAR,  then we would go I to next year most likely without Cole or a mathis anymore and a bunch of uncapped UDFA and a 6th rounder who would probably have had minimal playing time

7 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Whilst I think he could help in situational plays..... It would be taking another year off of developing any players to fill that spot... We'd be even more screwed for next year.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

I rather see what we have in Bates maggit and Thompson instead of freeney taking snaps away from them

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Exactly, Kyle!

Mathis has already expressed his willingness to teach.  Freeney, I'm sure could do the same.  We don't know what we have in Bates, Maggit or Thompson to be quite honest.  Maggit is coming off an injury which we don't know how he'll rebound from, Bates is from an FCS school (granted he put up numbers, but it's not like he's a sure fire shot to come in and light the world on fire), and Thompson is pretty slow (at least per combine performance, so even though he produced in Syracuse, we have no idea how he'll respond to NFL caliber players).  I imagine at least one or 2 of these 3 guys will be on our practice squad to start the season, and don't think at least giving Freeney a chance could hurt.  These young UDFAs can show us if they're for real, and if they're not studs out of the gate, they can ride the pine or the PS and learn from 2 future HOFers.

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Who will you cut to make room for Freeney?

I'd have to leave that up to the coaches who know who may not have what it takes.  

They would also have input as to whether Freeney is needed on this team as well.   From my outside view, it seems a proven pass rusher is needed.  

In dont know why I'm continually surprised by the lack of short term memory on this forum,  but I am. 

His time on Pagano's first year was horrible.  There was a reason we let him go.  He couldn't play in the system.  

But now everyone wants him back? 

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

This statement is not true at all.

Here's a statement from Jerry Hughes after Buffalo played San Diego in 2014.

I believe I remember an interview where Freeney stated something about he wasn't here to teach or something to that effect. Maybe I'm recalling incorrectly and/or he was willing to give advice to his peers after saying something like this publicly idk but I recall him saying something like this though. If we pick him back up, the coaches see value though and I have no issue either way. 

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

Freeney would most likely be a situational pass rusher. The others would get a good amount of snaps. Not like Freeney would be out there 30+ snaps.