Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

tight ends

OLD FAN MAN

Jack Doyle and Dwayne Allen are above average blockers. Allen can pretty much do everything, so look for him to get down the field a lot more with Fleener gone. I think by having Doyle and Allen both on the field, we will open up more opportunities for the running game and of course protecting Andrew.

I still would love to see the Colts grab another TE, someone who can spread the field with their size and speed.

Darion Griswold Arkansas St is our UDFA TE. The kid has the size and speed to get down the field and be a great red zone target. He is 6'5 255lbs and runs a 4.75 40. He has soft hands. I saw him ranked as high as the 6th best TE in the draft projected to go in the 6th round. PFF has Griswold having a run blocking grade +1.0 or better in 11 games over the last 2 seasons. He sounds like great find. I'm looking at Griswold and Josh Ferguson making the roster as UDFA's on the offensive side of the ball. I think Tevaun Smith WR Iowa makes at least the practice squad. 

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016/4/22/11480438/darion-griswold-arkansas-state-draft-profile

Everyone forgetting about Swoope!

He was the best Tight End in spring training last year in my opinion! No joke! Maybe the best offensive player! The three days I went he stood out more. He's quick and has pretty good hands! He was also working harder than anyone else. Allen has rock hands last spring training. He dropped 60-70% of the throws his way. If they decide to give Swoope a chance I think he will play well.

His is weakness is blocking but he can be a good receiving TE in this league I think. 

32 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

He was the best Tight End in spring training last year in my opinion! No joke! Maybe the best offensive player! The three days I went he stood out more. He's quick and has pretty good hands! He was also working harder than anyone else. Allen has rock hands last spring training. He dropped 60-70% of the throws his way. If they decide to give Swoope a chance I think he will play well.

His is weakness is blocking but he can be a good receiving TE in this league I think. 

Thats great to know, about his work ethic and hands.  If he can learn to block as well as Coby he may be decent.  I know he never really played so he has a lot to learn.

I watched him in the preseason games last year and he didn't look too good.  But they must see potential in him.  Seems like we have more than our share of those "potential" guys.

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Thats great to know, about his work ethic and hands.  If he can learn to block as well as Coby he may be decent.  I know he never really played so he has a lot to learn.

I watched him in the preseason games last year and he didn't look too good.  But they must see potential in him.  Seems like we have more than our share of those "potential" guys.

Very true.. We need some of those "potential" guys to actually turn into productive guys.... That's important for the Colts success.

10 hours ago, akcolt said:

Darion Griswold Arkansas St is our UDFA TE. The kid has the size and speed to get down the field and be a great red zone target. He is 6'5 255lbs and runs a 4.75 40. He has soft hands. I saw him ranked as high as the 6th best TE in the draft projected to go in the 6th round. PFF has Griswold having a run blocking grade +1.0 or better in 11 games over the last 2 seasons. He sounds like great find. I'm looking at Griswold and Josh Ferguson making the roster as UDFA's on the offensive side of the ball. I think Tevaun Smith WR Iowa makes at least the practice squad. 

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016/4/22/11480438/darion-griswold-arkansas-state-draft-profile

I think you guys also need to take a look at the other UDFA Tight End we picked up.  Mike Miller out of Taylor University.  He's a bad boy too.  I don't think people have really taken out the time to look at his tape.  I could easily see him beating out Swoope for a spot.  Kid is a 6'6" 250lb WR/Former quarterback we are converting to tight end.  Runs great routes, has great hands and high points the heck out of the football. Snatches the ball out of the air on jump balls like it's nothing.  And he's a great blocker, just needs to get some more experience on the inside.  Better athlete than Fleener ever was.  Between Griswold, Miller, and Swoope. I don't think we are screwed if Allen gets hurt.

15 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

At any point Allen gets injured this season, Colts are screwed.

I don't know man, Jack Doyle is a beast. I'd just save a roster spot and play him at both TE positions. Yea, you heard me.

I'm hoping that with Chud, a TE should emerge as a top pass catcher. They gave Allen a sizeable contract this offseason, so he needs to be more than just a blocker. I think Doyle will be used for blocking and Allen and maybe Griswald should emerge.

It'll be hard though because Allen would be competing with one of the best receiving cores in the league for targets.

It's safe to say that Allen will miss at least 4 games this season with an injury... So our TE situation will most likely be Doyle, Swoope and a rookie for a good portion of the season.

I still can't believe they gave Allen that contract knowing his injury history... I understand letting Fleener walk but I think Allen will prove to be an overpaid, under performing asset.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 2:59 AM, SupermanLuck12 said:

Jack Doyle and Dwayne Allen are above average blockers. Allen can pretty much do everything, so look for him to get down the field a lot more with Fleener gone. I think by having Doyle and Allen both on the field, we will open up more opportunities for the running game and of course protecting Andrew.

I still would love to see the Colts grab another TE, someone who can spread the field with their size and speed.

They already have with Swoope 6-5-243 /  Miller 6-6-250 and Griswold 6-5-264.

On 5/15/2016 at 8:48 PM, GOT AN O-LINE said:

how will chud use the tight ends in our offense? will they be mainly blockers or will one emerge as a receiving threat?

Pagano has already said he plans to get Allen more involved in the passing game this year.  Also, with Swoope, Griswold, and Miller on the roster, hopefully we can have another TE who can be a successful receiver.  We already know what we have in Doyle, a tough-nosed FB player who can block but can also catch if called upon.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/3/31/11340574/chuck-pagano-on-underutilizing-dwayne-allen-in-passing-game-were-going-to-address-that-this-year

5 hours ago, CptHooligan said:

It's safe to say that Allen will miss at least 4 games this season with an injury... So our TE situation will most likely be Doyle, Swoope and a rookie for a good portion of the season.

I still can't believe they gave Allen that contract knowing his injury history... I understand letting Fleener walk but I think Allen will prove to be an overpaid, under performing asset.

It's not safe to say anything about Allen being injured.  We have a new (supposedly one of the best) strength/conditioning coach and the injuries which have kept Allen out are not career-threatening types where he seems to still be majorly hampered by them.

While it is difficult to say that Allen will be injured this season, some players seem to be injury prone. Prime examples: Ahmad Bradshaw, Donald Brown. I hope that Allen will prove to fall into a different category. I doubt that strength and conditioning would have helped him avoid his hip injury.

On 5/15/2016 at 9:48 PM, GOT AN O-LINE said:

how will chud use the tight ends in our offense? will they be mainly blockers or will one emerge as a receiving threat?

Chud will probably try to use the TE's the same way he used Bubba Franks, Jeremy Shockey and Kellen Winslow at Miami.

23 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Allen has always been vocal about wanting the ball more so he will embrace this and run with it.  We know what we have in Doyle.  As DJam said our WR are going to get most of the touches.

I think Allen is being undervalued Doyle too. Most of all Fleener is being overvalued. If he played like a big athletic TE but he doesn't. I don't think anyone in the league went down on first contact more than that guy. We will be fine at TE. 

On May 16, 2016 at 3:24 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I'm hoping that with Chud, a TE should emerge as a top pass catcher. They gave Allen a sizeable contract this offseason, so he needs to be more than just a blocker. I think Doyle will be used for blocking and Allen and maybe Griswald should emerge.

It'll be hard though because Allen would be competing with one of the best receiving cores in the league for targets.

I think you might be sleeping on Doyle a little bit. I think if called upon he is going to get it down. He has so far. I can't remember the last time I saw him drop a pass or go down easily, He ran in the 4.7's which isn't that bad. I think folks might be surprised what we have in him. I guarantee he's looking at this as a big opportunity. 

I don't think it's going to be about which position will get more targets because obviously 3 wide recievers vs Allen getting targets are gonna favor the recievers but I think whoever is open will get the ball regardless and if we're talking contested balls that's gonna be Allen and Moncrief getting those kinds guys you know can muscle the ball away 

On 5/15/2016 at 0:28 PM, bravo4460 said:

If he was "the best offensive player" even in Spring training, that would explain our 8-8 record.  Seriously though, I would think if he was doing that well he would have made the opening day roster.  Perhaps there was more to the overall picture of his abilities that you simply didn't see.  

Doyle is nothing more than a blocking tight end.  You're not going to have an offensive explosion with Jack Doyle.  He'll catch a couple passes, but we'll definitely be limited with him starting for Dwayne Allen at any point.

4 hours ago, JPFolks said:

If he was "the best offensive player" even in Spring training, that would explain our 8-8 record.  Seriously though, I would think if he was doing that well he would have made the opening day roster.  Perhaps there was more to the overall picture of his abilities that you simply didn't see.  

You would think that would be the case. Many agreed with me. If we could find last seasons training camp thread many were saying the same thing. 

He he was very impressive. I should have said most "surprising" maybe. He still outplayed Allen and Fleener in the receiving game at training camp by a long shot. Allen was terrible. Again it would be in testing to find the old threads about last years spring training.

8 hours ago, krunk said:

Doyle is nothing more than a blocking tight end.  You're not going to have an offensive explosion with Jack Doyle.  He'll catch a couple passes, but we'll definitely be limited with him starting for Dwayne Allen at any point.

Coming out of college blocking was the weak facet of his game. He had 53 catches around 600 yards 5tds as a Sr. His draft profile said he has speed to pressure the seam. Here is what NFL..com said: 

The first-team All-Sun Belt tight end is a big target, and fluid athlete. Doyle adjusts to passes like a much smaller player. However, he doesn't adequately use his size as a blocker. 

10 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I think it was more of a strategic plan. They knew they weren't keeping Fleener and allen and swoope hardly played in preseason games I beleive to makes sure we could stash him on PS so he could get one more year of training. I could be entirely wrong but that's how I saw it last year after watching him do well in tc and was hardly used in the preseason games

13 hours ago, akcolt said:

Coming out of college blocking was the weak facet of his game. He had 53 catches around 600 yards 5tds as a Sr. His draft profile said he has speed to pressure the seam. Here is what NFL..com said: 

The first-team All-Sun Belt tight end is a big target, and fluid athlete. Doyle adjusts to passes like a much smaller player. However, he doesn't adequately use his size as a blocker. 

I'm not talking about what he did in the past in college.  I'm talking about what I've seen from him as a Colt.  He's not an offensive threat, he's good for a couple catches a game, but ultimately that's not what he is in the NFL to me.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm not talking about what he did in the past in college.  I'm talking about what I've seen from him as a Colt.  He's not an offensive threat, he's good for a couple catches a game, but ultimately that's not what he is in the NFL to me.

He's never been asked or given the chance to do more that I recall. He joined the Colts the year after Fleener and Allen. He's been used to block for the most part. The draft profile said he was a receiving threat coming out of college being behind 2/3 round picks would limit opportunities. I have a feeling we will get to see for ourselves. 

37 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I'm looking for Allen to have a monster year. Something like 600 yards, 8 TD's. I'm interested to see who wins the 3rd spot though. I'm puling for Swoope.

That's not a monster year, IMO, but I'll take it, assuming the WRs are as productive as we expect and the backs get into the mix. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

That's not a monster year, IMO, but I'll take it, assuming the WRs are as productive as we expect and the backs get into the mix. 

Well not technically LOL, but it would be a career year for him and my line of thinking is similar to yours Supe. I think our 3 receivers will have big years. I don't see Allen being a top 3 receiving TE in the same category as Gronk, Kelce, etc or anything, but I think 600 yards, and 8TD's would be big for him and really big for our offense. It'd also be nice to see Swoope or somebody step up and give us like 200-300 too.

21 hours ago, akcolt said:

I was reading Bleacher Report earlier and Pagano was saying just how much he felt Swoope has improved.  Says he's come a long way so maybe we'll finally get to see what we've been looking for.  I hope.

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

I was reading Bleacher Report earlier and Pagano was saying just how much he felt Swoope has improved.  Says he's come a long way so maybe we'll finally get to see what we've been looking for.  I hope.

Me too I'd love to see that but I am not counting on it. The only negative comment I've heard Pagano make about a player was Holmes Pagano is hard to take serious when he talks about his guys 

The Colts are also high on undrafted free agents Darion Griswold and Mike Miller, both of whom have made their presence felt as receivers in practices. This could remain a fluid situation throughout training camp and the preseason.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/05/25/5-observations-colts-otas-hilton-shines-luckslides/84873930/

I think either one of the above has the Talent to knock Swoope off to be honest but we will see.

I like Miller quite a bit.  Hands seem to be excellent and his a really good route runner because of being a former WR.  Ball skills seem to be plus and knows how to use his body.  Plus he's an excellent stalk blocker if you are playing him  out side in the run game.  Just need to see more of him on the inside in the preseason.

Griswold seems athletic too, but I haven't seen much tape on him other than what's available on youtube and it's not much because their team ran the ball a whole bunch and didn't use the TE in the passing game the way we will.  People are projecting him to be a good receiving tight end as well if used properly.