Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cherilus Playing Through Some Things..

Dark Superman

So apparently the excuse for Cherilus' poor play the last few weeks has been due to him being nicked up with some sort of knee injury. (Got the news via. Colts beat writers)

So.. Why is he playing if he's banged up and allowing our Franchise Quarterback to get hammered.

Sit him. Let him rest. I'm sure Reitz or Nixon could do a better job at blocking than an injured Gosder. We play it safe with everyone else, why not now?

So apparently the excuse for Cherilus' poor play the last few weeks has been due to him being nicked up with some sort of knee injury. (Got the news via. Colts beat writers)

So.. Why is he playing if he's banged up and allowing our Franchise Quarterback to get hammered.

Sit him. Let him rest. I'm sure Reitz or Nixon could do a better job at blocking than an injured Gosder. We play it safe with everyone else, why not now?

Reitz maybe, Nixon is still on the IR/Return list.

But I don't know if I believe it.  I think the only thing hurt on GC is his pass blocking ability.

Reitz maybe, Nixon is still on the IR/Return list.

But I don't know if I believe it.  I think the only thing hurt on GC is his pass blocking ability.

He had a knee issue when we signed him last year. Something about an overseas treatment he had and I read where some teams "red flagged" him but the Colts felt fine with the condition of that knee. I made a comment that he looked terrible fro the NO preseason game and was worried he was going to get Luck killed. He's been awful the whole year and I totally believe he's having problems with that knee. The guy was never a great run blocker but was pretty solid in protection. I just googled for what I mentioned and did find this link.....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/24/gosder-cherlius-reportedly-went-to-germany-for-knee-therapy/

This stuff makes me sick. Get tired of hearing this. Same thing last year with Trent. If someone is banged up, sit them. This team has enough depth to sit people who aren't healthy enough to give their best effort

Then when Cherilus mess around and miss a block and Andrew tear his acl or something, then what they gonna do?

Smh

I'm not saying you're wrong, but don't you think the coaches are making that decision? If so, isn't it their, and everyone else's best interest to play their best option?

Not arguing that GC is playing well, just that he may still be the best we have at RT?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but don't you think the coaches are making that decision? If so, isn't it their, and everyone else's best interest to play their best option?

Not arguing that GC is playing well, just that he may still be the best we have at RT?

After watching his awful play last week I highly doubt Reitz could of played worse than the performance Cherilus gave us last week. When healthy he's solid, but if he's hurting, why not sit him and give him a few weeks rest with the BYE approaching. He's only hurting us by being out there.

What is it with the uber-old school thinking of our coaches and GM?  If a guy is hurt, who cares if he is "tough as nails" or a "warrior" and plays through it?  He's hurt and his performance isn't up to par.  Take him out and put in a healthy guy.  Not only do you let the hurt guy recover, but you don't compromise Luck's protection for it.  When I played, coaches always told us to come out if we're hurt because trying to play through it is very selfish.

After watching his awful play last week I highly doubt Reitz could of played worse than the performance Cherilus gave us last week. When healthy he's solid, but if he's hurting, why not sit him and give him a few weeks rest with the BYE approaching. He's only hurting us by being out there.

I fully get what you're saying. But then that means the coaches are purposely playing a guy that they know is the inferior player, right?

Why would they do that?

I fully get what you're saying. But then that means the coaches are purposely playing a guy that they know is the inferior player, right?

Why would they do that?

A hurt Gosder Cherilus isn't that great.  If it's something like Watt a few years ago where he had a torn ligament or something in his elbow, but was still wrecking offenses, then sure.  If he can play through the pain and perform well, then I can understand it.  But he was playing through the pain and being bad.  So could it really be worse?  A healthy inferior talent might be better than a hurt superior talent

I believe he is hurt. You don't get that bad that quick (compared to what he was). That said I think it speaks loads to whoever his bu is when the coaches feel he isn't better than what GC is going us now.

Not exactly, we pulled Greg Toler out in the pkayoffs. We have the depth, but we also have very stubborn coaches

Gosder Required a lot of help last season in pass protection folks.

He is 6`7", has a lack of bend in his lower back, and does`nt redirect that well. He is what he is.

If you're correct though, he should be at least the same as last year and clearly he is not.  Unless we think McGlynn was better than Thornton.

Not exactly, we pulled Greg Toler out in the pkayoffs. We have the depth, but we also have very stubborn coaches

When they make the move is the question I guess.  I do think GC is right on the border line right now.  My guess is they are hoping to get through to the bye week.  Hopefully Andrew is still upright by then.  Reitz is ok, but nothing great either, especially at tackle IMO.

Why would they do that?

Well they did stick with Satele last year at Center when Mcglynn was playing better, That's not to say we would have been a lot better off because putting them 2 next to each other is just a losing situation but still Mcglynn did outperform Satele at Center....And Mcglynn did want to play Center

I don't think its a matter of playing the guy that's purposefully the inferior player at all, I think it was a matter of the coaches choosing continuity over just better play in the hopes that the O Line would come together and that would cancel out the awful play by Satele/Mcglynn.......Not bashing that strategy because O Lines do come together.....But ya still have to have 5 O Linemen that can block 1 on 1 and we clearly did not have that......Still don't when it comes to run blocking though I liked the nasty streak I saw out of Harrison up til last week.....Cherilus is just not that road grading RT we need

..aren't all linemen hurt by midseason?

probably more than we know. My guess is GC playing through somethings isn't news to those in the NFL because a lot of players are dealing with something by this point in the season.

That leaves us Internet doctors who have no information on what the injury is or how bad it is to pretend like we somehow know more than the coaches if a player should be playing or not.

Also, for those complaining about Luck getting harmed just two weeks ago we were talking about how good the line was playing. One bad game has clearly undone all that in fans minds.

I personally would move Mewhort to Right Tackle and keep Reitz on the left to play guard.  Mewhort has played much more on the right side than Reitz.

I guess someone should have pulled Unitas with blood dripping down his face?  He plugged it up with mud...dirt...

BTW...Mewhort has had a nagging knee problem all year too....it is not going away.

Cherilus had a great campaign last year...but has been inconsistant this year. I think the coaches were trying to see if he could tough it out until the bye week to rest up. Its a tough call one that we have to trust the coaches and Gosdner to make but to add another backup to an already unsteady line is a tough call. In my opinion if you know he is hurting a bit you need to help him with more chips from TEs and RBs etc...its one thing that I don't think we are necessarily great at...and thats making in game adjustments by Luck at the line or perhaps the coaches during the game. It seems we have a game plan and we don't deviate a lot from that....which is alright...we're 5-3 but to me to be a championship team we are going to have to get better at it.

It's not hard for me to believe that Cherilus might be hurt. He had some serious injuries in the past, and that's one of my major concerns with him since we signed him.

I don't think Grigson would just randomly make up a story about a veteran player fighting through minor injuries. He's been asked about other players who are underperforming, and he gives straight answers. The only time an injury came out of the blue was when we found out Richardson was having surgery in the offseason. And even throughout the year, neither Grigson nor the staff brought that up when they were asked why he wasn't playing well. 

It's not hard for me to believe that Cherilus might be hurt. He had some serious injuries in the past, and that's one of my major concerns with him since we signed him.

I don't think Grigson would just randomly make up a story about a veteran player fighting through minor injuries. He's been asked about other players who are underperforming, and he gives straight answers. The only time an injury came out of the blue was when we found out Richardson was having surgery in the offseason. And even throughout the year, neither Grigson nor the staff brought that up when they were asked why he wasn't playing well. 

I did not realize DQ Jackson was questionable for Monday night...toe.

To fix our RT positions...

Should we trade Mike Adams to the Steelers for Mike Adams? :thinking:

Yeah Cherilus is not going anywhere at least til 2016 when if I am looking at Spotracs #s right the team can save 5.9 mill if we cut him....If we were to cut him at the end of the year (again if I reading it right) we would save only save $900,000......in 2016 RT Andre Smith from the Bengals is projected to be a FA if they choose not to re-sign him http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/gosder-cherilus/

Yeah Cherilus is not going anywhere at least til 2016 when if I am looking at Spotracs #s right the team can save 5.9 mill if we cut him....If we were to cut him at the end of the year (again if I reading it right) we would save only save $900,000......in 2016 RT Andre Smith from the Bengals is projected to be a FA if they choose not to re-sign him http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/gosder-cherilus/

Cap savings isn't the only issue. Cash is a major issue as well, not that the team doesn't have it, but the question is whether you want to pay it. I'd rather move on from a player that isn't worth the money, even if I'm not getting cap savings right away. The cap savings will come, because that cash that I'm not paying will eventually be back on my cap.

I haven't yet reached the point where I think Cherilus should be released after this season, but lack of net cap savings in 2015 isn't going to influence my opinion.