Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sergio Brown Highlights

zibby43

In another thread, I mentioned that I had watched Sergio Brown extensively throughout his career at Notre Dame.

I had listed his strengths as: above average top end/straight line speed; sure tackler that will break down and square up with the ball carrier (unlike Landry, who sometimes flies in out of control . . . which results in more whiffs than we'd care to see); good at blitzing; above average hands (he will make the interception when given the opportunity); relentless motor; not afraid of contact; has a nose for the football.

Sergio's weaknesses: non-fluid hips (can be beaten by elite WRs and strong double moves), below average lateral quickness.

Overall, I'd say we are in very good shape with him as the backup until Landry returns.

Here are some Sergio highlights from his time at ND (he wears #31).

I apologize for the soundtrack - I certainly didn't choose it.

Great ST player.  Not sure if he's NFL starter material.

I agree that he's a great ST player.  I also think he is more than adequate as a backup S at this level. 

I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised by his play.  To be a great ST player, you have to be a sure open-field tackler.  That's a skill that certainly translates to defense. 

I agree that he's a great ST player.  I also think he is more than adequate as a backup S at this level. 

I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised by his play.  To be a great ST player, you have to be a sure open-field tackler.  That's a skill that certainly translates to defense. 

I hope you're right.  I don't take much stock in how good he was in college translating to his ability as a pro.  Every NFL backup probably has good highlights from college.

I know he was vocal in wanting to compete for the starting job this year.  He'll get his chance now.

Every single player in the nfl has a good college highlight film. Thats why theyre in the nfl. But most players good college days dont end up so good in the nfl.. Im hoping for the best cuz were gonna need help stopping steve smith

Steve Smith Sr. isn't the problem on offense, I have faith in our corners to continue blanketing WR's as they've done all year. Owen Daniels though...

sure Steve smith is good and can be freighting to defenses but if you look at every colts game vontae davis went up against Demaryius thomas and held him to like 2 catches, Riley cooper to 1 catch, then Nate Washington to 1 catch Sunday so this not any different going against no1 receivers for vontae

We got by with Tom Zbikowski, we can get by with Sergio Brown.

Yeah thats when we just got out of a 2-14 season. Anybody playing safety would suffice. If this team wants to be in championship shape it needs a decent starter at safety with Bal, Cin, Hou, and Pit coming up. Brown is a below average safety.

Yeah thats when we just got out of a 2-14 season. Anybody playing safety would suffice. If this team wants to be in championship shape it needs a decent starter at safety with Bal, Cin, Hou, and Pit coming up. Brown is a below average safety.

We went 11-5 with Zbikowski, you don't need an all-star safety to have success. 

Pittsburgh sucks, you can't be serious about them

And the Texans don't have an offense

Baltimore & Cincinnati are the only legit teams on that list

I've always been a fan of ND, and since I met Sergio at the Colts Grille last year, I have followed him a little more.  He is a real stand up guy who gives 100% effort when he is on the field (at S or on ST).  That being said I am still very hesitant on seeing him start.  I think VD GT and DB will shut down these WR's we face the next few weeks, so we will only need the S to not get beat deep.  I know alot of people on here complain about him getting beat against the Jags, but give the man a second chance.  I think he has improved greatly since then.  However, I wouldn't mind the Colts looking for somebody to take the place of Landry while he is out, because we would have good depth in case of another emergency later on.  I read quite a few comments praising Adams (solely on his 2 int's last week), if that's all you notice about him then please watch him more, because he gets beat alot and misses alot of tackles.  Im not bashing him but both of those int's were given to him on a silver platter.  Weve needed help at S since Bethea's departure, and it has been obvious.  Yes, Howell was suppose to start but, I'm not sure he would perform significantly better than Adams.  We all remember the Shipley-Holmes debate...  I think the Safety position needs to be addressed one way or another.  If we wait til the off season, we better have a stellar S next season, is all I am saying.  I think Landry was a good signing but I thought we would get alot more out of him.  I think he would be better at the other Safety position with Adams backing him up, in this scenario we wouldn't miss him a bit, and have somebody better in coverage on the other side, but hey Im just an average joe, I just hope we can figure this out by the end of the season, because how competitive the NFL is this year and our mediocre schedule, there isn't a reason we shouldn't have a date with Denver or Cincinnati in the AFC Championship Game!!

Pittsburgh isnt a horrible team just a inconsistant one. Miller, Bell, and Blount are perfect weapons to go against our defense. The Texans sucked worse last year and they still held a close game at home.

I don't known what evidence there is that he's not starting-caliber. I think more than anything he just hasn't been given the chance. I'm pulling for him to succeed, if for nothing else than to quiet the so-called "experts" and everyone else who seems to just regurgitate what they say. Go Sergio!

Actually Ryan Fitzpatrick is 16th in total passing yards this season with 902 ahead of guys like

Peyton Manning-814

Tom Brady-791

Cam Newton-728

Andy Dalton-722

I think if we can get pressure on him without giving him lanes to scramble in the process (he can run a little bit, He had 225 yards on 43 runs last year and 3 td's ) then we can win comfortably

Pitts 5 in total offensive yards and rushing for 144 yards a game....They are picking up a ton of penalties this year however with 44...Though the Colts are not far behind with 32....That Pitt defense has not had the bite though through 4 games that it has had in the past....Antonio Brown is having a hell of a year as well

Actually Ryan Fitzpatrick is 16th in total passing yards this season with 902 ahead of guys like

Peyton Manning-814

Tom Brady-791

Cam Newton-728

Andy Dalton-722

I think if we can get pressure on him without giving him lanes to scramble in the process (he can run a little bit, He had 225 yards on 43 runs last year and 3 td's ) then we can win comfortably

Pitts 5 in total offensive yards and rushing for 144 yards a game....They are picking up a ton of penalties this year however with 44...Though the Colts are not far behind with 32....That Pitt defense has not had the bite though through 4 games that it has had in the past....Antonio Brown is having a hell of a year as well

Only leading Peyton cause he had a bye week.

2 of the the other 3 QB's are having down years

And Dalton isn't asked to so much with that defense and also had a bye week

Put vontae on Brown and we win cause IDC how good Bell has been, our run defense has been solid and I don't see them running on us.

I don't known what evidence there is that he's not starting-caliber. I think more than anything he just hasn't been given the chance. I'm pulling for him to succeed, if for nothing else than to quiet the so-called "experts" and everyone else who seems to just regurgitate what they say. Go Sergio!

Sergio started for the Patriots when they released Meriweather and he was bad. Also he allowed Blaine Gabbert to throw a 80 yard game winning touchdown Lucks rookie year. Sergio is a good tackler but his coverage is such a liability.

Yet you have No Idea how good he is.

Peyton Manning-814

Tom Brady-791

Cam Newton-728

Andy Dalton-722

Gotcha....so in other words, Houston's passing offense is one of the best in the league and Fitzpatrick is one of the best QBs in the league...so long as they play more games than everyone else.  :rollseyes:

In another thread, I mentioned that I had watched Sergio Brown extensively throughout his career at Notre Dame.

I had listed his strengths as: above average top end/straight line speed; sure tackler that will break down and square up with the ball carrier (unlike Landry, who sometimes flies in out of control . . . which results in more whiffs than we'd care to see); good at blitzing; above average hands (he will make the interception when given the opportunity); relentless motor; not afraid of contact; has a nose for the football.

Sergio's weaknesses: non-fluid hips (can be beaten by elite WRs and strong double moves), below average lateral quickness.

Overall, I'd say we are in very good shape with him as the backup until Landry returns.

Here are some Sergio highlights from his time at ND (he wears #31).

I apologize for the soundtrack - I certainly didn't choose it.

What we are getting here is an Idrees Bashir. A player who is pretty much always in the right place in pass coverage, but not the most powerful tackler in the world and won't make very many game changing plays.  I mean he will tackle, but you just don't see that thud like with Bethea or some of the other guys who really like the contact.   Basically he's got enough to get the job done but not great.  That's what I see in this film

Rick Venturi said he thinks Darius Butler is the best choice top replace Landry.

I thought this sounded crazy at first until I gave it some thought.  I wouldn't be surprised to see this at certain places in the game. Although Butler is the best nickel back in the game, we are playing against a team with a slot receiver who is 6'5" in Marlon Brown. Jalil Brown who we just signed is 6'2" so he's got a better height and size advantage on Butler.  It's possible they could bring him in to play against Marlon Brown. Actually it's still a bit of a head scratcher because we could use Purifoy in the slot for the same purpose.  According to HTown Colt we've already played Butler at safety in certain situations that I was unaware of. We'll see what happens.

We got by with Tom Zbikowski, we can get by with Sergio Brown. 

Both from the Irish. Sergio is going to be fine. He can improve and is highly motivated.  I think he takes his chance and makes the most of it. I too am a big Irish fan so obviously more than a little bias.

He knows the D and will give it all he has I know that much if he fails it will not be because a lack of effort. I am anxious to see the Baltimore game. I really hope they air it in AK or I'll be at the bar at 9 am for this one.

Lots to see what is going on with the O Line?  What is the mystery at C? I suspect nothing except Shipley starting again. I really hope Freeman can go.  

And I have a feeling TY is going to have one of those games that just make you go wow.

Only leading Peyton cause he had a bye week.

2 of the the other 3 QB's are having down years

And Dalton isn't asked to so much with that defense and also had a bye week

Put vontae on Brown and we win cause IDC how good Bell has been, our run defense has been solid and I don't see them running on us.

Bengals defense against the run is bad, 5.1 yards per play given up  and they have no consistent run game....3.6 ypc

Gotcha....so in other words, Houston's passing offense is one of the best in the league and Fitzpatrick is one of the best QBs in the league...so long as they play more games than everyone else.  :rollseyes:

Yeah consider that my dumb post for the week, But they do use a short efficient passing game that Fitzpatrick has been doing decent in for what he is asked to do and he does have two games in a row of over 250 yards passing

Even though Landry has the experience, but perhaps this could be a blessing in disguise, or it's going to hurt us.

I'm just praying Sergio plays well and builds up his confidence. He has a good motor and good straight line speed and a decent tackler.

If he can grow in pass coverage, who knows. I'm anxious.

Not saying you need an all-star Safety just a decent one. Zbikowski was decent while Brown isn't even that. Also Brown was on the Team when Zbikowski was and didn't even start.

There is a statement that could use some supportive evidence - particularly the Zibby part.  There could be a reason why Brown hasn't gotten a closer look - we'll soon find out, but we know for sure that there is a reason why Zibby is out the league, and it is doubtful that it is because he was decent in 2012.

Yeah consider that my dumb post for the week, But they do use a short efficient passing game that Fitzpatrick has been doing decent in for what he is asked to do and he does have two games in a row of over 250 yards passing

Lol. Yeah that one was pretty out there. Glad you had a good sense of humor about it :)