Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton hired as OC [Merge]

Horseshoe

When Luck was at Stanford in his last year, he had one decent WR and that guy missed a lot of time with concussion issues, so naturally the TE and running game were highlighted. If Luck had the WR corps that RGIII had at Baylor, his passing stats would have been off the charts -- and they were great anyway. Obviously Luck's two HC's liked punching teams in the mouth but the offense also focused on the personnel strengths.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mortreport just tweeted Pep Hamilton is the leading candidate to be the new OC.

I was just thinking we had no good choices and the perfect fit becomes available. I don't see how Grigson can pass this up. Maybe even hire Moore as a advisor too?

im fine with whatever Grigssons chooses i thrust him.

if its Hamilton i just hope w dont go conservative...imf ine running th football but i really we dont go conservative and still keep part of our vertical offense

I don't think we will. Luck if much better than josh nunes or Kevin hogan

I agree this is way too early to assess, all just speculaiton now.  But looking at the teams he has been on staff with since 2003 and reaching the conclusion that he would be run first, run to set up the pass, isn't faulty, it's history and documented and far from speculation.  In 2010 he had Luck, and Stanford ran it 535 times, Luck threw 372 passes.  As OC this season, 399 passes, 549 runs.  Luck had no functional change in the play calling and offensive philosophy, even with red shirt freshmen at QB.  But that's college.  Ok, look at the Jets, 49ers, and Bears in the years he worked there.  It's not faulty to look at ten seasons of history and reach a conclusion.  That isn't saying he wouldn't adapt.  It's saying here is his history.

Tell me, in all those NFL years, how many times was he calling plays?

You are putting correlation where none exists. There is no ten years of history that shows how he would call plays in the NFL. He was simply a position coach. That is faulty logic.

I'm not a CC fan. Sure he seemed to call an okay game in this year's playoffs against Baltimore, but I thought the O royally sucked the big one in 2011. I would NOT entrust our O to him full time.

The entire team sucked last year. Or qb situation is a little better now

You are putting correlation where none exists. There is no ten years of history that shows how he would call plays in the NFL. He was simply a position coach. That is faulty logic.

I've stated in a previous post that he didn't call plays, wasn't the OC in those locations.  So you don't believe in coaching trees, foundations of philosophies in sports?  Ok, I'll play along.  So we're only allowed to use his time as Stanford OC to assess what kind of offensive mind Pep has.  What was the Stanford philosophy in 2011 and 2012?  One year he had the most heralded player at QB in decades, a senior.  One year he had a freshman.  And what was the run to pass ratio?  Want to guess what the offensive philosophy was at Howard when he was the OC there?  2:1 run to pass.  If using what we know is faulty, as opposed to blind speculation, I'm happy to remain faulty.  I, like you, have not one clue how he'll run an offense in the NFL should he be hired.  What I've stated is what his philosophy has been.  His history is his history.

I've stated in a previous post that he didn't call plays, wasn't the OC in those locations.  So you don't believe in coaching trees, foundations of philosophies in sports?  Ok, I'll play along.  So we're only allowed to use his time as Stanford OC to assess what kind of offensive mind Pep has.  What was the Stanford philosophy in 2011 and 2012?  One year he had the most heralded player at QB in decades, a senior.  One year he had a freshman.  And what was the run to pass ratio?  Want to guess what the offensive philosophy was at Howard when he was the OC there?  2:1 run to pass.  If using what we know is faulty, as opposed to blind specualtion, I'm happy to remain faulty.  I, like you, have not one clue how he'll run an offense in the NFL should he be hired.  What I've stated is what his philosophy has been.  His history is his history.

Going along with his past tendencies is his situational playcalling. The Bowl game Luck's senior year was a perfect example of conservative situational playcalling that resulted in not scoring points and eventually losing the game. I saw it a few other times in 2011 but Stanford by and large was way above their competition so he didn't have many game on the line situations. Again, I go back to the Texans analogy I brought in earlier...conservative, run-first play calling/offensive system, unless you have a dominant defense, will not win SB's in today's NFL. Again, maybe Pep would change but he has a past history that raises flags for me.

Brad Wells (BBS) ‏@StampedeBlue @jetwhispers
says Pep Hamilton is Colts new OC. He was a target of the Jets as well. Working to confirm. Sending drones from mom's basement.

Dan Leberfeld ‏@jetswhispers
Pep Hamilton to the Colts. Perfect spot for him. He wasn't the best fit for Jets.

You mean we might even tear him away from the Jets? j/k

I am fine with it right now, might help Luck play up to all his strengths too which he certainly has a lot of.

Who are the other candidates? His is the only name I have seen or heard of . :)

I found this:

For the Colts, the following names are out there for interviews:
  • Bengals offensive assistant and former Raiders head coach Hue Jackson
  • Former Colts offensive coordinator Tom Moore, who spent last season as a consultant for the Titans
  • Stanford offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/1/18/3889996/colts-and-chuck-pagano-must-scramble-to-find-replacement-for-bruce-arians

All I hope for is that if Pep Hamilton is the new OC, we better not be ultra conservative.

Arian's trusted Luck to make difficult throws in difficult situations, and that's what led to our great season. I do not want to run a draw on 3rd-and-10. Let's go for the first down! Luck led the league on--third-and-8 or more yards to go, and that's what sustained drives that led us to win numerous games.

In context, that is a list of 'names out there' that aren't undesirable to the writer. I don't think it necessarily reflects the team, though I do wish Moore would at least be interviewed. He was Arians mentor and is the source of much of Arians terminology, along with being on record of saying Luck has all the qualities he wants in a QB.

Besides, who doesn't want Ben Franklin coaching the team?

Moore.jpg

All I hope for is that if Pep Hamilton is the new OC, we better not be ultra conservative.

Arian's trusted Luck to make difficult throws in difficult situations, and that's what led to our great season. I do not want to run a draw on 3rd-and-10. Let's go for the first down! Luck led the league on--third-and-8 or more yards to go, and that's what sustained drives that led us to win numerous games.

At the risk of using Pep's past to try to understand what one might see in the future, Stanford with Hogan and Luck threw the ball far more on first downs than any other down, including third and long situations.  As others have suggested, the reliance on the Stanford D in a college game, making the opposition go 80 yards to score, could well have played a huge, predominant roll in those stats/decisions.  The concern though is even with Luck in 2011, and a group of WRs and TEs who ended up on NFL rosters, they ran and punted more often than risking down field throws.   The above isn't a prediction of future actions, just the facts from years gone by...

I would be ok with this hire - I have concerns, first from a philosophy standpoint based on his history, and secondly because I do not think the Colts as currently constructed are capable of playing in a similar way.  So something would have to change - the philosophy or the roster or both.

Splits for Hogan:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/516357/kevin-hogan

Splits for Luck:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/14874/andrew-luck

That's my reservation about Pep too... Forget NFL play calling experience, he's not even the main playcaller at Stanford. Shaw calls the plays so I'm not sure we know exactly what kind of in game play calling we're going to be getting. I don't know if it's fair to attribute Shaw's perceived "conservatism" and lack of imagination to Pep or not.

In context, that is a list of 'names out there' that aren't undesirable to the writer. I don't think it necessarily reflects the team, though I do wish Moore would at least be interviewed. He was Arians mentor and is the source of much of Arians terminology, along with being on record of saying Luck has all the qualities he wants in a QB.

Besides, who doesn't want Ben Franklin coaching the team?

Moore.jpg

That could very well be true.  I reached that article from another that I no longer have a link to but both suggested Moore, Hamilton and Jackson.  The first article though also mentioned guys like Morninhweg, Shurmur and a couple other names as other "options" so I'm not entirely sure if the writer had information that the Colts list contained Jackson, Moore and Hamilton or if it was just speculation.

If it's Hamilton, then at least Luck is familiar with him, so that may be an advantage.  I'm sure whoever is hired, they will have a system, so to speak, but if they're smart they will build an offense that utilizes the personnel and talent we have.

And, if Hamilton is hired, then we'll be PepStrong, too!!   :headspin:

If it's Hamilton, then at least Luck is familiar with him, so that may be an advantage.  I'm sure whoever is hired, they will have a system, so to speak, but if they're smart they will build an offense that utilizes the personnel and talent we have.

And, if Hamilton is hired, then we'll be PepStrong, too!!   :headspin:

Being Familiar with Luck doesn't help. Luck could learn any playbook, and not sweat it.

We need to be fearful that the rest of the team won't fit in or pick it up, and we also have to worry about someone now with 0 play calling experience in the NFL.

The play calling is what really worry's me. I hope it will be OK.