Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peter King picks Luck over Newton (or anyone else) to start franchise

Hoosier Colts Fan

here's a quote from Peter King's Tuesday Morning Quarterback in response to whom he would pick to start his franchise:

GOOD TO SEE AN EMAIL FROM DUBAI. "If you were picking between Cam Newton (who already has one record-breaking season under his belt) or Andrew Luck (yet to play in a regular season game) today, who would you choose?''

-- From Talal, of Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Luck. I'd choose Luck over any current quarterback except probably Aaron Rodgers if we're talking about which quarterback I'd want to build my franchise around. It's simple: I think Luck has a good chance to be a top-three quarterback over the next 15 years, and he has an age edge over the great ones today.

and here's the link to the article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/08/21/texans/index.html?xid=cnnbin

I know it's only preseason but I just can't get enough of reading "outsiders" praises of our Quarterback.

here's a quote from Peter King's Tuesday Morning Quarterback in response to whom he would pick to start his franchise:

GOOD TO SEE AN EMAIL FROM DUBAI. "If you were picking between Cam Newton (who already has one record-breaking season under his belt) or Andrew Luck (yet to play in a regular season game) today, who would you choose?''

-- From Talal, of Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Luck. I'd choose Luck over any current quarterback except probably Aaron Rodgers if we're talking about which quarterback I'd want to build my franchise around. It's simple: I think Luck has a good chance to be a top-three quarterback over the next 15 years, and he has an age edge over the great ones today.

and here's the link to the article:

http://sportsillustr...html?xid=cnnbin

I know it's only preseason but I just can't get enough of reading "outsiders" praises of our Quarterback.

Watching Sportscenter last night, Jaworski said Luck was the most NFL ready quarterback he has ever seen. Good call by Jaws.

Could someone notify NFL that we're running out of room on the Colts Bandwagon. What happened to everyone saying "The colts will struggle." "The colts won't win 4 games". " The Texans are winning the division for the next 3 years".

What happened to all of that? Now all of a sudden, we're getting everyone on our side? This is getting out of hand smh

Could someone notify NFL that we're running out of room on the Colts Bandwagon. What happened to everyone saying "The colts will struggle." "The colts won't win 4 games". " The Texans are winning the division for the next 3 years".

What happened to all of that? Now all of a sudden, we're getting everyone on our side? This is getting out of hand smh

They have to hedge their bets. If the Colts crash and burn this year, they can still say Luck is the future. If the team does well, they can try to claim to be on the front of that bus.

So is Peter King saying he would choose 12 over older Manning, Brady, and Brees as well? If so, those are some big names to downplay.

my guess is that he is choosing among the young QBs who will be franchise QBs down the road, as opposed to who would I pick if they were all 25 years old . . . i know sometimes this question is loosely asked and answered . . . but i could be reading him wrong and you could be correct . . .

I'm actually surprised he'd pick Rodgers over Luck. Honestly, Luck is going to be breaking records. I think he breaks Newton's this year.

I do think he will definitely break the passing record. Luck had nearly 200 yards passing in one half in the rams and steelers game. He was on pace for 400 yards in both.

I think everyone likes Luck...and they have seen why he was so NFL ready this preseason. I am very happy. The only way I let Peyton go is with this kid and even then I still think twice about it. He is special and our season will ride on him. That is why most people and vegas in particular have us set at 5.5 wins. He really is the only difference maker on the team. Thats hard for a rookie to basically carry a team on his back for 16 games. I expect many games like the first half where we make mistakes and we get back up. I think we will have success and failures. Chicago will likely be one of those games. But if we pick ourselves up and win the two after we see what we have....a growing team. Luck has it....he has everything he needs to succeed. I don't know what could cause him not to....something serious injury or in his head would have to change that. Its a bit early to claim mvps etc but it isn't to see he has the tools to be special.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. This is just an indication of who he'd build his team around, if starting now. Obviously, if you're just starting a team, you don't want a 35 year old QB, because by the time the rest of your team catches up, it'll be retirement time for your starter.

The big note is that he'd take Luck over Cam, despite what Cam has already proven. To me, that does say something. But again, lets not get ahead of ourselves. Luck may prove to be less durable than Cam, and then we're left with a guy who (hypothetically) has more potential but can't stay on the field. I don't think this will happen, but you never really know.

Lebron James.

Andrew Luck.

Jabari Parker (next Lebron, apparently).

This is the list of can't miss prospects over the last decade and a half. I LOVE that we have one of them. Now the Pacers just need to snag Jabari Parker in the 2014 draft.

Hopefully Luck can be a phenomenal quarterback. However, lets be realistic. He hasn't played a regular season game. Even if he ends up at Matt Ryan level, he can be a great quarterback. I'm not getting my hopes up of being the best of our generation.

Luck will show us much of what he is capable of against a great defense like the Bears. You will see his composure under fire from a lightning rush. The kid will be alright and it will be a good number of years watching him improve. Let the fun begin.

From what I've seen so far, Luck has the ability to be good as good as any QB in the league. He can be as accurate as Brady, be a field general like PM, be clutch like Eli, be as fiery as Brees, and nearly as athletic as Newton. Like they say, he has no holes in his game.

my guess is that he is choosing among the young QBs who will be franchise QBs down the road, as opposed to who would I pick if they were all 25 years old . . . i know sometimes this question is loosely asked and answered . . . but i could be reading him wrong and you could be correct . . .

I agree with you 100%. Any team would want greats like Manning or Brady on their team, but lets face it, they will be retiring in a couple years.

Like they say, he has no holes in his game.

The only hole I kinda see is his confidence to thread the needle when the situation may call for something different. Might lead to some mistakes until he learns a little more control. But this is something I would expect a 4 year vet to be working on, not a rookie. That's what blows my mind and everyone else's, his game is so far advanced compared to his peers.

The only hole I kinda see is his confidence to thread the needle when the situation may call for something different. Might lead to some mistakes until he learns a little more control. But this is something I would expect a 4 year vet to be working on, not a rookie. That's what blows my mind and everyone else's, his game is so far advanced compared to his peers.

Oh the gunslinger mentality. Well he has the confidence to make those throws because he knows he can do it., same for any great QB. But we've seen evidence he will take care of the ball as well, when throwing the ball away, running for a few yards, or ops for the short, open pass. really I think it comes to experience , I don't think he's a gunslinger like Farve or Romo are.

First let me state I think Luck WILL be a great QB. But anyone who would pick Luck over Rogers to start an NFL Franchise is just nuts!!! I may say if just choosing Younger QB's I may take Eli Over Luck right now...No correction I would take ELI over Luck I will take those 2 proven Young QB's over one with vast potential. (I can understand not starting a franchise with an older great QB though..)

First let me state I think Luck WILL be a great QB. But anyone who would pick Luck over Rogers to start an NFL Franchise is just nuts!!! I may say if just choosing Younger QB's I may take Eli Over Luck right now...No correction I would take ELI over Luck I will take those 2 proven Young QB's over one with vast potential. (I can understand not starting a franchise with an older great QB though..)

As big of a Rodgers fan as I have been at times I swear Luck is making me forget him.

Rodgers is still young enough at 28 but he is also smaller then Luck and has had concussions too.

Not putting down Rodgers since I love the guy and I do realize Luck has yet to do what Rodgers has done in the last few seasons (which has been amazing for any QB) but if we are starting OVER as a team I would still take Luck.

Luck or Newton seem like good choices for rebuilding so far.

Eli is also 31 years old. He is not as young as people think.

I agree, I liked it better when the waggon was less crowded :)

As big of a Rodgers fan as I have been at times I swear Luck is making me forget him.

Rodgers is still young enough at 28 but he is also smaller then Luck and has had concussions too.

Not putting down Rodgers since I love the guy and I do realize Luck has yet to do what Rodgers has done in the last few seasons (which has been amazing for any QB) but if we are starting OVER as a team I would still take Luck.

Luck or Newton seem like good choices for rebuilding so far.

Eli is also 31 years old. He is not as young as people think.

Starting a Franchise I take my chances with Rogers, I just like a proven commodity over a rookie is all :) Also IMOstarting a new franchise he put peoples butts in the seats more than Luck will I need the money lol

Lebron James.

Andrew Luck.

Jabari Parker (next Lebron, apparently).

This is the list of can't miss prospects over the last decade and a half. I LOVE that we have one of them. Now the Pacers just need to snag Jabari Parker in the 2014 draft.

Hopefully Luck can be a phenomenal quarterback. However, lets be realistic. He hasn't played a regular season game. Even if he ends up at Matt Ryan level, he can be a great quarterback. I'm not getting my hopes up of being the best of our generation.

I would add Ichiro and Tiger to the list of people who exceeded the enormous hype. It's a little premature to put Andrew on the list, but I wouldn't doubt that he makes it eventually. LeBron James is so dazzling if Jabari Parker is half of LeBron, it would be fun to watch.

PREACH!!!! A few months ago I saw nothing but grey skies and cloudy days....I thought I was going to carry the banner by my lonesome but alas we have a new flock of false friends to cheer for the Colts for the next 10 years....smh...Yall can leave though, I'd rather ride with the loyalists....

I understand why everyone is on the Luck bandwagon, he is very smart and very talented.

At this point in time, I would pick Cam Newton because he can score touchdowns in every which way.

Although that is just right now and I will probably change my mind next week.

Luck and Cam have similar size and speed.....Imma Cam Newton fan, and I have been since he was riding the pine at UF...just thought he was better than Tebow BUTTTTT I like Luck more....Primarily because he's a Colt but he can run like Cam and Pass like Cam...he hasnt wowed us like he has the ability to yet...

Starting a Franchise I take my chances with Rogers, I just like a proven commodity over a rookie is all :) Also IMOstarting a new franchise he put peoples butts in the seats more than Luck will I need the money lol

I don't blame you. I don't think you can go wrong with A-Rodge as a pick. :) I would take him too if I wanted a QB with more experience then a rookie or second year player who can play at an MVP level every week and who is still young enough.

I'm saying that if Brady, Manning, Rodgers etc. are the same age as Luck is now, which is what I thought King was saying.

This is what I thought, and frankly it's a better question. Base it on their abilities, not their results. Meaning you'd pick Brady because he has been to five Super Bowls.