Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kevin Thomas traded?

OllyDawes

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's FUNNY how the Eagles "Claimed" that their Secondary was "Crowded". That's what they said when they Traded Asante Samuels. But yet they Drafted CB Brandon Boykin in the Draft & now taking one of our CB's? Hmmmm, seems Fishy to Me

The problem for Philly was that they had 3 outside corners and NO SLOT corner. Also about 10 million dollars or more a year sunk into Samuels. I think they are looking for that slot corner for their team. They added Ryans to that lb core so I think they were trying to clear space there and have more secondary help. This isn't out there too far.

I don't like this trade. I don't think Thomas was as bad as he's made out to be, and while Fokou is starter material, we're now even thinner at corner than we were before.

Thomas had the Polian pick stink on him, meaning certain people dislike him just because it's popular to do so. Truth is, our ridiculous defensive scheme stuck him in a soft zone coverage that hurt all our corners. I think Thomas is going to be an okay corner.

I don't know how to rate Thomas...just never really saw him enough. I really felt we liked Rucker to cover the slot instead of Thomas and I just don't think he had the cover skills man to man that we needed on the outside. I do agree we have HUGE questions at corner and personally I think on the OL. Those are two scary places to be searching for answers in this new NFL. We were getting pretty thin at lb with our injuries so this should give us plenty of depth and camp fodder to battle out places...and probably special teams depth too as I doubt Thomas was going to contribute there. Obviously Thomas wasn't working out....perhaps one of these guys will and then the trade would be worth it.

Likely candidates for the 2nd Corner slot are Cassius Vaughn, Chism, Rucker and Lindsey, strangely enough I think Lindsey and Vaughn have a leg up on the others, They seem to be getting the most time, on a side note Powers got a Pick today

I don't see how people can think he is bad. He played in like 4 games. He had a knee injury. We've never really seen Thomas play.

Also is Fugger'd name pronounced F "oo" gger.

Its not that he is bad in my eyes, its just what you said, the guy is almost always injured even in college,, I cant say how good or bad he was because of that, but what I can say is he wasn't starter worthy in the time he actually did play, he was mch more a Nickel Corner in my opinion, a much better blitzer and tackler then a interception threat

Its not that he is bad in my eyes, its just what you said, the guy is almost always injured even in college,, I cant say how good or bad he was because of that, but what I can say is he wasn't starter worthy in the time he actually did play, he was mch more a Nickel Corner in my opinion, a much better blitzer and tackler then a interception threat

Agreed. And unfortunately, a injured player is a useless player, regardless of talent. Can't contribute if you aren't on the field.

Oh and If Fokou and Fugger make the team I'm def getting me a Fokuugger custom jersey made...

I don't know how to rate Thomas...just never really saw him enough. I really felt we liked Rucker to cover the slot instead of Thomas and I just don't think he had the cover skills man to man that we needed on the outside. I do agree we have HUGE questions at corner and personally I think on the OL. Those are two scary places to be searching for answers in this new NFL. We were getting pretty thin at lb with our injuries so this should give us plenty of depth and camp fodder to battle out places...and probably special teams depth too as I doubt Thomas was going to contribute there. Obviously Thomas wasn't working out....perhaps one of these guys will and then the trade would be worth it.

I'm rating him on how he played last year when we gave him a shot. He did nothing in zone coverage (almost all of it soft umbrella coverage), but neither did anyone else. The scheme completely hampered the corner's ability to make plays, and made it impossible for us to know who is good and who isn't. I guess that's what the point was: make all the corners irrelevant. It worked.

But on the few plays he actually played closer to the line of scrimmage, and the even fewer plays he was in man coverage, he looked fine. He actually looked better in man, which isn't surprising since he played a lot of man in the pass happy Pac-10. I don't think he was as bad as people think he was.

That said, the staff knows better than I do. However, there's two sides to every coin. It's telling that the Eagles wanted him, and gave up a player who has started 18 games the past two seasons, and his backup. I just don't like the move. I think Thomas is good enough to contribute (I don't know anything, of course), and I think the position is hurting for us more than linebacker is.

It seems like the staff plans to put a lot of pressure on the front seven, though. I'm anxious to see what our defense looks like.

For me, the most interesting thing to note in the Colts' press release is this....

Edds has cleared waivers and put on the IR...

But no mention of Ijalana. Does that mean some other team claimed him? Can someone keep an eye out for that, please?

http://www.colts.com...f5-b9e1725adbfb

I think Edds was waived before Ijalana was.

I think I had it backward. I think we just waived Edds today to make room for the incoming players, and he will be placed on IR provided he clears waivers.

Ijalana should clear waivers today or tomorrow. I believe it's 24 hours.

I don't see how people can think he is bad. He played in like 4 games. He had a knee injury. We've never really seen Thomas play.

Also is Fugger'd name pronounced F "oo" gger.

He was a healthy scratch a few times as well, so it was more then injuries keeping him off the field.

Eagles LBs? That seems like a pretty questionable trade as Philly's 2011 squad may have featured the single worst group of LBs I have ever seen in the NFL. The Wide 9 may not have helped them out any but, man... just terrible. This definitely isn't the kind of trade you lose sleep over, though.

All I know is Fokou and Llyod have 88 and 87 hit power in Madden respectively haha Not much to go off of. Fokou looks like a solid 'backer. Llyod has potential, I guess. Would've liked Casey Matthews just for his bloodline.

Matthews inherited none of the NFL genes in that family. Even by rookie standards he looked completely atrocious out on the field and he likely wouldn't have been taken before the 6th round were it not for his last name.

Just because he's starting at the beginning of camp doesn't mean he'll start Week 1.

It's going to be between King, Rucker and Vaughn.

Vaughn is nickel, i think rucker will eventually take the job but king is the fastesr corner

Likely candidates for the 2nd Corner slot are Cassius Vaughn, Chism, Rucker and Lindsey, strangely enough I think Lindsey and Vaughn have a leg up on the others, They seem to be getting the most time, on a side note Powers got a Pick today

Yay! Go Powers! Hopefully he can do this in the Real Game. I can't wait to see him in the New System. And I would like Rucker or Vaugh at #2 & Chism at Slot. I'm still pullling for our Chism Gavin lol

I am not getting my hopes on Brandon King whatsoever. Isnt he from Purdue? Gilbert Gardner, Curtis Painter, Brandon King, Purdue guys work out for other teams but for some reason, not for us :(

Rucker and Vaughn, I do believe have a good shot at cracking the starting line up, I think they will get the most playing time after Powers, IMO.

Besides, like I said before, with Bethea, Lefeged and Zbikowski, plus ball hawking Mike Newton who was let go earlier by us probably in 2010 and gained more experience in the CFL where the fields are wider, our safeties might be a bright spot this season and dont be surprised if we use 3 safeties in nickel and dime formations more often.

He played #1 CB at USC didn't he? I seen him on a few Blitzes from that Spot. He does perform well in the CB Blitz Section

He did start a few games at USC but I think he is much better in Nickel and blitzing from there, I wouldnt ask him to be a cover corner all day long all season at #2 covering isn't his strength he isnt a big interception threat, he is more of a tackler

I'm rating him on how he played last year when we gave him a shot. He did nothing in zone coverage (almost all of it soft umbrella coverage), but neither did anyone else. The scheme completely hampered the corner's ability to make plays, and made it impossible for us to know who is good and who isn't. I guess that's what the point was: make all the corners irrelevant. It worked.

But on the few plays he actually played closer to the line of scrimmage, and the even fewer plays he was in man coverage, he looked fine. He actually looked better in man, which isn't surprising since he played a lot of man in the pass happy Pac-10. I don't think he was as bad as people think he was.

That said, the staff knows better than I do. However, there's two sides to every coin. It's telling that the Eagles wanted him, and gave up a player who has started 18 games the past two seasons, and his backup. I just don't like the move. I think Thomas is good enough to contribute (I don't know anything, of course), and I think the position is hurting for us more than linebacker is.

It seems like the staff plans to put a lot of pressure on the front seven, though. I'm anxious to see what our defense looks like.

People remember Tim Jennings right? Another pick Polian made in the dreaded second round. Everyone hated him. He didn't produce very well. He was too small. Everyone was excited to see him go, and laughed at the Bears for picking him up...except he didn't suck. He went on to be a productive player. It might have been the system that failed him here in Indianapolis or it might have been the coaches. Either way, people declared him terrible and made fools of themselves.

I don't know how Thomas will turn out, but I'm not going to jump to conclusion or bash him. (Mostly because he is getting paid a lot of money to play a SPORT. If he is good or bad, he is living his dream.)

Who threw the pass? Any other camp updates? Thanks.

You don't know what you're talking about

What is he not allowed to throw pick sixes?

.........Quarterback Andrew Luckicon-article-link.gif had another efficient day throwing the ball in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills, but cornerback Jerraud Powersicon-article-link.gif stole the show with a late interception that he returned for a touchdown.

PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS

Thursday's practice was a day for the defense as cornerback Jerraud Powers had an interception return for a touchdown. Even though the quarterbacks cannot be taken down during practice, the whistle was blown several times to stop plays for would be sacks.