Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Edds and Ijalana Out For Season [Merge]

Playoffs2013

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the thing; We don't now if he's expendable or not. The small glimpse that we've seen of him was promising, but can we really afford to wait around another year to see how he pans out, what he's capable of? I don't think we can, given the circumstances...

If we are able to stow him away that is fine but I can't imagine we aren't going to move forward as if he will never contribute again. At this point we will look to replace and I don't see us counting on him to contribute ever. If he comes back and does...just a bonus but we have to move forward this year and next as if he is done.

Another reason why we are viewed the way we are. We are so thin at almost every position. This is just a fact of life in the NFL and we just don't have the quality at starters...let alone reserves to take these injuries now and into the season. Our make shift line will just have to keep patching itself up but I just don't have a lot of faith in them. The OL and Secondary I think are our weaknesses. I expect flashes of brilliance with our qb and receivers and some momentum moving forward in our run game but this is why I think we are a 5-11 / 6-10 team.

This is why I don't think he should be cut. He's a promising prospect.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth

The previous regime drafted him out of Villanova in the second round in 2011 after picking Anthony Castonzo in the first round. They looked to be long-term bookend tackles. One evaluator of personnel told me right after the Colts’ draft that he thought Ijalana would be a better NFL player than Castonzo, the team’s left tackle.

Ouch, tough break for both guys. The moment you saw him limping, you knew it was bad. It's saddening, but not very surprising. It seems like he came back a little too early. It looks like he needed another 2 or so weeks.

AJ Edds surprised me a bit. I thought he had an MCL or meniscus tear, (this will answer jskinzz question), because it seemed like he had some "power" in his knee and could make walk. The coaches were also more worried about Ijalana, but that may because of Ijalana's history. Either way, Edds was injured and I was uncharacteristically wrong.

The Colts don't have any reason to cut him. He's just going to sit on the IR and come back next year. He's not in the way, or taking up much cap space. Cutting him would be kind of silly.

The good news for Ijalana is that he will have surgery in early August, which means that he can make a full recovery and be ready to go in late June. The bad news is, that knee wasn't the same after the first injury and now it's even worse. The whole knee in general (not just the cap area) is *ed. Also, he could be contemplating retirement.

Ben got hurt in a mirror drill, no contact. Tells me he was never really healed.

We are really thin at ILB.

By thin do you mean bodies or talent? We still have Angerer, Conner, Freeman, Harvey, Lumpkin and Lutrus who rotate at ILB.

By thin do you mean bodies or talent? We still have Angerer, Conner, Freeman, Harvey, Lumpkin and Lutrus who rotate at ILB.

I mean talent. We have Angerer and Conner and a bunch of guys with little to no experience. Some of them may turn out to be decent, but we sure don't know that right now.

I wouldn't mind seeing us get someone with some experience in camp. I liked what Grigs said today on Sirius - he's always looking for upgrades. He basically said he doesn't want anyone to feel too secure that they don't have to compete for their job.

found this on Fox sports..

Coach Chuck Pagano says both players have ''significant'' ACL injuries to their left knees and the team hopes to add two players to the roster soon.

Only way we can add players is to waive these guys. I hope we don't waive Ijalana, although I suspect he'd clear waivers. I never thought Edds was very important to the team, but that sucks for him.

I'd like to see what Jake Scott is talking about right about now.

Note: I'm not the thread creator, but I'd like to share my two cents anyway.

While Ben Roethlisberger is prominently associated with the name "Big Ben", do not forget that this is an official Colts fan forum. While some may not know that Ben Ijalana refers to himself as "The Bigger Ben", a lot of us do know this "official" nickname of his. I do agree that his name should probably have been mentioned. I do however not find it as big a deal as some of you, and it was in no way unclear to me who he was talking about.

Believe it or not, I WAS aware of the fact that this is the official Colts forum. :slaphead: I'm also aware of the fact that rumors, nonsense threads, and duplicate threads are against the forum rules. They confuse, mislead, and waste peoples time. No, it's not a big deal - you might have noticed that my reply was only to politely (and I thought humorously) inform the OP of this fact which he (and you) are apparently unaware. I even included a link to the duplicate thread for the convenience of any moderator who might have wanted to merge them.

Considering these - I thought obvious - facts, I have to assume that your primary reason for replying is to pat yourself on the back for the fact that you use twitter, and therefore were able to stumble across this piece of trivia regarding Ijalana. I'll have to see if I can find you a cookie. Since I'm a bit older than 23, I don't use twitter. Many people don't use Twitter. With that in mind, you (and the OP) might want to consider consistently communicating in English - particularly when starting threads.

Only way we can add players is to waive these guys. I hope we don't waive Ijalana, although I suspect he'd clear waivers. I never thought Edds was very important to the team, but that sucks for him.

I'd like to see what Jake Scott is talking about right about now.

I haven't counted, and I probably won't, but weren't we a couple of spots light going into camp?

There's also the possibility of cutting another player or two, in order to bring in other guys.

I haven't counted, and I probably won't, but weren't we a couple of spots light going into camp?

There's also the possibility of cutting another player or two, in order to bring in other guys.

Pretty sure we filled those two spots. Maybe not. But either way, I think coaches and front offices are getting a little more for their money this season with the 90 man limit, so it's not like one guy taking up a spot is going to kill you.

Considering these - I thought obvious - facts, I have to assume that your primary reason for replying is to pat yourself on the back for the fact that you use twitter, and therefore were able to stumble across this piece of trivia regarding Ijalana. I'll have to see if I can find you a cookie. Since I'm a bit older than 23, I don't use twitter. Many people don't use Twitter. With that in mind, you (and the OP) might want to consider consistently communicating in English - particularly when starting threads.

Note: I can't be bothered to comment on the part of your post that I haven't quoted. This does not relate to the post I made (I even specifically quoted the parts I was commenting on) and as such I'll disregard it entirely.

Regarding the nickname, I've seen this piece of trivia thrown around this forum on several occasions as well as the chatroom. I noted that this is an official fan forum as that underlines how OPs somewhat wrong assumption that the fans would know a somewhat prominent player's nickname was a small mistake to make. Afterall, it has been mentioned on this forum on several occasions, and from the first few posts, several people in this thread also seem to be aware. I was simply pointing this out to you (as well as the rest), that I felt the OP was being unfairly criticized.

As for your condescending remarks about patting myself on the back for using twitter, finding me a cookie as well as having to more consistently communicate in English. You may want to work on your own communicative skills if you feel the need to resort to slander in an attempt to start an argument.

At least Luck can run like the wind, considering the lingering state of question-marks at O-line.

How weird will that be?

Well....we watched Painter run around quite a bit. Which often was done with all the grace and speed that I would have for about 10 feet until I collapsed to the ground, struggling to light a cigarette before the cardiac arrest claimed my life.

Luck strikes me as the cerebral type that will know how to avoid hits at the NFL level. A lesson his flashy draft buddy, Griffin, likely will not learn until his 2nd ACL surgery.

@StampedeBlue: Per @mchappell51, Peyton Manning didn't care much for Ben Ijalana. Dan Dakitch has source says. Ijalana "couldn't play dead." Ouch

@StampedeBlue: Btw, Dakich's source sounds like Howard Mudd. He can deny it all he wants. "Cant play dead" is a Mudd line.

doesn't scare me at all. satele and mcglynn will lead this line and be fine. gurode is done.

I'm not worried about Satele. But you should be scared to death about McGlynn. He was terrible last year at Cincy. If you know something I don't please share. Why is Gurode done?

If I had my choice between a backup for Cincy who got owned 24/7 vs a 5 time Pro Bowler who has started 127 games...it's a pretty easy pick.

what does the ijalana injury have to do with mcglynn starting at right guard ? ijalana wasn't going to get reps at right guard anyway.

Because it's training camp...competition. Guards can get moved around just like any other lineman. Just like Linkenbach got moved to Guard from Left Tackle. Do we really have to go through this again? yes we know, you think that McGlynn was guaranteed the starting job, which is ridiculous and laughable. I feel sorry for Luck. Hopefully Grigson goes out and gets a real player to protect him.

Because it's training camp...competition. Guards can get moved around just like any other lineman. Just like Linkenbach got moved to Guard from Left Tackle. Do we really have to go through this again? yes we know, you think that McGlynn was guaranteed the starting job, which is ridiculous and laughable. I feel sorry for Luck. Hopefully Grigson goes out and gets a real player to protect him.

i find it laughable that some here refuse to acknowledge that some moves were made for specific reasons and that they have the absolute arrogance to think they know better than the general manager. what is your football background compared to ryan grigson ? yes it's training camp but there is not competition for a starting spot on the offensive line other than the left guard spot. to think otherwise is either pigheadedness or complete ignorance of what's been occurring the last 5 months. link was moved to left guard because of bens injury. barring injury 4 of the 5 o line spots are as secure as andrew lucks.

I'm not worried about Satele. But you should be scared to death about McGlynn. He was terrible last year at Cincy. If you know something I don't please share. Why is Gurode done?

If I had my choice between a backup for Cincy who got owned 24/7 vs a 5 time Pro Bowler who has started 127 games...it's a pretty easy pick.

yep gurode has so much left in the tank he's not in anyones camp.

my arguments aren't about mike mcglynn the player. i'd have the same argument about justice or satele or zbikowski. some don't understand or refuse to acknowledgable the personnel moves that were made and why they made them. you can think mcglynn or any other player stinks all you want. the bottom line is grigson targeted specific players to be instant starters on th 2012 colts. nothing that has transpired since these players were acquired has demonstrated anything to the contrary. if i'm completely off base i'll be the first one to say so.

yes it's training camp but there is not competition for a starting spot on the offensive line other than the left guard spot. to think otherwise is either pigheadedness or complete ignorance of what's been occurring the last 5 months.

This is why I can't take you seriously. Anyone who has every played football, knows anything about coaching football or has ever bothered to know how a roster is built realizes that EVERY position is being battled for. My experience compared to Grigson's isn't much. I have played football, my brother coaches high school football and I know Coach Hope from Purdue through my brother. At all of those levels, it is evident that nothing is guaranteed or preconceived. You are assuming that because a backup lineman got signed, he is guaranteed to start because the GM knows him? No. He'll compete for the job and if he is the best man for it, he'll get to start. To think otherwise is being willfully ignorant and I would suggest a book on football management to see how horrible that way of thinking would be to build a franchise.

the bottom line is grigson targeted specific players to be instant starters on th 2012 colts.

This is where my problem lies. Do you know Grigson personally? Because I haven't seen anything that said that he brought them in to be instant starters. If you could show me proof of that, as in words from Grigsons mouth saying that this is the case, I'd be more than happy to shut up. Some FA pick ups are sensible starters like Vincent Jackson in Tampa Bay. That is going to be hard to argue against. But a backup guard who didn't even play for half the season last year and got tore up on almost every down, being handed the starting job makes absolutely no sense. He'll compete for it. If he gets the job, it will be because he was the best man on the field. Not because the GM "said so".

This is where my problem lies. Do you know Grigson personally? Because I haven't seen anything that said that he brought them in to be instant starters. If you could show me proof of that, as in words from Grigsons mouth saying that this is the case, I'd be more than happy to shut up. Some FA pick ups are sensible starters like Vincent Jackson in Tampa Bay. That is going to be hard to argue against. But a backup guard who didn't even play for half the season last year and got tore up on almost every down, being handed the starting job makes absolutely no sense. He'll compete for it. If he gets the job, it will be because he was the best man on the field. Not because the GM "said so".

you're showing a complete lack of knowledge of how things work in the nfl. yes you have to establish your core group. the time constraints and the new cba do not allow for true open competition at each and every position. that becomes much more important on the offensive line. not one other unit on the team is so dependent on unity and teamwork. you can have 5 all pros but if they don't function as a unit it doesn't matter. the o line is also the only position on the field other than quarterback that does not have liberal substitutions during the course of a game because of such need for functioning as one unit. you have the new face of your franchise and the overall #1 pick at qb. he needs as much work as he can get with the same unit in order to give him stability and allow him to get comfortable running the offense. a revolving door up front doesn't allow that to happpen. if you think pagano and grigson open camp thinking every position is up for grabs you're very naive. now some players can certainly lose their spot but there is a pecking order for a reason. again the disagreement isn't about mike mcglynn the player it's about how the colts have made personnel decisions and why. i imagine we'll continue to disagree. have a great day.