Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Edds and Ijalana Out For Season [Merge]

Playoffs2013

Mike Chappell is the one who said Manning told him those things. So in that regard, the source is named. Mike Chappell has been covering the Colts a long time, and i'm not sure why he would need to make something up like this. If Manning had doubts, that says something to me. The guy is an all time great, and i'm sure at some point had direct interaction with Ben. Otherwise, there is no reason for him to make such comments.

Chappell has no love lost for Polian himself. It's a stretch to believe that Chappell would attribute a comment to Manning that isn't accurate, but when you look at what Chappell actually said, it's very easy to backtrack from this statement. He said:

I remember talking to Peyton Manning last year, and he was very skeptical about Ijalana. He just felt there was something missing.

That's a far cry from a quote from Manning. This could have been a very off-handed comment during a camp practice in which Manning said something about Ijalana that wasn't exactly flattering, and here, a year later, with no actual quote, Chappell has made it into Manning being skeptical of him.

This is very shoddy reporting, if you even want to call it that. I'm dismissive of it altogether.

And, as I mentioned before, who made Manning the authority on whether a rookie lineman is going to be a good player or not? His opinion doesn't carry very much weight in this matter, not to me.

As for Howard Mudd, i have read that Dakich said today he has never spoken to him. So even though it seems like thats his source, it apparently isn't. So it may be a person on the current team who is connected to the stuation. Possibly the same person who told JMV just a few days ago that Ijalana had a ton of work to do to avoid being cut, and that was before he hurt himself. So evidently the current coaching staff was not in love with him. Seems to be a lot of smoke around.

Could be. More reason to take everything from Wells with a grain of salt. I bet within a couple of weeks he'll be linking to his own article as definitive proof that Mudd didn't like Ijalana, and spinning it into proof that the Polian's forced Mudd out of Indy.

I don't doubt that the coaching staff wasn't in love with him. There have been several less than flattering reports about him in the last week or so. But this latest barrage is incredibly lowbrow. Everything about it smells wrong.

And yeah stampedeblue has never liked Polian, but like the guy or not, he was pretty much right about Polian. He needed to go and Irsay agreed, To my knowledge both Chap and Dakich were both fair to Polian in his time here, he was on Dakich's show a few times. They don't have anywhere close to the agenda you could say Wells had and even they both were slamming Polian. Stampedeblue didn't really create this news, Dakich and Chappell did.

Wells turned everything not positive into a reason to bash Polian. Whether Polian needed to go or not, it was ridiculous. Chap and Dakich may have been fair (I don't think Chap was; I'm not very familiar with Dakich, not being in Indy), but their criticism right now, especially with regard to Ijalana isn't. Ijalana was a highly rated prospect, and his draft position is legitimate and justifiable. It's not Polian's fault that he's been hurt.

Anyways, this just fits the meme, and it's tired. Polian is gone. He didn't leave the team in good condition, and he deserved to lose his job. On top of that, he didn't do very much to build up good will with the local media, so I'm not surprised that they're not holding a parade for him. But outside of Indy, Polian is viewed as one of the best GMs of all time. Let him be gone. But noooo, every time Polian pops up with a comment, it's time to bash him. Every time one of his picks doesn't set the world on fire, it's time to bash him. Come on, enough is enough.

The team now has a very bright future. I would think we could all just be excited about the new era Colts rather than looking back at the old guy no one liked.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also still confident my posts were pretty clear, but perhaps my English communicative skills aren't as polished as I'd like to believe, being my third language and all ;)

Now, with me being an immature 23-year old (and especially considering the fact that today is wednesday - wait what?), I'll now go get abusively drunk - the way only a Viking-blooded dane (and I suppose, Russians), can be. I wish you a good evening - see you around.

For what it's worth, I didn't say that you were immature, and I'd be the last one to espouse a correlation between quantity of posts and quality of posts. Neither were the point (and further elaboration of any points would be, well, pointless at this, uh, point). As you said, just a misunderstanding.

Third language? Your English skills compare favorably to the vast majority of our members. Quite remarkable actually.

Mod note:

There's some personal bickering going on about the original thread title (which was changed a loooong time ago, by the way). I've removed two posts that crossed the line at the request of posters in this thread. Please refrain from message board tiffs, especially over such tiny and inconsequential matters.

Thank you.

Then we'd need tight ends. Don't see how it makes that much of a difference.

noooooo.......

I'm glad as can be that they didn't do exactly what I was saying I hoped they wouldn't do. That is, draft YET ANOTHER O-lineman in the top half of the draft. They need to procure O-line from FA. Quantifiable, known O-lineman with a verifiable pro history.

Aside from that....fleener is the TE'endness

LOL....I like Fleener alot too and, for me anyways, that #34 pick was a hairsplitter. But picking Coby made sense under our particular circumstances.

Let's just say that like many of us....I'm getting weary of us being snake-bitten at OL/DT.