Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kurt Warner compares Luck to.......

NewColtsFan

.... the Falcons Matt Ryan.

Says a good to very good but not great (yet) QB. Not a great arm, but a timing QB who can make all the throws...

Here's the write-up from NFL.com and there is tape to listen to... it was a phone interview that Warner did with NFL Network.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82aacd3d/article/kurt-warner-andrew-luck-most-similar-to-matt-ryan-

One other thought... when you listen to Warner, I'm not sure he was expecting the question about who Luck is compared to, and I don't know how much thought he's given it. He sounded somewhat off guard to me.

My point being that when given more time, he might compare Luck to someone else, though I don't think Ryan is a bad comparison for now. One thing for sure, Luck is much more athletic than Ryan is.

When I heard that earlier today I thought it was a bad comparison. Now on the flipside someone on TV today said that Andrew Luck reminded them of Rich Gannon. I didn't think that was too bad a comparison when I heard it.

He's more like Aaron Rodgers. More athletic and bigger arm than Matty Ice. I think Ryan is his floor.

Yeah I dont think I agree with Warner completely on this. I also see Matt Ryan being his floor for potential. Luck has much better athletism than Ryan, and therefore is more mobile. He also has a stronger arm, and has better intangibles.

How do you go from the best prospect since John elway to Rich Gannon and Matt Ryan? That's absurd. If he turns out to be Gannon, then Mel Kiper, Jr. should be forced to publicly shave his head and apologize to Colt's Nation for getting our hopes up.

How do you go from the best prospect since John elway to Rich Gannon and Matt Ryan? That's absurd. If he turns out to be Gannon, then Mel Kiper, Jr. should be forced to publicly shave his head and apologize to Colt's Nation for getting our hopes up.

They didn't say statistically who does this guy remind you of, they said who does he remind you of when you watch him play. What player pops up in your head when you turn the tape on. Who do his mechanics look like? What quarterback does he run like? Who does he throw like? Who does his poise in the pocket remind you of?

People don't have to compare him to hall of famers when asked for a comparison based on stuff like that. All the tape I have watched on Andrew Luck he definitely does not remind me of Matt Ryan when I watch him play. The Rich Gannon comment I could deal with on the grounds of the criteria I mentioned above and truthfully there are better comparisons. You have to remember also that Gannon took his team to a super bowl (even though they got blasted) so it's not that big of an insult. Others have said Aaron Rodgers and when I think about it I don't think that one is far off as well.

Peoples minds are strange! At some point someone will go so far as to say he reminds them of Ben Rothlesburger which would be a really bad comparison. I don't come close to thinking of Big Ben when I watch Andrew Luck

To me I dont think Luck can compare to just one quarterback

Lucks been clocked as fast as Cam Newton

Has the arm of Ben Roethlisberger (not the strongest arm in the NFL but up there)

as for the rest I think that has yet to be determined in the NFL

He's more like Aaron Rodgers. More athletic and bigger arm than Matty Ice. I think Ryan is his floor.

I totally agree.... Luck can RUN...

And I love the potential of this O just simply on what the OC can do with a mobile QB. A dimension Indy fan has not seen since Harbaugh. Misdirection, bootlegs, waggles, and such are huge in an O... if it is run right.

Denver with Elway... SF with Montana and Young, ... fun fun fun...

I just HOPE Bruce will utilize the kids strengths right off the bat. And I think he will.

Peoples minds are strange! At some point someone will go so far as to say he reminds them of Ben Rothlesburger which would be a really bad comparison. I don't come close to thinking of Big Ben when I watch Andrew Luck

Yep, I just see a very mobile QB... yet very "big".... Luck is a true stud.

And Indy has him.... :blueshoe:

This is my favorite Luck play in college... Big Ben would never do this...

Manning would just walk away.... Andrew....

I love this kids attitude... Indy has winner on the way.

That fan in the link who commented on the article made an excellent argument in Matt Ryan's defense:

"Matt Ryan's record by season: 08: 11-5 09: 8-4(missed 4 games to injury) 10: 13-3 11: 10-6 42 wins 18 losses..... Rookie of the year in 2008 with playoff appearances in 3 out of 4 seasons played in his career. The 3 losses in the playoffs were to older more experienced veterans like Aaron Rodgers( superbowl champion), Eli Manning ( 2-time Superbowl champion), and Kurt Warner(Superbowl champion with Rams and runner up with cardinals)..."

Basically, we can't fault Ryan for not winning a playoff game with the time of competition he was pitted against. Rookie of the year? Only 4 games to injury? 3 out of 4 playoff appearances?... Having Andrew Luck compared to Matt Ryan sounds sensational to me!

When I heard that earlier today I thought it was a bad comparison. Now on the flipside someone on TV today said that Andrew Luck reminded them of Rich Gannon. I didn't think that was too bad a comparison when I heard it.
I'd rather be compared to Matty Ice than Gannon. Gannon was good but not great. Gannon played more for the Bucs in the SB than he did the Raiders

That fan in the link who commented on the article made an excellent argument in Matt Ryan's defense:

"Matt Ryan's record by season: 08: 11-5 09: 8-4(missed 4 games to injury) 10: 13-3 11: 10-6 42 wins 18 losses..... Rookie of the year in 2008 with playoff appearances in 3 out of 4 seasons played in his career. The 3 losses in the playoffs were to older more experienced veterans like Aaron Rodgers( superbowl champion), Eli Manning ( 2-time Superbowl champion), and Kurt Warner(Superbowl champion with Rams and runner up with cardinals)..."

Basically, we can't fault Ryan for not winning a playoff game with the time of competition he was pitted against. Rookie of the year? Only 4 games to injury? 3 out of 4 playoff appearances?... Having Andrew Luck compared to Matt Ryan sounds sensational to me!

We got A TON better player.... Skill set wise Luck is far superior. Ryan is NOT mobile. And in today's NFL that is HUGE.

Just a bad comparison.

The A Rodgers comparison is not far off..... Anddrew is just bigger and has FAR less concussions...

Wow I have never seen that before. Maybe we can get him out there playing some D for us lol.

I promise you... that "mentality' will have the Colts running through walls for him. ...

Respect...... Andrew will earn it...... fast.

I cant wait thats for sure. I have a feeling he will break almost every rookie record there is.

I don't think it matters that people compare him to this guy or that guy, we all know he has all the tools to be the best. The real question is going to be, can he be the best at his position in the NFL as he was in the college ranks and the biggest challenge, can he play in the NFL pocket with his head on a swivel. This is what made Manning so darn great, he was 125% aware of the NFL pocket and he worked tirelessly at his craft. Will Luck do the same? His pedigree says yes and so did Mannings so I think this will be the more defining mark of Lucks success not his strong/weak arm or speed of feet or his prototype height/weight.

Don't forget this is all media hype. They make up topics to keep them on the air as does ESPN and the NFL network and most of the topics are moronic and infantile. It would be nice to look up what was said about Manning and what if anything was said about Tom Beady (Who?). 99% fo each pregame show is for people that stop counting after the single digit expires (9). The FACTS are Luck is talented on his feet, throws a very accurate pass, is physically tough, responds instantly to pressure and makes very quick decisions. Now, time, study and work will all come to the front THEN listen to what the old players say and trust me it will be the same rhetoric over and over and over, just like when they all describe Peyton.B-O-R-I-N-G

When I first saw what Kurt Warner said,I immediately got angry. So I did some research comparing stats from college between Matt ryan and Andrew. And to be Frank there isn't any comparisons,check it out!

Matt ryan (college stats)

Career passing yards- 807 attempts 1346 completions for 9,313 yards,with a 60% career 56 passing touch Downs and 37 ints.

Career rushing stats- 169 attempts for a worthless 39 yards! And 11 tds.

Total quarter back rating- an average 126.3

Andrew luck (college stats)

Career passing yards- 713 completions 1064 attempts for 9,430 yards, it took Matt Ryan 4 years to put up the numbers he did. But anyway, 82 passing touch Downs to only 22 ints 70% career completion percentage, with mediocre talent.

Career rushing stats- 163 attempts for 957 yards on 6.0 yards per carry and 7 touch downs

total quarter back rating- an astounding 162.8

The truth is,Andrew luck can't be compared to anyone. He's in a class of his own,peyton Manning intellect for football was unparalleled. From a cerebral stand point the best that ever did it,but what im saying is that luck! Has the ability to be even greater, he possess the same genius except that he's mobile. Which will only make him even more dangerous, I saw the greatness in peyton when he came out of college and im calling it with Andrew. He will surpass peyton and create his legend in Indianapolis. Your not looking at the best prospect since john elway,or peyton. With his body of work your looking at the greatest talent at the quarter back position of all-time.

Johnny Dee: I am totally with you on the hit. I loved it. He does that in the Not For Long he will be here just that long. This aint' a league where QBs want to prove how bad they can be. I could say punters too, but well...Pat Mc likes to tackle :).....NFL=Not For Long!!!

I want to see Luck in the Arian's offense before I actually make my comparison. I tend to agree with 21st that he often has reminded me of number 18 himself. I only say 18 because I do not follow the Falcons, but have watched film of Ryan.

Warner has not been my favorite analyst of talent...but to each his own opinion...ask the late Howard Cosell ("Just telling it like it is.")

I agree with Gavin in that he maybe a combo of a couple of QBs. My hope is that he just becomes the first Andrew Luck.

That is an awesome play - but I hope in the pros he doesn't try that too often. I don't want him taking many big hits. There is nothing wrong with pulling a Peyton and laying down. Quick delivery, avoid hits, run out of bounds or slide. I want him to have a long injury free career.

The truth is,Andrew luck can't be compared to anyone. He's in a class of his own,peyton Manning intellect for football was unparalleled. From a cerebral stand point the best that ever did it,but what im saying is that luck! Has the ability to be even greater, he possess the same genius except that he's mobile. Which will only make him even more dangerous, I saw the greatness in peyton when he came out of college and im calling it with Andrew. He will surpass peyton and create his legend in Indianapolis. Your not looking at the best prospect since john elway,or peyton. With his body of work your looking at the greatest talent at the quarter back position of all-time.

My exact thoughts...Peyton’s intelligence and gestures drove the other team’s defenses crazy with frustration; If Luck practices that same type of mentality, and matches it with physical aggression; he will end up being, "the whole package".

Indeed,im not gonna call him a kid. Because im only 5 years older than him,but he's special. I can't say that I ever saw a combination of size athletic ability and intelligence, as I search through the archives there hasn't been another player like him and all his intangibles. To be heralded as the greatest prospect at his position since elway and peyton speaks and volumes about Andrew. He's a winner! He shattered all of elways records, but the total yardage mark! He's second in that category. And he did it all in just three years. Elway play for 5 years, even though elway himself hated on the young prodigy. But that was just pride,I expect him to eat those words in the near future.

I forgot that play.Maybe Luck could play both sides of the ball/ We do need some cb help.

Not a big fan of comparisons, but I'd I had to wing one out there and compare his style to a (current pro) it would probably be a more athletic, less bone headed, and smarter version of Ben or kind of like Rodgers.

Hopefully we will just see Luck be Luck, his own entity, a great QB with an enigmatic unique play style. Who knows.

When it comes to the criticisms of his arm and his athleticism, he does compare to Rodgers. However, the way he carries himself and conducts himself on the field is reminiscent of Matt Ryan. And that's really not a bad comparison.

Matt Ryan has gotten a bit of a raw deal here lately. He hasn't done anything wrong, if you ask me. His stats through four years compare to Manning's, not in volume, but in percentages. They haven't broken through in the playoffs yet (how did it take for Manning to win a playoff game again, six years?) but that's not because there's something wrong with Matt Ryan. He's a very good quarterback, a franchise level player. There's been a lot of noise about some other guys here lately, some more exciting (Tebow), some more athletic (Newton), some with a little more playoff success (Sanchez, Flacco), etc. Some worse than him, but none really better. He's the most consistent and stable of all of them (save Newton, who is one year in).

Another reason I like the comparison is because Matt Ryan took over as quarterback of a team that was is terrible shape. They fired their GM and head coach and a lot of their coaching staff after a 4-12 season, hired coaches and management who had no experience in their new gigs, and installed a rookie quarterback. The result was a 11-5 record and a trip to the playoffs.

The 2012 Colts remind me a lot of the 2008 Falcons, as I've said before. If we have even a measure of their success this season, we'll have done something right.

I think this is fair. I've always felt the high side for Luck is being a Peyton Manning type and the lowside is being a Matt Ryan type. I don't think that's a bad thing I think Ryan is a good young QB who is still getting better. I don't know if he'll ever be thought of as one of the best QBs in the game but I think he's good enough to win at a very high level with if you put the right peaces around him.