Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Props to Colts Off-Seasn from ESPN....

NewColtsFan

One of their football writers, Matt Williamson, a former NFL Scout, has graded every team, and today offers his grades for all the AFC teams and what they did this off-season.

Colts came in 4th with a B+ grade. (Behind Buffalo, KC and Denver)

Williamson liked both our draft, and our free agency signings...

Says the Colts surrounded Luck with some good talent. That Avery has flashed his former incredible speed in OTA's. That the OL, while not great, is improved. That the running game should be competent. And that whatever we've done to the defense is just to get us to next year and beyond where the big improvements will come. Says Arians will want more balance in the pass/run ratio.

On the downside, he says we're the front-runner for the 1st pick overall. (I strongly disagree) But says we've made a good start overall. (I guess our defense will determine who good or bad we really are)

Finally.... he says that while we'll lose plenty this year, we're building the program the right way. (strongly agree!)

Note:

I can't link because it's an "Insiders" story... Sorry.

One of their football writers, Matt Williamson, a former NFL Scout, has graded every team, and today offers his grades for all the AFC teams and what they did this off-season.

Says the Colts surrounded Luck with some good talent. That Avery has flashed his former incredible speed in OTA's. That the OL, while not great, is improved. That the running game should be competent. And that whatever we've done to the defense is just to get us to next year and beyond where the big improvements will come. Says Arians will want more balance in the pass/run ratio.

On the downside, he says we're the front-runner for the 1st pick overall. (I strongly disagree) But says we've made a good start overall. (I guess our defense will determine who good or bad we really are)

Finally.... he says that while we'll lose plenty this year, we're building the program the right way. (strongly agree!)

Note:

How does he think we are the frontrunners for #1? Oh well, let them think that. We won't do well, but does he really think we will be as bad as last year, where we narrowly missed getting the #1 pick?

Another preview from a somewhat objective perspective, a Pats writer:

http://articles.boston.com/2012-07-06/sports/32568171_1_freeney-and-mathis-jerraud-powers-gary-brackett

4. What needs to happen for this team to win big?

Learn a new offense and a new defense very, very quickly. And for the offensive and defensive lines to come together as units early on.

5. Realistic expectations for this team at this point?

If the Colts can win 5 to 6 games this year, that would be a good stepping off point for a franchise that reportedly has $43M in salary cap availability in 2013.

Note:

Nice! As far as being the front runner for the #1 pick, that's fair. If anyone thinks it's another team (Vikes, Browns, Fins, Jags?), just go to their blogs and you'll see they have as much or more optimism than us.

Nice! As far as being the front runner for the #1 pick, that's fair. If anyone thinks it's another team (Vikes, Browns, Fins, Jags?), just go to their blogs and you'll see they have as much or more optimism than us.

I figure that's pretty much true.

But I can't see how Jag fans could possibly have any optimism for their team.

I figure that's pretty much true.

But I can't see how Jag fans could possibly have any optimism for their team.

All hinges on how well Gabbert plays in my opinion, he has a #1 receiver to throw to now, they have a good offensive line

Note:

I don't think we'll get the first overall pick but I do think we'll have a fairly high pick next year. Not unlike what happened the year after we took Manning. We ended up picking 4th I believe. That's not a bad thing. I think the target next year will be either shut down corner or future number one WR to go with Luck. Either of those should be there with a fairly high pick. If we do get the top pick though odds are we'll be like the Rams this year we can pretty much sit back and wait for a team that needs a QB to give us the top pick's weight in draft picks to move back a handful of spots.

I think we've had a very good off-season all things considered. We gutted the team and started the rebuilding process which is going to take some time. Frankly rather than doing what was probably going to be a slow decline over the next few years we just rushed the process along and took most of the body shots as fans in one off-season. I think the moves Grigson made the start the rebuilding process were very good but I also think it'll take a little bit of time for them all to pay off. So while I don't expect great results this season I do think in a year or two we are going to be that hot young team again just like were during the 1999 season. Hopefully it wont take as many lumps for this team to break threw though :).

Note:

Under given circumstances we couldn't make much better draft. And I really think, that Luck is provided with good weaponry. Our D will be beter than last year, but thats not a big deal... Our D will be far from perfect this season. However we made some good addition, and extra pounds were put in the middle, defensive plays will be quite different from last year's so defensive players shall learn a whole new thing, that may cause difficulties.Just thinking of transition from 4-3 to 3-4 (yeah, that's gonna be some sort of hybrid, but I think we can say farewell to Tampa2), and agressive defense (Pagano likes to attack oposing QBs from every possible angle.)

Edited by HungarianColtsFan

Under given circumstances we couldn't make much better draft. And I really think, that Luck is provided with good weaponry. Our D will be beter than last year, but thats not a big deal... Our D will be far from perfect this season. However we made some good addition, and extra pounds were put in the middle, defensive plays will be quite different from last year's so defensive players shall learn a whole new thing, that may cause difficulties.Just thinking of transition from 4-3 to 3-4 (yeah, that's gonna be some sort of hybrid, but I think we can say farewell to Tampa2), and agressive defense (Pagano likes to attack oposing QBs from every possible angle.)

Exactly I know we didn't go as heavy on defense in the draft as some wanted but had we drafted defense then people would be upset that we didn't get Luck enough weapons. It just spoke to the fact we had more holes than could be filled in one off-season.

Exactly I know we didn't go as heavy on defense in the draft as some wanted but had we drafted defense then people would be upset that we didn't get Luck enough weapons. It just spoke to the fact we had more holes than could be filled in one off-season.

And You are right. We had too many holes to fill. With drafting Luck, O-line had the priority. I'm not complaining on lack of defensive draftees, I'm just trying to point out, that our D-schemes will be quite different from last season's, so even our vets has to learn it, not to mention new players.

And You are right. We had too many holes to fill. With drafting Luck, O-line had the priority. I'm not complaining on lack of defensive draftees, I'm just trying to point out, that our D-schemes will be quite different from last season's, so even our vets has to learn it, not to mention new players.

Oh I know you weren't. I was agreeing with you that's all.

I can't see us picking at #1 next year, but we'll probably pick early.

We're at a point where we're rebuilding the team for the future, new offensive & defensive system and a lot of young players untested at NFL level. We won't get anywhere near the playoffs, and I'm okay with that as long as we're building for the future.

To the point - I agree that what we've done this offseason, has been close to an A grade. Great draft and several solid FA's brought in.

The biggest improvement to our defense this year will be an improved offense. We will have possesion of the ball longer, and put more points on the board. Remember that Luck is not Painter.

I can see us winning between 3 and 7 games, perhaps even 8.

Note:

He contradicts himself..'

If we get the No.1 overall pick..

..then we didnt draft that well and some of the free agents we signed didnt work out.

No. 1 overall means 2-14 against..most likely...

...so if we are 2-14 again....we didnt draft and sign well..

You can have it either way but probably not both ways...

He contradicts himself..'

If we get the No.1 overall pick..

..then we didnt draft that well and some of the free agents we signed didnt work out.

No. 1 overall means 2-14 against..most likely...

...so if we are 2-14 again....we didnt draft and sign well..

You can have it either way but probably not both ways...

Not true not all records are equal if you look at the 97 Colts team that was 3-13 and the 98 Colts team that was also 3-13 you could see they were very different 3-13 teams. The 97 team was much like last year a team that had gotten old and didn't really have much of a future going forward and left you just feeling hopeless. The 98 team was clearly a young team on the rise that left you with a good feeling about the future.

The Colts aren't building for this coming season they are building for it to pay off in two or three years. It's a work in progress so even if we don't have record results right away it doesn't mean we didn't do a good job during this off-season.

Not true not all records are equal if you look at the 97 Colts team that was 3-13 and the 98 Colts team that was also 3-13 you could see they were very different 3-13 teams. The 97 team was much like last year a team that had gotten old and didn't really have much of a future going forward and left you just feeling hopeless. The 98 team was clearly a young team on the rise that left you with a good feeling about the future.

The Colts aren't building for this coming season they are building for it to pay off in two or three years. It's a work in progress so even if we don't have record results right away it doesn't mean we didn't do a good job during this off-season.

We cant improve and still be 0-13 after 13 games again.....lets not kid anybody

If we are 2-14 against the schedule we play..in 2012....its a major letdown..

and we didnt draft and sign well...because we were 2-14 against the same schedule last year.

What you say about '97 and '98 is debatbale.....Its hindsight to say that the '98 Colts were clearly a team on the rise..

I dont recall it that way..Maybe you do. But this is most definetly NOT 1998. history nevers repeats exactly.

We didnt gut our defense ....we'll start a veteran crew..and we had one of the worst offenses in team history in 2011

..and we drafted 7 guys there..

agian..you can say we did well or that we did poorly in our rebuild

but 2-14 against the schedule we play means that many of the moves we made. especally on defense..we're failures..

History never really repeats itself. Never.

Well, that's a pretty heavy point, and in a way your right, but as historians say, "those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it"

I'm probably going to be pondering this for awhile, thanks unc.

I'm slightly preplexed by those who are pretty sure our D will be significantly better. It could be, but with a new formation, only a few high quality starters and almost zero strength in depth, we could be worse than last year. When we were riding high a few years back, almost all regular posters on here mused on how hard it is to transition to a 3-4. Now, because we had no where else to go after last years defensive debacle, we are onto a sure fire winner.

I'm pessimistically optimistic that we can really gel with the new look, but I would bet any of my father-in-laws millions on it.

I'm slightly preplexed by those who are pretty sure our D will be significantly better. It could be, but with a new formation, only a few high quality starters and almost zero strength in depth, we could be worse than last year. When we were riding high a few years back, almost all regular posters on here mused on how hard it is to transition to a 3-4. Now, because we had no where else to go after last years defensive debacle, we are onto a sure fire winner.

I'm pessimistically optimistic that we can really gel with the new look, but I would bet any of my father-in-laws millions on it.

We were so classically and historically bad last year, I don't see how we could be worse. It's not impossible, but the way I see it, it's highly unlikely.

As a matter of fact, even with our roster last season, with just a couple of adjustments, we could be better. It showed when we switched coordinators.

I don't expect us to be top ten, but I do expect -- yes, expect -- notable improvement from our defense. We're not home free, of course. We still have some spots that are unsettled, at best. The scheme adjustments could go horribly wrong if Mathis and Freeney don't adapt well. Manusky has shown that he can misuse his best players if allowed. Pagano has one year as a coordinator in the NFL. There are tons of question marks. But given how bad we were last year, and what our coaches have shown in the past, and the quality of the players on the roster (Bethea, Freeney and Mathis are players virtually every team in the NFL would love to have, and Angerer, Nevis, Redding, Powers aren't chopped liver), we should be better.

You're right about the transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4. However, Wade Phillips did an awesome job with that transition in Houston last year, and Pagano's defense has a lot of similarities to what the Texans did. I don't think we have a surefire winner just yet, but I am optimistic. There's nowhere to go but up.

I can't see us picking at #1 next year, but we'll probably pick early.

Personally, having a top 5 pick next year would also provide us LOTs of options to trade back, now that we have our QB that we want. It will also allow us to play free agency based on how the draft goes. I like our options during the next offseason.

It is funny how fickle these writers are. If Peyton Manning had played last year and we let go of the free agents we did, they would be saying that you can never count out the Colts as long as Manning, Wayne, Collie, Freeney, and Mathis are still on the team. But now, for some reason, we have mediocre or aging receivers.

I think this team is closer to the 2010 team then the 2011 team. You could see last year that if we even had a middle of the road NFL QB, we probably would have won 6-7 games. I do agree that Manning made everything look better, but Painter made everything look worse than it was.

I think the 2012 Colts will win 6-9 games and actually contend for a playoff birth.

We were so classically and historically bad last year, I don't see how we could be worse. It's not impossible, but the way I see it, it's highly unlikely.

As a matter of fact, even with our roster last season, with just a couple of adjustments, we could be better. It showed when we switched coordinators.

I don't expect us to be top ten, but I do expect -- yes, expect -- notable improvement from our defense. We're not home free, of course. We still have some spots that are unsettled, at best. The scheme adjustments could go horribly wrong if Mathis and Freeney don't adapt well. Manusky has shown that he can misuse his best players if allowed. Pagano has one year as a coordinator in the NFL. There are tons of question marks. But given how bad we were last year, and what our coaches have shown in the past, and the quality of the players on the roster (Bethea, Freeney and Mathis are players virtually every team in the NFL would love to have, and Angerer, Nevis, Redding, Powers aren't chopped liver), we should be better.

You're right about the transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4. However, Wade Phillips did an awesome job with that transition in Houston last year, and Pagano's defense has a lot of similarities to what the Texans did. I don't think we have a surefire winner just yet, but I am optimistic. There's nowhere to go but up.

Hey as long as we don't lose by 55 points or more to a team this year I am going to call it an improvement over last year!

We cant improve and still be 0-13 after 13 games again.....lets not kid anybody

If we are 2-14 against the schedule we play..in 2012....its a major letdown..

and we didnt draft and sign well...because we were 2-14 against the same schedule last year.

What you say about '97 and '98 is debatbale.....Its hindsight to say that the '98 Colts were clearly a team on the rise..

I dont recall it that way..Maybe you do. But this is most definetly NOT 1998. history nevers repeats exactly.

We didnt gut our defense ....we'll start a veteran crew..and we had one of the worst offenses in team history in 2011

..and we drafted 7 guys there..

agian..you can say we did well or that we did poorly in our rebuild

but 2-14 against the schedule we play means that many of the moves we made. especally on defense..we're failures..

No it doesn't. You can't judge by the record alone. Again see the 97 and 98 seasons as examples. The exact same records both season yet two completely different view points if you looked at the teams. One was a team that just awful and needed to go in another direction. The other clearly had a future and that future was realized the next year when we went 13-3.

You can't judge a season based on record alone. No going 2-14 again wouldn't be a good thing but it's possible to be 2-14 and lose close games at the end just because you are a young team and go hey they are headed in the right direction where as last year in a lot of games the team wasn't even competitive. We went something like a month and a half without a touchdown last year. If we don't do that again and we are losing because we are young team that is clearly getting the experience it needs no this year and the moves would not be a failure they would be a sign of good things to come. The Colts didn't make the moves they did this off-season to pay off this year. If that was the case they wouldn't have gutted the team to take the cap hits this year. So you can't judge all the moves they made this off-season based just on this season because the Colts don't expect most of them to pay off this year. If two or three years from now they are still going 2-14 or 3-13 then yes the moves would have failed but you can't make that call after one season of the rebuilding process. That's why it's called a process it's not going to happen in one season.

Also people were saying the Colts were a team on the rise and a team with a future during the 98 season. I remember when Peyton lead his first game winning drive against the Jets that year and there were major stories about signs of things to come for the Colts after the game. So no it's not just hindsight people realized that the Colts of 98 were a team on the rise I don't know if they expected it to come in 1999 but they understood they were better than the 97 team the just knew the 98 team was young and learning. Yet you could see them taking steps and you knew it was going to pay off.

Question to all: What is wrong with being the #1 pick next year? That only helps our team again, but build an amazing Defense. So lets take it if it happens. though i think we can win 6 games and therefore we wont. But still.

And i think this whole #1 draft pick with Luck was almost designed. It seems just too perfect. Let manning rest, sign autographs to people who write in (which my wife got for me for my Bday. Best ever!). They knew they couldnt afford him, he wants another championship and most likely couldnt get it with the Colts. Perfect reason for both to have a mutual split. And Andrew Luck was available, which seems to have been groomed for this role early on seeing as the two families are close. Conspiracy theory i know.

We already did the worst team in the league thing. I don't want to do that again. And that's my reason why it won't happen.

We already did the worst team in the league thing. I don't want to do that again. And that's my reason why it won't happen.

Okay. Not sure what you mean though. I agree I also don't want us to have the #1 pick. I was just pointing out that those other teams fans have as much 'hope' as we do.

The Colts didn't make the moves they did this off-season to pay off this year. If that was the case they wouldn't have gutted the team to take the cap hits this year. So you can't judge all the moves they made this off-season based just on this season because the Colts don't expect most of them to pay off this year.

I agree that there's some balance required, and I've said that we could possibly have the exact same record but have improved as a team.

However, we didn't gut the team. We got rid of players that weren't effective for us last season and the season before. Their replacements are already on the team, and have already produced for us, in most cases. Even with the dead cap hits, our roster in 2012 is better than our roster in 2011, given the injuries we sustained.

If we are the worst team in the league again I guess it means nothing to me. Is being the 2nd or 3rd worst team much better? Getting that #1 pick could really be beneficial.

Anyway, I think year 3 is when we will see what this team will be. I like the moves so far, but it's just a start. After the cap space is cleared and we can go through another draft and free agency period and get those guys some experience we will see where things are going.

Question to all: What is wrong with being the #1 pick next year? That only helps our team again, but build an amazing Defense. So lets take it if it happens. though i think we can win 6 games and therefore we wont. But still.

If we get the #1 pick next year, I would expect us to flip it for the same package the Rams got for #2 this year, but maybe a little bit more. So I'd be fine with that.

I would, however, be disappointed that we didn't win more games, and I'd think that our coaching staff and front office could have done a better job.