Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts 'Officially' retire the #18 jersey?

GoColts00

I believe Yes considering what Peyton has meant to the organization. I would have liked him to finish his career in Indy and i hope for the best for him in the future (unless he's playing against the Colts).

Your thoughts.....

ABSOLUTELY 100% WITHOUT A DOUBT YES.

Without Peyton there would be no new stadium highly unlikely we would have AFC championships let alone a superbowl and another appearance considering the QB's that came out since Peyton and our chance of getting one.

He was the franchise and that was proven last season.

He is still my favourite player unfortunately not on my favourite team.

So Colts do the right thing and retire the jersey immediately

GO COLTS

I believe Yes considering what Peyton has meant to the organization. I would have liked him to finish his career in Indy and i hope for the best for him in the future (unless he's playing against the Colts).

Your thoughts.....

Of course they will. It just might not be until Peyton retires. That way there can be a big welcoming home ceremony for Peyton and he can be reminded what team to go into the HOF with. Peyton is just in Dever as a hired mercenary right now.

Yeah, big PM will probably be the last player to ever wear 18 for the Colts...unless another great, multi Super Bowl-winning Hall of Famer appears and wants to wear the number.

The only person(s) to wear the #18 Colts Jersey from this point on will be the thousands of Manning Fans who own such Jerseys. I am one of those.... btw your Avatar disturbs me :facepalm:

As Gramz, bluebambi, & many others have already referenced, owner Jim Irsay has publicly stated no one else will wear Peyton's number in INDY.

On a personal note, QuizBoy must have really enjoyed stories of Greek Mythology growing up huh? Especially stories pertaining to Centaurs. Creatures that were half men/half horse holding a bow & arrow as their primary weapon of choice.

The only person(s) to wear the #18 Colts Jersey from this point on will be the thousands of Manning Fans who own such Jerseys. I am one of those.... btw your Avatar disturbs me :facepalm:

haha you're the third person on here to say that. I personally think it is less disturbing than the prospect of seeing Manning in a Broncos jersey.

haha you're the third person on here to say that. I personally think it [my Centaur avatar] is less disturbing than the prospect of seeing Manning in a Broncos jersey.

I couldn't agree with you more QuizBoy. That Sherbert Orange uniform & horse head vs. horse shoe on the side of the helmet will never look right to me in a million years...Tu Che & well said indeed.

No offense at all to anyone, but this whole retiring the number thingy is one of the most pointless gestures in sport. So I personally don't care. Everybody knows what this man did for the game, and I don't need some pretentious act to safe keep his legacy.

Has anyone ever wondered what would happen if there weren't enough numbers for the players becuz ofthe retired numbers? Lol

The NFL discourages teams from retiring numbers for this reason.

Obviously Peyton is deserving of an exception.

They'll wait until he retires and we'll have him back at LOS for a walk down memory lane.

The real question is, when is the statue being built?

I believe this will happen, probably as part of the retirement ceremony.

My question would be, what pose will he be forever captured in?

manning-devil.jpg

No? Oh c;mon...how awesome would that be...

Has anyone ever wondered what would happen if there weren't enough numbers for the players becuz ofthe retired numbers? Lol

18? Retire yes

Futurama made jokes about this - they gave players fractions because all the whole numbers were retired :D

206105.jpg

they cant retire it until he retires though. but they can keep other players from wearing it.

retiring a jersey is an act of sentiment. irsay said no one else will ever wear it again, so the sentiment is there. the jersey is retired

sure there will be a ceremony hoisting the jersey to the rafters, but that's just a feel good moment

a lot of folks wanted 88 retired, but that's just silly

Agreed. Marvin was great but the retiring of a number should be reserved for only the most extreme circumstances. Has anyone worn 88 since Marvin?