Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts 'Officially' retire the #18 jersey?

GoColts00

ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY !!

I know that Jim Irsay doesn't "believe" in "retiring numbers" - but - in this case it is a no-brainer !!

The jersey should be "retired" and Manning added to the "Ring of Honor" the first season that the Colts have a home game during the Broncos "bye week" so that Manning can be in attendance !!

Fans DESERVE the opportunity to thank Manning for all he did for our franchise - AND - our community !!

They will when Peyton retires and they can bring Peyton back and let him "reite a Colt.". Till then it would be best for the Colts to just ignore Peyton and not remind fans of the fact he's playing for another team and try to let the fans embrace Andrew Luck.

Till then it would be best for the Colts to just ignore Peyton and not remind fans of the fact he's playing for another team and try to let the fans embrace Andrew Luck.

I think it's best for the fans as well. I think the temptation to walk down memory lane will be too strong until the season gets going. Some winning would certainly serve us well in forgetting what we lost. I know "forget" is a harsh word that some may take poorly, but as long as Manning is still active, it really is best that we do forget Manning when our Colts get started in 2012.

I believe Yes considering what Peyton has meant to the organization. I would have liked him to finish his career in Indy and i hope for the best for him in the future (unless he's playing against the Colts).

Your thoughts.....

No.

When Manning retires, they will retire the #.

I think it's best for the fans as well. I think the temptation to walk down memory lane will be too strong until the season gets going. Some winning would certainly serve us well in forgetting what we lost. I know "forget" is a harsh word that some may take poorly, but as long as Manning is still active, it really is best that we do forget Manning when our Colts get started in 2012.

Not meant to start anything just trying to expand here. I think move on is a better word than forget and I think that is what you were getting at. Just moving on to the Andrew Luck. Like if you break up with someone you don't forget them if they were important to you. You just move on with your life. Nothing wrong with that in facts it's very healthy to do.

Why does this thread keep going and going.....???? It has been stated by Mr. Irsay that No player will ever again wear the #18 for the Colts, so essentially it has been retired. The "official" retiring of the Jersey and hanging it up in the stadium I would assume will happen after "#18 himself" retires..... In answer to the opening post.... It SHOULD, it WILL, it HAS.

I am sure the Colts will retire #18. Like a couple of other fans have stated. Irsay said no one else would wear #18. They would more than likely wait for his retirment before that happens. I would think PM would wait also as he wouldn't want to put his new team in the background. I could be wrong, it might happen in the next off season.

do you guys think peyton will sign a 1 day contract with the colts so he can retire as a colt?

I really think he will. Indianapolis will always be home to Peyton and I think there is a part of Peyton that will want to see things end right with the people who were his fans for the bulk of his career. Then again I could see Peyton not wanting to come back and over shadow Luck either. However, hopefully in five years Luck is well on his way to his own Hall of Fame career and wont have to worry about the return on Peyton Manning.

Do we have a forumula for retiring a jersey? Where do we draw the line? What is the 'entry criteria'? So Marvin didn't do enough (even though one could argue he helped make Peyton great?), but Peyton did? This is one reason why I don't like this idea. It is very subjective.

And a little cringe worthy.....

Do we have a forumula for retiring a jersey? Where do we draw the line? What is the 'entry criteria'? So Marvin didn't do enough (even though one could argue he helped make Peyton great?), but Peyton did? This is one reason why I don't like this idea. It is very subjective.

I think the lack of definitive criteria is what makes the honor so special. Players like Reggie Miller (Indiana Pacers), whom defined a generation of fans, are of a certain inherent quality of greatness.

As to Harrison; Yes, he helped Peyton garner gaudy stats. However he did not make Peyton, Peyton made him. Marvin Harrison would've been long forgotten if he was stuck in Oakland, Cleveland, Tampa etc.

I think the lack of definitive criteria is what makes the honor so special. Players like Reggie Miller (Indiana Pacers), whom defined a generation of fans, are of a certain inherent quality of greatness.

As to Harrison; Yes, he helped Peyton garner gaudy stats. However he did not make Peyton, Peyton made him. Marvin Harrison would've been long forgotten if he was stuck in Oakland, Cleveland, Tampa etc.

Lack of criteria means it's a meaningless award in my opinion. Peoples favourites v hard statistical achievement.

Whilst I agree re Marvin, it is conjecture M'Lord....

And a little cringe worthy.....

i know what you mean. it's just one of those things you know it when you see it. the affect peyton had on the colts franchise and the city of indianapolis is a rarity in modern sports. like i said previously, i m generally against retiring numbers, but it is entirely appropriate here.

as someone else mentioned, who would have the kahunas to request to wear 18. no one is going to wear it, so retire it already

I believe Yes considering what Peyton has meant to the organization. I would have liked him to finish his career in Indy and i hope for the best for him in the future (unless he's playing against the Colts).

Your thoughts.....

I didn't read all the replies but I'm sure I'm not the first to remember that Irsay said no one else will wear it so it IS retired unofficially.