Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeney talks to Polian about his new role

Superman

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/36747/freeney-upbeat-about-new-position

Polian:
“I can’t get used to hearing ‘Colts outside linebacker Dwight Freeney.’ Tell me what the new defense is going to ask you to do, how you think you are going to be deployed and how you are viewing it and what you are looking forward to.”

Freeney:
“Yeah, it’s definitely something that I’m not used to hearing. But it’s going to be interesting and fun for me. I’ve been doing, as you know, the same thing I’ve always been doing for 10 years, going on my 11th year now. And I’ve been pretty successful at it. They’re going to be putting in a system similar to kinda like, you know, maybe the Ravens or Pittsburgh a little bit, outside linebacker, which is a proven system that works.

“So I guess for me it is just getting familiar with all those nuances, my line of sight, walking around, dropping in coverage. I’m doing those things and, you know, that’s just going to take a little time in the beginning to get used to, to get as comfortable as I have been having my hand on the ground, being in one position.

“But also this is going to probably benefit me maybe a little bit because I’m not in a blackboard position, as we call it, where they know exactly where I am and they know exactly what we’re going to do. We’ll be coming with different various blitzes from different sides. I’ll be moving around so I’ll be harder to find.”

Polian:
“So similar to what [Terrell] Suggs did in Baltimore?”

Freeney:
“Similar to it. I’m sure we’ll come up with our own little tweaks to that whole entire system. But I think from a pass-rusher’s standpoint, that’s the benefit if you can go out and be able to do all that you have done, for me, on one side. Now being able to pass rush against the opposite tackle who may be a weaker player, maybe they’ll single out a guard, who knows what they’ll do? Which will give me some opportunities to make some big plays where in the past it was pretty much, ‘Dwight, you’re on the right, whatever they throw at you just handle it and deal with it.”

http://espn.go.com/b...ut-new-position

Polian:
“I can’t get used to hearing ‘Colts outside linebacker Dwight Freeney.’ Tell me what the new defense is going to ask you to do, how you think you are going to be deployed and how you are viewing it and what you are looking forward to.”

Freeney:
“Yeah, it’s definitely something that I’m not used to hearing. But it’s going to be interesting and fun for me. I’ve been doing, as you know, the same thing I’ve always been doing for 10 years, going on my 11th year now. And I’ve been pretty successful at it. They’re going to be putting in a system similar to kinda like, you know, maybe the Ravens or Pittsburgh a little bit, outside linebacker, which is a proven system that works.

“So I guess for me it is just getting familiar with all those nuances, my line of sight, walking around, dropping in coverage. I’m doing those things and, you know, that’s just going to take a little time in the beginning to get used to, to get as comfortable as I have been having my hand on the ground, being in one position.

“But also this is going to probably benefit me maybe a little bit because I’m not in a blackboard position, as we call it, where they know exactly where I am and they know exactly what we’re going to do. We’ll be coming with different various blitzes from different sides. I’ll be moving around so I’ll be harder to find.”

Polian:

Freeney:
“Similar to it. I’m sure we’ll come up with our own little tweaks to that whole entire system. But I think from a pass-rusher’s standpoint, that’s the benefit if you can go out and be able to do all that you have done, for me, on one side. Now being able to pass rush against the opposite tackle who may be a weaker player, maybe they’ll single out a guard, who knows what they’ll do? Which will give me some opportunities to make some big plays where in the past it was pretty much, ‘Dwight, you’re on the right, whatever they throw at you just handle it and deal with it.”

Awesome that he is embracing it.. Although i feel a reply coming that includes the words "Hot Tater"

Some folks seem to be under the impression that as an OLB, he'll be dropping in coverage half the time and covering TEs. That's just not how it'll work. His job will be to set the edge against a run on his way to the QB. The 5% of plays that he does drop back, it will be to cover the flat....something that even the most scrubbish of players can do.

Some folks seem to be under the impression that as an OLB, he'll be dropping in coverage half the time and covering TEs. That's just not how it'll work. His job will be to set the edge against a run on his way to the QB. The 5% of plays that he does drop back, it will be to cover the flat....something that even the most scrubbish of players can do.

I agree...he will still have hand down on 75% of the plays. He is an amazing athlete, but cannot cover any receiver. His job will be to to 'stay home' on many plays. Edited by BrentMc11

i think our defense is going to be better than the so called experts say........We have a good base of defensive players. IMO the suspect spot will be corner, Now with a more of a blitz heavy package, if the guys up front do their job we do not need shut down corners. We'll see. :rock:

All I have ever worried about is slowing Dwights process down even a little bit. His game is based on freedom to just rush the qb. Never play the run and mostly speed and athleticism. Now he will have more responsibilities. Yes I like moving him around but I worry will he contain. Remember how Tebow ate up the Steelers because Harrison wouldn't contain? Can he still rush effectively while keeping an eye on the ball carrier and those other responsibilities. Maybe he will. Thats what we hope. Mostly the negatives I a have are with his contract and our cap. Looking at what we did in the draft there is no doubt he is on the roster for the rest of the season. We didn't get really any help for that position. Either he succeeds or we fail.

All I have ever worried about is slowing Dwights process down even a little bit. His game is based on freedom to just rush the qb. Never play the run and mostly speed and athleticism. Now he will have more responsibilities. Yes I like moving him around but I worry will he contain. Remember how Tebow ate up the Steelers because Harrison wouldn't contain? Can he still rush effectively while keeping an eye on the ball carrier and those other responsibilities. Maybe he will. Thats what we hope. Mostly the negatives I a have are with his contract and our cap. Looking at what we did in the draft there is no doubt he is on the roster for the rest of the season. We didn't get really any help for that position. Either he succeeds or we fail.

oh with almost everything being new we are gonna fail thats pretty concrete, we will just lose 14 million dollars doing it, thats not to say we wont win a few games and our offense wont play well, I bet they will but as far as wins go, it will be a fail, cause the goal is to win

This will be fun to watch. Freeney moving around and rushing from wherever he wants instead of teams being able to focus on him and double team him

I agree. I don't know if they will make the conversion or not but it will be fun to watch.

I think both Mathis and Freeney will be able to play and succeed in their new roles. Both are very athletic, smart, football players. Both know how to study film, now how to keep their bodies prepared. Bottom line is they are football players who have proven to be among the best at what they do. Now they get to do more of it. It may succeed or it may fail but I don't know how anyone that enjoys the game would not be excited about the possibilities.

I think it will be fun for Dwight to be all over the field. And some times he will be standing up and using his speed to get through the line. I know I envision seeing Freeney and/or Mathis standing over top of the guard and coming in and blowing up a play just by using their speed. I can see that a lot and I am sure Pagano and Manusky see that too.

I can't imagine the advantage that Freeney and Mathis would have over a weaker guard not knowing that they are coming his way. It won't even be funny. I take that back, it's going to be hilarious. They are as fast as any linebacker, so that won't be a problem.

i think our defense is going to be better than the so called experts say........We have a good base of defensive players. IMO the suspect spot will be corner, Now with a more of a blitz heavy package, if the guys up front do their job we do not need shut down corners. We'll see. :rock:

All you have to do is watch past Steelers and Ravens games. I agree 100% with you, for neither of those teams has had what we would consider a 'shutdown' corner in quite some time and they see to be always ranked in the Top 10 in points allowed. They each rely heavily on a ballhawking safety, which I believe Beathea could be decent at. As long as the NT attracts 2 or 3 OL, Freeney and Mathis check the RB on the way to the QB and the corners can press cover for 3 seconds, the D will be fine. Don't be surprised if Angerer is in the Top 5 in the NFL in total tackles (if he's healthy for all 16 games).

i am so excited to watch this defense this season, the only problem is no primetme games except one thursday game. makes me sad

I know, right! And I'm stuck out here in OK, where they only show Cowboys and Chiefs' games... :wall:

i am so excited to watch this defense this season, the only problem is no primetme games except one thursday game. makes me sad

DVR...anytime is game time..although I hate when I DVR one game to watch the other later only to see the stinking score flashed on the screen..NFL needs to stop doing that LOL

I agree. I don't know if they will make the conversion or not but it will be fun to watch.

I think both Mathis and Freeney will be able to play and succeed in their new roles. Both are very athletic, smart, football players. Both know how to study film, now how to keep their bodies prepared. Bottom line is they are football players who have proven to be among the best at what they do. Now they get to do more of it. It may succeed or it may fail but I don't know how anyone that enjoys the game would not be excited about the possibilities.

Nope, sorry it's going to fail, Gavin said so.

oh with almost everything being new we are gonna fail thats pretty concrete, we will just lose 14 million dollars doing it, thats not to say we wont win a few games and our offense wont play well, I bet they will but as far as wins go, it will be a fail, cause the goal is to win

Texans seemed to pick it up fairly quickly. No reason Freeney can't do it if Williams did it, and Williams is WAY bigger than your typical LB.

This will be fun to watch. Freeney moving around and rushing from wherever he wants instead of teams being able to focus on him and double team him

One thing I think about though...well, several...

Free's workouts for the past however many years have been tailored to using his body to come off the edge, blast through or around a T, TE, RB. And all of that will continue to serve him well. But IMO if you've ever watched him (we all have)...he is tight...sure he is fast. But he is not as fluid as a lot of 3/4 LBs are. So, that for me is a concern. No doubt William Hicks has changed up his workout routine to target different muscle groups now...but after 10+ years of working your body one way on & off the field...I wonder how fast or slow that physical transition will progress.

http://stacktv.stack...on-Workout.html

http://espn.go.com/b...ut-new-position

Polian:

Freeney:

Polian:

Freeney:

Thanks, Supe..

this is good stuff

I'm glad to hear him discuss it...He still sounds little unsure..

But if he can sack Jay Cutler a couple of times on oening day....he'll feel a lot better

DVR...anytime is game time..although I hate when I DVR one game to watch the other later only to see the stinking score flashed on the screen..NFL needs to stop doing that LOL

i am active duty military so i have been stuck out here in ca for the past four years, and they only show raider and 49er games. and i don't want to fill my dvr with that garbage. but i am getting stationed in the portugal so i don't think they will have direct tv out there. i am boned either way.

it was fun to watch guys who knew they had freeney try to block him and fail. Hed change up each time, swim move, bull rush, spin move etc..

imagine not knowing you have to block freeney until hes in your face

should be even more fun to watch.

One thing I think about though...well, several...

Free's workouts for the past however many years have been tailored to using his body to come off the edge, blast through or around a T, TE, RB. And all of that will continue to serve him well. But IMO if you've ever watched him (we all have)...he is tight...sure he is fast. But he is not as fluid as a lot of 3/4 LBs are. So, that for me is a concern. No doubt William Hicks has changed up his workout routine to target different muscle groups now...but after 10+ years of working your body one way on & off the field...I wonder how fast or slow that physical transition will progress.

http://stacktv.stack...on-Workout.html

True, but I think they will have him blitz on almost every play. I don't think Pagano/Mularkey will have him drop into coverage very often. And that works to Freeney's advantage because now he:

1) doesn't have to go through the process of getting out of his 3 point stance and into a running stance to beat the tackle and chase the QB

2) he can move around so now the offense can't focus on him, they can't double team him, they won't know where he is coming from, and he won't have to face the best OL on the offense.

I for one think freeney isn't excited and doesn't wanna learn a new position.

But it’s going to be interesting and fun for me.

This is going to probably benefit me maybe a little bit because I’m not in a blackboard position...

Which will give me some opportunities to make some big plays...

No sense taking him at his word.

True, but I think they will have him blitz on almost every play. I don't think Pagano/Mularkey will have him drop into coverage very often. And that works to Freeney's advantage because now he: 1) doesn't have to go through the process of getting out of his 3 point stance and into a running stance to beat the tackle and chase the QB 2) he can move around so now the offense can't focus on him, they can't double team him, they won't know where he is coming from, and he won't have to face the best OL on the offense.

Yeah, I reckon you're right. It sounds very exciting.

I for one think freeney isn't excited and doesn't wanna learn a new position.

Really? I am not sure what you have been hearing.

Polian: “I can’t get used to hearing ‘Colts outside linebacker Dwight Freeney.’ Tell me what the new defense is going to ask you to do, how you think you are going to be deployed and how you are viewing it and what you are looking forward to.”

Freeney: “Yeah, it’s definitely something that I’m not used to hearing. But it’s going to be interesting and fun for me,

Mathis' twitter account comes across as he and Dwight are fired up about this new defense. :facepalm:

i am active duty military so i have been stuck out here in ca for the past four years, and they only show raider and 49er games. and i don't want to fill my dvr with that garbage. but i am getting stationed in the portugal so i don't think they will have direct tv out there. i am boned either way.

Thank you for serving!:thanks: ... not sure if it will work for you but, you could try the NFL game rewind package, watch on your smart phone, ipad, computer??? directv pkg also offers live streaming if you have the package, which is what I use as I am a misplaced fan.... hopefully you can come home and watch some games!