Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

…And We’re on to Green Bay!

Archer

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The hate for Gus is over the top.  His defense is on the field for 40 minutes against one of the best teams in the league and holds them to 29 points and Stroud to 240 yards.  That’s a solid effort in my book.  The offense let us down.  You can practically credit one TD to special teams on the locked punt.  

Sure they held him to 240 yards we still gave up 400 yards and 200 yards on the ground 

2 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Sure they held him to 240 yards we still gave up 400 yards and 200 yards on the ground 

That can be fixed.  I attribute that to a new DL coach getting to know how to put a good rotation together.  Knowing his players and so on.  He probably made some other changes we aren’t aware of.  

7 hours ago, Archer said:

It’s getting pretty unbearable around here, with people calling for Ballard and Bradley’s heads over a two-point loss to a top SB contender.  In reality, I thought AR played a fantastic game.  Not perfect, but an excellent game.  And that’s the most important thing for our short-term and long-term success - we seem to have a QB.

I had this game as a probable win for us, and the GB game as a probable loss.  It seems that we caught a major break in the injury front in GB.  Looks like Malik Willis at QB.  The opening line looks like it’ll be Colts by 2.5.  Pull off the win and we’ll get the 1-1 start I expected.  What do y’all think?  Would you be happy with a 1-1 start against these two teams if AR stays healthy and looks like a franchise QB?  Or is it too little, too late for Ballard/Bradley/Steichen?

mostly 3 with some 3 1/2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

A big part of the reason the defense was on the field for 40 minutes is because they couldn't get off the field on 3rd or 4th down, and they couldn't stop the run. 

I'm not that worried about the run defense. That's probably an outlier. This defense has traditionally held up well against the run, so I expect them to tighten that up. It's worth keeping an eye on, though, with a new DL coach coming from the college game. 

But the 3rd down efficiency is a big problem, especially against good QBs. 

The run defense has been a foundation of this team. So it's very likely that was a Week 1 outlier, due to the focus on the passing game. But the core of that run defense does include some stalwarts who are getting older (DeFo, Grover, Zaire and Speed). Something to keep an eye on for sure. Players age and get less effective, motor runs lower, endurance lessens.

Not to mention injuries. Really hope that DeFo isn't dealing with some big injury and we just haven't heard it yet. That would be a huge blow to the defense.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

A big part of the reason the defense was on the field for 40 minutes is because they couldn't get off the field on 3rd or 4th down, and they couldn't stop the run. 

I'm not that worried about the run defense. That's probably an outlier. This defense has traditionally held up well against the run, so I expect them to tighten that up. It's worth keeping an eye on, though, with a new DL coach coming from the college game. 

But the 3rd down efficiency is a big problem, especially against good QBs. 

Like one GM said. 3rd down efficiency on offense and defense tells how much success you will have as a team. Most stats are meaningless, but that is a big indicator of success and/or failure.

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

The run defense has been a foundation of this team. So it's very likely that was a Week 1 outlier, due to the focus on the passing game. But the core of that run defense does include some stalwarts who are getting older (DeFo, Grover, Zaire and Speed). Something to keep an eye on for sure. Players age and get less effective, motor runs lower, endurance lessens.

Not to mention injuries. Really hope that DeFo isn't dealing with some big injury and we just haven't heard it yet. That would be a huge blow to the defense.

I thought DeFo was good all game. It was Raekwon Davis, Taven Bryan, and Adebawore who looked helpless at DT. Adebawore is a second year guy who didn't play much last season; Davis missed all of preseason (but it's not good that he had such a rough game); Bryan is one of the worst players on the team, IMO. 

Also, some credit to the Texans. They blocked well (I thought they got away with some holding). They ran several variations of the toss crack and toss counter, with good success. They had our front scrambling, and then they hit us with the reverses, etc. It was a good scheme. Bobby Slowik is going to make a lot of money next offseason, one way or the other. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Like one GM said. 3rd down efficiency on offense and defense tells how much success you will have as a team. Most stats are meaningless, but that is a big indicator of success and/or failure.

"Like one GM said"   That is an absolute in every level of football.   It's the most obvious thing anyone who watches the sport knows.   

• Thanks 1

The defense couldn't off the field when Dungy was coach either, thus only 1 super bowl win with the greatest qb to ever play the game. It's not just a "Ballard-Bradley thing". This is the same defense I've watched since Bert Jones was the qb. Our three playoff games with Bert Jones at qb we gave up 28, 42, and 37 points so all I can say is s.o.s.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

I thought DeFo was good all game. It was Raekwon Davis, Taven Bryan, and Adebawore who looked helpless at DT. Adebawore is a second year guy who didn't play much last season; Davis missed all of preseason (but it's not good that he had such a rough game); Bryan is one of the worst players on the team, IMO. 

Also, some credit to the Texans. They blocked well (I thought they got away with some holding). They ran several variations of the toss crack and toss counter, with good success. They had our front scrambling, and then they hit us with the reverses, etc. It was a good scheme. Bobby Slowik is going to make a lot of money next offseason, one way or the other. 

Yeah, if DeFo misses time, it will be a huge blow. Likely hurts the interior run game and takes away the interior pass rush. With an inexperienced Willis next week, do not want to see the middle of the field open so he can take off on runs and convert.

12 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah, if DeFo misses time, it will be a huge blow. Likely hurts the interior run game and takes away the interior pass rush. With an inexperienced Willis next week, do not want to see the middle of the field open so he can take off on runs and convert.

Shane doesn’t think he will miss Sunday. He said he was taking treatment and was better.

- Run defense was horrible, but I think the pass defense (specifically coverage) was not much better and only got saved from more exposure because the run defense was so clearly porous.  I saw a lot of the same issues that were present last year in that the inability to cover or make those throwing windows on zone coverages difficult/narrow led to too many easy conversions especially in situations where the pass rush forced Stroud to pull the ball down and reset his release point and the pocket.  Off hand, there was a 3rd and 17, 3rd and 11, the two fourth downs we allowed them to convert all of which led to points on those drives.   If the Packers have 3rd and more than 5 yards (and I am sure there will be a few of those situations at least), they need to be kept a 25-30% conversion rate on those tops even if Love ends up playing.   If that means blitzing, stunting more or playing more man press coverage, Bradley has to willing to do things to screw up timing.  

-   There has been enough of a sample size over the past few years that I think the run defense yesterday will likely be an outlier.  If we are not facing Love next week, I think the defense should (and will) look a lot better.  

- Assuming Love is out, the only thing that potentially loses the game for us next week IMO is turnovers and aggressive coaching tactical errors.  Its going to be interesting to see if the gameplan is a lot more run heavy, conservative in order for the Packers to prove they can move the ball without a short field, etc. On the other hand, priority #1 for this year is getting AR reps and development as a drop back, read the field type passer to maximize his physical gifts down the line.   So this is going to be a test of those seemingly clashing ideals of maximizing AR development versus drafting a game plan that gives a best chance of securing a win.   Also, Steichen is going have to dial down the aggressiveness on his propensity for going for it on 4th down.  For example, if faced with another situation similar to opening drive yesterday, punt the ball, pin them deep.   

6 hours ago, Superman said:

There’s a reason both Bryan and Davis were unsigned, IMO. Davis seems like the Laron Landry version at the DT position, doesn’t carry his weight well. :) 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, SR711 said:

- Run defense was horrible, but I think the pass defense (specifically coverage) was not much better and only got saved from more exposure because the run defense was so clearly porous.  I saw a lot of the same issues that were present last year in that the inability to cover or make those throwing windows on zone coverages difficult/narrow led to too many easy conversions especially in situations where the pass rush forced Stroud to pull the ball down and reset his release point and the pocket.  Off hand, there was a 3rd and 17, 3rd and 11, the two fourth downs we allowed them to convert all of which led to points on those drives.   If the Packers have 3rd and more than 5 yards (and I am sure there will be a few of those situations at least), they need to be kept a 25-30% conversion rate on those tops even if Love ends up playing.   If that means blitzing, stunting more or playing more man press coverage, Bradley has to willing to do things to screw up timing.  

-   There has been enough of a sample size over the past few years that I think the run defense yesterday will likely be an outlier.  If we are not facing Love next week, I think the defense should (and will) look a lot better.  

- Assuming Love is out, the only thing that potentially loses the game for us next week IMO is turnovers and aggressive coaching tactical errors.  Its going to be interesting to see if the gameplan is a lot more run heavy, conservative in order for the Packers to prove they can move the ball without a short field, etc. On the other hand, priority #1 for this year is getting AR reps and development as a drop back, read the field type passer to maximize his physical gifts down the line.   So this is going to be a test of those seemingly clashing ideals of maximizing AR development versus drafting a game plan that gives a best chance of securing a win.   Also, Steichen is going have to dial down the aggressiveness on his propensity for going for it on 4th down.  For example, if faced with another situation similar to opening drive yesterday, punt the ball, pin them deep.   

Unless Willis threatens the scoreboard like Stroud, I expect less pressure on Steichen to get too aggressive. 

I expect a bounce back game for the D mainly giving us enough favorable field position to come out with a win. 

LaFleur is an excellent play caller and he’s going to keep it low risk for Willis. But it doesn’t mean we can’t get some good looks to exploit. They have spent a lot on their D, so can’t turn the ball over to make it easy for Willis.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Archer said:

It’s getting pretty unbearable around here, with people calling for Ballard and Bradley’s heads over a two-point loss to a top SB contender.  In reality, I thought AR played a fantastic game.  Not perfect, but an excellent game.  And that’s the most important thing for our short-term and long-term success - we seem to have a QB.

I had this game as a probable win for us, and the GB game as a probable loss.  It seems that we caught a major break in the injury front in GB.  Looks like Malik Willis at QB.  The opening line looks like it’ll be Colts by 2.5.  Pull off the win and we’ll get the 1-1 start I expected.  What do y’all think?  Would you be happy with a 1-1 start against these two teams if AR stays healthy and looks like a franchise QB?  Or is it too little, too late for Ballard/Bradley/Steichen?

In Green Bay next week, Colts win!

7 hours ago, Two_pound said:

The defense couldn't off the field when Dungy was coach either, thus only 1 super bowl win with the greatest qb to ever play the game. It's not just a "Ballard-Bradley thing". This is the same defense I've watched since Bert Jones was the qb. Our three playoff games with Bert Jones at qb we gave up 28, 42, and 37 points so all I can say is s.o.s.

Mmmm, memories of the great Bert Jones!  Thank you. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4daUColts said:

You cant have db playing 20ft off the recievers in zone and expect anything. At least make an effort and try. Otherwise they may as well sit out there and do this....Ncaa Basketball GIF by Fighting Illini Athletics

I know im quoting my own post... but that and getting jt out in some space so he can make a play. Run to the left or right side, evety play he was to run straight to no avail. Get him some space to make a play. Thats what hes best at.

If Malik Willis ends up starting, we better not allow more than 10 points to the Packers. Even Jeff Saturday could win this game as the HC. We pretty much get a mulligan for week 1. No faith in this team right now, but we probably have the easiest matchup of week 2 on Sunday.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

If Malik Willis ends up starting, we better not allow more than 10 points to the Packers. Even Jeff Saturday could win this game as the HC. We pretty much get a mulligan for week 1. No faith in this team right now, but we probably have the easiest matchup of week 2 on Sunday.

:facepalm:

How'd your Broncos do?

On 9/9/2024 at 7:36 AM, JediXMan said:

The defense needs to tighten up especially the run D. Josh Jacobs is a talented back and I can see Packers copying the Texans game plan. We need the TEs to contribute more and JT needs to have a better game. This is a very winnable game.

How much respect do we have to pay to the Packer passing game with Malik Willis at QB? Hou was a problem bc you can't sell too hard in any one way bc they can beat you both ways. My feeling is Willis doesn't pose the same threat other than running around at times. Jacobs is a good back though.

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

How much respect do we have to pay to the Packer passing game with Malik Willis at QB? Hou was a problem bc you can't sell too hard in any one way bc they can beat you both ways. My feeling is Willis doesn't pose the same threat other than running around at times. Jacobs is a good back though.

Willis accuracy and awareness is really bad so they should be multiple opportunities to get picks/fumbles this game. 

This is a trap game to me.  Packers still have a good defense and Josh Jacob’s might wake up against us if our run game stay the course.

also, packers have a formidable receiving core and we know how our defense can make anyone like look perennial pro bowlers.  

im expecting a low scoring game with defense playing the emphasis.  But usually, the team with the better qb wins and I think we definitely have the better qb.  Colts win 24-15.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts have a very bad history of making backup QBs look like Hall of Famers.  Hopefully they buck that trend in this game.

Or... Bradley and His Old coaches have a Colts history of that.

Steichen is ultimately responsible and he has to go all Bill Parcells chewing on Bellichek to fix this stuff right now. 

Nothing is more devastating than getting ran over.

2 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

You are such a stalker. You must really have a crush on me. The Broncos lost just like the Colts.

I just have to comment, because it has still stuck with me days later... 

That one Bo Nix interception, where literally as soon as the ball left his hands the announcer goes: "Oh No..." 

I don't know why but it's still hilarious to me. 

Broncos defense is still very good. They made Geno Smith look like NY Jets Geno for at least the first half. And how often does a team get 2 safeties, and yet still lose? 

Football is weird... 

On 9/9/2024 at 8:23 AM, Archer said:

No kidding. Too many over top arm chair GM want a bees...

Offense was okay, they will only improve.  

Defense line was gashed by the run game. that needs to improve first.  

Overall it looks like a promising season.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Bert Jones, who was he?