Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Texans post game reaction

GoColts8818

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our Run Defense was good last year with Stew. We lost because they controlled the game by running. Also, we still give up too many 3rd longs. We scored 27 points, this isn't AR's fault at all. I thought AR played good for the most part and made some huge plays to keep us in it.

Gus Bradley just doesn't cut it IMO. Against very good or great QB's, his defense isn't going to work. We can beat average QB's, even some good one's but Stroud will pick you apart with the D we play. So will guys like Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lamar, Rodgers, Tua, Dak, etc..

To follow this up, this wasn't Shane's best day either. Taylor needs more touches. His 1st half play calling reminded me of Frankie lol.

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Answer is simple...

Unlike most other GMs, Ballard wants to run a specific defensive scheme and he thinks Bradley is the best the league has available and not already employed by another team to run this defensive scheme... That's why Steichen didn't get to choose his choice of DC unlike almost all other NFL Head Coaches. 

And, fans are left to console themselves saying, "oh, if Steichen was not on board with Gus, he would've objected".... :violin:

Well, this is the scheme Ballard wants, and Bradley is the DC he got!

You're right I know. But I have the hope deep in my heart, that people can change. Even a GM 😅 😅 😅 

• Like 1

Losing by 2 points to probably the number 4 team in the AFC (KC,BAL,CIN, and maybe MIA) week one doesn’t seem like a huge reason to freak out. Especially on a year where the main goal is improvement and a real chance to compete next year.

Anthony looked better than I expected for his 5th start. We haven’t had big passing plays in our offense since Wentz and consistently since Luck. 

The defense obviously left a lot to be desired, imo the ends were the biggest problem allowing outside runs and not turning everything back in.

I think if the team progresses like it should they’ll be a wildcard team. The O-Line needs to get it figured out and things will go up from there.

• Thanks 1

I really enjoyed the game today, a few thoughts.

- Cross played better than I thought, maybe he is ready to break out.

- We really missed Josh Downs.

- Defensive front didn't play aswell as to be expected, considering the capital we have allocated to that group, but I believe they will develop nicely as the year goes along.

- Defensive secondary as a whole, Yikes, we really need to button that up, and I believe we would be much better if we played more to our DB's strengths vs their weaknesses

( such as more aggressive man to man and press ).

- AR I thought played a marvelous game, a few missed opportunities here and there but man, what an exciting game, this team will be a force with more playing time, the future is bright my friends.

• Like 1

Just now, Colts.sb41 said:

Losing by 2 points to probably the number 4 team in the AFC (KC,BAL,CIN, and maybe MIA) week one doesn’t seem like a huge reason to freak out. Especially on a year where the main goal is improvement and a real chance to compete next year.

Anthony looked better than I expected for his 5th start. We haven’t had big passing plays in our offense since Wentz and consistently since Luck. 

The defense obviously left a lot to be desired, imo the ends were the biggest problem allowing outside runs and not turning everything back in.

I think if the team progresses like it should they’ll be a wildcard team. The O-Line needs to get it figured out and things will go up from there.

AR was good enough; our D was the problem. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I feel like you should re-read your posts because once again you are proving my point haha the DTs did clog the holes and got a couple tackles for loss, it's just if the RB made it past them the safeties had to make the play because our LBs were non-existent in the run game. Linebacker is supposed to meet them in the hole that wasn't happening and when they did they didn't wrap up and Mixon was breaking their tackles. It's the same problem as last year when you could watch speed and Franklin go for big hits and bounce off the RB. 

No they didn’t.  That’s why the Texans were blocking the linebackers out of the play.  The DTs weren’t sucking up the blocks like they are supposed too.  The linebackers couldn’t meet them in the hole because they were being blocked out of the player by guys the DTs normally eat up so linebackers can meet them in the hole.  When your dline lets blockers get to the second level your linebackers can’t fly around make plays like they are supposed too.  That’s why I am saying the issues started up front.  

the stats also prove this.  You said the DTs had 10 tackles.  A couple of those were sacks.  So that’s 8.  The Texans ran the ball 40 times.  That means the DTs had a tackle on less than one out of every 4 plays the Texans ran the ball.  Since the Texans ran the ball up the gut if the DTs were doing their job those numbers should be a lot higher.  

Also their main run stuffer Grover had 2 tackles and Texans ran right at that spot on the line all day.  Simply put the DTs didn’t get the job done today and when they don’t it’s very hard for the linebackers to get the job done.  

• Like 1

— It was entertaining to watch! 

— Giving up first downs on 3rd and 14 and 3rd and 11 (I think on consecutive series) was demoralizing. 

— AR is worth the price of a ticket and a few beers, but a good NFL rolls out of bed and hits Mitchell for two TDs on those two throws. I hope AR gets there because he is electric at times.

— When everyone knew Mixon was running and we still couldn’t stop it — concerning. 

—The reverse on our 2-point try was an interesting call. 

—Our DB playing 3 yards back in the end zone on the 4th-and-2 TD catch by Diggs was not great. The infamous Colts Cushion. 

—I will watch next week! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because the DTs were letting the blockers get to the second level.  If you let that happen there isn’t much your linebackers can do.  The problem started up front.  When they were a non factor that means the blockers get to your second level and now the linebackers have to suck up those blockers and your secondary cleans up the running back which is what we saw all day.  Pretty much the Colts run defense was level behind how it’s supposed to operate and it’s because the DTs gave them nothing.  

Yep, Ray Lewis got the wrong end of the OL till Haloti Ngata came around, that’s how run D works. The big uglies force a stalemate so that RBs can’t run in designated gaps allowing LBs time to shed blocks and close lanes. Granted, even the few times it did happen, our LBs couldn’t shed blocks from their blocking TEs, which was the sad part 

Just now, chad72 said:

Yep, Ray Lewis got the wrong end of the OL till Haloti Ngata came around, that’s how run D works. The big uglies force a stalemate so that RBs can’t run in designated gaps allowing LBs time to shed blocks and close lanes. Granted, even the few times it did happen, our LBs couldn’t shed blocks from their blocking TEs, which was the sad part 

Yeah I am not saying Speed and Franklin played great.  I fully agree they didn’t.  I am just saying the run defense issues weren’t all their fault either and frankly started a level before them which probably played a factor in them not having great days.  Not the only one certainly.  

I have said for years the colts lb’s are very average. They have had ONE difference making lb since they have been in Indy. They get a lot of tackles 5+ yards down field, that won’t cut it! The line played well and the secondary played ok against very good receivers and more important, one of the top qb’s. Richardson didn’t make great throws, the big pass plays were to open receivers and he 2 wide open td’s. I was one of the few, maybe only, person here that liked pierce. How many forum gm’s wanted him cut? Where was Pittman? He is a good receiver but not worth the money he got and was probably the only one saying that. I also said the colts shouldn’t have given Taylor that big contract, I would have resigned moss. Taylor hasn’t looked the same since the injury/ holdout. I don’t think the o-line played that bad. 

would the colts have won if Flacco were the qb? I think they would have. It will be an interesting season!!

27 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This won’t be popular with some but I think the run defense is why the Colts lost not the secondary.  Not saying the secondary was great but Mixon was averaging almost 7 yards a carry at one point and that’s why the Texans had 40 to 20 TOP advantage.  It’s hard to win in the NFL when you give up that no matter what the rest of your team does.  Double troubling is run defense was supposed to be a strength of this team.

I think the Texans coaching staff was wise to keep pounding the ball as we could not stop the run. 
old adage If you can’t stop me I will continue until you do and unfortunately we couldn’t 

we seemed to run the same run play with limited success and really didn’t seem like we adjusted our run game plan 

• Like 1

It’s not just a talent problem, but Bradley HAS to go. Playing Cross 8 yards deep off of Diggs in the red-zone?

Also 3rd and 11 with a chance to force a punt and get the ball back, why are you not doubling Collins?

Run defense was awful as well, which is surprising. 

The issues with the secondary are multi-faceted, but it starts with Bradley. He can not defend anything on 3rd and long. Same as last year.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I am not saying Speed and Franklin played great.  I fully agree they didn’t.  I am just saying the run defense issues weren’t all their fault either and frankly started a level before them which probably played a factor in them not having great days.  Not the only one certainly.  

Honestly, it looked like the D line was just worried about getting pressure on Stroud today. I want to see some of the all 22 film, but it sure looked like those front 4 had eyes for Stroud today and not really anyone else. 

But when you treat blitzing like it causes incurable illness of the privates the way Bradley does, those guys have to worry more about getting to the QB more than they probably should. 

AR is electric but as advertised his accuracy is wildly inconsistent. Lost yet another opener under Ballard. Likely on our way to a mid record and fringe wildcard possibilities just like the past 8 years under Ballard. Nothing will change till we get a new GM. I havent posted in a year and will post again when we have a GM change. Heres to an exciting season, everyone have fun. Go Colts.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Steichen did the offense no good either by not giving Richardson easy passes.

I agree with you. He did nothing to help AR get in a rhythm. Too many long developing plays. For a team that was “ready to go” , they didn’t show it. 

oh well, I guess you get what you pay for. 

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

At least we are not the panthers. Did anyone see young today. Lol

But Frank's not there, so I'm sure he lit it up?   

BTW, since he didn't really do better than Stetson Bennett in College, I wonder if he'll do better than SB in the pros.

1 minute ago, SurfinKal said:

I agree with you. He did nothing to help AR get in a rhythm. Too many long developing plays. For a team that was “ready to go” , they didn’t show it. 

oh well, I guess you get what you pay for. 

AR is a horrible short - intermediate passer. Horrible.

The only chance he has to make a play is a deep pass. It’s an easy read. It’s usually 1-on-1 and with Pierce, AR knows he’s going to high point the ball and come down with it.

You’ll see throughout this season AR will take MANY deep shots (like today) because Steichen knows you can’t stay consistent with a sub 50% completion rate. So he’ll let AR play to his strength — massive arm strength and deep throws.

• Thanks 2

With all the cap room we had/have we should’ve brought in some free agents to try and improve this team. Instead stubborn Ballard just signed his own and this is what we have. Couldn’t stop the run to save our lives and the secondary look like Swiss cheese. Richardson can run the ball and he can throw a great deep pass. Other than that he is inaccurate. Hopefully he can improve on that as we go on this what I’m sure will be a roller coaster of a season. I’d also like to see the tight ends more involved in the passing game. Granson has not been too impressive. Perhaps another guy should get a shot. Anyway I try not to get too worked up although today I failed a couple times. Watching Stroud get a first down on 3rd and 17 made me lose it. I hate Gus Bradley as our D coordinator. Oh well. On to next week. Go colts!

• Like 1

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

With all the cap room we had/have we should’ve brought in some free agents to try and improve this team. Instead stubborn Ballard just signed his own and this is what we have. Couldn’t stop the run to save our lives and the secondary look like Swiss cheese. Richardson can run the ball and he can throw a great deep pass. Other than that he is inaccurate. Hopefully he can improve on that as we go on this what I’m sure will be a roller coaster of a season. I’d also like to see the tight ends more involved in the passing game. Granson has not been too impressive. Perhaps another guy should get a shot. Anyway I try not to get too worked up although today I failed a couple times. Watching Stroud get a first down on 3rd and 17 made me lose it. I hate Gus Bradley as our D coordinator. Oh well. On to next week. Go colts!

Nothing wrong with bringing these guys back. But you have to add to it.

Buckner hurt his back again? Maybe that’s why the run defense was so bad. He was limited.