Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts attempted to trade up to 6

CR91

• CR91 changed the title to Colts attempted to trade up to 6

I have a feeling it was for Odunze. Nonetheless I think things fell exactly how the Colts needed it to in hindsight. We got presumably the best DE in the class with Latu (even better now that Ebukam is unavailable for the season) and got AD. Just IMO 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wondered if Ballard was exaggerating in his presser after the draft, when he said they were talking about a big move up. I mean, he’s usually pretty genuine, but I just was wondering if they offered a future 3rd to move up a couple spots for Bowers, and to him that was a big offer… 

Trying to get up to #6, with what they would have given up, that’s truly a big offer. It’s interesting to see that confirmed. It also shows that sometimes there’s no deal to be made, not without being way over the top. The Giants tried to move up to #3, they called about #4, the moves just weren’t there for them. It was probably the same for the Colts trying to move up, and when Ballard said after the draft ‘nobody was moving,’ it was pretty much true.

I don’t think it would have been a move to #6 for Bowers, by the way. It had to be either Nabers or Odunze, right? 

Was probably  for nabers, ad could be just as good down the line

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Superman said:

I wondered if Ballard was exaggerating in his presser after the draft, when he said they were talking about a big move up. I mean, he’s usually pretty genuine, but I just was wondering if they offered a future 3rd to move up a couple spots for Bowers, and to him that was a big offer… 

Trying to get up to #6, with what they would have given up, that’s truly a big offer. It’s interesting to see that confirmed. It also shows that sometimes there’s no deal to be made, not without being way over the top. The Giants tried to move up to #3, they called about #4, the moves just weren’t there for them. It was probably the same for the Colts trying to move up, and when Ballard said after the draft ‘nobody was moving,’ it was pretty much true.

I don’t think it would have been a move to #6 for Bowers, by the way. It had to be either Nabers or Odunze, right? 

I figured it was top5. I think deep down, they really wanted MHJr. There’s been another post a month or two back that had them in talks for as high as 3 pre-draft night. Either way, shows me that Ballard is more than willing to make the moves now that we seem to have how young QB. Next years draft oughta be unpredictable for the colts barring major injury

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Nabers went ahead of Odunze because his tape is incredible.

Our draft had fairy dust falling on it. Looking back in 3 years it can look epic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IIRC it was reported the Colts (and another team, forgot which) were calling non-stop to move up. It only stopped when Bowers was taken. I think the Colts felt pretty strongly about Nabers, Odunze AND Bowers and were willing to move up for any of them.

That said, we got AD Mitchell AND Latu by staying put. I think the Colts got the best realistic result.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm pretty certain it was Nabers. I also think there's a good chance he still tried to get Odunze after. Then again, I think that because I thought that all along but most everyone disagreed. It was a variance in behavior but this year was the perfect setup for it. 3 stud WRs and a pick close enough to fighting distance that you had a shot

8 hours ago, Superman said:

I think it was Nebers too. I've been waiting for Arizona's draft show to show us what kind of conversations they were having and whether the Colts called them, but it doesn't look like they are releasing a show with as much detail as last year. 

That offer to the Giants seems very reasonable. I guess they were looking for more than reasonable if they were going to move back to 15. Either way... I'm happy with the end result. Nabers or Latu + AD + Gould + 2025 second ... looks pretty good. 

• Like 2

Hear me out, and understand that I’m as big of a Chris Ballard fan as probably anyone on here… 

I think they made serious offers to move up, in this case with Nabers in mind, and at other points with Odunze and Bowers in mind. But I don’t think they were serious enough offers to get the deal done. He knew how far back people were going to have to drop and largely unwilling to do so unless it was very favorable on the other end. I’m not sure giving next years 1st instead of 2nd gets the job done to move the giants back to 15 this year. I think it’s possible Ballard put a decent offer on the table knowing it was going to be documented on hard knocks and would get those saying he doesn’t try to make moves off his back a little. 

If you watch the hard knocks episode I think either the first or second one when they have nabers, harrison, and I think it was odunze all in the same film room. when the three players left the coach is asked who he'd take, he said nabers. 

42 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Hear me out, and understand that I’m as big of a Chris Ballard fan as probably anyone on here… 

I think they made serious offers to move up, in this case with Nabers in mind, and at other points with Odunze and Bowers in mind. But I don’t think they were serious enough offers to get the deal done. He knew how far back people were going to have to drop and largely unwilling to do so unless it was very favorable on the other end. I’m not sure giving next years 1st instead of 2nd gets the job done to move the giants back to 15 this year. I think it’s possible Ballard put a decent offer on the table knowing it was going to be documented on hard knocks and would get those saying he doesn’t try to make moves off his back a little. 

You do realize that they literally utilize a draft pick calculator to suggest certain offers? These picks are weighted, they’re asking to move up 9 spots which really wouldn’t have warranted another 1st in the 2025 draft, 15, 46 and another 2025 2nd round pick was a damn good deal to move up 9 spots, that legitimately was a “Serious” offer. It takes two sides to tango. 

Many here advocated for trading up to secure a difference maker on offense.  Nice to see that Ballard was thinking the same, and the amount offered was certainly a big swing.   

But I like Mitchell's profile, and Latu seems to add something, so the draft fell right anyway.  Go Colts.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW the GIants let their color coding of players in the draft leak in that episode of Hard knocks:

GTyUvqxWsAAfPTO?format=jpg&name=large

I paused it trying to figure out the color coding. Goncalves is in grey, that makes sense.

45 minutes ago, stitches said:

Either way... I'm happy with the end result. Nabers or Latu + AD + Gould + 2025 second ... looks pretty good. 

This is a good way to compare it. As much as I really wanted Nabers, WR is becoming like RB where a 3rd round rookie can come in and contribute right away. Even though we're seeing a lot of WRs go in the 1st round and guys getting these massive contracts, I think we'll see a market correction eventually when the market is saturated with guys who come out of college already developed.

Securing Nabers would have been incredibly satisfying and an awesome addition to this offense. However, with the injury to Ebukam, I’m more than happy the trade didn’t happen. Latu and AD were the better move. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What’s the old saying that works for all sports…..

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don’t make.   And, as Ballard likes to remind:  sometimes you also have to have a little luck. 

I’m very, very happy with how the 2024 draft worked out….  Top to bottom.  Very happy.  :thmup:

:colts:

Yeah, I would have loved having Nabers, but I'm very happy with how the first two days of the draft went for the Colts. I felt like AD Mitchell was the 5th best WR in the class, and we got him in the 50s. Not a bad consolation prize at all.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What’s the old saying that works for all sports…..

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don’t make.   And, as Ballard likes to remind:  sometimes you also have to have a little luck. 

I’m very, very happy with how the 2024 draft worked out….  Top to bottom.  Very happy.  :thmup:

:colts:

I am too, not saying this to be a Homer but I love our roster right now and I think it is a playoff roster. Flacco is still even good as a backup QB. The secondary is worrisome but outside of that we don't have many weaknesses. I think AR is going to have a solid year. Our WR room is the best it's been in a long time. Taylor is healthy too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stephen said:

Was probably  for nabers, ad could be just as good down the line

yeah, kinda happy that it played out the way it did.  We grabbed 2 needs without giving up anything.  Not only that, both needs could develop into all-pro talent.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, smittywerb said:

yeah, kinda happy that it played out the way it did.  We grabbed 2 needs without giving up anything.  Not only that, both needs could develop into all-pro talent.  

Me too, so far it looks like staying put, may work out better. Latu falling to 15 was huge and Mitchell is a beast. I am puzzled to why he fell so far. I thought Mitchell would go in round 1.

• Like 4

Lucky we stayed at 15th and got the best defensive end in the draft. He reminds of me of Dwight Freeney. Give a few years to put some weight.  Is it just bad luck? We sign Raekwon Davis from the Dolphins in the offseason and when it is time to show up for work the guy calls in sick/hurt. Maybe he wants to play without any Training camp. Sounds like a loser and a bad investment by Ballard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

You do realize that they literally utilize a draft pick calculator to suggest certain offers? These picks are weighted, they’re asking to move up 9 spots which really wouldn’t have warranted another 1st in the 2025 draft, 15, 46 and another 2025 2nd round pick was a damn good deal to move up 9 spots, that legitimately was a “Serious” offer. It takes two sides to tango. 

I am aware. If it didn’t warrant anything more then why wasn’t it accepted? It was a serious offer… and wasn’t good enough. Based on Ballard’s comments on it, which reflects your “takes two to tango,” he knew it was a long shot… and he drew the line at what they offered. The fact they didn’t counter or anything of the like speaks on either a) their understanding of the offer being the best the Colts were going to give or b) their total unwillingness to move back to 15, which it seems like off the video that was the case… which is my entire point. An unwarranted offer of next years 1st probably still doesn’t get the deal done. 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I am aware. If it didn’t warrant anything more then why wasn’t it accepted? It was a serious offer… and wasn’t good enough. Based on Ballard’s comments on it, which reflects your “takes two to tango,” he knew it was a long shot… and he drew the line at what they offered. The fact they didn’t counter or anything of the like speaks on either a) their understanding of the offer being the best the Colts were going to give or b) their total unwillingness to move back to 15, which it seems like off the video that was the case… which is my entire point. An unwarranted offer of next years 1st probably still doesn’t get the deal done. 

If you watch the previous episode, they had zeroed in on Nabers or Odunze, and felt confident that one or both of them would be there at #6. It makes sense that they were not interested in going back to #15, which is what Schoen said when he hung up. "That's too far. I'm not going back." 

Then the Jets call, apparently offering #10, and before they even get into it, Schoen says "I think we're gonna pick." He affirms that later in the call. 

Between that and how strongly Daboll felt about Nabers, it's pretty obvious they didn't intend to move back. Getting them off of #6 would have required blowing them out of the water with a ridiculous offer. What the Colts offered was already in the Giants favor -- #6 is worth 1600 points, the Colts offer was worth close to 1900 points. Long story short, the Giants weren't moving.

Also, reports said the Colts kept trying to trade up, and the calls stopped once Bowers went at #13. So even though I don't think he was the target at #6, he was probably on their short list of offensive weapons they liked at the top of the first round. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Lucky we stayed at 15th and got the best defensive end in the draft. He reminds of me of Dwight Freeney. Give a few years to put some weight.  Is it just bad luck? We sign Raekwon Davis from the Dolphins in the offseason and when it is time to show up for work the guy calls in sick/hurt. Maybe he wants to play without any Training camp. Sounds like a loser and a bad investment by Ballard.

Am I reading this right?   You want our 265 pound rookie DE to put ON weight?   More?

I’m good right where Laiatu is now. 

EDIT:   Just saw the Davis comments.  Dear God….  :facepalm:

• Thanks 1

Mitchell has a chip on his shoulder and looks like we will bust his * out there. He may be a steal where he was chosen. God knows we need defensive line help as well so this may work out fantastically 

• Like 1

I don't think 6 would be high enough to get MHJ which was Ballards first choice I believe.  I think Irsay asked for him as well.

So most likely for Bowers who was projected to go as high as 5.

4 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Just because he wasn't writing a blank check doesn't mean he wasn't serious

31 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

I don't think 6 would be high enough to get MHJ which was Ballards first choice I believe.  I think Irsay asked for him as well.

So most likely for Bowers who was projected to go as high as 5.

Uh, I'm going to assume that call happened when they were on the clock

12 minutes ago, wig said:

Just because he wasn't writing a blank check doesn't mean he wasn't serious

I mean, I said they were serious offers... 

4 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think they made serious offers to move up

Based on his post draft comments, he knew it was a long shot to find a trading partner being at 15... Just because he was serious to trade up doesn't mean anyone else took him seriously.