Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard: Redfining what Success means in the NFL

Funny.

I would say that a GM's adequacy is directly related to the QB he's blessed or cursed with.  But there are exceptions.  Our previous GM was blessed with one of the best prospects to ever come out of college.  He had success for three years, but he was a mediocre GM at best.  

Then there's John Lynch, who found ways to win without a top draft pick or even a highly paid veteran QB.  They're consistently in contention and one of the best teams in the league.  Double digit win totals all but 2 of his 7 seasons.

My biggest complaint with CB is that he didn't make a real attempt to draft a QB until AR.  All chips are in now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AKB said:

Championing the Art of Mediocrity

In the realm of NFL management where big splashes and bold moves often steal the spotlight, Chris Ballard of the Indianapolis Colts stands as a beacon of mediocrity—oops, I mean, moderation and stability. Ballard has mastered the art of steering clear of both spectacular success and abject failure, opting instead for a comfortable middle ground where his team consistently hovers around average.

While other GMs chase after flashy signings and high-profile trades, Ballard prefers a more subtle approach. His teams are like the middle child of the NFL—neither the star of the family nor the problem child. Take, for instance, his draft picks: solid, dependable players who rarely make headlines but also rarely make Pro Bowls. It's a strategy that ensures the Colts remain perennially in the hunt for the playoffs without ever seriously threatening to win it all.

Critics may scoff at Ballard's reluctance to swing for the fences, pointing to the lack of marquee names on his roster or the absence of Lombardi Trophies in his trophy case. Yet, Ballard remains unfazed, steadfast in his belief that consistently finishing just outside the top tier is a commendable achievement in itself.

In a league where greatness is often measured by Super Bowl rings and MVP titles, Ballard's Colts serve as a refreshing reminder that there's honor in being consistently okay. While other teams chase after glory, Ballard quietly celebrates the virtues of stability and predictability—a strategy that ensures his team remains perpetually good enough to keep fans interested without ever giving them false hope of a championship.

So here's to you, Chris Ballard, our unsung hero of NFL mediocrity. May our Colts continue to embody the spirit of contentment in a league that sometimes seems obsessed with extremes. Your dedication to the middle ground is a testament to the fact that in a world of winners and losers, there's beauty in just being average.

Our Chris Ballard, the enigmatic mastermind behind the Indianapolis Colts' draft selections, continues to astound with his unconventional approach to player evaluation. Known for his ability to turn perceived draft flops into valuable lessons in resilience, Ballard has elevated the art of optimism in the face of adversity.

Take, for instance, his selection of Quincy Wilson, a cornerback whose career trajectory seemed to follow the path less traveled—straight to the sidelines. Wilson's ability to excel in the role of 'spectator extraordinaire' brought a new dimension to the Colts' bench, proving that even inactivity can be a form of contribution.

Then there's TJ Green, whose ability to redefine the term 'safety' by providing the opposing offense with a false sense of security is a testament to Ballard's commitment to strategic innovation. Green's unpredictable presence on the field undoubtedly kept quarterbacks on their toes, in excitement. 

And who could forget Ben Banogu, a defensive end whose knack for demonstrating the art of camouflage by seamlessly blending into the turf has left spectators marveling at his commitment to environmental integration. Banogu's ability to remain inconspicuous during critical moments showcases Ballard's emphasis on adaptability and the importance of being one with your surroundings.

Ballard's genius lies not just in his ability to select players, but in his skillful navigation of the delicate dance between expectation and reality. His selections may not always align with conventional wisdom, but they consistently challenge perceptions and redefine what it means to be a draft bust.

As Ballard continues to forge ahead, his unorthodox approach serves as a beacon of hope for aspiring NFL general managers everywhere, including those perusing fan forums. Because if there's one thing Chris Ballard has taught us, it's that in the unpredictable world of professional football, even the most unexpected outcomes can be reframed as victories in disguise.

AKB

Although I agree that 2017's Quincy Wilson was a bust, and that 2019's Ben Banogu was Ballard's ultimate bust pick, 2016's TJ Wilson was picked by GM Ryan Grigson, not by Ballard.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AKB said:

TJ green? Ah yes, but he got some field time regardless BBB's first year. Remember the ninja headband with the little cutie phalanges hanging off as he tries to drill his head into an already tackled player from 10 yards away 

I remember looking for highlights of TJ after we drafted him.  I kept finding videos of him following OJ Howard into the endzone.  Not sure if Howard was his responsibility, but it didn't paint a promising picture.

• Like 2

Being a Colts fan is rough. Got me a Mahomes jersey recently until we become good again. 

When we rise up again I'll come  storming back to my 40 year Colts fandom with my Peyton jersey on..

Ultimate Warrior Sport GIF by WWE

• Like 1

Hi Colts fans,

Yeah, I know, I know.  I was just as surprised as you were.  No clue why my good friend Jim Irsay would call me up and offer me the head coaching job.  I had to remind him.  Dude, I said, you do know that I've never coached at all at the NFL level.  Not coordinator.  Not even position coach.  Nothing.  It didn't seem to matter.  It was as if all that was required was for me to be good friends with the owner, and -- bazinga! -- I could be a head coach.

It was awkward, you know.  That first coaches meeting.  There was Gus Bradley.  And there was John Fox.  Both of them had been head coaches.  Heck, both of them had coached in a Super Bowl!  Yet here I was, promoted to be their boss, having never coached before.  Ever.

But, you know, Bud Grant did it.  So, why not?  Remember, I have a way of doing things.

Ok, sorry, I couldn't help but giggle.  I have a way of doing... what, exactly?  Things?  Things like coaching?  I have a way of coaching?  And how did I develop that way?  By actually, you know, coaching?

Anyway, I'm glad you have a new head coach.  One who has actually coached before.  And his experience doing that is bearing fruit.  I'm just glad I'm already in the Ring of Honor.  Because after what happened, I doubt that I would ever be accepted in by the fans, regardless of how I was as a player.  Heck, they would have put Andrew Luck in before they would even consider me.

In the meantime, I'm back at ESPN, attempting to "un-burn" bridges.  It can happen.  I heard Bud Grant did that once....

Regards,

Jeff Saturday

• Like 2

Look im not gonna say Ballard haven't had his own issues, but the guy has been put in an impossible position particularly every year.

2017 - He has a lame duck for a head coach when we all knew was gonna get fired and was drafting for his scheme so I'll give him a pass.

2018 - Arguably his best draft getting two All-pros and a stalwart at RT. He gets to sign his choice of a head coach and is left at the alter at the 11th hour which in hindsight was a blessing in disguise. Drafted Tyquan Lewis, Hines, and Franklin who all have or had great years here. Andrew Luck was back and playing like an MVP.

2019 - Horrible draft. No excuses. It was his worst draft as a GM, but he did find a gem in Speed. Luck retiring a week before the season starts would put any GM in a tough spot so once again I'll give him a pass.

2020 - His second best draft getting Pittman, Taylor, and Blackmon. Signed Rivers and traded for Buckner and won 11 games. Unfortunately lost to the Bills in the playoffs.

2021 - I honestly can't tell for certain what happened in terms of QB. Ive heard Rivers was supposed to re-sign, but choice to retire. I've heard he was pushed to retirement as the colts wanted to go in a different direction which was apparently Stafford before the Rams came in last second. I heard Reich pushed hard for Wentz saying he can fix him against the wishes of Ballard. If you ask me, I think Stafford was plan A as Stafford himself said him and his wife were so convinced he was going to Indy that they started looking at homes. When that fell through, imo Reich lobbied for Wentz. Whatever it was, Wentz was the guy and the QB carousal was supposedly stopped at least we thought. A god-like season for Taylor was not enough to save Wentz from ultimately being traded and you can chalk that one on whomever Reich or Ballard depending on what story you want to believe. In terms of the draft, Paye and Dayo have been reliable players on the dline, Granson you can make an argument is our best TE, and Fries came into his own last year.

2022 - Just an overall disaster of a season. Went the bandage route again at QB trading for Matt Ryan and you can say the colts did him no favors in terms of oline protection and JT getting hurt, but that was a failed trade for a miserable season. 2022 draft is still under elevation, but Pierce and Woods did show potential as rookies and Raimann looks to be the LT of the future.

2023 - Ballard finally gets to draft a QB to tether him to and Richardson plays a grand total of 12 quarters. It just seems like Ballard can not catch a break when it comes to QBs, but from I've seen from Richardson, I have very high expectations.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

TJ Green was a a Grigson pick. I know it’s been pointed out but if you’re going to be so arrogantly biased but not remember a player drafted before the GM your bashing them, the substance of your message is incredibly vacated of credibility.

His drafts have consisted of incredibly high upside, toolsy and traitsy prospects. If anything his knock has been that he hasn’t taken safer players with high floors and lower upside.

My take on Banogu is that his demise is from his greed. He was drafted to play, and played in college as a linebacker. His role was to be the same as a Dontae Hightower. Someone mainly utilized for blitzes, and a run stuffer. However he came in and wanted to be a pass rusher because they get paid a heck of a lot more than a line backer on average. They shouldn’t have let him take that on and kept him at line backer and he might still be on a roster. 

As far as block buster moves how can you discredit the Buckner trade? Trading for Carson Wentz? Trading for Matt Ryan? You can’t say he hasn’t taken chances. I blame Frank Reich more than anything still. I mean who the hell has Andrew Luck coming back in his first game after a huge shoulder surgery and throwing 53 times? I think that was the first moment that made me question Reich.

Your Richardson take is so disgusting and troll inducing it makes me think you don’t watch football or have watched any tape. You would think he played like Lamar Jackson where as he always has his eyes down the field when he breaks from the pocket.

Reich was the bigger failure and the reason we kept a revolving door at QB IMHO. A GM has to take the QB his head coach wants and Reich was wrong 4 times with the likes of Rivers (ultimately set us back another year by playing one season and dipping after taking us deep enough in the draft we couldn’t trade up without it costing us a fortune) Wentz, Foles and Ryan. You can’t win without a QB and he impeded us from getting a QB his entire tenure.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But you haven't learned the narrative this forum has been trying to tell you.

Frank Reich pounded his fists for Wentz, Ryan, Pryor, and all of the WRs that busted.

OTOH, Pagano never pounded his fist for TJ Green, or Bjoern Werner, or Trent Richardson, or that little small school cornerback that got canned before the season even started.  

You see, the GM is only responsible for the bad players when it helps support the previous statements that the GM is bad, and the HC is responsible for the bad players when it helps support previous statement's that the GM is a genius.

You should know this by now and be falling in line accordingly.

Yes, yes he did. If you scroll back to old Pagano post you’ll see how much blame he got. I definitely hold Pagano is regards to letting Luck down on the offensive side of the ball. I also see the Houston Texans inevitably going down the same path.

D’joun Smith is who you’re thinking of.

Grigson is looked at as an overall bust and a terrible drafter so naturally the blame will be more widely accepted. There is no doubt things will be heating up under Ballards seat if anything less then winning the division is obtained this year. The QB position has been his Achilles heel. If Richardson is healthy this season I believe his roster will be very heavily evaluated with no excuses this year.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, twfish said:

Yes, yes he did. If you scroll back to old Pagano post you’ll see how much blame he got. I definitely hold Pagano is regards to letting Luck down on the offensive side of the ball. I also see the Houston Texans inevitably going down the same path.

D’joun Smith is who you’re thinking of.

Grigson is looked at as an overall bust and a terrible drafter so naturally the blame will be more widely accepted. There is no doubt things will be heating up under Ballards seat if anything less then winning the division is obtained this year. The QB position has been his Achilles heel. If Richardson is healthy this season I believe his roster will be very heavily evaluated with no excuses this year.

Am I reading this correct?  

You think Ballard’s seat gets hot if the Colts don't win the AFC South?  Really?   So if the Colts don’t win the south but make the playoffs Ballard’s seat still gets hot? 

Just making sure I understand your viewpoint. 

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Am I reading this correct?  

You think Ballard’s seat gets hot if the Colts don't win the AFC South?  Really?   So if the Colts don’t win the south but make the playoffs Ballard’s seat still gets hot? 

Just making sure I understand your viewpoint. 

For me absolutely it does. If Richardson stays healthy excuses will be hard to come up with. As positive as I am with Ballard at some point we have to start winning. He bet on himself by bringing in his own home grown talent this year, what he does at safety in the coming month and a half has me worried as well. We were so close to winning the division last year with a back up QB that my expectation is winning the AFC south this year. 

If they make it into the wild card game and lose then the seat is just as hot for me. If they advance further and make a Cinderella run then I’m fully back on board.

2 minutes ago, twfish said:

For me absolutely it does. If Richardson stays healthy excuses will be hard to come up with. As positive as I am with Ballard at some point we have to start winning. He bet on himself by bringing in his own home grown talent this year, what he does at safety in the coming month and a half has me worried as well. We were so close to winning the division last year with a back up QB that my expectation is winning the AFC south this year. 

If they make it into the wild card game and lose then the seat is just as hot for me. If they advance further and make a Cinderella run then I’m fully back on board.

Hmmm.

”Healthy excuses will be hard to come by.” 

Really?   Richardson, who had less than a thousand snaps in college, then had roughly 200 snaps his rookie year.  There’s one.   And Houston has Stroud who had a great rookie year.  Aren’t most media predicting Houston and JVille ahead of Indy this year?  That’s two without any trouble.  

I just think insisting on a division title because a fan thinks it’s time doesn’t stand up to much scrutiny.   Sorry, just my two cents…. And often not worth that much.   :peek:

59 minutes ago, twfish said:

if he is healthy and they make the playoffs in spite of, say, Houston being the 1 or 2 seed in a loaded afc, you think Irsay would contemplate firing him? That would mean we took another step forward and AR proved he could stay healthy and play ball. I don’t see his seat being hot in that scenario at all. I see the organization being fired up with that and ready to hit the offseason hard to take the next step forward. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

if he is healthy and they make the playoffs in spite of, say, Houston being the 1 or 2 seed in a loaded afc, you think Irsay would contemplate firing him? That would mean we took another step forward and AR proved he could stay healthy and play ball. I don’t see his seat being hot in that scenario at all. I see the organization being fired up with that and ready to hit the offseason hard to take the next step forward. 

"I don’t see his seat being hot in that scenario at all."

Zero probability that we go 10-7 and make the playoffs and Ballard isn't once again considered by Irsay to being Great Great Great. 

Two doesn't even mention real concern about our corners ability to cover one on one which is what happens ANYTIME we play single high.

Or lament our LB's coverage.

One thing is certain, our pass rush better be considerably more effective or we are at high risk of once again giving up a lot of big plays.

We desperately need Cross to play a whole Lotta snaps. 800+

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Link to article

This guy likes what how Ballard has built the Colts. The Colts are far from being mediocre. JMO

I do agree about the great OL and play caller. 

The DL will come down whether Latu is a legit stud pass rusher right away. JT has been a great RB, but not the past two years. The receivers are solid, but seems like most teams have good-great WR groups anymore. 

This feels like a "if everything goes right" kind of thing. But it's the offseason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

"I don’t see his seat being hot in that scenario at all."

Zero probability that we go 10-7 and make the playoffs and Ballard isn't once again considered by Irsay to being Great Great Great. 

Two doesn't even mention real concern about our corners ability to cover one on one which is what happens ANYTIME we play single high.

Or lament our LB's coverage.

One thing is certain, our pass rush better be considerably more effective or we are at high risk of once again giving up a lot of big plays.

We desperately need Cross to play a whole Lotta snaps. 800+

Ability to cover one on one which is what happened... We haven't seen any cornerback play yet this year, so I'll reserve judgment until so. Otherwise we are predicting what is going to happen based on two rookies playing last season. I am more concerned about the depth, as I can't imagine they aren't as well. I was hopeful for Scott bringing serious competition and elevating the secondary. I hope Flowers does that at cornerback. Can always improve though, and there is still plenty of time. I hope Cross becomes our permanent guy and elevates. We have a lot of youth on the backend of this roster. It's obvious the plan is for them to grow. Hopefully we see it out of the gate and consistent growth throughout the season. 

I don't see any way the pass rush is not more effective. I don't see the secondary getting worse, far from it. That will help to begin. We added the best pass rusher in the draft. We now have a deep d-line that is going to be rotated heavily, which will lead to fresh bodies bringing pressure, all the way up until the big gal sings her final tune each game. 

I may be crazy, but I'm not concerned as much as other's are about the defense. I'm concerned about #5, 11, and 28's health, as I think they drive the offense, which is going to be the difference in the W/L column. If they can stay healthy, and our defense can grow throughout the year, I think we'll be positioned well. Our depth in the trenches is going to be a major advantage over the course of a long season. I believe in Shane Steichen, more than anyone.

From a fan perspective I think that success should be about winning something.  For CB its about keeping his job.

I dont think hes awful but if AR doesnt work out he should go.  Hes had a long time

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

AKB made a bunch of satirical posts and faux letters about Ballard and players. 

Yeah I know.  I meant what happened to them? 

6 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

From a fan perspective I think that success should be about winning something.  For CB its about keeping his job.

I dont think hes awful but if AR doesnt work out he should go.  Hes had a long time

If AR doesn’t work out I think it’s hard to see a scenario where Ballard keeps his job.  I think he’d be fired.   I think either Dodds or Brown would become the new GM.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If AR doesn’t work out I think it’s hard to see a scenario where Ballard keeps his job.  I think he’d be fired.   I think either Dodds or Brown would become the new GM.  

Brown was the guy that pushed hard for AR.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

How often does that actually happen? A GM fails, gets fired... and the person who takes his job is someone who was working under him throughout all those years you fired your GM for? IMO the much more likely scenario is we start all over with a blank slate. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Brown was the guy that pushed hard for AR.

I don’t think that would be disqualifying.  Dodds wanted him.  So did Ballard.  So did Irsay.  So especially did Steichen.  

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

How often does that actually happen? A GM fails, gets fired... and the person who takes his job is someone who was working under him throughout all those years you fired your GM for? IMO the much more likely scenario is we start all over with a blank slate. 

I think both Dodds and Brown have very good reputations.    If Irsay lets both go, a new guy from the outside is going to want to come in and blow everything up and start from scratch.  Bring in his own people.  That puts Steichen in Jeopardy.   At some point the new GM wants his own HC.

I don’t think Irsay would want any part of a multi-year rebuild.  Not at his age and especially his stage.   

A move toward Dodds or Brown is the easiest, cleanest, simplest most straight forward move The Boss could make.  And keeps the continuity everywhere in the building.  Good for everyone.  

Thats my perspective.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think both Dodds and Brown have very good reputations.    If Irsay lets both go, a new guy from the outside is going to want to come in and blow everything up and start from scratch.  Bring in his own people.  That puts Steichen in Jeopardy.   At some point the new GM wants his own HC.

I don’t think Irsay would want any part of a multi-year rebuild.  Not at his age and especially his stage.   

A move toward Dodds or Brown is the easiest, cleanest, simplest most straight forward move The Boss could make.  And keeps the continuity everywhere in the building.  Good for everyone.  

Thats my perspective.  

That’s a very good take. I see and agree with you if Jim stays in control of the team. I also see another path where the daughters take control bc of his health and want to do it completely different. A lot of speculation either way. For now I’m not worried about that at all and hope AR works out. I have my strong doubts but coming around bc I trust Steichen. I think he is one of the best young coaches in the game and feel very lucky the colts have him l. Supposedly he is the one who wanted AR  and believes he can win championships with him. That’s enough for me to put on my blue colored glasses and cheer blindly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

That’s a very good take. I see and agree with you if Jim stays in control of the team. I also see another path where the daughters take control bc of his health and want to do it completely different. A lot of speculation either way. For now I’m not worried about that at all and hope AR works out. I have my strong doubts but coming around bc I trust Steichen. I think he is one of the best young coaches in the game and feel very lucky the colts have him l. Supposedly he is the one who wanted AR  and believes he can win championships with him. That’s enough for me to put on my blue colored glasses and cheer blindly. 

Well said by both you and NCF. Ballard is almost certainly tied to AR’s success. As he should be at this point. Ballard has had a lot of obstacles thrown at him. He’s also made some big mistakes yet so has every GM given enough time. But no one has an unlimited amount of rope and Ballard’s is running short. He needs this team to contend soon. That depends upon AR’s  positive development. Here’s to that happening. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I do agree about the great OL and play caller. 

The DL will come down whether Latu is a legit stud pass rusher right away. JT has been a great RB, but not the past two years. The receivers are solid, but seems like most teams have good-great WR groups anymore. 

This feels like a "if everything goes right" kind of thing. But it's the offseason.

For me last year was an example of “if everything goes wrong “ kind of thing.  Yet we had a winning season and almost made the playoffs.  The guy who tweeted hit on a lot of great positives for the team and he’s jumping on the bandwagon early.  I can see where he’s coming from.  And I agree with him actually.  So I think I’m going to climb aboard that train with him.  A monster year is on the horizon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thats my perspective.  

Those are two good replacements, if that were the scenario.  I really like Brown's eye for talent and he is learning under quality nfl minds in Ballard and Dodds.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 4:06 PM, John Waylon said:

He didn’t sign a gosder cherilus, so he’s got that going for him. 

bitcoin dive GIF

Or trade a first round pick for Richardson...... Trent that is.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

For me last year was an example of “if everything goes wrong “ kind of thing.  Yet we had a winning season and almost made the playoffs.  The guy who tweeted hit on a lot of great positives for the team and he’s jumping on the bandwagon early.  I can see where he’s coming from.  And I agree with him actually.  So I think I’m going to climb aboard that train with him.  A monster year is on the horizon.

Go for it. It's the offseason.

But I am curious how 2023 was a "if everything goes wrong" kind of thing?

• The OL bounced back to being a top 5 unit, despite Smith missing games
  • Steichen showed he can be the guy at HC
  • JT got extended and the holdout ended
  • The DL set a franchise sack record
  • The Colts faced 9-10 bad QBs

Yes, AR got hurt and had to have surgery. That was the big one. But they still managed a 9-6 record in games where their backup QB played the majority of snaps.

I would argue that things went more right than wrong last year. 2022 set the standard for things going wrong.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

It happened in KC. That was a complicated situation though. There was an issue in power structure since both Reid and Dorsey reported to Clark Hunt. Of course KC didn't want to lose Reid, so they extended him, but Dorsey didn't get a deal at that time. Eventually, Dorsey got fired and Veach (who pushed for Mahomes) replaced him as GM. 

And with Steichen looking to be the guy, there could soon be some parallels for the distribution of power. I am sure IND doesn't want to lose him.

But I also don't think there are any issues between Ballard and Steichen, like there might have been with Reid and Dorsey. And Jim Irsay is not Clark Hunt. But if his daughter is running things, she might be less sentimental and more pragmatic.

It obviously worked out really well for KC.

So maybe in IND's case, Ballard is Dorsey, Dodds plays the KC Ballard role and moves on to be a GM somewhere else (he also didn't seem as sold on AR early on as others anyways)...and Brown (who pushed for AR) becomes the GM. 

Personally, I don't think it would go quite as well as it did in KC. It worked because Mahomes was the guy. If AR not panning out is getting Ballard fired...Brown should be going with him.

So I would much prefer a reset over continuity, instead of a revamped version of the same approach that hasn't led to much success. Plus, there are plenty of good NFL org. to pilfer talented execs.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Brown was traveling almost weekly to see AR. There have been several articles and comments that sort of portray AS as Brown's magnum opus as a scout (at least to date).

So if Ballard is getting fired because AR didn't pan out (even if it's just due to injuries)...hard to imagine Brown not going with him. Seems like a tough sell. I know it would be to a lot of Colts fans.

Dodds might be a different story. He too has a great reputation, is next in line...and has been interviewing for GM jobs the past couple of years. He also had more measured takes on AR during the process. That could play well. But we also know that Ballard and Dodds are close.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thats my perspective.  

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

It happened in KC. That was a complicated situation though. There was an issue in power structure since both Reid and Dorsey reported to Clark Hunt. Of course KC didn't want to lose Reid, so they extended him, but Dorsey didn't get a deal at that time. Eventually, Dorsey got fired and Veach (who pushed for Mahomes) replaced him as GM. 

And with Steichen looking to be the guy, there could soon be some parallels for the distribution of power. I am sure IND doesn't want to lose him.

But I also don't think there are any issues between Ballard and Steichen, like there might have been with Reid and Dorsey. And Jim Irsay is not Clark Hunt. But if his daughter is running things, she might be less sentimental and more pragmatic.

It obviously worked out really well for KC.

So maybe in IND's case, Ballard is Dorsey, Dodds plays the KC Ballard role and moves on to be a GM somewhere else (he also didn't seem as sold on AR early on as others anyways)...and Brown (who pushed for AR) becomes the GM. 

Personally, I don't think it would go quite as well as it did in KC. It worked because Mahomes was the guy. If AR not panning out is getting Ballard fired...Brown should be going with him.

So I would much prefer a reset over continuity, instead of a revamped version of the same approach that hasn't led to much success. Plus, there are plenty of good NFL org. to pilfer talented execs.

My point is... it's super rare. Even if we find an example or two they are the exception, not the rule. When a GM gets fired, usually it's because the owner is looking for a change, not continuation of the same management. 

Agree that it makes it awkward with Steichen, especially if we think of him as a good coach. And BTW that's the reason I wanted Irsay to fire Ballard in 2023 and start over with a blank slate - new GM, new coach, new QB.

Ballard put his chips on the Defensive line and left the DB's stand pat. If we do not get into the playoffs with a season long healthy Richardson. It will be on the defense not causing pressure and the defensive backs didnt grow up enough

• Like 1