Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts defense

Before the draft I had said multiple times I was happy with the offense. Then they were able to land AD in the 2nd and picked up two very good OL prospects. I think the offense is set for the next 3 years and can really do some damage. 

The defense is what has concerned me. The three keys I believe are necessary for winning consistently in the NFL are:

Protect your QB - check

Get after the other QB - 75% there 

Take the ball away and give it back to your QB - middle of the pack. 

Will this defense take the next step?  We all know about the young secondary. I kind of agree with the team philosophy of letting the younger players keep playing and see who emerges. Going to be keeping an eye on Cross, Scott and Flowers all season long. I believe this is a pretty big gamble by the team but hopefully 1-2 of them will rise to the occasion and prove to be a starter. Who in the secondary is going to start creating turnovers?  

The DL will have a great rotation. If Latu is really the best pass rusher from the draft, this may be one of the deepest lines in the league. I love the DT position and the edge players have a lot of pieces for situational football. The addition of this DL coach looks to be exactly what this team needed to make the next step. 

I understand the team still may add someone. Not sure who so not going to speculate much on available FAs. Mainly would like to steer this conversation towards who on this roster is capable of making a difference.  Anyways, interested to hear people’s opinions on who we have and if they can make the next step. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Will this defense take the next step?  We all know about the young secondary. I kind of agree with the team philosophy of letting the younger players keep playing and see who emerges. Going to be keeping an eye on Cross, Scott and Flowers all season long. I believe this is a pretty big gamble by the team but hopefully 1-2 of them will rise to the occasion and prove to be a starter. Who in the secondary is going to start creating turnovers?  

I understand the team still may add someone. Not sure who so not going to speculate much on available FAs. Mainly would like to steer this conversation towards who on this roster is capable of making a difference.  Anyways, interested to hear people’s opinions on who we have and if they can make the next step. 

This defense is a very big concern to me. I'm not sure we have the right mix of personnel, either on the field or in the coaching staff.

• Thanks 2

For me, it depends on the pass rush and FS play.

im in the minority when it comes to our corners.  I think we have a solid group.  Not great, not bad, but solid.  However, I think they can look good with a good pass rush.  If Latu comes in and becomes a wrecker then our defense will be good.  If our pass rush looks like last year, then we’ll see the same thing as last year.  A good pass rush can make a bad defense look good.

for FS, we need better play.  A lot of people last year thought it was our corners, I thought it was the FS play.  I’m hoping we eventually put a vet back there but Ballard wants to evaluate what we have currently so we’ll see.  This cover 3 defense is dependent upon a good pass rush and good safety play.  We’ll need both for this defense to be good.

All in all, I’m hopeful.  I thought last year our defense was going to be absolute trash and it was better than I thought.  Can also thank a historic year of qb injuries for that, but hey, you play who you play.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

For me, it depends on the pass rush and FS play.

im in the minority when it comes to our corners.  I think we have a solid group.  Not great, not bad, but solid.  However, I think they can look good with a good pass rush.  If Latu comes in and becomes a wrecker then our defense will be good.  If our pass rush looks like last year, then we’ll see the same thing as last year.  A good pass rush can make a bad defense look good.

for FS, we need better play.  A lot of people last year thought it was our corners, I thought it was the FS play.  I’m hoping we eventually put a vet back there but Ballard wants to evaluate what we have currently so we’ll see.  This cover 3 defense is dependent upon a good pass rush and good safety play.  We’ll need both for this defense to be good.

All in all, I’m hopeful.  I thought last year our defense was going to be absolute trash and it was better than I thought.  Can also thank a historic year of qb injuries for that, but hey, you play who you play.  

I agree 100%

I would STILL grab a FA, FS

A great FS, is needed, to cover for the mistakes that the young CB room WILL make.

Our pass rush should be better

If this defense can go from bottom 5 to even 15th in points allowed, this team could be dangerous

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I agree 100%

I would STILL grab a FA, FS

A great FS, is needed, to cover for the mistakes that the young CB room WILL make.

Our pass rush should be better

If this defense can go from bottom 5 to even 15th in points allowed, this team could be dangerous

I agree wholeheartedly.  Adding an experienced FS would add another leader to help the young corners and solidify the back end of the defense.  I think strengthening that position alone will elevate the defense.  Maybe Cross can make the jump we really don’t know.  Either way solving that position is the missing link for me.  It’s the difference in becoming an ordinary defense or a great defense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachLite said:

This defense is a very big concern to me. I'm not sure we have the right mix of personnel, either on the field or in the coaching staff.

Yeah, Cus Bradley yes I said Cus I'm not a fan of his scheme if you want to call it that. So it doesn't matter who we have in the secondary it won't help. We could bring back these players in their youth again like Dion Sanders and Darrel Green and it wouldn't matter in my mind. I don't know why we hold on to a DC who has been 28 in total defense for two years. Bring in a DC with an innovative smart scheme that would confuse offenses. But what we have now is a defense that a JR high team could figure out. So yes the defense is a huge concern. We are going to have out-score teams which means our offense can make very little mistakes. 

• Like 2

Gus’s problem is that he rarely blitzes a qb and relies too much on the front 4 to put the pressure on the qb! Every qb has basically smoked a cigarette and taken a nap before a Colts defender can even breathe on them! Im not saying to blitz every play, just mix it up enough to get in the qbs head! Open gaps for lbs to get through, especially in the middle against slower pocket passing qbs. Gus has been around too long and will be too stubborn to change though!😒

I think people underestimate Flowers' ability to be a shut down corner. If he stays healthy he will have a breakout season imo. 

I love our D-line and think they are top 5 in the league. I have high hopes for Latu and think he will deliver double digit sacks, even as a rookie. His pass rush win% in college was top notch, Bosa-esque, if not better. He is DPOY material. 

Our LB's are solid and we will probably sign a proven vet at safety. 

• Like 1

One thing I just saw was the Colts were bottom 4 of the league in giving up rushing TDs. That helps explain the Davis signing to some degree. 

They also gave up 62 passing plays for 20+ yards. Thats a lot considering the consensus seems to be our secondary gives a large cushion.  

The more I dive into stats, the more I see Ballard called it how it is. We need to be more explosive on offense and give up less big plays on defense.  The Colts rank in the middle in most categories. Looks like the big plays really hurt this team. Will be interesting if the increased pass rush and experience in the secondary helps improve this defense. I think it will. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IndyEV said:

Gus’s problem is that he rarely blitzes a qb and relies too much on the front 4 to put the pressure on the qb! Every qb has basically smoked a cigarette and taken a nap before a Colts defender can even breathe on them! Im not saying to blitz every play, just mix it up enough to get in the qbs head! Open gaps for lbs to get through, especially in the middle against slower pocket passing qbs. Gus has been around too long and will be too stubborn to change though!😒

Catch -22

Does he not blitz at a higher rate (we are at the lower end of the middle of the pack) because his Ballard believes in bigger slower (4.5's) corners that can't cover go routes? BTW, if neither corner has deep speed it freezes your single high safety to the middle of the field, and Deep. IMO, Ballard's corner theory makes our single high safety look brainless.

Franklin gets chewed up good when he drops into cover 2. As I recall a 75% completion rate, 10+ per reception, and his Yac is more than the catch depth. He just stands there when guys leak out in front of him. Mike Singletary would rip his head off for not getting in there and meeting the ball.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, Cus Bradley yes I said Cus I'm not a fan of his scheme if you want to call it that. So it doesn't matter who we have in the secondary it won't help. We could bring back these players in their youth again like Dion Sanders and Darrel Green and it wouldn't matter in my mind. I don't know why we hold on to a DC who has been 28 in total defense for two years. Bring in a DC with an innovative smart scheme that would confuse offenses. But what we have now is a defense that a JR high team could figure out. So yes the defense is a huge concern. We are going to have out-score teams which means our offense can make very little mistakes. 

So the Seattle defense under Bradley wasn't good?

11 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Wowza….    :peek:

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

So the Seattle defense under Bradley wasn't good?

So we’re resting on the laurels of 12 yrs ago then is that we’re doing?  So because of Seattle we’re forgiving him for the defense being 28 in total defense two years in a row?

23 hours ago, IndyEV said:

We have some talent on D. The problem seems to be how to 'compose' that talent to be more effective. That's coaching. Every offense will try to expose the weak links, and if the strategy and tactics are predictable, that becomes the weak link.

• Like 1

I like our dline and LBers, but we're really relying on unproven young players to perform in the secondary.

Cross vs Thomas for FS

Jones, Flowers, and Baker are our depth at CB

Can Simpson and/or Abraham contribute

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

I like our dline and LBers, but we're really relying on unproven young players to perform in the secondary.

Cross vs Thomas for FS

Looks like Blackmon and Cross were in the starting roles during OTAs but I think the surprise starter could be Daniel Scott at FS.

Below is Steichen talking about Scott

“I think he’s going to have a hell of a future,” Steichen said. “He’s smart, intelligent. That’s part of it playing in the back end, communication. He made a good play on the ball.”

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Looks like Blackmon and Cross were in the starting roles during OTAs but I think the surprise starter could be Daniel Scott at FS.

Below is Steichen talking about Scott

I think you’re right about Scott.  He’s the one to keep an eye on.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CR91 said:

Cross vs Thomas for FS

A couple podcast have said the Colts are probably wanting to see these battles in OTAs first. Goes along with what Ballard has said.  FA is always an option but I’m hoping someone on the roster can play the FS spot and either Flowers or Jones solidifies themselves as the #2 corner

This is from an article at CBSsports that reviewed all the teams defenses to guess if they'd be ranked in the top 10.  The Colts got a "Not Likely", which I think is fair.  Also, I don't think a top ranked defense is that important in todays NFL.  I'd much rather have a top 10 offense and a middle of the road defense.

"The Colts are another one of those defenses that seemingly just has a low ceiling. Unless Laiatu Latu has a Will Anderson Jr.-like impact on the pass rush, the secondary doesn't seem strong enough to get this unit into the top 10. The Colts are counting on players like Julius Brents (who was pretty good as a rookie) and Dallis Flowers as foundational pieces of the defensive backfield, and that seems like a shaky proposition if you want to be an elite defense."

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

This is from an article at CBSsports that reviewed all the teams defenses to guess if they'd be ranked in the top 10.  The Colts got a "Not Likely", which I think is fair.  Also, I don't think a top ranked defense is that important in todays NFL.  I'd much rather have a top 10 offense and a middle of the road defense.

"The Colts are another one of those defenses that seemingly just has a low ceiling. Unless Laiatu Latu has a Will Anderson Jr.-like impact on the pass rush, the secondary doesn't seem strong enough to get this unit into the top 10. The Colts are counting on players like Julius Brents (who was pretty good as a rookie) and Dallis Flowers as foundational pieces of the defensive backfield, and that seems like a shaky proposition if you want to be an elite defense."

One other important note about the Colts getting a “not likely” rating.   So did about 10-12 other teams.   I think there were more teams in this category than in any other.   Just some needed context.   

Just as about everyone else says…it’s the secondary, that’s our weakest link goodbye!

I hope we bring back Gilmore truthfully, I think he still has fuel in the tank and could really teach these young kids a few things along the way.

A couple things that took place last year and throughout the off-season that I think will pay dividends this year on the defensive side of the ball.

Brents and Jones showed, in spurts, that they have the chops to play CB in this league and with a full season under their belt plus this off-season I think they will be a very solid tandem on the outside. Add in Flowers and his growth potential and a versatile rookie in Simpson I think the CB room is just fine and ready for the next step. Will they end up with more INT's and PBU's - I certainly think so.

Another coverage area that I think has improved is a full season and off-season of learning the LB spot for Ronnie Harrison and then the drafting of Jaylon Carlies and the singing of the UDFA Craig Young. All are former Safety's that have or had made the transition to LB and bring coverage skills with them and LONG arms - all three have 33" arms or longer which means wingspan and shutting down passing lanes. If the coaching staff isn't married to playing Zaire (Contract) and Speed (Veteran) on passing downs, then 2-3 of those fella's could play in sub packages and clog up passing lanes. They did cut bait with Shaq last year so I would hope that they play the kids that can actually cover versus the highest paid fella.

The addition of Latu, though he is just one man should also help speed up the QB's eyes and lead to more errant throws that could be picked off!??!

All three of those things tied together create a perfect storm of improvement in the weakest areas of our D last year.

As for Safety - I have mixed feelings about the FS spot and there are several 'what if' scenarios:

Cross could have something click and then the mental game meets up with his physical ability - which I feel like he played decent down the stretch last year (last 2-3 games)?

Thomas could return to his rookie form.

Daniel Scott could be a pretty good option but is also technically a rookie after sitting out all last year - though mental reps and walk throughs do help from time to time.

A really off the wall thought - perhaps they move Harrison back to SS and slide Blackmon to FS if the kids (Carlies & Young) prove capable as nickel and dime coverage backers?

Denbow is not the answer.......

Dabo will be on year three of using the International Roster Exception.....

Maybe they try Ameer Speed at FS with his size and speed combination? Maybe his college teammate Kendall Brooks earns a spot?

Maybe Abraham or Simpson take FS and run with it? Both played that spot in college.

Maybe Abraham proves he can play the NB and they slide Moore back to FS like he played in college?

Lots and lots of ifs and buts.........

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

A couple things that took place last year and throughout the off-season that I think will pay dividends this year on the defensive side of the ball.

Brents and Jones showed, in spurts, that they have the chops to play CB in this league and with a full season under their belt plus this off-season I think they will be a very solid tandem on the outside. Add in Flowers and his growth potential and a versatile rookie in Simpson I think the CB room is just fine and ready for the next step. Will they end up with more INT's and PBU's - I certainly think so.

Another coverage area that I think has improved is a full season and off-season of learning the LB spot for Ronnie Harrison and then the drafting of Jaylon Carlies and the singing of the UDFA Craig Young. All are former Safety's that have or had made the transition to LB and bring coverage skills with them and LONG arms - all three have 33" arms or longer which means wingspan and shutting down passing lanes. If the coaching staff isn't married to playing Zaire (Contract) and Speed (Veteran) on passing downs, then 2-3 of those fella's could play in sub packages and clog up passing lanes. They did cut bait with Shaq last year so I would hope that they play the kids that can actually cover versus the highest paid fella.

The addition of Latu, though he is just one man should also help speed up the QB's eyes and lead to more errant throws that could be picked off!??!

All three of those things tied together create a perfect storm of improvement in the weakest areas of our D last year.

As for Safety - I have mixed feelings about the FS spot and there are several 'what if' scenarios:

Cross could have something click and then the mental game meets up with his physical ability - which I feel like he played decent down the stretch last year (last 2-3 games)?

Thomas could return to his rookie form.

Daniel Scott could be a pretty good option but is also technically a rookie after sitting out all last year - though mental reps and walk throughs do help from time to time.

A really off the wall thought - perhaps they move Harrison back to SS and slide Blackmon to FS if the kids (Carlies & Young) prove capable as nickel and dime coverage backers?

Denbow is not the answer.......

Dabo will be on year three of using the International Roster Exception.....

Maybe they try Ameer Speed at FS with his size and speed combination? Maybe his college teammate Kendall Brooks earns a spot?

Maybe Abraham or Simpson take FS and run with it? Both played that spot in college.

Maybe Abraham proves he can play the NB and they slide Moore back to FS like he played in college?

Lots and lots of ifs and buts.........

Nice post.  So many in house choices at FS.  They will probably settle on one of them. Most likely Cross or Scott.  Of course my favorite solution is trading for Baker and extending him and the problem is solved for the foreseeable future. But we know Ballard so he will be giving his young draftee’s an opportunity as he should.  I do think Brent’s and Jones are the starting corners.  I do think Brents has to stay healthy because I can easily see Flowers taking it and not giving it back if he misses significant time again.  

• Like 1

Thinking back to his postseason press conference, Ballard said he likes the young players in the defensive backfield, but also made it sound like he knew they need additions there. I hope he hasn't changed his mind. 

In the defensive backfield, though, Ballard said there could be opportunities to do more through free agency in the coming weeks.

"We know we need to add and there's still some vets out there that we will definitely pay attention to," Ballard said. "But there's still work to be done."

The Colts like some of their young cornerbacks and safeties, and believe JuJu Brents, Jaylon Jones, Dallis Flowers, Nick Cross and Daniel Scott all have upside as they enter Year 2 or Year 3 in the NFL. Ballard specifically discussed those cornerbacks on Tuesday.

"No question we got work to do in the secondary still," Ballard said. "But I like our three young corners. JuJu's gotta be healthy, we gotta get Dallis back healthy, we think we will. We think JuJu will be back healthy. We think both of them are very good. I think we underestimate what Jones did. I thought Jones played really good football last year and did it against some very talented wideouts and never once backed down. He's going to continue to get better. We think these guys are going to continue to get better."

https://www.colts.com/news/chris-ballard-free-agency-spending-cornerbacks-anthony-richardson-2024

Shaq, Tony Brown, Baker, Tavern Bryan, Johnson and Sills should be replaced this season and that alone should hopefully make us better. Nick Cross and Thomas must improve. The superior DL will help us take the next step

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 9:36 AM, tweezy32 said:

Our secondary is atrocious, hoping Latu helps them out.

it would help a lot if we could bring pressure on most snaps , sacks are good but constant pressure is even better imo

• Like 1