Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles Sirianni could target Colts Bob Cooter for OC

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don't know if including playcalling duties would raise it above being a lateral move, but I guess they could tag on Assistent Headcoach if they REALLY wanted Cooter.

I found some information on the rule change from 2020. Looks like the language was exclusively for position coaches moving up to coordinator, and didn’t require playcalling duties. I don’t see that being a thing. I don’t think he can go anywhere other than head coach, unless we grant it to him (like the chiefs with Bieniemy)

• Like 1

Just now, twfish said:

He can just hire Reich 🤣

Actually an excellent point.  He made derogatory comments when the Colts fired Reich.  Why not bring him in?  Maybe Reich is going to step away from coaching for awhile and isn't interested 

• Like 4

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

I found some information on the rule change from 2020. Looks like the language was exclusively for position coaches moving up to coordinator, and didn’t require playcalling duties. I don’t see that being a thing. I don’t think he can go anywhere other than head coach, unless we grant it to him (like the chiefs with Bieniemy)

I guess we could do that, but I think Steichen would like him to stay for AR's sake - consistency and all that. I think the Colts would block a lateral move and either promise Cooter playcalling duties down the road or promise to let him move on (to another OC job with playcalling duties) after another year or two.

• Like 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

I guess we could do that, but I think Steichen would like him to stay for AR's sake - consistency and all that. I think the Colts would block a lateral move and either promise Cooter playcalling duties down the road or promise to let him move on (to another OC job with playcalling duties) after another year or two.

I think staying with Steichen would be probably a much more comfortable position of stability considering sirianni isn’t necessarily even guaranteed tomorrow. 

That would be adding a lot of pressure to go to Philly on what could be a one year deal with no assurances. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The Eagles are offering him a deal where he can change his name.   It just might be enough

Haha

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-nick-sirianni-could-target-colts-jim-bob-cooter-as-new-offensive-coordinator-per-report/amp/

LOL. Nick can’t stand it. If you can’t live without Steichen, take Steichen’s OC…  What a mentality. What a mess. 

Can the Colts not block this from happening? 

Hopefully the colts block it. And do smooth things over to Jim Bob, I’d give him a pay raise

It would suck to lose him but I'm fine with it. Shane is the one running our offense and I trust him to find a replacement.

14 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Why would he leave for an OC position in Philly when he has that job here in Indy?

Playcalling? Sirianni hasn't been very good at it. Although it's a lateral move, if he's a good playcaller, then it could mean the difference between being an OC and HC (like Steichen).

27 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

It would suck to lose him but I'm fine with it. Shane is the one running our offense and I trust him to find a replacement.

Playcalling? Sirianni hasn't been very good at it. Although it's a lateral move, if he's a good playcaller, then it could mean the difference between being an OC and HC (like Steichen).

It's 100% on playcalling. It's the only weight to the report. 

But even then, Sirianni didn't call plays when he was here and still landed the Eagles job. A few solid years of good gameplanning and improvement on offense for the Colts, and Jim Bob will easily be sitting in HC interviews. 

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Actually an excellent point.  He made derogatory comments when the Colts fired Reich.  Why not bring him in?  Maybe Reich is going to step away from coaching for awhile and isn't interested 

I believe Frank has said his time coaching in the NFL is over.   I think he might coach at a small level of college, or perhaps in HS like Philip Rivers has done.

• Like 2

At this point, it seems like pure speculation, especially because Philly has an OC at the moment and based on what happened this season, I don't see him getting a HC position.

As for JBC, it wouldn't make sense to jump ship from Steichen that has solid job security with a team on the upswing for Siriani who would be lucky to not get fired this off-season and will absolutely be gone this time next year if he doesn't have a miraculous turnaround.

If Brian Johnson is gone for whichever reason, I don't think JBC would even entertain an offer from Siriani. Granted the team would block it anyhow because its absolutely a lateral move (playcalling and Asst HC don't change that if I'm remembering correctly).

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Shive said:

At this point, it seems like pure speculation, especially because Philly has an OC at the moment and based on what happened this season, I don't see him getting a HC position.

I don’t either. But nbc just posted an article saying “they could hire him.” 

I don’t know where that even comes from, but it sounds like the media doing the eagles work for them. Maybe he would prefer to go back to Philly in a playcalling role and hence the desire to work out a deal. 

has a trade ever happened at the coordinator level? lol. 

19 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t either. But nbc just posted an article saying “they could hire him.” 

I don’t know where that even comes from, but it sounds like the media doing the eagles work for them. Maybe he would prefer to go back to Philly in a playcalling role and hence the desire to work out a deal. 

has a trade ever happened at the coordinator level? lol. 

It’s been speculated all over Twitter but it’s just speculation. Not really  rumor.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s been speculated all over Twitter but it’s just speculation. Not really  rumor.

i don’t see it as speculation. There was a report through nfl media that said Sirianni has been calling people for the coordinator position and Jim Bob was one of them. So it’s highly likely he’s been reached out to and either two things have happened- a) he’s flat out rejected it and that has just been kept out of the media or b) he’s entertaining it and possibly has had discussions with Steichen/Ballard about it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

i don’t see it as speculation. There was a report through nfl media that said Sirianni has been calling people for the coordinator position and Jim Bob was one of them. So it’s highly likely he’s been reached out to and either two things have happened- a) he’s flat out rejected it and that has just been kept out of the media or b) he’s entertaining it and possibly has had discussions with Steichen/Ballard about it. 

I may be crazy but with AR coming back and Shane's stock is on the rise, I think the Colts have more upside than Philly has right now so not sure why Jim-Bob would want to leave here to go there. I think Philly is on the downward spiral. 

Jim-Bob going there would be like someone leaving a job to make the same amount of money, but that job is tougher. Makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Shane should do to Sirianni did to him last year.  Block all requests.  What goes around comes around.  

After they beat us, he acted like he won the SB. They beat us by 1 point and had a better team. The way he acted after that game soured me, so he can move on from us. He should hire Frank, that is his buddy chuckling homer simpson GIF

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Why would he leave for an OC position in Philly when he has that job here in Indy?

Cooter would actually be calling the plays in Philly like he did a few years back with the Lions. Nick is hc in Philly but doesn't call the plays. Here in Indy Cooter is oc by title and helps with the overall offensive game plan but Shane calls the plays.

This is a little interesting to me though. Would Shane feel some type of gratitude to Nick for allowing him to shine in Philly by hiring him as Philly's oc a couple of years back? Could Shane block the move? Yes but I believe he will allow Jim Bob to make his own decision concerning his future. Shane runs the show on offense anyway and is probably confident enough with his current staff to promote someone from within like the qb coach.

33 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Cooter would actually be calling the plays in Philly like he did a few years back with the Lions. Nick is hc in Philly but doesn't call the plays. Here in Indy Cooter is oc by title and helps with the overall offensive game plan but Shane calls the plays.

This is a little interesting to me though. Would Shane feel some type of gratitude to Nick for allowing him to shine in Philly by hiring him as Philly's oc a couple of years back? Could Shane block the move? Yes but I believe he will allow Jim Bob to make his own decision concerning his future. Shane runs the show on offense anyway and is probably confident enough with his current staff to promote someone from within like the qb coach.

Ok thanks for that info.

So cooter would want the position because it entails calling plays and calling plays is a stepping stone to being a HC.

I don't see cooter as irreplaceable since he doesn't call plays here.

Shane may just let him go as a favor to sirriani.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Ok thanks for that info.

So cooter would want the position because it entails calling plays and calling plays is a stepping stone to being a HC.

I don't see cooter as irreplaceable since he doesn't call plays here.

Shane may just let him go as a favor to sirriani.

I remember for a split second when Jim Bob Cooter was in Detroit as oc with Stafford he was a hot hc candidate but it was reported that some owners couldn't take him serious because of his name and that's sad. Jabs are still taken at his name in "fun" every blue moon but I can see some stuffy owner or buttoned up executive shying away regardless of what JBC could bring to the table as a hc. Bless his parents but they did him no favors (corporate wise) with that name right or wrong. Me personally I could care less as long as he could perform in his chosen field at the highest level period.

I'm sure JBC will make the best decision for he and his family as well as his career but to me it seems like Nick is on VERY shakey ground in Philly. So to me JBC's best move might be to stick with the shoe and be part of something that appears to be trending upward which could lead to even better opportunities down the road. I would rather JBC stay because he is another good offensive mind on hand but we are still in good hands with Shane.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I may be crazy but with AR coming back and Shane's stock is on the rise, I think the Colts have more upside than Philly has right now so not sure why Jim-Bob would want to leave here to go there. I think Philly is on the downward spiral. 

Jim-Bob going there would be like someone leaving a job to make the same amount of money, but that job is tougher. Makes no sense to me.

I don’t think you are crazy. They are set to lose one of their pillars on offense in Jason Kelce. They are going to 1000% regress at that position. Lane Johnson is potentially ready to retire. Their receiving core is very thin, as obvious by the last several weeks. and as you mention- tougher job, not very stable at all… If he goes there and they regress even further, he could be hard pressed to find another OC job right away… 

His best opportunity for advancement is with us, even as a non-playcalling coordinator. There have been several coordinators come out of Indy during Ballard’s tenure and into head coaching positions. Shane is going to give credit where it’s due during success. If this offense continues on an upward trajectory, I think Jim Bob is sitting in HC interviews within the next few seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1