Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles Sirianni could target Colts Bob Cooter for OC

I'm hoping the Colts can keep Jim-Bob Cooter on their staff heading into next season. I want Anthony Richardson to have a consistent coaching staff his first few seasons in the league (something Andrew Luck never had) I won't fault JBC for leaving if a better opportunity comes along, but the selfish part of me wants to keep the entire offensive staff in tact for as long as possible.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 12:02 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The colts I feel wouldn’t block it if Colter wanted to interview or take the job. I just don’t see him wanting to go there. 

If a guy wants a promotion they would probably let him take it. Calling plays does give him more say in the offense.

Where are you seeing it being a promotion? He would be leaving one OC position to go to another. It’s the same position just a different organization.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Where are you seeing it being a promotion? He would be leaving one OC position to go to another. It’s the same position just a different organization.

As I posted earlier in the thread, the whole thing doesn't make sense. Why would you leave a team that improved 5 games and is on the rise to go a team that declined 3 games and went from being in the SB to being 1 and done? To take the same position as he has now. If I had my choice between staying here or going to Philly, I would stay here if I was going to be doing the same thing. This sounds like a Sirianni thing, and he can target whoever he wants, doesn't matter. We have no intention that I have heard of letting Jim-Bob go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As I posted earlier in the thread, the whole thing doesn't make sense. Why would you leave a team that improved 5 games and is on the rise to go a team that declined 3 games and went from being in the SB to being 1 and done? To take the same position as he has now. If I had my choice between staying here or going to Philly, I would stay here if I was going to be doing the same thing. This sounds like a Sirianni thing, and he can target whoever he wants, doesn't matter. We have no intention that I have heard of letting Jim-Bob go. 

I don’t think the Colts will let Jim Bob go either.   But if he does leave, it wouldn’t be the same position.   In title, sure, but he’d be going so he could be the play caller which he doesn’t do now.   Being a play caller is much more attractive on a resume.   It would help his future. 

Again, I think Jim Bob stays.  Ballard is a fan, he was raving about Jim Bob early in the season. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think the Colts will let Jim Bob go either.   But if he does leave, it wouldn’t be the same position.   In title, sure, but he’d be going so he could be the play caller which he doesn’t do now.   Being a play caller is much more attractive on a resume.   It would help his future. 

Again, I think Jim Bob stays.  Ballard is a fan, he was raving about Jim Bob early in the season. 

He called plays in Detroit when he was their OC

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lots of words. Yet you are ignorant of the fact he wouldn't have the same responsibilities. Keep your ear to the ground. :bossy:

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Lots of words. Yet you are ignorant of the fact he wouldn't have the same responsibilities. Keep your ear to the ground. :bossy:

He would have the same title there as he would here. You are also naive to think he has 0 input on what plays are called. He is the OC, why even have an OC if it is all Shane. Shane is the main play caller, but Jim-Bob has influence on some of what is called. He also was the main caller in Detroit. I know plenty of facts, I didn't miss a game all season or miss a post-game press conference from the coaches. Saying Jim-Bob doesn't have influence on the play calling is like saying Bieinemy didn't have any KC because of Andy Reid. Then Bieniemy leaves, and the whole media was saying that was the reason why the Chiefs offense struggled this year. 

• Like 1

He would have the same title there as he would here. You are also naive to think he has 0 input on what plays are called. He is the OC, why even have an OC if it is all Shane. Shane is the main play caller, but Jim-Bob has influence on some of what is called. He also was the main caller in Detroit. I know plenty of facts, I didn't miss a game all season or miss a post-game press conference from the coaches. Saying Jim-Bob doesn't have influence on the play calling is like saying Bieinemy didn't have any KC because of Andy Reid. Then Bieniemy leaves, and the whole media was saying that was the reason why the Chiefs offense struggled this year. 

I mean, the answer to your question is pretty simple though. Why would he leave the Colts for the Eagles? Because he'd be the primary play caller for the Eagles. That's it, that would be the draw. And it pretty much speaks for itself.

I don't know if JBC even wants to go to the Eagles, and it doesn't sound like the Eagles have requested permission to talk to him so far, so it might not even be a thing. JBC might NOT want to leave the Colts, and that would be understandable for several reasons.

But, if he did want to leave the Colts for the Eagles, it would be because he'd be the primary play caller there. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I mean, the answer to your question is pretty simple though. Why would he leave the Colts for the Eagles? Because he'd be the primary play caller for the Eagles. That's it, that would be the draw. And it pretty much speaks for itself.

I don't know if JBC even wants to go to the Eagles, and it doesn't sound like the Eagles have requested permission to talk to him so far, so it might not even be a thing. JBC might NOT want to leave the Colts, and that would be understandable for several reasons.

But, if he did want to leave the Colts for the Eagles, it would be because he'd be the primary play caller there. 

I get what you are saying but for how long? Let's say Cooter goes to Philly and they start 0-2 or 1-4, I can see Sirianni stepping in and saying he is going to start calling plays. Then Cooter is stuck doing the same thing on a team, IMO that is going nowhere. Philly should make the playoffs next season only because they play in the NFC. With the way their team is constructed right now, I would give them about a 10% of making the SB. SF and Detroit are way better and aren't going anywhere, Dallas will win that division again despite laying an egg in the playoffs - they are just better. I give the Colts a better chance at winning their division than I do Philly winning theirs. 

I get what you are saying but for how long? Let's say Cooter goes to Philly and they start 0-2 or 1-4, I can see Sirianni stepping in and saying he is going to start calling plays. Then Cooter is stuck doing the same thing on a team, IMO that is going nowhere. Philly should make the playoffs next season only because they play in the NFC. With the way their team is constructed right now, I would give them about a 10% of making the SB. SF and Detroit are way better and aren't going anywhere, Dallas will win that division again despite laying an egg in the playoffs - they are just better. I give the Colts a better chance at winning their division than I do Philly winning theirs. 

I agree with this. Much more comfort in Indy as far as job security than in Philly. Next year for the Colts, expectations may be higher with AR, but I don’t see them firing a non-playcalling OC if there is a regression, even with a healthy AR. However, with Philly, as you pointed out, the playcalling responsibility could end abruptly for a coach that is already desperate. The only one I see taking that job is one that is arrogant enough to think they can get them back to a title contender discussion, or one that can look past the obvious hot seat that Sirianni is sitting on. 

But let's say he goes there, gets playcalling duties and they start winning again? Now he's on trajectory to land a HC job within a few years if he keeps producing.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

But let's say he goes there, gets playcalling duties and they start winning again? Now he's on trajectory to land a HC job within a few years if he keeps producing.

Exactly, most coaches want to be a head coach in this league and Jim Bob will significantly improve those chances if he’s the one calling plays.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 4:20 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Exactly, most coaches want to be a head coach in this league and Jim Bob will significantly improve those chances if he’s the one calling plays.

But Sirianni didn’t call the plays here as OC, Reich did,  yet he still got a HC job.  I’m with @2006Coltsbestever on this one.  Philly feels like a place a coach would go to get shot out of a cannon at the first sign of trouble right now.  

I would think the more exciting prospect was working with Shane to develop a QB with a much higher ceiling than Hurts in AR.  But I’m just an ArmchairQB. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArmchairQB said:

But Sirianni didn’t call the plays here as OC, Reich did,  yet he still got a HC job.  I’m with @2006Coltsbestever on this one.  Philly feels like a place a coach would go to get shot out of a cannon at the first sign of trouble right now.  

I would think the more exciting prospect was working with Shane to develop a QB with a much higher ceiling than Hurts in AR.  But I’m just an ArmchairQB. 

I didn’t say he had too I said it would help.  Yes a few OC have gotten jobs without calling plays but the vast majority of them have called plays.

• Shive locked this topic