Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay's Interview - "Real Sports w/ Bryant Gumbel"

sb41champs

Oof. Not great. Irsay really does himself no favors throughout any of this. It highlights his addiction struggles and his eccentric hobbies. 

He’s transparent about his past but refuted one of his most public incidents. Also, dropped a terrible quote that he experiences prejudice because he’s a white billionaire. Came off not great.

Of course Bryant Gumble made some rude comments after the fact. Dude didn’t even know what Irsay’s reputation is with players and around the league. That part was disappointing. 

Not a great look overall though. 

I know he has his struggles and I can understand if he meant something more along the lines of him being a public figure and rich so it’s easy to paint a target on him for everything kinda thing but it just didn’t come off well at all and felt out of touch. 

I’d say how those around him allow him to do this is beyond me but I know better and Irsay just does wth he wants. One of the things I like about him for better or worse. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

Oof. Not great. Irsay really does himself no favors throughout any of this. It highlights his addiction struggles and his eccentric hobbies. 

He’s transparent about his past but refuted one of his most public incidents. Also, dropped a terrible quote that he experiences prejudice because he’s a white billionaire. Came off not great.

Of course Bryant Gumble made some rude comments after the fact. Dude didn’t even know what Irsay’s reputation is with players and around the league. That part was disappointing. 

Not a great look overall though. 

I know he has his struggles and I can understand if he meant something more along the lines of him being a public figure and rich so it’s easy to paint a target on him for everything kinda thing but it just didn’t come off well at all and felt out of touch. 

I’d say how those around him allow him to do this is beyond me but I know better and Irsay just does wth he wants. One of the things I like about him for better or worse. 

Very well said, all I kept thinking of when the baton will be handed off to the girls. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think anyone is going to care about this.

I think those in the Indy market or Colts fans won’t care too much. You can bet that it’ll be picked up by some national outlets and they’ll take some heat no doubt. How much heat? We will see.

I’m going to bet we will see a follow-up from Irsay or the Colts to add any face saving clarifications. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Well, I just saw the episode. The firestorm is about to happen. I really appreciate Jim for all that he has done for the Colts. This could be the end, as he doesn’t care what people think. Well, stay tuned to what’s next.

The end of what? He can’t be fired

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

I think those in the Indy market or Colts fans won’t care too much. You can bet that it’ll be picked up by some national outlets and they’ll take some heat no doubt. How much heat? We will see.

I’m going to bet we will see a follow-up from Irsay or the Colts to add any face saving clarifications. 

Nope it’s already aired  and not seeing anything. Andrea Kramer was on the radio this morning and applauded him for being so open.

He said one thing that sounded bad. But I could easily see what he was probably trying to say in his usual ham fisted, very inelegant way. Now, had he brought race into it more directly (as in I'm more discriminated against than minorities), something like that, it might be different. 

• Like 1

This is a terrible take…. I know for a fact there was plenty of evidence against him. Gotta take some accountability.

Oh well. Good for him for speaking out just wish it was the truth. Unfortunately drugs obviously took a toll on him throughout the years.

Hopefully the daughters will be ready to takeover when the time comes.

I really don't think many people will care about this interview here in a few days. It will be forgotten by most of the media. It was Jim being Jim. He really didn't say anything that blew my mind. Overall, Jim seems to be a kindhearted person, he raised 3 girls pretty well - has given them a great life so that alone gives him a good resume in life. That isn't easy! He loves the Colts - he wants to win, he won a SB so football wise, he has been one of the best owners. Some owners are just in it for the money IMO. He is twice the man his dad was The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really don't think many people will care about this interview here in a few days. It will be forgotten by most of the media. It was Jim being Jim. He really didn't say anything that blew my mind. Overall, Jim seems to be a kindhearted person, he raised 3 girls pretty well - has given them a great life so that alone gives him a good resume in life. That isn't easy! He loves the Colts - he wants to win, he won a SB so football wise, he has been one of the best owners. Some owners are just in it for the money IMO. He is twice the man his dad was The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

“He is TWICE the man his dad wall”. ?? 

I know it was just a figure of speech….  But for me,  I think Jim is 200 times the man his dad was, maybe even 2,000 times the man his dad was.    His father and mother are the reasons Irsay has so many demons.   Jim’s dad and mom were the parents from H*ll.   No child should be raised by monsters like that.  It’s a small miracle Jim came out as well as he did.  

I thought the piece was about 95 percent flattering.   Andrea Kramer was the right reporter, she gets and understands Jim.   And while I understand Jim’s comment, I wish he hadn’t said it.   When he passes, that quote will be part of his obit.   Wish it wasn’t so. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

“He is TWICE the man his dad wall”. ?? 

I know it was just a figure of speech….  But for me,  I think Jim is 200 times the man his dad was, maybe even 2,000 times the man his dad was.    His father and mother are the reasons Irsay has so many demons.   Jim’s dad and mom were the parents from H*ll.   No child should be raised by monsters like that.  It’s a small miracle Jim came out as well as he did.  

I thought the piece was about 95 percent flattering.   Andre Kramer was the right reporter, she gets and understands Jim.   And while I understand Jim’s comment, I wish he hadn’t said it.   When he passes, that quote will be part of his obit.   Wish it wasn’t so. 

I have always loved Kramer. Media wise, she is top notch and has been for 3 decades. The right person was picked for this interview. If the media had more people like her, the sports world would be much better. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dunk said:

USA Today article I found. Not trying to start a social or political debate,so delete if this is out of bounds please.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/colts-owner-jim-irsay-needs-to-check-his-privilege-and-remember-a-name-george-floyd/ar-AA1kiFAm

I read that article and thought it was trash.  The writer went out of his way to make it about race.  On the surface what Jim said is true, high profile people are treated differently than the general populous.  For good and bad.  

I applaud Jim for speaking his mind.  Even if you’re not allowed to have an unpopular opinion anymore for fear of being cancelled.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I read that article and thought it was trash.  The writer went out of his way to make it about race.  On the surface what Jim said is true, high profile people are treated differently than the general populous.  For good and bad.  

I applaud Jim for speaking his mind.  Even if you’re not allowed to have an unpopular opinion anymore for fear of being cancelled.  

Thanks for the confirmation. I saw the title and figured it would be trash

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have always loved Kramer. Media wise, she is top notch and has been for 3 decades. The right person was picked for this interview. If the media had more people like her, the sports world would be much better. 

She was on the radio the other day. Said she personally emailed Peyton and he accepted the invite really fast. She is very well respected. Said she has tried to get the Irsay interview for a few years. Says she respects him a ton for being so open. I guess Greg Gumble said some things that didn’t make Irsay happy this morning.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

She was on the radio the other day. Said she personally emailed Peyton and he accepted the invite really fast. She is very well respected. Said she has tried to get the Irsay interview for a few years. Says she respects him a ton for being so open. I guess Greg Gumble said some things that didn’t make Irsay happy this morning.

Every time I have tried to watch "Real Sports" it's hardly ever about sports

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

There is definitely a prejudice against billionaires in society.  Yes its a tone def take that no one will like to hear but its also true

I will agree with that. Wasn’t why he was arrested though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

Poorly worded but I don’t disagree. It would’ve come off better had he phrased it more so that Carmel PD wanted to get some notoriety for busting the rich owner of the Colts.

That most likely wouldn’t be any police departments goal. Especially with a large department like Carmel.

3 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

There is definitely a prejudice against billionaires in society.  Yes its a tone def take that no one will like to hear but its also true

That's true among many people in society, but the American justice system has always favored rich white males. That will make Irsay's quote difficult for many to swallow. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Bravo said:

That most likely wouldn’t be any police departments goal. Especially with a large department like Carmel.

Since Irsay lives there, can I assume Carmel is where the rich of Indianapolis live?    You know, The Beverly Hills of Indy? 

If so, typically police like that would be deferential to the people who lived there.  When you see the police tape, Irsay looked terrible.   Any good police would do what the Carmel police did. 

• Like 3

Irsay is a very good man who is a much better owner than his father ever was and is one of the better owners in sports.  He still said something that is at best tone deaf last night but as someone once told me no one is the villain in their own story.  The good news for  him is that this aired two days before one of the two most important holidays in the US.  It’s going to have a short shelf life as long as Irsay lets it die and doesn’t remind people he said this after Thanksgiving is over.  The people who don’t like Irsay are going to pound him for this.  Those that like him will be more likely to give him a pass.  Just how these things work for better or worse.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Since Irsay lives there, can I assume Carmel is where the rich of Indianapolis live?    You know, The Beverly Hills of Indy? 

If so, typically police like that would be deferential to the people who lived there.  When you see the police tape, Irsay looked terrible.   Any good police would do what the Carmel police did. 

More like Hamilton County in general, although all sides of Indy has rich suburbs.

Hamilton County is the the richest county in Indiana.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/richest-county-every-state-130018954.html

18. Indiana

Richest county: Hamilton

Richest county’s median household income: $104,858

Richest county’s largest cities/towns by population: Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville

I was born in Noblesville, I consider it a testament to me that I can still afford to live here. Because I am far, far away from being rich.

Carmel Police are the worst though, not speaking on this matter, just in general.

Out of all the cities in Hamilton County, that is last place I want to be pulled over. That isn't a new thing that goes back 25-30 years.

2020 Census had Hamilton County as the 53rd richest county in the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

More like Hamilton County in general, although all sides of Indy has rich suburbs.

Hamilton County is the the richest county in Indiana.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/richest-county-every-state-130018954.html

I was born in Noblesville, I consider it a testament to me that I can still afford to live here. Because I am far, far away from being rich.

Carmel Police are the worst though, not speaking on this matter, just in general.

Out of all the cities in Hamilton County, that is last place I want to be pulled over. That isn't a new thing that goes back 25-30 years.

To give people an idea of how rich Carmel is at one point it cost MORE to live there than Beverly Hills.  That was a few years ago so that might not be true anymore but point stands rich people live there.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Irsay had mansions in both Carmel and Zionsville. He sold his Zionsville mansion in 2019. Zionsville is another place where some Colts players live. Carmel is also where some big company execs live, and the doctors and the lawyers. 

I live in Brownsburg, another suburb like @w87r, where things are still affordable to move in. But folks here moved in 30 years ago thinking it won't change, to live on a fixed income. But as crime goes up in the city, folks who want safe conditions for their families have to move somewhere to some suburb that is affordable and typically Carmel and Zionsville are crossed off the list (unless you moved in there 20 years ago). There is always resistance to change when the younger families invade what the previous generation thought was a safe haven to live with fixed income, and with it comes a little resentment, more property taxes, more need for schools, and feelings such as how they don't want their place to grow/become like Carmel etc. :)  A lot of companies do pay corporate taxes in Carmel, which is where I work too but not live. However, people out there do get a bad reputation unnecessarily, because of the broad brushing that goes on. My kid is in Marching Band and we talk with Marching Band parents in Carmel, they are people just like anyone else, very nice and not all of them are rich (which to me is becoming a relative term).

Having a kid in high school, I see both sides of the spectrum but it has drawn more inner city talent to sports in Brownsburg schools, that is for sure. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

qWYic09299nbCMb3tUhOdllUDNo=.gif

This is hilarious. Society is completely set up in favor of billionaires.

• Like 2

I’ve never met any billionaires but I’m sure they’re like literally any other group of people — some good folks and some tools. I hold no ill will toward billionaires. In fact, if I could have been a billionaire I definitely would have. My only advice to the billionaires reading this: If you’re going to use and/or drink, just hire a driver. 

• Thanks 1