Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fav colts backup qb of the last 20 yr or so?

Trace Pyott

With minshew being our starter right now it got me thinking. Where would he rank amongst the backups we have had since the manning days.  Out of these and if I forget any please feel free to add them. 

We got minshew, brissett, Jim sorgi, Sam ehlinger, Curtis painter (yuck) that’s all I can think of off the top of my head. Who would you say are the top 3 if you had to have one fill in for a season and not to tank but to win games lol. 

I have to go beyond 20 yrs:

Bert Jones- backed up Marty Domres. Until he started.

Unless we count Johnny Unitas backing up Earl Morral who was backing up Johnny Unitas.

Or Tom Matte- Emergency QB backing up Gary Cuozo who backed up Unitas. Matte became first to use the wristband, and QBed almost to the Championship Game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Paul Justin

Kelly Holcomb 

sorgi - for his commercial on never being needed 

Orlovski- saved us from going 0-16

brissett 

minshew 

hassleback

harbaugh

I’ve liked so many.  

You missed so many. Scott Tolzien, Chandler Harnish? I'm surprised Harbaugh is not more popular.

(I liked Kelly Holcomb. He was a Viking once. I did not know that Harnish was too. I don't remember Harnish as a Viking.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Paul Justin

Kelly Holcomb 

sorgi - for his commercial on never being needed 

Orlovski- saved us from going 0-16

brissett 

minshew 

hassleback

harbaugh

I’ve liked so many.   

Going back that far, this is a good list. I forgot about Orlovski, and not many people remember Harbaughs first season he was a back up to start.

Paul Justin started vs the Packers in 97? Posted a perfect Qb rating and won the Colts first game that year in a shootout.

Kelly had talent, but always had a bad quarter in him. He was tough though. He finished a game in college with a broken jaw, and played the Bengals with a broken hand when he was a Colt.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Not as bad as Manning losing to the Saints in their SB

Way worse than Manning. Even had Manning scored, it would have just tied the game. Saints get the ball back with 4 minutes left. We couldn't stop the Saints all 2nd half, so they still would have won with a last second FG in probability. Plus the onsides kick changed that game, Manning's INT just sealed it but it was 1 play. Regarding Earl, he was throwing to the jets all day with pinpoint accuracy, he made 4 or 5 bad plays that were crucial. 

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Way worse than Manning. Even had Manning scored, it would have just tied the game. Saints get the ball back with 4 minutes left. We couldn't stop the Saints all 2nd half, so they still would have won with a last second FG in probability. Plus the onsides kick changed that game, Manning's INT just sealed it but it was 1 play. Regarding Earl, he was throwing to the jets all day with pinpoint accuracy, he made 4 or 5 bad plays that were crucial. 

You oddly leave out the INT Manning threw before his last INT costing the Colts a chance to win. 

Hasselbeck hands down.

19 hours ago, NFLfan said:

You missed so many. Scott Tolzien, Chandler Harnish? I'm surprised Harbaugh is not more popular.

(I liked Kelly Holcomb. He was a Viking once. I did not know that Harnish was too. I don't remember Harnish as a Viking.)

Harbaugh breaks the 20 year rule.