Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Leonard seems displeased with his role

John Waylon

Shaq was a highly instinctual player and very adept at reading the line of scrimmage. He now appears to be dancing around at the snap and is late to the party on the majority of snaps.  The scheme may take some adjustment, but it appears more than that. Does not appear to be fully back mentally with the old Maniac mindset.  Needs to stay healthy and get back to form.

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

PFF has him at 64 which is considered backup/replaceable level.  And again, that is as a LB only in on running downs.

That ain't good.

Shaq looks like he's cruising to me.  He's slower no doubt, but that shouldn't stop him from trying to hit someone and knock the stuffing out of him.  He doesn't want to do it as far as I can tell.

Probably very wise for a rich man like him to play like that, but it doesn't make a very good ILB.

If he is only cruising and doesn't want to play,   why would he publicly say he isn't happy about playing more?  Pretty contradictory trains of thought.   

20 minutes ago, stitches said:

Second leader of this team voicing displeasure with his role in 2 weeks. The leadership on this team is indeed exceptional. 

Remember Ballard drafts character because he isn't drafting on talent lol.  Now his ability to draft character can even be questioned 

• Like 4

Maybe if Leonard was making more of an impact, when he is in the game, then the coach would start playing him more frequently?

I honestly think, theoretically, if EJ Speed was given all of Shaq's reps, we would not see much of a drop-off, and perhaps even a slight improvement

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/shaquille-leonard-frustrated-with-role

Shaquille Leonard frustrated with role

excerpt from article:

...After missing 14 games in 2022 following back surgery, Leonard returned this season expecting to be the same player he was from 2018-21 when he earned four consecutive Pro Bowls and twice received All-Pro nods. Leonard, though, hasn’t been.

He has played 72 percent of the defensive plays, but after playing almost every play in his first four seasons, it’s not enough playing time to Leonard’s liking...

...In the three games last season and seven this season, Leonard has no sacks, no forced fumbles and no interceptions with 46 tackles and two tackles for loss...

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

If you don’t know words and reality don’t always match, well . . .

I'm not sure what you're talking about.   But Shaq is complaining about his usage.   Why would he do that if he is dodging contact?  Pretty simple question.   I'm not sure why you struggled with it. 

Just now, jvan1973 said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about.   But Shaq is complaining about his usage.   Why would he do that if he is dodging contact?  Pretty simple question.   I'm not sure why you struggled with it. 

Maybe now get this.  Maybe he isn’t playing as much cause he’s cruising and not laying the lumber?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s going to be him or Bradley or maybe both gone after the season. Throwing Bradley under the bus and not taking that to coaches privately is not good.

I think he might be right and just doesn’t fit the system. It’s just another thing where Bradley refuses to change.

I’m not a badly Bradley fan at all but I don’t run the team so I can’t fire him but I would if I could. 

Leonard has been our best overall LB based of PFF score when also taking pass coverage into consideration these last 2-3 weeks. Not that the defense has been any good to make that mean much, but just throwing that out there before people say he's been the weak point of the D. He's been playing slightly above average for an NFL ILB these last few weeks.

None of us know how much the injury is limiting him currently and if he is going to permanently capped at some point from his current recovery. But it is a good sign these last few weeks he's been at his best so far.

Is he worth his current contract next year? Well, that's a different topic that I don't think we'll have enough data to make until the off-season. Let's hope he continues his upwards trend.

• Like 1

Too many people here are using pff grades too much. I don’t think Leonard has made an impact play all year. Most starting lb’s have made a couple this year. Making a lot more of them than the average lb is what made him the player he was, he just isn’t that player now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

If he is only cruising and doesn't want to play,   why would he publicly say he isn't happy about playing more?  Pretty contradictory trains of thought.   

This is a easy one.

The $19M dollar man is embarrassed as heck being pulled off the field on passing downs. Getting interceptions was a huge part of his value. And the peanut punch. Minus those and he is and has been average.

He is headed to being fired after the season and probably not even getting $10M as a free agent. We messing with his $$$$!

• Like 2

I'd be more worried if guys are just content with their roles. It's a building season for Shaq and I am pretty sure as the performance increases so will the role, He has shown what he can do. Get back to that and snap count and involvement will grow. Sometimes you have to protect the player from themselves. I like hearing the frustration because that shows his want for more. 

“Dust in the wind. All we are is dust in the wind…”

I’ll still call you “Mr. Leonard,” Mr. Leonard.

I am still your #1 Fan in Arizona:rock:

My career will come to an end, soon.

I am no longer a regular in the CCU

where I work..that’s okay.

I don’t mind having the young folk being “gung ho”

to work in the CCU, but they soon learn that it can be very busy and depressing.

You may not be playing as much but when you are playing you are giving the best that you can. When I am working the CCU my patients are receiving the best care possible.

By the end of my shift, I have back, hip, foot and neck pain.

Let’s show everybody that we still can kick * and care about what we do.

As far as the fan’s complaints about you…well, that’s just how it is.

We are the Champions, my friend…and we’ll keep on fighting to the end…”

Go, Mr Leonard…because you still can!

And GO, FANS… because you still can!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mighty Blue said:

“Dust in the wind. All we are is dust in the wind…”

I’ll still call you “Mr. Leonard,” Mr. Leonard.

I am still your #1 Fan in Arizona

My career will come to an end, soon.

I am no longer a regular in the CCU

where I work..that’s okay.

I don’t mind having the young folk being “gung ho”

to work in the CCU, but they soon learn that it can be very busy and depressing.

You may not be playing as much but when you are playing you are giving the best that you can. When I am working the CCU my patients are receiving the best care possible.

By the end of my shift, I have back, hip, foot and neck pain.

Let’s show everybody that we still can kick * and care about what we do.

As far as the fan’s complaints about you…well, that’s just how it is.

We are the Champions, my friend…and we’ll keep on fighting to the end…”

Go, Mr Leonard…because you still can!

And GO, FANS… because you still can!

:woah:

He looks show and a shell of the former player he once was and is currently the highest-paid player at his position and the worst starting LB on the Colts. I love 53 but he's clearly not anywhere near the player he was a few years ago and with the amount of money he's currently making, I would be more than okay trading him if there's a team willing to fork over solid draft capital.