Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Deadline (MERGE)

sb41champs

Trade Deadline?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Colts Trade FOR a Player Before the Trade Deadline?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will the Colts TRADE a Player Away Before the Trade Deadline?

• Yes
    • No

On 10/21/2023 at 10:38 AM, NFLfan said:

Many of the young offensive minds do not seem to value the run game much, but the passing-dominated offense puts pressure on the defense and special teams. Good teams can use the run game and short passing game to get first downs and move the chains. That helps the defense to rest and takes time off the clock.  Nowadays, some teams are so enamored with passing that they abandon the run game altogether even when the situation calls for it (when taking time off the clock is most important). These offenses often go three and out, putting the defense back on the field rather than giving them a break.

I don't like the power running game or the passing-dominated game. I like a balance of passing and running.

I agree with your last statement.   However, the pass game can be used like the run for clock management purposes.

I won't pretend to know what is going on at West 56th Street, however, if the staff already kinda knows that we will not retain a few fella's on the last year of their deals, or where we have great depth, then I'd start there.......

Blackmon - has Cross waiting in the wings

Kenny Moore II - has decent trade value it seems based on his career and what he is doing this year

Mo Alie-Cox - With all of the talent in that room he seems like an easy target

Zack Moss - who wouldn't want the second leading rusher in the league

Those would likely be the four that I could see moved to a contender.

Could we then use the extra draft capitol to take a swipe at the often-rumored Jerry Jeudy? Perhaps.......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I won't pretend to know what is going on at West 56th Street, however, if the staff already kinda knows that we will not retain a few fella's on the last year of their deals, or where we have great depth, then I'd start there.......

Kenny Moore II - has decent trade value it seems based on his career and what he is doing this year

Could we then use the extra draft capitol to take a swipe at the often-rumored Jerry Jeudy? Perhaps.......

I can't see anyone trading for Allie-Cox with him making $6 million a year.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 10:49 AM, richard pallo said:

This is the perfect time for Ballard to do his Buckner thing.  Trade our 1st pick for a young starting player in a position of need.  Even if we have to add to the 1st pick I wouldn’t mind.  Surtain would be perfect.  A young WR to eventually play alongside AR.  Maybe an ER like Burns, Sweat or Chubb.  We are going to be facing some pretty good young quarterbacks in our division for a long time now.  So an experienced ER might be a good move.. We have our young quarterback as well.  So getting a difference maker at the deadline seems like a better use of our pick then hoping our 1st rd rookie is the answer.   That’s how I see it.  

There is literally zero chance the Colts make an in-season move and trade next year’s first round pick. What if they loose the rest of their games and are somehow in line for a top 3 pick?  Now you given a way the chance to take a true difference maker who would be on their rookie contract for 5 years for Surtain?

That would be an offense that gets you fired. 

Man, 8 years into the Ballard admin, you’d think a better understanding of how he works would have taken place by now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Didn't say he would, just saying he is a candidate since Woods is coming back, Ogletree's emergence and Granson/Mallory doing well as the move TE's....

I honestly think Allie-Cox would be gone if the Colts didn't get hit with the injury bug at TE throughout TC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

I can't see anyone trading for Allie-Cox with him making $6 million a year.

You see someone could trade for him because they have playoff hopes and a need.

His salary this season is $4.8 M. And would cost a team between $2.6 - $2.9m depending on games played in.

He has no guaranteed money for 2024, with a $5.4m salary and $30,000 per games played. 

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I would be surprised if they dealt Blackmon.  They finally have him in the correct position and he’s having a great year.  Cross hasn’t proved anything yet so he’s a real unknown.  We did trade Yah Sin during the offseason for a starter so you never know.  But that was during the offseason.  If we win Sunday I would be surprised if we were Sellers.  But for me Cox and Moss would make the most sense if they did decide to trade someone.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

I agree with your last statement.   However, the pass game can be used like the run for clock management purposes.

Yep, I acknowledged that when I wrote:

Good teams can use the run game and short passing game to get first downs and move the chains.

Passing for long yardage is nice but the probability of success is less and if the pass is not caught, it stops the clock.

22 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Are the Colts trying to trade Moss? I read that he is second in rushing after McCaffrey. He should be retained.

If we get a 4th rounder, I’d say yes. Anything worse, I’d pass. JT is healthy and it’s a chance I’m willing to take with the draft always providing good RB value.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Are the Colts trying to trade Moss? I read that he is second in rushing after McCaffrey. He should be retained.

No reports saying it.  Fan’s speculation because he’s going to be a free agent at the end of the year and they don’t think he will stay here.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No reports saying it.  Fan’s speculation because he’s going to be a free agent at the end of the year and they don’t think he will stay here.

More than just fan speculation tbh. Rumors for sure but beat writers seem to be all over it as well.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/zack-moss-trade-rumors-buccaneers-cowboys-browns-nfl-2023/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

More than just fan speculation tbh. Rumors for sure but beat writers seem to be all over it as well.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/zack-moss-trade-rumors-buccaneers-cowboys-browns-nfl-2023/

That’s purely speculation hardly a report that teams are talking a deal just that they think it would make sense.

I'll say this. Worst thing we can do is stand pat. If Ballard thinks we can contend, trade for a couple players. If he thinks we aren't contenders, sell anyone with value who is becoming a FA at the end of the year. I don't want to go through the trade deadline doing nothing, end the year with 6-8 wins, and lose a bunch of FA's that we could have got day 3 picks for to help us in the draft along with the fact that we would have had a higher draft pick had we traded them in the 1st place.

Second year corner and former 1st rd pick Kaiir Elam of the Bills is reportedly available for trade.  He is no longer in their plans apparently and was benched for 35 year old Josh Norman Thursday.  A player swap or a late round pick would probably do it.  He had a good rookie year but something went wrong this year.  The Bills would probably love to have Moss back. Maybe a change to a zone system might benefit Elam.  Just thinking out loud.

Can we move AP inside and make a play for DeAndre Hopkins, most of whose guaranteed money has been paid by TN? The state they’re in, they will take a 4th or 5th rounder from a division rival for him and we will get a one and a half year rental. He still knows to get open and clearly suffers from bad QB play. 

But then, if Levis lights it up with him, the door gets closed. 

Another player I used to like. Any room for Derek Barnett on our roster?

34 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Can we move AP inside and make a play for DeAndre Hopkins, most of whose guaranteed money has been paid by TN? The state they’re in, they will take a 4th or 5th rounder from a division rival for him and we will get a one and a half year rental. He still knows to get open and clearly suffers from bad QB play. 

Why would we do that for a guy that old. Any moves if we do make any will be looking towards the future. We might find a corner as a stop gap this year but it does no good bringing in a WR who is older.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Both players too old for me.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Titans aren’t going to trade him within the division.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38764370/titans-tell-derrick-henry-plan-trade-sources-say

Titans tell Derrick Henry they don't plan to trade him, sources say

The Tennessee Titans informed Derrick Henry this week that they don't plan to trade him despite receiving inquiries about the Pro Bowl running back, league sources told ESPN.

This doesn't mean he won't be traded by Tuesday's 4 p.m. ET deadline -- the Titans simply told Henry they don't intend to move him...

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/broncos-have-good-offer-for-jerry-jeudy-but-theyre-not-ready-to-take-it

From article above:

"Per a league source, the Broncos have a “good offer” in hand for receiver Jerry Jeudy. But the Broncos don’t like the offer that has been made for Jeudy to date.

Whether the offer improves remains to be seen. Much of it depends on what happens this weekend."

Have to think there is at least a decent chance we have an offer in there.

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38764370/titans-tell-derrick-henry-plan-trade-sources-say

Titans tell Derrick Henry they don't plan to trade him, sources say

The Tennessee Titans informed Derrick Henry this week that they don't plan to trade him despite receiving inquiries about the Pro Bowl running back, league sources told ESPN.

This doesn't mean he won't be traded by Tuesday's 4 p.m. ET deadline -- the Titans simply told Henry they don't intend to move him...

They also said they don’t intend to trade AJ Brown either lol 

16 hours ago, jskinnz said:

There is literally zero chance the Colts make an in-season move and trade next year’s first round pick. What if they loose the rest of their games and are somehow in line for a top 3 pick?  Now you given a way the chance to take a true difference maker who would be on their rookie contract for 5 years for Surtain?

That would be an offense that gets you fired. 

Man, 8 years into the Ballard admin, you’d think a better understanding of how he works would have taken place by now. 

Some people just ignore who Ballard is because they want a trade.  Richard loves his trades.  Always has always will.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, chad72 said:

Hopkins plays the way Pittman does and could make some plays as a rotational player. He is due $14M in 2024 so...

Pierce is going to be a good player. And Downs is already VG in the slot.

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Some people just ignore who Ballard is because they want a trade.  Richard loves his trades.  Always has always will.

Very true.  I take that as a compliment.  I believe the quickest way to improve your team is trading for a player.  I think Ballard believes that too.  Case in point Zach Moss a year ago.  Rock for Yannick two years ago.  Trading our 1st pick for Buckner was further back.  You build long term through the draft and hope your picks deliver but trading for players is also part of the formula for success.  Ballard has been successful when he does it more than not.  So for me winning today could make for an interesting Tuesday.  Here’s hoping.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Forget Jeudy, WRs are a dime a dozen in the draft. 

I would not be upset if we traded a 2 for Young or Sweat.  

WR1 are not a dime a dozen.  That’s why trading for Jeudy has merit.  I’m really hoping we trade for Surtain or Burns though.  Those two are stars in their prime.  A trade for either one would give off Buckner vibes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Forget Jeudy, WRs are a dime a dozen in the draft. 

I would not be upset if we traded a 2 for Young or Sweat.  

You might get your wish.  Bleacher Report is reporting that the Commanders are actively shopping Young and Sweat today before the game and are looking for a 2.  They have been offered a 3 up until now.  They are making calls and are not even waiting for today’s games to finish.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

WR1 are not a dime a dozen.  That’s why trading for Jeudy has merit.  I’m really hoping we trade for Surtain or Burns though.  Those two are stars in their prime.  A trade for either one would give off Buckner vibes.

The odds of finding a star/stud WR is the draft are exponentially better than finding a D lineman who’s a difference maker.  (My humble opinion)

12 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Rather than trading away our draft choices for players, it now seems we should be trying to acquire more draft picks

That would be my logic honestly.

We're way too hot/cold. This team isn't making a playoff run. Try and get whatever you can with players that could walk or aren't in your long term plans 

12 minutes ago, IinD said:

That would be my logic honestly.

We're way too hot/cold. This team isn't making a playoff run. Try and get whatever you can with players that could walk or aren't in your long term plans 

Based on what transpired in Minnesota, I might try and move Minshew to the Vikings. We have Sam and Kellen and this team needs to lose out, IMHO anyway. See if they would pony up a 3rd

Just now, Indeee said:

Based on what transpired in Minnesota, I might try and move Minshew to the Vikings. We have Sam and Kellen and this team needs to lose out, IMHO anyway. See if they would pony up a 3rd

I'm not a give up and wave the white flag type of guy, but you can see how the rest of this season will go so I'd legit look into any trades honestly.

Nobody is really untouchable on this team.

Maybe the Colts should make a play for Tee Higgins. In a contract year, not playing much today as the Bengals have been playing Irvin a lot today, which might be a sign they want to see what they have in Irvin so they can move tee. Who knows. Worth a look

• Like 1