Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Deadline (MERGE)

sb41champs

Trade Deadline?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Colts Trade FOR a Player Before the Trade Deadline?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will the Colts TRADE a Player Away Before the Trade Deadline?

• Yes
    • No

The NFL trade deadline is notorious for being the least active in sports.  You don’t see selloffs like you do in baseball (dead cap hits prevent that) and you don’t see teams trying to get another star player to make a run like you do in the NBA or NHL because again of the salary cap.  It’s also always full of rumors that hardly ever happen.  Yes one in a while you’ll see a move like the 49ers made for McCarthy last year but that’s the exception.  You might see the Colts make a move at most two (and I say that’s highly unlikely) but that’s probably going to be it.  I don’t see them trading picks to try to add to this roster and I don’t see them selling players off either.  It’s going to take another team making an offer they can’t refuse to get a deal done and you just don’t see that much in the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yeah 2nd in rushing and u extend Taylor for 14 million. Let that sink in for just a minute.

That's Irsay's need for Star power.  JT is the only thing that remotely keeps the Colts interesting in the eyes of the national media.  AR was promising but it wasn't enough.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The NFL trade deadline is notorious for being the least active in sports.  You don’t see selloffs like you do in baseball (dead cap hits prevent that) and you don’t see teams trying to get another star player to make a run like you do in the NBA or NHL because again of the salary cap.  It’s also always full of rumors that hardly ever happen.  Yes one in a while you’ll see a move like the 49ers made for McCarthy last year but that’s the exception.  You might see the Colts make a move at most two (and I say that’s highly unlikely) but that’s probably going to be it.  I don’t see them trading picks to try to add to this roster and I don’t see them selling players off either.  It’s going to take another team making an offer they can’t refuse to get a deal done and you just don’t see that much in the NFL.

Agreed.

Teams sell good players for mid to late round picks.  4th rounders or less.  We already have enough of those kinds of players on the team.

We need to hit on multiple first round picks.  Not just 1 top 10 pick this year.

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Jenny McCarthy? :p

For next year and beyond and this year too for that matter the Colts desperately need young playmakers at ER, CB and WR.  They are available at this year’s deadline.  For our 1st pick you could get Burns or Surtain.  For our second you could get Young or Sweat or Johnson or Higgins.  I’m not suggesting trading both picks but one of them could add another difference maker.  A young difference maker.  A proven player not a we hope he pans out rookie draft pick.  Hopefully Ballard is working the phones and brings one of these players in or another difference maker.  Doing nothing when an extraordinary opportunity presents itself is absolute negligence on his part imo.  Get going Chris.  4PM tomorrow will be here before you know it.

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

For next year and beyond and this year too for that matter the Colts desperately need young playmakers at ER, CB and WR.  They are available at this year’s deadline.  For our 1st pick you could get Burns or Surtain.  For our second you could get Young or Sweat or Johnson or Higgins.  I’m not suggesting trading both picks but one of them could add another difference maker.  A young difference maker.  A proven player not a we hope he pans out rookie draft pick.  Hopefully Ballard is working the phones and brings one of these players in or another difference maker.  Doing nothing when an extraordinary opportunity presents itself is absolute negligence on his part imo.  Get going Chris.  4PM tomorrow will be here before you know it.

Great.  Build the team with more Buckner transactions.  We'll run out of cap space very quickly with that route.

The value of the first and second round picks is that you might be able to get all-pro play in years 3 and 4 while still paying them rookie deals.  Then you can buy a vet or two at the trade deadline to bump your talent during a window.

We've never gotten to that point because our 1st and 2nd rounders have played like 3rd and 4ths, except for the few that have the injury bug coupled with high salaries.

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Great.  Build the team with more Buckner transactions.  We'll run out of cap space very quickly with that route.

The value of the first and second round picks is that you might be able to get all-pro play in years 3 and 4 while still paying them rookie deals.  Then you can buy a vet or two at the trade deadline to bump your talent during a window.

We've never gotten to that point because our 1st and 2nd rounders have played like 3rd and 4ths, except for the few that have the injury bug coupled with high salaries.

Might be able to get an all-pro player is what I don’t like.  Since we have a quarterback and LT on rookie deals the opportunity is perfect for trading for a Buckner type of player who is young and would be a foundation player right now.  No cap restraints.  That’s what great is.  The perfect situation to be in.  Before you have to pay the quarterback or LT.  That’s why the Bills traded for Diggs before they paid Allen.  We will see if Ballard is smart enough to follow suit.

25 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts could bring Parris back because they need another WR. What about Jackson?

What are the local Colts reporters saying about any trades that might happen involving the Colts. Anything new?

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Might be able to get an all-pro player is what I don’t like.  Since we have a quarterback and LT on rookie deals the opportunity is perfect for trading for a Buckner type of player who is young and would be a foundation player right now.  No cap restraints.  That’s what great is.  The perfect situation to be in.  Before you have to pay the quarterback or LT.  That’s why the Bills traded for Diggs before they paid Allen.  We will see if Ballard is smart enough to follow suit.

Aren't we maxed near the cap?  I assume if we make a trade like you propose its bye- bye Leonard this spring.  I think the time to do these trades is in the off season, like Buckner.  Then there is better vision into who you keep and don't.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Aren't we maxed near the cap?  I assume if we make a trade like you propose its bye- bye Leonard this spring.  I think the time to do these trades is in the off season, like Buckner.  Then there is better vision into who you keep and don't.

The two aren't connected at all.

Yes we are right against the cap this season, around $6m in space, but we have close to $64m(Spotrac)-$77m(OtC) going into next season.

Now it will go quick if locking up, Pittman, Stewart, Blackmon, Moore, Moss, but making a trade doesn't have anything correlation with whether we keep Leonard or not.

We might not keep him, but it won't be because we made a trade in the next 24 hours, if we do.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

The Colts have approximately 8.7m in space which is the 9th most in the league.  That was 1mil more than Seattle who just traded for Leonard Williams today.  I think we have the wherewithal to get a deal done if there’s a player they are after.

17 minutes ago, w87r said:

The two aren't connected at all.

Yes we are right against the cap this season, around $6m in space, but we have close to $64m(Spotrac)-$77m(OtC) going into next season.

Now it will go quick if locking up, Pittman, Stewart, Blackmon, Moore, Moss, but making a trade doesn't have anything correlation with whether we keep Leonard or not.

We might not keep him, but it won't be because we made a trade in the next 24 hours, if we do.

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The Colts have approximately 8.7m in space which is the 9th most in the league.  That was 1mil more than Seattle who just traded for Leonard Williams today.  I think we have the wherewithal to get a deal done if there’s a player they are after.

My point was that…..now that I see more details….is that with all of those players that need to be decisioned….as well as Leonard….. I think bringing another semi top notch player into the mix doesn’t help with that.  Ballard would sort of have to already decide which of the other players are last on his list but yet there is still half a season to play.  

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Just a thought. Supposedly Chase Young and Montez Sweat are on the trade block for 2nd rounders. Is offering the Commanders our 1st for both a bad deal? Is it a bad idea? I know Young has delt with injuries..

Too expensive imo.   Our first might gather a generational talent or two first round picks by itself in a trade down.

Does sweat generate more double teams than paye?

14 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Too expensive imo.   Our first might gather a generational talent or two first round picks by itself in a trade down.

Probably too expensive. We also have to consider their upcoming contracts.

Don't know, but they both grade out better as pass rushers than anyone we have on the team currently besides Buckner. They have more sacks than anyone we have. Young has generated 38 pressures (Sacks, Hits and Hurries) and Montez Sweat has 27. Our best guys have 19 and 18 (Ebukam and Buckner).

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Doesn’t guarantee a guy we draft will be good. I think that’s the point. Your getting a proven player.

22 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Just a thought. Supposedly Chase Young and Montez Sweat are on the trade block for 2nd rounders. Is offering the Commanders our 1st for both a bad deal? Is it a bad idea? I know Young has delt with injuries..

I would do it for a second rounder but colts have to be sure they will sign a long term extension. You don’t trade a second for 9 games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

If they are maxed near the cap, then they have spent a lot of dumb money for this type of performance. 

20 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It feels like you would be trading for two players who could and likely would  both leave in FA without an overpay. And with all the Colts’ own free agents to sign, an overpay doesn’t look likely. So you’ve traded for two players who won’t get you to the playoffs, both of whom might be gone next year, and you’ve lost your 1st round pick. 
I don’t do it. 

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Doesn’t guarantee a guy we draft will be good. I think that’s the point. Your getting a proven player.

I would do it for a second rounder but colts have to be sure they will sign a long term extension. You don’t trade a second for 9 games.

I think if we could get both for a 2nd that would be a steal if we could somehow get their contracts to fit under the cap.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

4 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

If they are maxed near the cap, then they have spent a lot of dumb money for this type of performance. 

I think a big chunck of our cap hit this season is Matt Ryan's ludicrous contract. @w87r?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t understand why the selling team does not see their good young player as part of their future.  Seems like they would have to replace them with the same draft pick you question.  

I think the only in season trade that makes sense is for a losing team to trade a productive vet to a winning team to rent for 9 games 

Like us trading Buckner.  We wont be acquiring.  We should be selling 

2 hours ago, w87r said:

They should let Moss go, especially if they are keeping Taylor.  

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I don’t understand why the selling team does not see their good young player as part of their future.  Seems like they would have to replace them with the same draft pick you question.  

I think the only in season trade that makes sense is for a losing team to trade a productive vet to a winning team to rent for 9 games 

Like us trading Buckner.  We wont be acquiring.  We should be selling 

Washington is caught between a rock and a hard place.  They love them both but they can only afford one of the two.  They both will be FA at the end of the season.  Moving one makes sense.  ER is a primary need for the Colts.  I would expect Ballard to be very interested in one of these players.  We have our quarterback and LT.  Go get the pass rusher.

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Very bad idea

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Probably be best to do right by him now, and let him get to a place he will be used.(more going forward)

For a 1st or high second, sure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No way should our first be involved in any trade for any player not named Mahomes 

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I guess we could get a 3rd maybe? At least a 4th, right?

Who knows? Wouldn't do it for less than a 4th though, for sure.

Probably a player for player swap or something? Maybe some kind of draft compensation?

• Like 2