Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Deadline (MERGE)

sb41champs

Trade Deadline?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Colts Trade FOR a Player Before the Trade Deadline?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will the Colts TRADE a Player Away Before the Trade Deadline?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Why would they give up a good player when they are looking for more good players.  Especially a DE for a RB?

They would then have to use our pick to replace Burns.   I would just draft a Moss in the 4th and keep Burns if I was CAR.

They are looking to acquire draft picks.  They have no 1st.  So they recoup a 1st and get a starter at RB.  They are in worse shape than we are.  Heck I would give them a day three pick too if that got the deal done.

• Like 1

A dive into Jaylon Johnson.

His prior 3 seasons do not match his 6 game 2023 fast start.

4.5 speed= Juju

Avg 15 per completion

+ 90% passer rating

12+% missed tackles

Flowers ran in the 4.3's and we desperately need at least one CB with that speed.

So i don't see CB giving up a good pick and paying serious $ for a 2nd Juju type player.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Carolina doesn't have a 1st round pick this year. So maybe they want a 1st rounder to use on another position. Like an O-Lineman which are a strength of the class next year.

The way I think of it, if the class is deep, then I can find good ones in round two and three. 

The formula for positional value says that you don't give up a very good DE for a RB and an olineman.  

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

A dive into Jaylon Johnson.

His prior 3 seasons do not match his 6 game 2023 fast start.

4.5 speed= Juju

Avg 15 per completion

+ 90% passer rating

12+% missed tackles

Flowers ran in the 4.3's and we desperately need at least one CB with that speed.

So i don't see CB giving up a good pick and paying serious $ for a 2nd Juju type player.

Tbh I think we would be in a very good place with another Juju type player at the other corner.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They are looking to acquire draft picks.  They have no 1st.  So they recoup a 1st and get a starter at RB.  They are in worse shape than we are.  Heck I would give them a day three pick too if that got the deal done.

Richard.  If Burns is considered to be a foundational player for a new series of years that would be captured by a new contract, a rebuilding team does not give up those players.  Young players heading into their prime they keep.  They trade the guys past their prime.  (or like Sweat and Buckner, where their teams could not keep two at the same position)

We have Buckner and Gilmore to trade, one we already did.  

In your scenario, a really good player on our roster that is proven, young, and still in his prime...comparable to Burns.....would be JT.   Would you offer JT in a trade?

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Richard.  If Burns is considered to be a foundational player for a new series of years that would be captured by a new contract, a rebuilding team does not give up those players.  Young players heading into their prime they keep.  They trade the guys past their prime.  (or like Sweat and Buckner, where their teams could not keep two at the same position)

We have Buckner and Gilmore to trade, one we already did.  

In your scenario, a really good player on our roster that is proven, young, and still in his prime...comparable to Burns.....would be JT.   Would you offer JT in a trade?

Of course not.  We are in a much better  position than Carolina.  It’s not even close and we have our draft picks.  That comparison makes no sense.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Of course not.  We are in a much better  position than Carolina.  It’s not even close and we have our draft picks.  That comparison makes no sense.

We would not have our draft picks if you gave them our 1st. 

You think CAR needs more draft picks than us?  If their QB was any good, they'd be a WR away and one of many RBs available this spring from contending for their Division.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

If he gets to be an RB1 somewhere after this season, I get a late Round 3 compensatory pick. Or a Late Round 4 compensatory pick. Unless he gets something in return before the end of Round 4, pure numbers says no cigar. Nothing more, nothing less. :) 

CMC went for a 3rd and a 4th, I think. No one is going to pony up much for Moss. More valuable to us if we let it play out.

Chad….

FWIW….    McCaffrey was traded for four draft picks, not two.    A 2, 3, and 4, in the 23 draft and a 5 in next year's draft.  

San Fran paid a good price for an in-season deal…. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Chad….

FWIW….    McCaffrey was traded for four draft picks, not two.    A 2, 3, and 4, in the 23 draft and a 5 in next year's draft.  

San Fran paid a good price for an in-season deal…. 

Thanks!!! He was an all purpose back w.r.t running, catching and doing everything.

Both Moss and JT have limitations in the pass catching department, so that is why I doubt we get a Day 2 pick or a 4th rounder for Moss. Unless we get a 4th rounder, it would be hard to part with him, IMO.

Most "experts" have us as sellers. Why? Because contracts on guys like Leonard and Kelly are to expensive for what we're getting from them on the field. Problem is everyone we'd like to get a player from knows those contracts are too high. So, we'll be unloading any cap space saving players we can and getting almost nothing in return...if we make any moves at all. This is/has been Ballard's weakness from day one. Drafts well but pays to much when the rookie contracts are up. Then we end up with a guy who's production/value/trade-ability frequently plummets.

I didn't expect us to trade for anybody.

What was the Main Goal of this year?  To get AR his playing time.  Well, now that he's out, he's not going to do that.

But what was the secondary goal for this year?  In my mind, it was to give all the young players as much playing time as they could handle.  And if we go out and trade for a veteran (say, a corner), then when our injured corner gets back, that leaves less playing time for everybody.

Yes, I understand that we're going to lose games because we've got a guy starting who should be working at Home Depot.

But I still think our Secondary Goal stands.  Get our young guys all the playing time they can take.  We weren't supposed to win more than 6 or 7 games anyway this year.  We're still on track for that.  Which makes us pick between 9 and 14.

We're the 2022 Pacers.  We're not supposed to win -- yet.  We're supposed to get more good players next year.

Don't take your eyes off the ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

People don’t understand this but teams do try and do what’s best for their players. Sensing him to a team ready to win the SB.

Sure, but they first try to do what’s good for their team.  A Colts 3 is better than a 49ers 3.  I would have given a 2. 

Ballards refusing to improve the team tells us what we all suspected.   It’s tank time.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

We should try to get McLaurin for a 3rd. (I know, probably to cheap) 

They might as well go back to Carson Wentz, lol :), you know, the guy we got a 3rd rounder in return from them for. 

First, we thought the Broncos might have that garage sale but it is looking like the Commanders might be strong front runners for it. 

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Off topic, but do we know if Ballard is going to have a presser anytime soon @Restinpeacesweetchloe?

Haven’t heard. I don’t think he usually does.

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Sure, but they first try to do what’s good for their team.  A Colts 3 is better than a 49ers 3.  I would have given a 2. 

Ballards refusing to improve the team tells us what we all suspected.   It’s tank time.  

We aren’t a competing team yet. These are the moves a team who is SB ready makes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Haven’t heard. I don’t think he usually does.

We aren’t a competing team yet. These are the moves a team who is SB ready makes.

And how do you become a competing team?  First by addressing your weak points.  Like not having a pass rush, and constantly failing to improve it in the draft. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Probably a rental for a one time SB run this year.

Id be ok if we paid him in FA lol.  He’s 24 and we can give him a fat contract through his prime years.  Hopefully he goes for the money and not the opportunity to compete lol

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

And how do you become a competing team?  First by addressing your weak points.  Like not having a pass rush, and constantly failing to improve it in the draft. 

exactly, I’m all for being reserved building the foundation first.  But Ballard is in year 8.  Yes, we finally have a qb who will be here for a while but he’s been building the foundation for years.  If we’re going to be reserved after getting our franchise qb then we should’ve gone FULL rebuild mode and not a soft one.

• Thanks 1

Just now, smittywerb said:

exactly, I’m all for being reserved building the foundation first.  But Ballard is in year 8.  Yes, we finally have a qb who will be here for a while but he’s been building the foundation for years.  If we’re going to be reserved after getting our franchise qb then we should’ve gone FULL rebuild mode and not a soft one.

Definition of mediocrity is doing just enough but never enough, over and over again....Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

• Like 1