Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Deadline (MERGE)

sb41champs

Trade Deadline?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Colts Trade FOR a Player Before the Trade Deadline?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will the Colts TRADE a Player Away Before the Trade Deadline?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Chicago could make that trade far more easily as they took in a huge haul from Carolina in their trade.   

Also Sweat has a heart condition.   If the Colts rejected him 4 years ago, I doubt the Colts team doctor would change his mind.  

Just sayin…. 

yeah but how many 2nd round picks have been used on pass rushers? Can bring in a guy that can produce 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

He is young and we can get him for a 4th rounder, at worst, since our 4th rounder would be high enough, and a 5th rounder at best. Or do a 4th and 6th if they insist on a Day 2 pick.

Did you guys see the Seahawks getting Leonard Williams from the Giants for a 3rd and a 5th?

I heard it was a 2nd and a 5th.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Damn.  Here we sit at the half way point with Kwity.   Anyone know how many sacks or hits he has at the half way point?  I'm guessing not a lot.  His primary role is to get after the quarterback.  Which he does not do consistently.  Oh well.  Ballard still has some time to do something.  ER, CB, WR ? The fans would be estactic if you did anything to show us you are alive.  

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Damn.  Here we sit at the half way point with Kwity.   Anyone know how many sacks or hits he has at the half way point?  I'm guessing not a lot.  His primary role is to get after the quarterback.  Which he does not do consistently.  Oh well.  Ballard still has some time to do something.  ER, CB, WR ? The fans would be estactic if you did anything to show us you are alive.  

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Did u think that Ballard would trade for Sweat?. Remember, he passed on him when RE was a glaring need and   then traded back to draft Sin. To trade for him would be another reminder of how poor a drafter Ballard actually is. His ego wouldn't allow it!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything. And that could be a telling sign that he's expecting the team to continue to struggle and we're moving on to next season. 

I say could, because Ballard could be on the phone trying to work deals and it's just not happening. 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Did u think that Ballard would trade for Sweat?. Remember, he passed on him when RE was a glaring need and   then traded back to draft Sin. To trade for him would be another reminder of how poor a drafter Ballard actually is. His ego wouldn't allow it!!!

You’re probably right.  Sweat proved himself though but his ego would most likely prevent the trade for him.  I think he’s going to disappoint today unfortunately.

12 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Dear God!

Ballard didn’t draft Sweat for the same reason roughly half of the NFL didn’t…. 

Sweat had a heart condition.   That’s why a guy projected to be a top-10 pick fell to pick 26. 

And those decisions about who decides on guys with heart conditions are left to the team doctor and the owner.   Because those are the guys who get sued if you draft him and something goes wrong.  That decision is not left to the GM.   

In short, everything you wrote in your post is false.    Goodness gracious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

15 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The difference here though is that I don't think CHI has invested a first rounder in the guy they are starting now.  I'm not a big fan of Ballard's way, but I'm not going to put every thing back on him.

This makes sense for CHI if they don't have a guy they invested in.  For IND, what would we do with Paye and Dayo once Sweat comes on board (with a huge starters extension too)?  I guess make them purely rotational players.

I don't think ANY GM would be ready to do that yet.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God!

Sweat had a heart condition.   That’s why a guy projected to be a top-10 pick fell to pick 26. 

And those decisions about who decides on guys with heart conditions are left to the team doctor and the owner.   Because those are the guys who get sued if you draft him and something goes wrong.  That decision is not left to the GM.   

I think that condition was debunked pretty early after he was drafted.  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God!

He’s played in 68 games. With no issues. Wouldn’t you take that into account? 

2 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I’d like to see Ballard grab a CB. For christs sake. 

We all would, but I don't see it happening. He drafted 3 and is expecting them to cut teeth and struggle while they learn. That means we're in for more losses this year. 

I don't see the Bears going anywhere, and their swing for Chase Claypool with a 2nd rounder was a miss. Now, they swing for Montez Sweat with a 2nd rounder, let us see how it goes, probably not far till they get their QB sorted out. So, there is a good chance they trade back with one of their first rounders to gain a second in the 2024 draft, IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I’d like to see Ballard grab a CB. For christs sake. 

The only person I want at the deadline is Jaylon Johnson. Other than that, sell pieces off for picks. Offer the Bears a 3rd rounder. Include Zack Moss if you have too as it seems their rbs aren't working out. 

Just now, chad72 said:

I don't see the Bears going anywhere, and their swing for Chase Claypool with a 2nd rounder was a miss. Now, they swing for Montez Sweat with a 2nd rounder. So, there is a good chance they trade back with one of their first rounders to gain a second, IMO.

Sweat isn't really a quick bendy guy anyway, IIRC.  More of an effort/strength DE.  More results than Paye, but not a whole lot different.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The only person I want at the deadline is Jaylon Johnson. Other than that, sell pieces off for picks. Offer the Bears a 3rd rounder. Include Zack Moss if you have too as it seems their rbs aren't working out. 

Moss is the best RB insurance in the league for an RB paid $14 million a year, unless someone wows me with a Day 2 pick, you don't trade him.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The difference here though is that I don't think CHI has invested a first rounder in the guy they are starting now.  I'm not a big fan of Ballard's way, but I'm not going to put every thing back on him.

This makes sense for CHI if they don't have a guy they invested in.  For IND, what would we do with Paye and Dayo once Sweat comes on board (with a huge starters extension too)?  I guess make them purely rotational players.

No, it wasn’t.   That’s why he fell to pick 26.    Sweats agent got a doctor to say the NFL doctors report done at the combine was wrong.   Is that surprising?   

If it had truly been debunked, he would’ve been taken top-10 where was originally projected.   But he fell all the way to 26.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sweat isn't really a quick bendy guy anyway, IIRC.  More of an effort/strength DE.  More results than Paye, but not a whole lot different.

The fact that the Commanders got close to what they paid for him (No.26 originally versus the Bears 2nd rounder in the 34-38 range most likely) makes it a GREAT trade for the Commanders, IMO. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Kwity is a good rotational player I’m my mind.  So if we bring in an alpha ER that’s where he goes.  Just read an interesting article about Carolina at the deadline.  They are open for business and are very disappointed in their running back room.  I would offer them Moss and our 1st for Burns and see if that would work for them.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Moss is the best RB insurance in the league for an RB paid $14 million a year, unless someone wows me with a Day 2 pick, you don't trade him.

Does it matter if we aren't contending? He's a FA at the end of the season. Either extend him or trade him IMO. If he can be a piece to get an elite CB, then I'm doing it 10 out of 10 times. 

48 minutes ago, Kemisk said:

Yup Ballard should have made that trade. 34.5 career sacks 

Sweat is a Free agent in 2024, so basically the bears traded a 2nd round pick for a guy they will have to franchise tag, give a big contract, or lose this coming offseason. This trade may end up like the chase Claypool trade the bears did last year. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kemisk said:

He’s played in 68 games. With no issues. Wouldn’t you take that into account? 

No.   Because you never know when something could happen.   The fact that nothing has happened so far doesn’t mean nothing will ever happen.   Health is strange that way. 

Plus, it’s not my call.   It’s the call if the team doctor who decides such things. 

43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Chicago could make that trade far more easily as they took in a huge haul from Carolina in their trade.   

Also Sweat has a heart condition.   If the Colts rejected him 4 years ago, I doubt the Colts team doctor would change his mind.  

Just sayin…. 

It's said da Bears will have $105M Cap for 2024 and Sweat surely will get $20+ ,M per.

36 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It’s interesting watching the Bears make this move. I think Ballard’s reason for not making a move like this is he thinks we’re a couple years away from contending. But, in my opinion, the Bears are further away than we are?

Don’t have any sources or anything, purely my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No, it wasn’t.   That’s why he fell to pick 26.    Sweats agent got a doctor to say the NFL doctors report done at the combine was wrong.   Is that surprising?   

If it had truly been debunked, he would’ve been taken top-10 where was originally projected.   But he fell all the way to 26.  

Wasn't that before the draft...between the combine and the draft.   I meant the heart thing was debunked shortly after he drafted and fell.

I'm just saying that the heart thing is no reason not to pursue him now.  Why Ballard passed on him back then doesn't exist anymore (if we even know it was the heart...it could have been simply bad player eval).  There are other reasons to not have pursued him at this point, but I don't think the heart report is one of them now.

Just now, Solid84 said:

It’s interesting watching the Bears make this move. I think Ballard’s reason for not making a move like this is he thinks we’re a couple years away from contending. But, in my opinion, the Bears are further away than we are?

Don’t have any sources or anything, purely my opinion. 

The Bears have cap space, and this is how they want to use it. Very similar to the Buckner trade for us a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Sweat is a Free agent in 2024, so basically the bears traded a 2nd round pick for a guy they will have to franchise tag, give a big contract, or lose this coming offseason. This trade may end up like the chase Claypool trade the bears did last year. 

My thoughts exactly!!! Bears lucked into that No.1 pick, otherwise their trading habits make it seem like their GM is generous with his side of the trade. No one in their right minds gives up a 2nd rounder for Claypool drafted late Round 2 by the Steelers originally, not when the only 1st rounders were offered to elite tier guys like DaVante Adams and Tyreek Hill, and the Bears draft pick ended up at No.34 for the Steelers, a steal, as close to a 1st rounder as you could get.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I get what you’re saying, but Ballard is also the kind of GM who wants to do right by his players. I think Moss wants a chance to be RB1. 

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I get what you’re saying, but Ballard is also the kind of GM who wants to do right by his players. I think Moss wants a chance to be RB1. 

If he gets to be an RB1 somewhere after this season, I get a late Round 3 compensatory pick. Or a Late Round 4 compensatory pick. Unless he gets something in return before the end of Round 4, pure numbers says no cigar. Nothing more, nothing less. :) 

CMC went for a 3rd and a 4th, I think. No one is going to pony up much for Moss. More valuable to us if we let it play out.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Kwity is a good rotational player I’m my mind.  So if we bring in an alpha ER that’s where he goes.  Just read an interesting article about Carolina at the deadline.  They are open for business and are very disappointed in their running back room.  I would offer them Moss and our 1st for Burns and see if that would work for them.

Why would they give up a good player when they are looking for more good players.  Especially a DE for a RB?

They would then have to use our pick to replace Burns.   I would just draft a Moss in the 4th and keep Burns if I was CAR.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If he gets to be an RB1 somewhere after this season, I get a late Round 3 compensatory pick. Or a Late Round 4 compensatory pick. Unless he gets something in return before the end of Round 4, pure numbers says no cigar. Nothing more, nothing less. :) 

True. I guess we’d want at least a 3rd then. 

• Like 2

Just now, DougDew said:

Why would they give up a good player when they are looking for more good players.  Especially a DE for a RB?

They would then have to use our pick to replace Burns.   I would just draft a Moss in the 4th and keep Burns if I was CAR.

Carolina doesn't have a 1st round pick this year. So maybe they want a 1st rounder to use on another position. Like an O-Lineman which are a strength of the class next year.

• Like 1