Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AR vs Young vs Stroud vs Levis

csmopar

On 10/30/2023 at 8:21 PM, DougDew said:
On 10/30/2023 at 8:21 PM, DougDew said:

Levis was 18/28 I think I read.  Aside from those 4 TD passes, he had a typical meh rookie first day passing, IMO. 

that doesn’t make any sense! It’s like saying a qb had a mah day aside from the 4 interceptions he threw. Rd passes and interceptions are the biggest part of how a qb does! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, husker61 said:

If a colts qb had a first game like that, all you would be reading here would be he could be the next luck or manning. 

For any QB that we get, in order for me to think they may be the next Manning or Luck, they have to have at least 2 very good to great years. Some people for some reason want to put a QB in the Hall of Fame when they have had 1 great game. Look at Brock Purdy now, the last 3 weeks he has played poorly. First 10 starts he had, some people were saying he was Joe Montana Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For any QB that we get, in order for me to think they may be the next Manning or Luck, they have to have at least 2 very good to great years. Some people for some reason want to put a QB in the Hall of Fame when they have had 1 great game. Look at Brock Purdy now, the last 3 weeks he has played poorly. First 10 starts he had, some people were saying he was Joe Montana Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

and you are gushing over Richardson, who hasn’t really done anything as a colt for one game.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, husker61 said:

that doesn’t make any sense! It’s like saying a qb had a mah day aside from the 4 interceptions he threw. Rd passes and interceptions are the biggest part of how a qb does! 

I was just offering my thoughts on what the PSR rating might be looking at.  TEN did not really move the chains through the air with short passes like so many offenses do in 2023.  They have Derrick Henry for that part....which replaces the QB throwing for 4 yard gains on first down.  And when Henry got stuffed...which is a lot of the time because he's an up the gut RB..it put TEN in 3rd and longish and they punted a lot...IMO.

Compared to modern offense that have their QBs be the do-everything superhero and QBR graded to favor those QBs......Levis wasn't that.  He simply threw 3 TDs from midfield...whatever that's worth.

Its a case where stats are measured for certain things and leave out other things.  Example, Levis did not throw for FD with the passing game, but, he reportedly checked into running plays that got first downs twice....so its a favorable thing for a QB but I don't know if the analytics guys have developed a stat for that.  IMO, it should bump up his PSR...because TEN got 2 FDs by Levis choosing to call running plays instead of short passes.   

• Like 1

Levis had a historic first game but I think everyone who plays TN has to load up to stop Henry.  The deep ball has always been there but their OL and QB have not been able to hold up.  Levis clearly has a cannon and Hopkins can still play.  I expect the rookie to come back to Earth tomorrow night with Pitts DL on TN OL.  

One game does not a career make.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Was there seriously another thread made for this with an entire book typed up about Levis vs the Falcons? Good freaking God. 

No.  It was merged.

We've had three pages discussing the others, so why so upset about one page discussing the fourth at this point?

Disparity between performance vs expectations is always more interesting than the players who ho-hum play how SM expected, 

IIRC about expectations, Levis dropped to the second round after once being rated as the number one prospect ( I think Kiper never backed off of that ranking  until really late)....so Levis is going to simply be more interesting to talk about as long as he plays well, IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Richardson looked good in his playing time. 7 Rushing and Passing TD's in limited playing time. He is not polished but I feel he will be formidable if he can stay healthy  

I agree,

I think so regarding your post. Compared to what we have had since Rivers, AR was a breath of fresh air compared to Wentz and Ryan. Last I looked this is a Colts Site, so pointing out when he played well and being happy about it, should be ok?

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Last I looked this is a Colts Site, so pointing out when he played well and being happy about it, should be ok?

Do you mean "okay" as in not triggering arguments?  I think its okay, but that's one person's opinion.

Do you see the difference between what that post says and another post that might 1) Claim that AR would be the elixir for our losing season if he just kept playing? 

I think 1) is the same as other posts that might 2) Claim that Levis is the next Dan Marino because he kinda looked like him in one game.

I think folks who like to argue see 1 as being okay but see 2 as offensive....which is especially argumentative because 2 hasn't even happened and is a complete fabrication.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

10 games is a good sample size.  Maybe's he's had a few off games, but I think he still processes pretty well.  Curious to see how he finishes the year.

36 minutes ago, husker61 said:

Bases on a very small sample size, would you trade Richardson for levis straight up right now? Nether is a proven nfl qb, but I would do that trade.

AR has been pretty much as advertised, with better accuracy than advertised.  But has been way less durable than expected from a 6'4" 250 pound guy.   That wasn't even a consideration last spring and is a complete surprise to the negative.

Levis was pretty much as advertised, mentally NFL ready with long-arm passing, but better than advertised by showing pocket calmness and not throwing picks.  That can change quickly though.   He seemed to hold up to NFL tackles. 

With the very small sample size, I think they are closer to each other now than what many thought on draft day.

I think it comes down to which type of offense is preferred.  

Part of why there are more AR types of offenses is because college isn't producing the QBs like Levis.  So a legit question is whether a truly good QB like that (not saying he is) in that kind of offense is better than the Purdy/Hurts type of offense.   

I think the trade comes down to preferences and how easy it is to build a roster around those two different types of QBs.  Frankly, I think our offense is currently built more to favor a QB like what Levis did.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DougDew said:

Do you mean "okay" as in not triggering arguments?  I think its okay, but that's one person's opinion.

Do you see the difference between what that post says and another post that might 1) Claim that AR would be the elixir for our losing season if he just kept playing? 

I think 1) is the same as other posts that might 2) Claim that Levis is the next Dan Marino because he kinda looked like him in one game.

I think folks who like to argue see 1 as being okay but see 2 as offensive....which is especially argumentative because 2 hasn't even happened and is a complete fabrication.

I think a lot of times, some don't get my sarcasm in here or they just misunderstand what I post, or maybe they liked to debate me because I have a lot of football knowledge? I really don't know.

Because before the season started, I clearly said that Young and Stroud would be the best QB's coming out on numerous threads. I was just happy we chose AR over Levis which over half the forum was. Levis just gave me a bad vibe with his attitude + I watched him play last year quite a bit and he was average to me. My uncle who is a huge KY fan - basketball and football, he lives in KY told me that he thought Levis would be a bust. He watched every game Levis played. He is a Titans fan and didn't like the pick. I liked AR's ceiling more than Levis's. IMO, when AR did play, he looked better than I thought he would, good at times. Many others think so as well. Injuries are the concern. 

With me it is not about being wrong or right, if Levis turns out good, I will eat crow and admit he is good. So far Young has struggled, so I have been wrong about him. Having said all of that, I just think it is silly to judge any QB on a small sample size. For me to be convinced that a QB is the real deal, he needs to have back to back (2) seasons playing very good to great football. Any QB can even have 1 great season and then play terrible the next, see RG3. Another example is a QB like Purdy, yes 10 very good to great games but look at his last 3 weeks. When I say stuff like, Levis is Dan Marino, I am just basically being sarcastic to the people that are saying we should have drafted him over AR instead, based on 1 game. I hope I explained things better for you.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think a lot of times, some don't get my sarcasm in here or they just misunderstand what I post, or maybe they liked to debate me because I have a lot of football knowledge? I really don't know.

Because before the season started, I clearly said that Young and Stroud would be the best QB's coming out on numerous threads. I was just happy we chose AR over Levis which over half the forum was. Levis just gave me a bad vibe with his attitude + I watched him play last year quite a bit and he was average to me. My uncle who is a huge KY fan - basketball and football, he lives in KY told me that he thought Levis would be a bust. He watched every game Levis played. He is a Titans fan and didn't like the pick. I liked AR's ceiling more than Levis's. IMO, when AR did play, he looked better than I thought he would, good at times. Many others think so as well. Injuries are the concern. 

With me it is not about being wrong or right, if Levis turns out good, I will eat crow and admit he is good. So far Young has struggled, so I have been wrong about him. Having said all of that, I just think it is silly to judge any QB on a small sample size. For me to be convinced that a QB is the real deal, he needs to have back to back (2) seasons playing very good to great football. Any QB can even have 1 great season and then play terrible the next, see RG3. Another example is a QB like Purdy, yes 10 very good to great games but look at his last 3 weeks. When I say stuff like, Levis is Dan Marino, I am just basically being sarcastic to the people that are saying we should have drafted him over AR instead, based on 1 game. I hope I explained things better for you.

Well, I don't want to talk about Levis exclusively, so just to wrap it up for me. 

I thought Levis had all of the tools of an NFL QB to be the number 1 pick in the draft (agreed with Kiper) but also had a bit of an overconfident/ego thing...on the field...that caused him to play hero ball and make a ton of unforced errors....aided by the fact that his team kinda stunk too.   

Just based upon his play in that one game, and his reactions, he seemed a lot more humbled, mature, and relaxed (doesn't have to "win" every series).  If he keeps that up I think he really has the potential for a great career.  He really does have all of the traits, as well as the training in an NFL style of offense. 

The mayo thing was just the SM bullies who already hated him just looking for something, IMO.

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, I don't want to talk about Levis exclusively, so just to wrap it up for me. 

I thought Levis had all of the tools of an NFL QB to be the number 1 pick in the draft (agreed with Kiper) but also had a bit of an overconfident/ego thing...on the field...that caused him to play hero ball and make a ton of unforced errors....aided by the fact that his team kinda stunk too.   

Just based upon his play in that one game, and his reactions, he seemed a lot more humbled, mature, and relaxed (doesn't have to "win" every series).  If he keeps that up I think he really has the potential for a great career.  He really does have all of the traits, as well as the training in an NFL style of offense. 

The mayo thing was just the SM bullies who already hated him just looking for something, IMO.

Oh, by the way, I am the reason why Levis was added to the thread title. I requested it to a MOD. I felt like it was a necessary because he did play great Sunday and he may start the rest of the season. I would start him over Tannehill but that is just me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Going to bed at half so things could change drastically but Levis looks great right now.

Yeah I'm a homer at heart and was like ...uggh man, he could be decent, sucks for my team. He seems to be competent.

Hoping he's (Levis) a dud obviously...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IinD said:

Yeah I'm a homer at heart and was like ...uggh man, he could be decent, sucks for my team. He seems to be competent.

Hoping he's (Levis) a dud obviously...

If the AFCS ends up 4/4 with young QBs, I'm going to be a happy man, this division has been the laughing stock too long.

Obviously AR will be the best of the bunch :)

• Like 6

When assessing these rookie QB's, let's keep it fair. Block out who you wanted in the draft or who you like and just judge what you see on the field. It is not about being right or wrong, assess each game as they play.

I will just do AR vs Levis,

My assessment of AR:

Game 1, Jacks - he played average.

Game 2, at Houston - he played good until he left with a concussion. 

Game 3, at Baltimore - did not play due to injury. No grade.

Game 4, Rams - he played average. he had a bad 1st half, great 2nd half.

Game 5, Titans - he played good but left with a shoulder injury.

-Out for the season. Overall grade =  above average but his injuries are a concern.

My assessment of Levis:

Games 1-6 - did not play. Coaches' choice. No grade.

Game 7, Falcons - he played great.

Game 8, at Pittsburgh - he played average tonight.

-Overall grade = above average simply because we only have 2 games to judge him on and 1 of them was average. He has 6 no grades. 

To me between those 2, it is way too early to tell who will be better. These are my unbiased opinions/assessments, and I wanted AR before the draft. We have a long way to go to fully judge AR because he won't be able to play until next season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nancy said:

One thing about Levis - he's healthy and he's playing! 

Sexy Paris Saint Germain GIF

Mine well other are trying to convince themselves AR isn’t made of the same stuff Bob Sanders was made of GLASS! He can also throw the football well unlike Mr Still learning. 

• Like 1

We might have to put Aiden O'Connell on here as well since he might be the starter for the rest of the way. Maybe Jaren Hall too. 

Seriously, this season has to be a record for so many rookie QBs starting this season. And if even half of them have mild success, we could be looking at one of the best draft classes in years. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When assessing these rookie QB's, let's keep it fair. Block out who you wanted in the draft or who you like and just judge what you see on the field. It is not about being right or wrong, assess each game as they play.

I will just do AR vs Levis,

My assessment of AR:

Game 1, Jacks - he played average.

Game 2, at Houston - he played good until he left with a concussion. 

Game 3, at Baltimore - did not play due to injury. No grade.

Game 4, Rams - he played average. he had a bad 1st half, great 2nd half.

Game 5, Titans - he played good but left with a shoulder injury.

-Out for the season. Overall grade =  above average but his injuries are a concern.

My assessment of Levis:

Games 1-6 - did not play. Coaches' choice. No grade.

Game 7, Falcons - he played great.

Game 8, at Pittsburgh - he played average tonight.

-Overall grade = above average simply because we only have 2 games to judge him on and 1 of them was average. He has 6 no grades. 

To me between those 2, it is way too early to tell who will be better. These are my unbiased opinions/assessments, and I wanted AR before the draft. We have a long way to go to fully judge AR because he won't be able to play until next season.

The Colts drafted the right guy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

The Colts drafted the right guy.

I think so, nothing against Will Levis but I think AR has a higher ceiling. Problem in here with some posters that wanted Levis, if you criticized Levis at all you are looked at like a hater. How anyone can say Levis played good last night is baffling. He completed 56% of his passes and didn't have a TD passing or running. He also had the game ending pick. If that is someone's definition of good, it doesn't take much to please someone. If AR had a game like that, some in here would be bashing him. I am not going to say someone played good or bad just because I am not a fan or fan of them. I keep it real, I thought Levis played great vs the Falcons for example.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 11:57 AM, husker61 said:

Bases on a very small sample size, would you trade Richardson for levis straight up right now? Nether is a proven nfl qb, but I would do that trade.

I'd make the trade.   First, a QB has to be playing to benefit the team.  AR has missed too much time for me to be confident he will be the QB of this team for years to come.

• Like 2