Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Bears postgame thread

GoColts8818

3 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Nope. They played “fair”…but you can go back and rewatch and even the commentators were saying that the O-line was having a lot of trouble protecting the QB. They mentioned it several times in a row as I recall.

I walked away not really impressed by anyone on the backup oline last night.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

21 for Colts

38 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Get off your highhorse.  He was atrocious last night.

At least you've moved your comment base from he's awful in general to he was atrocious last night.

"He was atrocious last night" would of been much better than the broader statement that "he's awful" in general. Perhaps, "he played awful last night", even? Maybe, "I haven't been very impressed with him so far"

The guy is still a rookie and trying to learn a new system, adjust to NFL speed while having to battle for reps to improve. Might take a little bit.

You've seen him in 59 live action snaps(defensive )in preseason, if you were paying attention to him specifically. He may ultimately end up being "awful", however it's to early to come to that conclusion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Freeland will start this season.

Scary thought with how he has looked so far, but I think come week 10 he will be in much better spot to contribute. Hopefully he isn't needed before then, and hopefully he isn't needed then either.

Just be ready when he is called upon though.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, w87r said:

Scary thought with how he has looked so far, but I think come week 10 he will be in much better spot to contribute. Hopefully he isn't needed before then, and hopefully he isn't needed then either.

Just be ready when he is called upon though.

It's great that he will have a alert, highly mobile QB. :hat:

Certainly hope Raimann plays every snap this season.

I thought he had a lot of good snaps in game one at RT. Were he and Fries locked in mentally, uh no. I'm solidly hopeful for Freeland long term.

I mean I watched Diem 4-5 seasons till he got pretty good. All those false starts!

17 hours ago, w87r said:

The clock is ticking.

Either he will be playing week 1 or will be out minimum of 6 games.

Gonna have to decide what he wants to do. Good chance he sees all his money this year if he keeps on the injury angle and doesn't play.

Although I would think that the Colts could take that to arbitration and win.

And yeah Taylor and his agent played it completely wrong.

Should've came back took physical and showed he was healthy and then actually held out, if he didn't get his bag.

The injury angle was a bad one. Now team has concerns about health (if true), no extension even if they were planning on offering one, and he wants traded, but is hurt (allegedly), so value is perceived to be low.

Wasn't well thought out of and is rather disappointing.

I would of been much more understanding at the healthy holdout.

The one question has hasn't been asked  ia this. How do u think Irsay feels if Taylor was concelaing an injury and w he wanted an extension?

16 hours ago, w87r said:

My thoughts exactly.

Hopefully we can get a player or late pic swap for him.

He has a lot of guys nipping at his heels, he needed to be healthy this camp and hold his spot.

Cox - $5.3m cap hit

Granson - $1.12m

Woods - $1.22m

Ogletree - $795k

Mallory - $823k

Total - $3.958 cap hit

All 4 of these guys have a total cap hit lower than Cox's.

Tough to justify keeping him.

However, he is probably the only legit blocking te of the group. Need someone you block or u cannot run a lot of plays and Richardson will get killed

58 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We have basically one healthy TE in granson and he didn’t play.

Brown is healthy and played,our best blocking TE by quite a bit but was thrown out of practice and may be caught in a numbers game. If ct he likely signs elsewhere as opposed to making to the the P.S..

11 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Brown is healthy and played,our best blocking TE by quite a bit but was thrown out of practice and may be caught in a numbers game. If ct he likely signs elsewhere as opposed to making to the the P.S..

Why was he thrown out of practice?

I’ve seen enough of Downs on returns. No more of that, thanks. Really like what he’s shown as a receiver. He’s going to be a good one. 

I really would have liked to see Richardson play. I’m firmly in the reps camp. 

It took Sam a bit to get going, but then he got the job done. 

I watched some of the Panthers game yesterday afternoon and the play calling was that same old tired frank crap I’ve seen ten billion times before. Watching ours felt so much more refreshing last night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

When was he tossed out?

9 hours ago, King Colt said:

Nice to get a win but the standout performance of the game was the Bears rookie quarterback Bagent. He was almost perfect. Freeland on the OL needs to pack his bags.

“Freeland needs to pack his bags.”

Said after the second pre-season game.   Sigh……

The same comment could’ve been made throughout the majority of the 2022 regular season about Bernhard Raimann.   And looked what he’s turned in to.   One the top young LTs in the NFL.  

Perhaps patience isn’t a strong suit of yours?    

• Like 3

11 hours ago, King Colt said:

Nice to get a win but the standout performance of the game was the Bears rookie quarterback Bagent. He was almost perfect. Freeland on the OL needs to pack his bags.

Freeland obviously isn't going anywhere any time soon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

“Freeland needs to pack his bags.”

Said after the second pre-season game.   Sigh……

The same comment could’ve been made throughout the majority of the 2022 regular season about Bernhard Raimann.   And looked what he’s turned in to.   One the top young LTs in the NFL.  

Perhaps patience isn’t a strong suit of yours?    

On the contrary either he can block or he can't preseason or super bowl.  

On 8/20/2023 at 3:35 AM, GoColts8818 said:

Because the referee’s union doesn’t want them.  It’s not the NFL.  Most of these guys have very high paying jobs (such as being lawyers) and they would have to give those jobs up to become full time officials and they don’t want to do that and the NFL doesn’t want to replace them with guys who wouldn’t be as good (anyone remember the replacements refs?)

I am firmly in the get some full time referees camp. To the bolded above, this isnt a fair comparison. 

Firstly, the NFL can definitely match their salaries of their other high profile jobs if they wanted to, they have the money and it would drastically improve the product on the field.

Secondly, the replacement refs were brought in as a temporary bandaid fix, and everyone involved knew it. So the replacement refs themselves didnt really have much motivation to step up their officiating game, and the NFL knew they had no other options. If the officials were full time NFL employees, they would be more accountable for their performance as refs AND they would have the time to devote to becoming better referees.

Heck, even if they didnt keep all of the existing refs and just pay them what they need to pay them to keep them, i'd be willing to deal with a year or even 2 of "bad" officiating by new actual full time refs if it meant that moving forward, the nfl officiating would be a better overall product. But i bet it wouldnt event take that long because as i mentioned before, the new refs would be highly motivated to become better refs (because it is their literal salary) and they would have the time to do it.

15 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Freeland will start this season.

It's certainly possible, look at Raimann last season to start the year and then by the last few weeks of the season he had shown real improvement and there was / is now a much sunnier disposition on him as the starting LT moving forward. Still definitely some development to go, but by week 12 of last season vs week 1 of last season, it was night and day difference for Raimann.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

On the contrary either he can block or he can't preseason or super bowl.  

Good grief. See above.

Freeland is far ahead of where Raiman was at this time last year. Raiman, Smith, Freeland is a SOLID group. And we will probably keep Hambright because he can also play guard. Hambright doesn't even look like the same player he did last year. Last year he looked like Pryor's twin brother, he was that bad.

10 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I watched some of the Panthers game yesterday afternoon and the play calling was that same old tired frank crap I’ve seen ten billion times before. Watching ours felt so much more refreshing last night. 

that was really my only gripe with Reich was his playcalling…and later his lack of accountability regarding the players.  But the playcalling was my biggest one.  I feel like if he’d just handed over playcalling duties then he’d be ok.  I know it’s the preaseason and everything is vanilla but we’ve watched him long enough to know that’s him.  He won’t last in NC if he does the same thing he did here.

39 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Freeland is far ahead of where Raiman was at this time last year. Raiman, Smith, Freeland is a SOLID group. And we will probably keep Hambright because he can also play guard. Hambright doesn't even look like the same player he did last year. Last year he looked like Pryor's twin brother, he was that bad.

I'm optimistic about Freeland but he hasn't played against other teams ones in real games to compare him to Raimann. The nice thing I do see is his athleticism. He won't ever have the "guard" power of Smith, but he will end up better in pass Pro, which isn't that high of a standard.

Hambright is pretty relentless, shows some of the scientific skills required, but is definitely too light in the britches. Where is our big rookie?

8 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

that was really my only gripe with Reich was his playcalling…and later his lack of accountability regarding the players.  But the playcalling was my biggest one.  I feel like if he’d just handed over playcalling duties then he’d be ok.  I know it’s the preaseason and everything is vanilla but we’ve watched him long enough to know that’s him.  He won’t last in NC if he does the same thing he did here.

Thought I saw something that said he didn't call plays, let the OC call them.

Could be mistaken but thought I saw it somewhere.

8 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

My son’s band opened for LA Guns on Saturday night. I forgot to set the DVR.  The game was on at the club but I couldn’t really focus on it.  How did Hambright look. He by far was the best of the reserves vs Buffalo

I heard Venturi mention twice that Hambright  was struggling vs the Bears.

Although, I didn't see him directly mess up while trying to watch everything going on.. I hope to watch the game again, tonight or tomorrow and Ill report back.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 11:54 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Granson  and Mallory are pretty much the same kind of tight end. We will see if Mallory sticks. Its going to be a good year for Granson. Him and Richardson already have good chemistry.

Mallory has PS written all over him this year, he should be fairly safe there.

8 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

My son’s band opened for LA Guns on Saturday night. I forgot to set the DVR.  The game was on at the club but I couldn’t really focus on it.  How did Hambright look. He by far was the best of the reserves vs Buffalo

Like someone that will get knocked backwards in a flash by quality bull rushers. But I really like his other toolbox, for a no name that is playing really hard for a roster spot. Right now Pinter and French play center and guard, cough cough, so they will be on the 53. Not great huh! Hambright on the PS ready for next man up seems probable.

Ballard and staff will be competitive for upgrade opportunities at cut time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Like someone that will get knocked backwards in a flash by quality bull rushers. But I really like his other toolbox, for a no name that is playing really hard for a roster spot. Right now Pinter and French play center and guard, cough cough, so they will be on the 53. Not great huh! Hambright on the PS ready for next man up seems probable.

Ballard and staff will be competitive for upgrade opportunities at cut time.

I wouldn't rule Hanbright out for making the team. Since he's listed as the backup LT. Although Pinter and French play both C and G, Hambright plays T as well

9 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

In this game they had Hambright playing at guard. It should be interesting to see who ends up making the team as backups? Since there is a chance we won't have all the starters healthy to start the season.