Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select CB Julius Brents

danlhart87

From the Sporting News:

44. Indianapolis Colts (from Falcons): Julius Brents, CB, Kansas State

Grade: A

The Colts had a critical need in outside coverage after trading Stephon Gilmore to the Cowboys. Brents is another big corner in this class with a good blend of physicality and explosiveness in this class.

I hope I'm totally wrong about this. He seems like a really nice kid. But I just watched game vids from him playing against TCU and Baylor and dang, he's a pass interference waiting to happen maybe he'll be OK in zone. I know he's tall an long and a big hitter... he also is a 4.53 guy at corner. Don't know. Like I said I hope I'm way off base

8 minutes ago, Gigc said:

I hope I'm totally wrong about this. He seems like a really nice kid. But I just watched game vids from him playing against TCU and Baylor and dang, he's a pass interference waiting to happen maybe he'll be OK in zone. I know he's tall a long and a big hitter... he also is a 4.53 guy at corner. Don't know. Like I said I hope I'm way off base

So was Rock and it took a while to get it out of him but they finally did.  I am sure Ballard feels like they can do it again.

• Like 2

From Bleacher Report:

“Brents is an ideal fit in Gus Bradley's system. His tarantula-like length and stickiness are perfect for a scheme inspired by the old Legion of Boom scheme. Furthermore, Ballard drafts yet another prospect with an elite athletic profile. Brents posted the fourth-best relative athletic score for a cornerback of the last 36 years“

24 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

From Bleacher Report:

“Brents is an ideal fit in Gus Bradley's system. His tarantula-like length and stickiness are perfect for a scheme inspired by the old Legion of Boom scheme. Furthermore, Ballard drafts yet another prospect with an elite athletic profile. Brents posted the fourth-best relative athletic score for a cornerback of the last 36 years“

So for next year, just look at the RAS and we will know exactly who we will be targeting 

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Lacks top end speeds as do all our corners but that's why they are later picks. Good zone corner traits

Not Rodgers , but yea I like to have some of these tall guys to help corner some of the new age TEs that we are gonna see

6 hours ago, boo2202 said:

So tired of RAS scores. Not saying I don’t like the pick but a lot of these RAS scores haven’t panned out. 

A lot has , the draft hit rate isn’t high for all team I think. 

9 hours ago, Gigc said:

I hope I'm totally wrong about this. He seems like a really nice kid. But I just watched game vids from him playing against TCU and Baylor and dang, he's a pass interference waiting to happen maybe he'll be OK in zone. I know he's tall an long and a big hitter... he also is a 4.53 guy at corner. Don't know. Like I said I hope I'm way off base

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

So was Rock and it took a while to get it out of him but they finally did.  I am sure Ballard feels like they can do it again.

ROCK, in his 3rd season, and in the 2nd half of that season played well.

He stopped grabbing so much. lol

Rock TODAY, is Unemployed like Ngakoue.

So Ballard drafts Another long Corner that is slow and has NO HOPE to chase across the field. Hopefully he proves an upgrade to Facyson.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, boo2202 said:

So tired of RAS scores. Not saying I don’t like the pick but a lot of these RAS scores haven’t panned out. 

And so have tons of players who don’t have high RAS scores.    The goal is to try and get three starters per draft after three years.   Just three.   

That factors in some lost to injuries….  Some lost to coaching.   Some lost to character.   Lots of reasons.   You see the same thing in all team sports.   Some players just don’t pan out. 

• Thanks 1

I love the Indy connection. But I think I might share some of the same concerns. 

He’s basically Marvell Tell with an extra step.

I look at other CBs Ballard has taken (Wilson and Rock), and for some reason, none of them seem to be fast (except Rodgers). 

And like those two, he’s a potential liability in man coverage and scheme-dependent. 

Plus, he’s a bit on the older side…much like Rock was. 

I don’t know…just seems like a bit of a reach.

I am just going to swap Downs and Brents in my head, so it makes more sense. 

9 hours ago, csmopar said:

So for next year, just look at the RAS and we will know exactly who we will be targeting 

It was that way last year as well. Chris over at Stampede Blue has predicted a lot of  Colts picks in recent years, likely because of the RAS scores.

Banogu, Paye, Pierce, Woods, Raimann, AR and Brents

Ballard has shifted from unpredictable to very predictable.

We have also yet to see this dependency on traits be overly successful. 

12 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

More like a Facyson replacement. Gilmore was a far better NFL prospect. 

Back when he was drafted, yes.   Off the top of my head, Gilmore was a top-10 to top-15 pick.    

But Brents isn’t replacing that guy.   He’s replacing Gilmore at the tail end of a likely Hall of Fame career.   And Brent’s should eventually be far, far better than Facyson at any moment of his career. 

I take it you’re not a fan of the Brents pick?   

Note:   Never mind.   I now see your earlier post.   You don’t like the pick.  Ok. 

12 hours ago, stitches said:

This is where I have some beef with RAS scores. No way this Brents guy is an elite athlete with that speed. I think RAS scores put a lot of weight into size at a position as well.

But the Colts sure seem to like it.

8 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

This is where I have some beef with RAS scores. No way this Brents guy is an elite athlete with that speed. I think RAS scores put a lot of weight into size at a position as well.

But the Colts sure seem to like it.

Richard Sherman ran a 4.56

15 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It was that way last year as well. Chris over at Stampede Blue has predicted a lot of  Colts picks in recent years, likely because of the RAS scores.

Banogu, Paye, Pierce, Woods, Raimann, AR and Brents

Ballard has shifted from unpredictable to very predictable.

We have also yet to see this dependency on traits be overly successful. 

The only one of that list that has completely busted is Banogu(why is he even still here)

but yes, I share your concerns