Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Some of you get so offended when someone disagrees with you. It’s not that serious.  Sometimes I feel I just need to stop coming here. If your going to get so offended by someone else’s opinion. I really am going to listen to rude back handed comments this season. I have had a fun summer and am looking forward to the season. I don’t need people being rude.

When you post things that are wrong,  you are going to get push back.   Peytons rookie year wasn't a terrible rookie season.   

• Thanks 1

Just now, jvan1973 said:

When you post things that are wrong,  you are going to get push back.   Peytons rookie year wasn't a terrible rookie season.   

Nothing I posted was wrong lol. Peyton still holds the int record and colts only won 3 games. They were bad.  

I made it clear I was talking wins and losses and this season is more about AR developing and getting ready for 24. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Nothing I posted was wrong lol. Peyton still holds the int record and colts only won 3 games. They were bad.  

I made it clear I was talking wins and losses and this season is more about AR developing and getting ready for 24. 

Your first post said "'AR can't have a worse season than Peyton did" 

You made nothing clear other than that.   You are wrong.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am more talking wins and losses ect. Richardson with his running ability should give Steichen a lot to work with early on while he develops.

You said in your post I quoted Peyton only won three games.  I am saying that’s irrelevant to if any QB had a good rookie year or not because that’s a team stat not a QB stat.  

Yes Richardson’s running ability should give Steichen a lot to work with.  I am not objecting to that nor was that brought up in your post I quoted.  In that post you said Peyton still holds the record for INTs by a rookie when you were trying to defend your position Peyton didn’t have a good rookie season.  

Yes it’s true Peyton does hold the record for most INTs by a rookie but he also broke just about every positive rookie record you could break as a rookie and for a long time his rookie season is what other rookie QBs were judged by.  I’d say that means he had a pretty good rookie year even with the INTs.  If AR can have a season like Peyton did not only will I be shocked I’ll be thrilled, yes even if he breaks Peyton’s INT mark in the process.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

You said in your post I quoted Peyton only won three games.  I am saying that’s irrelevant to if any QB had a good rookie year or not because that’s a team stat not a QB stat.  

Yes Richardson’s running ability should give Steichen a lot to work with.  I am not objecting to that nor was that brought up in your post I quoted.  In that post you said Peyton still holds the record for INTs by a rookie when you were trying to defend your position Peyton didn’t have a good rookie season.  

Yes it’s true Peyton does hold the record for most INTs by a rookie but he also broke just about every positive rookie record you could break as a rookie and for a long time his rookie season is what other rookie QBs were judged by.  I’d say that means he had a pretty good rookie year even with the INTs.  If AR can have a season like Peyton did not only will I be shocked I’ll be thrilled, yes even if he breaks Peyton’s INT mark in the process.  

Not sure about that haha. Manning had 575 PAs that year. Even if he starts Week 1, AR could have 150+ less than that. So if he's throwing more than 28 INTs, that's an incredible INT rate.

I don't think he would be able to do it anyways. He would see the bench long before he got there if he's throwing INTs at that clip.

Conversely, if he throws more TDs than Manning, it would be amazing. That would be an elite TD rate as a rookie.

On 4/28/2023 at 3:57 PM, RollerColt said:

I feel like I'm talking with Skip Bayless... Skip? Is that you? 

:D

I don't know Blue... As a teacher I dislike absolutes. Saying someone can never learn something, or is incapable of doing something just bothers me. 

Some things we can't control: physical things like height comes to mind. 

But I often hear my students say they'll never be good at X,Y,Z because of things that they CAN control. For example: last semester a student in my music appreciation class claimed that they would never be good at playing guitar because they don't have the talent for it. They also said their hands were too small. 

It is now almost May, and I have them playing the big 3 power chords and growing in confidence to their abilities. 

I view accuracy falling into that category. The human mind is a beautiful thing, and if a person has the will to do it, they will!

I also play guitar and I am just curious... In your post above you mention having them playing the big 3 power chords.  What exactly are the big 3 power chords?  I genuinely would like to know.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, Mike Tahoe said:

I also play guitar and I am just curious... In your post above you mention having them playing the big 3 power chords.  What exactly are the big 3 power chords?  I genuinely would like to know.  Thanks.

E -> A -> D

I have them start with just the root and the 5th before eventually working them up to the more common open variants (switching between them can be tough at first so I focus on building confidence). 

On 7/17/2023 at 10:21 PM, CR91 said:

Ready or not if we're off to a slow start out of the gates with Minshew, Irsay is gonna want AR to play.

Wanting AR to play and ORDERING Steichen to play AR more are two different things.   

One would think Irsay will have weekly meetings with Steichen and Ballard during camp so that he’s prepared for the worst.  Irsay can’t panic and step-in.  

Irsay can’t be viewed to over-riding his new head coach.  It would be yet another terrible thing to do.   Coming off the Saturday debacle,  Irsay has to get back to a hands-off approach.   Better for both his reputation and that of his franchise.  

Irsay has to trust the people he hired and put in charge.   Period. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wanting AR to play and ORDERING Steichen to play AR more are two different things.   

One would think Irsay will have weekly meetings with Steichen and Ballard during camp so that he’s prepared for the worst.  Irsay can’t panic and step-in.  

Irsay can’t be viewed to over-riding his new head coach.  It would be yet another terrible thing to do.   Coming off the Saturday debacle,  Irsay has to get back to a hands-off approach.   Better for both his reputation and that of his franchise.  

Irsay has to trust the people he hired and put in charge.   Period. 

Obviously you would want to believe that's what would happen, but imo Irsay is getting impatient and wants results. Irsay had Peyton and Andrew for two decades. Hes use to high QB play

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Obviously you would want to believe that's what would happen, but imo Irsay is getting impatient and wants results. Irsay had Peyton and Andrew for two decades. Hes use to high QB play

If Irsay wants AR to perform at a high level, he needs to let Steichen handle the situation.   

Playing AR more sooner does NOT automatically mean AR will get better sooner.  And I think everyone in the Colts organization knows that.   If it was as simple as playing AR more sooner then they could’ve already announced AR is starting week one.   But they haven’t done that yet.   So I’ll remain modestly optimistic until Irsay gives me reason not to be.    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Irsay wants AR to perform at a high level, he needs to let Steichen handle the situation.   

Playing AR more sooner does NOT automatically mean AR will get better sooner.  And I think everyone in the Colts organization knows that.   If it was as simple as playing AR more sooner then they could’ve already announced AR is starting week one.   But they haven’t done that yet.   So I’ll remain modestly optimistic until Irsay gives me reason not to be.    

All very true, but Irsay saw Peyton and Andrew play since day 1. He also saw the struggles they went through, but those struggles helped them in the long run. I'm not advocating to throw AR to the fire, but how much longer is Irsay gonna sit back while his franchise continues not to compete to the standards he's use to. He wants to win and if it's baptism by fire, I think he's fine by that.

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

All very true, but Irsay saw Peyton and Andrew play since day 1. He also saw the struggles they went through, but those struggles helped them in the long run. I'm not advocating to throw AR to the fire, but how much longer is Irsay gonna sit back while his franchise continues not to compete to the standards he's use to. He wants to win and if it's baptism by fire, I think he's fine by that.

The comparison is not apples to apples.   

Manning started for 3.5 seasons at Tenn.   Luck started for 3 seasons at Stanford.  Both guys were ready to start week one in the NFL.  

Richardson started just 13 games,  which is completely different.    He’s not close to being ready.   At least not based on the publicly based info.   He needs time, patience and a special program that brings him along at an appropriate pace.   Throwing him in the deep end and telling him to swim isn’t a modern day plan.   It’s barely a plan for a unique talent like AR at all. 

Irsay has to fight his worst instincts if he wants the best results.   Let Steichen and Ballard do their jobs and support their decisions. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The comparison is not apples to apples.   

Manning started for 3.5 seasons at Tenn.   Luck started for 3 seasons at Stanford.  Both guys were ready to start week one in the NFL.  

Richardson started just 13 games,  which is completely different.    He’s not close to being ready.   At least not based on the publicly based info.   He needs time, patience and a special program that brings him along at an appropriate pace.   Throwing him in the deep end and telling him to swim isn’t a modern day plan.   It’s barely a plan for a unique talent like AR at all. 

Irsay has to fight his worst instincts if he wants the best results.   Let Steichen and Ballard do their jobs and support their decisions. 

We get that, but does Irsay? How patient do you expect him to? Again my earlier point was if Minshew and the team struggle and we're like 0-3.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

We get that, but does Irsay? How patient do you expect him to? Again my earlier point was if Minshew and the team struggle and we're like 0-3.

If you're Ballard and Steichen, you need to try to manage your boss, right? Explain your plan and criteria for Richardson's development to Irsay from the start, then keep him updated on the progress and work/improvement still to be done in practice, individual sessions, and whatever game action he gets. If you're doing that and the owner still overrules the new head coach/quarterback guru on starting QB decisions, Steichen might need to think about other job opportunities.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Im expecting the team to struggle.  I think Irsay and Ballard and Steichen will be looking for other things.   How well coached does the team look?    How hard do they play?   How is the plan for AR working?   

0-3 shouldn’t change things.   I think the team will give SS and the QB’s more than three games before changing the approach to the season.  

I don't think Irsay has any delusions on making the playoffs this year.  Could it happen?  Yeah, I believe he would want it, but the farthest I've seen him go is saying that the kid need reps and Steichen is going to make that decision.  I am praying he stays with that mentality throughout the season.  Training camp quotes will tell a lot as to his mindset.

On 7/18/2023 at 12:19 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Peyton still holds the record for interceptions. So yeah it can’t get much worse. Plus only won 3 games.

Yeah 28 picks is pretty bad. This is mostly what you are talking about to me. I don't think we will give him enough attempts to get 28 picks though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I don't think Irsay has any delusions on making the playoffs this year.  Could it happen?  Yeah, I believe he would want it, but the farthest I've seen him go is saying that the kid need reps and Steichen is going to make that decision.  I am praying he stays with that mentality throughout the season.  Training camp quotes will tell a lot as to his mindset.

Did you see his sit down with Pat? He wants AR to play

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im expecting the team to struggle.  I think Irsay and Ballard and Steichen will be looking for other things.   How well coached does the team look?    How hard do they play?   How is the plan for AR working?   

0-3 shouldn’t change things.   I think the team will give SS and the QB’s more than three games before changing the approach to the season.  

I sure hope so.

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Did you see his sit down with Pat? He wants AR to play

I sure hope so.

Of coarse he wants AR to play.   They wouldn't have drafted him 4th overall otherwise.   It doesn't mean he doesn't know the kid isn't ready until the coaching staff says he is ready.    I think they ease him in.   I think GM starts and AR will come in in certain packages.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Yeah 28 picks is pretty bad. This is mostly what you are talking about to me. I don't think we will give him enough attempts to get 28 picks though.

Yep. Steichen will have a run heavy offense until his passing game develops. Anyone who doubts this go listen to that interview that was  posted. He lays it out pretty clear.

5 hours ago, w87r said:

It's crazy, we have (3) of the final 10 unsigned draft picks.

Richardson should happen in the next few days.    But the QBs situation is almost always unique.   

What don’t get are Brents and Downs.   The Colts almost never have 2nd and 3rd round draft picks hold out this long.   I don’t know if they’re getting bad advice from their agents, but based on the Colts history of dining their picks quickly, it would appear the issue is on the player side and not on the team side.  

Given that both Brents and Downs seemed thrilled and thankful to be taken by the Colts I think this is both surprising and disappointing.  

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Richardson should happen in the next few days.    But the QBs situation is almost always unique.   

What don’t get are Brents and Downs.   The Colts almost never have 2nd and 3rd round draft picks hold out this long.   I don’t know if they’re getting bad advice from their agents, but based on the Colts history of dining their picks quickly, it would appear the issue is on the player side and not on the team side.  

Given that both Brents and Downs seemed thrilled and thankful to be taken by the Colts I think this is both surprising and disappointing.  

Downs is signed.

Richardson

Brents

Freeland

Remain unsigned.

I'm not too worried about it, they will get done, just wild to have 3 of the 10 unsigned draft picks remaining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, w87r said:

Downs is signed.

Richardson

Brents

Freeland

Remain unsigned.

I'm not too worried about it, they will get done, just wild to have 3 of the 10 unsigned draft picks remaining.

To me, it's a non issue unless they aren't signed at the start of camp. I would think everything is handled by now and they're just waiting to report. There's no real impetus to get rookie contracts done right away, the only deadline is training camp. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

To me, it's a non issue unless they aren't signed at the start of camp. I would think everything is handled by now and they're just waiting to report. There's no real impetus to get rookie contracts done right away, the only deadline is training camp. 

Yeah, like I said I'm not worried. Just weird seeing us with a third of remaining unsigned players. 3 of 9 now.

Like you said, probably just waiting till they report.

• Like 1

Yeah... I don't even know who the last rookie with unsigned contract was a true problem for his team? I think there was a Joey Bosa thing where he held out of training camp until late-August because of a bonus and off-set language in his contract? But there is nothing to even hint at the Colts having any such problems with our rookies at this point. IMO once they all get here for training camp, it will get signed. There really isn't much that rookies and teams can have differences over in a rookie scale contract. They are pretty much standard... 

Temper your enthusiasm Colts fans & enjoy the journey.  Gardner Minshew is an exciting QB whose only fault was being drafted in the 7th round.  Year 1:  Jaguars: Minshew got NO snaps with starters.  Nick Foles breaks a collar bone and the rookie is starting.  On a marginal team, he stacked up good enough numbers to be the starter the following season.  Year 2:  Minshew started ok, but played with a broken thumb without telling coaches or trainers.  When he recovered, the team was committed to 'earning the first draft pick (Trevor Lawrence).  On a team with little talent (most targets did not continue their NFL careers) his stats were still as good as good QBs...on a team committed to loosing.  Year 3: Minshew was traded to Phila because- there was no other way that TL would start in Jax with Minshew on the roster & Eagles were not convinced that Hurts would improve enough to be the 'the guy'.  Hurts played amazingly well.  Minshew still wanted to compete for a starting job & was told "no".  

Just pointing out that Mahomes spent a year watching before becoming the MVP favorite & Minshew is a starter on at least half of NFL teams.  Enjoy the show.  Minshew is exciting wo watch and spins a ball as well as anyone I have seen.  This Jags fan will be watching every Colts game that Minshew plays.  Enjoy the ride!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2023 at 10:37 PM, RollerColt said:

E -> A -> D

I have them start with just the root and the 5th before eventually working them up to the more common open variants (switching between them can be tough at first so I focus on building confidence). 

Thanks for answering this.  I agree that root and 5th are a great place to start. Then, when they get their fingering down they can throw in the 4th as well.  Green Day made a whole career for themselves playing these chords lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike Tahoe said:

Thanks for answering this.  I agree that root and 5th are a great place to start. Then, when they get their fingering down they can throw in the 4th as well.  Green Day made a whole career for themselves playing these chords lol

Lol yes. Yes they did. 

34 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Im all on  board and love the pick. It will be interesting to look back in 2 years or so and see who was right.

https://firstroundmock.com/2023/04/anthony-richardson-is-a-bust-according-to-former-nfl-scout/

For what it’s worth….   This story is dated April 24, the night of the draft.   It’s not based on anything since.   

He’s calling AR Trey Lance 2.0.   Maybe he’s right, maybe not.    Obviously we’re all hoping Ballard and the scouts and Steichen and his staff plus other analysts who see something special are right.  

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth….   This story is dated April 24, the night of the draft.   It’s not based on anything since.   

He’s calling AR Trey Lance 2.0.   Maybe he’s right, maybe not.    Obviously we’re all hoping Ballard and the scouts and Steichen and his staff plus other analysts who see something special are right.  

I still say that picking a player at number 4 with that little experience but that much potential is swinging for the fences.  Deploying that much capital on spec is desperation.  I hope it works out for the Colts sake, and that's sincere.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I still say that picking a player at number 4 with that little experience but that much potential is swinging for the fences.  Deploying that much capital on spec is desperation.  I hope it works out for the Colts sake, and that's sincere.

Every team that don't have a top tier QB is in desperate mode.  Picking AR is no more of a gamble than any other QB in the draft.  They all have the potential to bust. In turn AR will be getting his training on the field.  Of course he is going have struggles like any rookie QB. Imo ARs ceiling is pretty high. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I am not really agreeing or disagreeing. I have repeatedly said I won't blame Ballard for the pick as I wanted him to swing for the fences. Just interesting how scout can have such different views on the same person.

28 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am not really agreeing or disagreeing. I have repeatedly said I won't blame Ballard for the pick as I wanted him to swing for the fences. Just interesting how scout can have such different views on the same person.

Scouts having sharp disagreements in their assessment of any given player is a theme I’ve been talking about since I arrived here 12 years ago.   

As for my comment about the date, that wasn’t just for you, it’s for anyone and everyone.   I didn’t want someone  to think this was based on the recent off-season and now the camp that has just started.  

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Every team that don't have a top tier QB is in desperate mode.  Picking AR is no more of a gamble than any other QB in the draft.  They all have the potential to bust. In turn AR will be getting his training on the field.  Of course he is going have struggles like any rookie QB. Imo ARs ceiling is pretty high. 

Its much more of a gamble than normal.  In the history of the draft, there has probably never been a higher pick used on a player with so little college experience....at least not many.  Joe Burrow did not have a ton of college experience, but he also played pro-style QB and lead his team to the Championship with what he had.  Probably most every other QB taken in the top 10 over the past decade had more college experience than Joe Burrow.  In addition to having less experience than Burrow, AR didn't lead his team to much success, and didn't play pro-style QB. 

I understand why Ballard picked AR at 4.  He had to given the circumstances.  Its the exact same reason that Grigson picked a C Kelly, at pick 18.  He had to address that position right now.  I gave Grigs a pass for overdrafting Kelly, and I'm giving Ballard a pass for overdrafting AR.  But I'm calling it what it is.

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Im all on  board and love the pick. It will be interesting to look back in 2 years or so and see who was right.

https://firstroundmock.com/2023/04/anthony-richardson-is-a-bust-according-to-former-nfl-scout/

I have no idea how he will pan out but that goes for all QB draftees including the highest of picks.  Most QBs fail and flail so my wager would be on AR not being great if I had to bet simply because it’s the statistically most probable outcome .

if AR put up numbers like he has with a 2 or 3 year college career I’d be wondering about the sanity of management.  But he hasn’t played 3 years he’s played 1, so the room for improvement there is astronomical with his unprecedented complete set of physical talents.

I am hopeful for AR, but he seems to have a longer row to hoe than almost any highly drafted QB I can recall.