Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

On 5/30/2023 at 3:52 PM, stitches said:

Which ones is Richardson going to to break?

The eye opener is the rookie completion percentage record. Who realized it was that low?

Makes one wonder; what was Luck's rookie completion percentage?

11 minutes ago, lester said:

The eye opener is the rookie completion percentage record. Who realized it was that low?

Makes one wonder; what was Luck's rookie completion percentage?

54.1%...  

That's the thing I think people have a big misconception about. A ton of even the elite players have completion % in the 50s the first time they compete at a certain level - be it first year starting in college(Luck, Burrow, Russell Wilson, Mahomes, Stafford, Lamar, Allen, etc... they all had completion% in the 50s in their 1st year starting) or rookie year in NFL(Lawrence, Lamar, Luck, Hurts, Allen, Manning!!!, ... etc. ). IMO in a lot of cases first year is more about accumulating experience and testing the limits of what works and what doesn't at that level of competition...  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stitches said:

54.1%...  

That's the thing I think people have a big misconception about. A ton of even the elite players have completion % in the 50s the first time they compete at a certain level - be it first year starting in college(Luck, Burrow, Russell Wilson, Mahomes, Stafford, Lamar, Allen, etc... they all had completion% in the 50s in their 1st year starting) or rookie year in NFL(Lawrence, Lamar, Luck, Hurts, Allen, Manning!!!, ... etc. ). IMO in a lot of cases first year is more about accumulating experience and testing the limits of what works and what doesn't at that level of competition...  

Luck's completion percentage gets brought up often, but it's important to acknowledge that he played in an inefficient offense with a bad OL and no running game, and he was a major gunslinger. With Luck, there were no questions about ability to perform, he'd already shown himself to be efficient and accurate in college. His progression was about improving the approach and refining some details. And IMO, he didn't get the coaching he needed until 2018.

I have some questions about Richardson's ability to perform, but like you said, early on it will be about testing his limits and gaining experience. Expecting him to have a good completion percentage early on is probably unreasonable.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Luck's completion percentage gets brought up often, but it's important to acknowledge that he played in an inefficient offense with a bad OL and no running game, and he was a major gunslinger. With Luck, there were no questions about ability to perform, he'd already shown himself to be efficient and accurate in college. His progression was about improving the approach and refining some details. And IMO, he didn't get the coaching he needed until 2018.

I have some questions about Richardson's ability to perform, but like you said, early on it will be about testing his limits and gaining experience. Expecting him to have a good completion percentage early on is probably unreasonable.

How high do you expect his completion % to be? Low? Mid? High 50s? 40s?? 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

How high do you expect his completion % to be? Low? Mid? High 50s? 40s?? 

I think mid 50s is a reasonable expectation. But I don't really know, we haven't seen anything yet. If they stay really conservative with the passing game, it could be higher. If they let him sling it all over the place, he could struggle to hit the 50s.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think mid 50s is a reasonable expectation. But I don't really know, we haven't seen anything yet. If they stay really conservative with the passing game, it could be higher. If they let him sling it all over the place, he could struggle to hit the 50s.

Our big tall pass catchers in Pittman, Pierce and Woods coming down with a few contested ones should help there too. The ones I worry about are the smaller ones in Josh Downs and Isaiah Mckenzie being hit in stride. Maybe Strachan gets more playing time if AR has a tendency like Andrew Luck to throw it high from a contested catch point of view?? This is the year those Year 3 WRs should be making that jump, right?

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

Exactly.  Coaches likely let Manning and Luck sling it all over the place because they were seen as NFL ready.  And their completion percentage suffered for it.

AR comes in not NFL ready, so his passing will likely be coddled by the coaches, and the results could bear a decent completion percentage.

But then anybody who would compare ARS completion percentage with Luck's and PMs just by looking at that stat, then conclude that ARs passing looks favorable for the future, would be missing a huge situational context variable.

• Like 1

Now they are saying Levi's has been looking bad. I definitely think we made the right choice, but it's crazy how much energy some fans across the board put into hating Levi's. The dude is a rookie so mistakes should be expected early on. I totally understand why Chris has had very limited media access when it comes to Richardson.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 3:52 PM, stitches said:

Which ones is Richardson going to to break?

All the records are in play besides the int record. Because richardson will probably hit alot of down field throws being that is his strength there is a chance he may get close to the yardage record. That may also get him close to the passing td record as well especially if he hits on the homerun plays. Both rushing records are definitely gone if he is healthy. The int record shouldnt be in play unless it becomes a pass first offense

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Now they are saying Levi's has been looking bad. I definitely think we made the right choice, but it's crazy how much energy some fans across the board put into hating Levi's. The dude is a rookie so mistakes should be expected early on. 

Yeah, I'm hearing it's been everything from bad accuracy, dropped snaps and throwing into triple coverage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, krunk said:

Now they are saying Levi's has been looking bad. I definitely think we made the right choice, but it's crazy how much energy some fans across the board put into hating Levi's. The dude is a rookie so mistakes should be expected early on. I totally understand why Chris has had very limited media access when it comes to Richardson.

I don't think there was much hate on Levis. Not thinking of him as a good prospect to be drafted for the team shouldn't be seen as hate. After all, fans need to worry about their team and not for a particular prospect, who may or may not work out. If anything, the reports like that only accentuates what Levis had put up on his college film, that completing passes doesn't equal to accuracy and tape showed him to be an average QB talent. 

I was actually surprised so many rated him so high, and many in this forum claimed he's Pro ready just because he had played with former NFL OCs and had been accustomed to NFL play calls and schemes. These are all good things for a QB prospect, but ultimately the film showed him struggling to hit on his receivers with anticipation and touch, and wasn't efficient in moving the chains or stringing together multiple great passes to consider him as first round talent.

What excited people are his great arm strength, suicidal athleticism and seemingly capability of enduring hardships. But, in reality film shows his pocket presence was poor that led him to take a number of hits which were seen as good attribute in being able to take hits with bad offensive line. However, many of hits and pressures were self induced in his proclivity to stand still until last second to try to throw to someone. His athleticism was good in getting some good rushing yards but same athleticism was absent when he had to evade pressure in the pocket. He couldn't hit his RB with proper touch and velocity to enable more yards after catch but those completions looked good enough for some in the stat sheet, and good completion % were proclaimed as great accuracy. 

None of this is hate, just an assessment of his ability on the field. He's a polarizing prospect, some may like him for the same attributes that may not work out for him in the NFL level. Wish him the best, but he's a lot to learn and unlearn to be successful at next level. Levis actually got much love and undeserved high praise in this forum than any hate before the draft.

But agreed, it's good to keep media away from Richardson. But, as soon as he starts playing, those who are going to hate, criticize or micro-analyze are going to come out of the woods during the season. It's up to Richardson on how he handles the pressure, criticism and how he's able to focus on what he's got to gradually improve as a passer while improving what he does best.

24 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I don't think there was much hate on Levis. Not thinking of him as a good prospect to be drafted for the team shouldn't be seen as hate. After all, fans need to worry about their team and not for a particular prospect, who may or may not work out. If anything, the reports like that only accentuates what Levis had put up on his college film, that completing passes doesn't equal to accuracy and tape showed him to be an average QB talent. 

I was actually surprised so many rated him so high, and many in this forum claimed he's Pro ready just because he had played with former NFL OCs and had been accustomed to NFL play calls and schemes. These are all good things for a QB prospect, but ultimately the film showed him struggling to hit on his receivers with anticipation and touch, and wasn't efficient in moving the chains or stringing together multiple great passes to consider him as first round talent.

What excited people are his great arm strength, suicidal athleticism and seemingly capability of enduring hardships. But, in reality film shows his pocket presence was poor that led him to take a number of hits which were seen as good attribute in being able to take hits with bad offensive line. However, many of hits and pressures were self induced in his proclivity to stand still until last second to try to throw to someone. His athleticism was good in getting some good rushing yards but same athleticism was absent when he had to evade pressure in the pocket. He couldn't hit his RB with proper touch and velocity to enable more yards after catch but those completions looked good enough for some in the stat sheet, and good completion % were proclaimed as great accuracy. 

None of this is hate, just an assessment of his ability on the field. He's a polarizing prospect, some may like him for the same attributes that may not work out for him in the NFL level. Wish him the best, but he's a lot to learn and unlearn to be successful at next level. Levis actually got much love and undeserved high praise in this forum than any hate before the draft.

But agreed, it's good to keep media away from Richardson. But, as soon as he starts playing, those who are going to hate, criticize or micro-analyze are going to come out of the woods during the season. It's up to Richardson on how he handles the pressure, criticism and how he's able to focus on what he's got to gradually improve as a passer while improving what he does best.

I concluded I wanted Stroud or Richardson. I just think it's crazy how quick some of these reporters and YouTubers are to jump on the guys(Levi's) every mistake. Now I did see some early reporting saying he started off good, but anything that looks bad it seems they are all over it. Oh well I'm glad we have who we picked!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

The thing I worried the most with Levis was that DESPITE having worked with two NFL OCs, he looked raw with some of his decision-making and fundamentals. 

For whatever it's worth Greg Cosell is saying he's talked to some of Kentucky's coaches and they are saying they had to scrap a lot of what they worked on with Levis in the off-season because of his injury and what we saw is a very limited version of their offense because Levis couldn't move a ton for most of the season(doctors supposedly recommended he sits, but he didn't want to). BTW some of us here caught on to that when looking at his film. For example, in the beginning of the season Levis was taking snaps under center in 35%+ of their snaps. By the end of the year he was taking 100% from shotgun. 

Cosell is also saying he's got some info from scouts that in the off-season when the NFL scouts were making their rounds on college campuses, he looked phenomenal and many thought he might end up no. 1 pick in the draft. Take it for whatever it is worth :dunno:

I personally thought Levis had some high level traits and IMO his tape, especially in the context of his injury was better than where he got drafted. To me it seemed like he rubbed people the wrong way in interviews... With all that being said, those are young players and performance in first  OTAs is likely not very predictive about what they are going to be in their careers. Of course, positive reports are better than negative reports, but I would take all this with a bucket of salt. To me the more important reports are those coming from the coaching staff about how they are handling themselves, how they are handling the playbook, etc. and this is where Richardson's reports so far are very positive in my books. It seems like the Colts want him to start week 1 and they are throwing everything at him to see what he can handle and so far so good... It seems like he's doing well and checking all the boxes he needs to check in order to start week 1.... so far. 

BTW according to reports Richardson and Bryce are the only rookie QBs splitting 1st team reps. Stroud is reportedly running with the 2s and Levis is playing with the 2s and 3s.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stitches said:

The thing I worried the most with Levis was that DESPITE having worked with two NFL OCs, he looked raw with some of his decision-making and fundamentals. 

For whatever it's worth Greg Cosell is saying he's talked to some of Kentucky's coaches and they are saying they had to scrap a lot of what they worked on with Levis in the off-season because of his injury and what we saw is a very limited version of their offense because Levis couldn't move a ton for most of the season(doctors supposedly recommended he sits, but he didn't want to). BTW some of us here caught on to that when looking at his film. For example, in the beginning of the season Levis was taking snaps under center in 35%+ of their snaps. By the end of the year he was taking 100% from shotgun. 

Cosell is also saying he's got some info from scouts that in the off-season when the NFL scouts were making their rounds on college campuses, he looked phenomenal and many thought he might end up no. 1 pick in the draft. Take it for whatever it is worth :dunno:

I personally thought Levis had some high level traits and IMO his tape, especially in the context of his injury was better than where he got drafted. To me it seemed like he rubbed people the wrong way in interviews... With all that being said, those are young players and performance in first  OTAs is likely not very predictive about what they are going to be in their careers. Of course, positive reports are better than negative reports, but I would take all this with a bucket of salt. To me the more important reports are those coming from the coaching staff about how they are handling themselves, how they are handling the playbook, etc. and this is where Richardson's reports so far are very positive in my books. It seems like the Colts want him to start week 1 and they are throwing everything at him to see what he can handle and so far so good... It seems like he's doing well and checking all the boxes he needs to check in order to start week 1.... so far. 

BTW according to reports Richardson and Bryce are the only rookie QBs splitting 1st team reps. Stroud is reportedly running with the 2s and Levis is playing with the 2s and 3s.

If Levis was recommended to undergo rehab in the beginning of the year and he somehow got better or learned to handle full workload by the end of the season, it does raise questions if he handled the injury properly, and whether it's fully healed? 

I'm not sure how an NFL player was advised by doctors to take rest or rehab but he decided to go against it, and still got healthy by the end of the year. How is that possible? If it was just in the healing phase, maybe he didn't make it worse and got better, but it does give a sense that he's not revealed the extent of his injuries so far and his NFL team will have to now deal with it. That may explain why he got drafted in the second round.

That also raises questions how ready he's now and how much of the activities he could perform to get ready for the next level. It definitely will impact his progression into NFL. He needs to improve his pocket presence and find ways to evade pressure at next level while going through his reads without getting overwhelmed, and first of all he needs to be fully healthy in order to start his development path.

I think his age and the COVID season and not starting two years in Penn State has pushed him to do whatever he needed to get drafted high, but right now he's got to do what's necessary to be a proper NFL QB.

6 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

If Levis was recommended to undergo rehab in the beginning of the year and he somehow got better or learned to handle full workload by the end of the season, it does raise questions if he handled the injury properly, and whether it's fully healed? 

His injuries started somewhere week 3-4, not sure the exact game it happened. 

I'm not sure how an NFL player was advised by doctors to take rest or rehab but he decided to go against it, and still got healthy by the end of the year. How is that possible? If it was just in the healing phase, maybe he didn't make it worse and got better, but it does give a sense that he's not revealed the extent of his injuries so far and his NFL team will have to now deal with it. That may explain why he got drafted in the second round.

He didn't get healthy by the end of the year. He played injured for most of the season. Part of the reason he missed the bowl game and the Senior Bowl. He was rehabbing after the season. No idea how well his rehab went and what his state is right now. 

That also raises questions how ready he's now and how much of the activities he could perform to get ready for the next level. It definitely will impact his progression into NFL. He needs to improve his pocket presence and find ways to evade pressure at next level while going through his reads without getting overwhelmed, and first of all he needs to be fully healthy in order to start his development path.

I think his age and the COVID season and not starting two years in Penn State has pushed him to do whatever he needed to get drafted high, but right now he's got to do what's necessary to be a proper NFL QB.

Well, he seems healthy enough to participate in TEN's OTAs... I would have guessed if he needed some sort of medical intervention they would have stopped him from participating. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, stitches said:

Stroud is reportedly working with the 1s this week.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/01/c-j-stroud-working-with-first-team-offense-way-way-ahead-of-pace/

• Like 3

12 hours ago, stitches said:

I personally thought Levis had some high level traits and IMO his tape, especially in the context of his injury was better than where he got drafted. To me it seemed like he rubbed people the wrong way in interviews...

This is all pretty interesting. One of the things that might have hurt Levis during draft eval is his decision to sit out the bowl game, and the Senior Bowl. Everyone knew he was hurt, but it only came out right before the draft that his toe might need surgery. It's probably true that he was more injured than people realized at the end of last season.

Physically, there's a lot to like. The tape is a mixed bag, but still supports a first round pick; him dropping to #33 is the biggest surprise of the draft. But I agree with you, I think between the injury and his interviews, there were probably a handful of teams that were considering him, but decided not to pull the trigger in the first round. The Titans moving up for him is a strong indication that they viewed him at least as a fringe first rounder, and probably thought other teams felt the same way, so they made the move to get him.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

but ultimately the film showed him struggling to hit on his receivers with anticipation and touch, and wasn't efficient in moving the chains or stringing together multiple great passes to consider him as first round talent.

What excited people are his great arm strength.   He couldn't hit his RB with proper touch and velocity to enable more yards after catch but those completions looked good enough for some in the stat sheet, and good completion % were proclaimed as great accuracy. 

None of this is hate, just an assessment of his ability on the field. He's a polarizing prospect, some may like him for the same attributes that may not work out for him in the NFL level. Wish him the best, but he's a lot to learn and unlearn to be successful at next level.

So are you talking about Levis or Richardson?   It sounds like you are listing attributes as to why a QB should not be drafted in the 1st round but should fall to the second, but yet AR was drafted 4 (and no one, anywhere, has said that he went too high).

You probably haven't been subjected to the current corporate dogma training of "unconscious bias"  (LOL).   But if it actually exists, it seems like there is a fair amount of it in your post.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

So are you talking about Levis or Richardson?   It sounds like you are listing attributes as to why a QB should not be drafted in the 1st round but should fall to the second, but yet AR was drafted 4 (and no one, anywhere, has said that he went too high).

You probably haven't been subjected to the current corporate dogma training of "unconscious bias"  (LOL).   But if it actually exists, it seems like there is a fair amount of it in your post.

Twas about Levis :)

• Like 1

I've been watching some Jalen Hurts highlights trying to find snaps from under center, but unless they are doing a sneak or the tush-push, he has practically ZERO snaps from under center. (On a side note - it's amazing how unstoppable those were with Hurts when you consider the defense should instantly know what's going to happen when he lines up under center). BTW Hurts had close to zero of those in college too... 

I think we will probably see something similar with Richardson. I kind of wish he'd expand his game a bit with some under center action, but even in college those were rare for him. 

Now looking at Herbert's rookie highlights... there are some under center snaps... so it seems like Steichen is doing what the QB is most comfortable with. 

Damn, Herbert's arm is special... can't wait to see how Richardson's looks on an NFL field. 

• Like 4

On 6/2/2023 at 11:54 AM, Superman said:

Stroud is said to look better than mills already. Im not putting much stock in rookie qbs struggling. Its going to happen. We will see how each rookie qb looks during preseason

Got my Anthony Richardson jersey today. I have only gotten one other Colt jersey before the player ever played a down of football for the Colts. It was 1999 and the player was Mike Peterson(another former Gator). Peterson played 14 seasons in the nfl, unfortunately only 4 were with the Colts. Still don't know how Polian didn't think Peterson was good enough to play for the Colts. I am very confident Richardson is going to be a dominant player. Go Colts!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

There was on twitter and reddit, more than just usual trolling and trash talk

True... But that could be said for every other player. Embellished hype and ridicule are common for draft prospect in most of the social media.

Young had lot of memes making fun of how small he could look on a football field, like a kid or dwarf playing QB. Stroud was the most maligned a week before the draft on how low teams are about him after the IQ test results came out and how he's a selfish player and not a team player, apart from the usual stigma attached to OSU QBs, while in reality Texans had no issues drafting him prior Will Anderson. Levis and Richardson were easy picking as both had sub par production in college , had many flaws in their game and were looking raw in at least few aspects in their tape.

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

True... But that could be said for every other player. Embellished hype and ridicule are common for draft prospect in most of the social media.

Young had lot of memes making fun of how small he could look on a football field, like a kid or dwarf playing QB. Stroud was the most maligned a week before the draft on how low teams are about him after the IQ test results came out and how he's a selfish player and not a team player, apart from the usual stigma attached to OSU QBs, while in reality Texans had no issues drafting him prior Will Anderson. Levis and Richardson were easy picking as both had sub par production in college , had many flaws in their game and were looking raw in at least few aspects in their tape.

Before they were drafted, people said Burrow’s hands were too small, they said Mahomes wasn’t a good pocket passer, they said Allen wasn’t accurate, they said Hurts couldn’t throw and was just a running back...look how all those guys turned out. The truth is, no one knows, and that’s part of the fun IMO

• Like 2

On 6/5/2023 at 10:28 AM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

It was different for will, I think his personalty really rubbed people wrong 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

It was different for will, I think his personalty really rubbed people wrong 

I am still on Cloud 9 that we drafted AR instead of Will. I was really trying to find anything I liked about Will and I couldn't. I watched him play Georgia, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt and he was bad in all 3 games. I also think he is very cocky, you can be cocky if you can back it up but he hasn't done anything to act the way he does. He reminds me of Wentz. AR is totally different, he is a much better athlete, and comes off wanting to learn and being a great teammate. He seems humble. 

• Like 6

On 6/1/2023 at 9:31 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I don't think there was much hate on Levis

I don't think so either on this board. I can't attest to Twitter and reddit.

It seemed to me the levis lovers were attacking other qbs like AR and the AR supporters retaliated.

Anyways that's all water under the bridge at this point. I'm glad we got AR.

Levis was a mediocre qb in college and I predict he'll be a mediocre qb in the pros.

Last I heard he was 3rd on the depth chart behind willis

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am still on Cloud 9 that we drafted AR instead of Will. I was really trying to find anything I liked about Will and I couldn't. I watched him play Georgia, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt and he was bad in all 3 games. I also think he is very cocky, you can be cocky if you can back it up but he hasn't done anything to act the way he does. He reminds me of Wentz. AR is totally different, he is a much better athlete, and comes off wanting to learn and being a great teammate. He seems humble. 

Yeah, I watched quite a bit of Kentucky football last year just to watch Levis and left unimpressed with all of it.

AR seems like the right guy, and I even believe the team when they say they would of taken him #1.

• Like 4