Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

So what happens if Minsh gets hurt in camp?  Do you start AR or Sam?

(hey, it's still the off-season so what else do we have to talk about?)

Rather than spending more money just start Sam and get the higher draft pick.  Still can't rush AR out there, right?  Or would they?

I think not.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

For once, we agree

I hate to break it to you…..

This is at least the second time, maybe even the third time this off-season you’ve written that statement. 

Careful!   A few more like that and it could ruin your reputation!    :peek:

19 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

We'll see what they do.  It matters less what I think they should do, or what you think they should do, but what they actually do, and especially if it works or not.

(There's a reason why they're NFL coaches and I'm not!)

Agreed. I've been speculating a lot about what I think they should do, but all that matters is how it actually goes.

Jalen Hurts started four games as a rookie. He started getting just a few snaps early in the season, until December he barely had 30 total snaps. Then they picked it up at the end of the season. But Steichen wasn't there yet. Also, Hurts was a more developed passer than Richardson is, IMO. So I'm not sure to what extent the comparison even matters. 

What I would love to see, assuming Minshew starts Week 1, is for us to have a specific plan for getting Richardson on the field right away. I think it's easy to have a short yardage QB run package, but I want them to give him some passing opportunities also. And if he struggles, you keep working on it and putting him out there to get the reps he needs. If he's performing well, you keep expanding his role, and eventually he's the starter. I don't think there needs to be a timeline for that, and it doesn't need to be forced, but it should be something they're actively driving toward from the very beginning.

It would be awesome to see Richardson dominate in camp and preseason games, and start right away. But I think that's unlikely to happen. I'm fine with a deliberate plan of development for him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Rather than spending more money just start Sam and get the higher draft pick

I think a veteran free agent would be on the table in that scenario depending on how AR looks in pre season.  I dont think tank for draft picks is something they would do before this season even starts.  pre season is too soon to say lets just tank for picks

2 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

I think a veteran free agent would be on the table in that scenario depending on how AR looks in pre season.  I dont think tank for draft picks is something they would do before this season even starts.  pre season is too soon to say lets just tank for picks

Who's even available right now?  Teddy?  Wentz?

56 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Who's even available right now?  Teddy?  Wentz?

I haven't looked, i think the team would look into it in that scenario though.  It would send a bad message to the players and fans if they just blatantly tank all year.  Shane didnt come here for that either 

• Like 1

Whatever the Colts do they need to make sure Richardson is ready to start the 24 season on the right foot. If that means starting him game one this year and letting him fight through struggles then so be it.  But he at least needs to play so the 24 season starts on the right foot. That’s what this year is about. It’s not about wins and loses.  If we win games in the process this year then that’s a bonus.  This year is all about preparing him for next year and beyond. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Rather than spending more money just start Sam and get the higher draft pick.  Still can't rush AR out there, right?  Or would they?

I think not.

Richardson would start. If Sam is still here then you just let him backup. They could bring in a vet though. But I think Sam is mature enough to teach Richardson the ropes when it comes to study habits and being professional. 

21 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I think not.

I still think the primary question is about whether Richardson is ready. If not, start Sam. And I'm not eager to see that happen, I think Ehlinger is very limited, and would hold back the rest of the offense if he had to play for a significant stretch of time. But I'd rather have him out there than rush Richardson onto the field. 

And that's if Richardson is just not ready to handle NFL action. If it looks like he is, then I don't care if it's Ehlinger, Minshew, or any other stopgap guy. Richardson should be running the offense as soon as it looks like he's ready to do so. If that's Week 1, Week 15, or next season. But I don't want them to place artificial barriers on him, nor do I want them to put him in the starting lineup out of desperation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Richardson has a full understanding of the playbook he should start. If he isn’t mentally tough to get through the up’s and downs then we never should of drafted him.  He isn’t meant to be a nfl QB. Shane should be able to design a playbook simple enough to help him and can slowly add what they expect him to do.

Suppose they put him out there and he has one of the worst seasons in Colts history because he isn't ready for the speed of decisions he needs to make, makes too many critical mistakes, and isn't consistently accurate? How is that going to help him progress?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m honestly not concerned when AR takes the field. For some reason, Shane gives me a real sense of calm and ease about this season. He knows what he’s doing so I’m gonna just ride it. He will get the start when coach says.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Ready or not if we're off to a slow start out of the gates with Minshew, Irsay is gonna want AR to play.

Irsay did push the organization to do what he wanted last year, it's a possibility he does it again.

Disclaimer:I know this will inflame some posters, but it is a true statement

15 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

11 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

I haven't looked, i think the team would look into it in that scenario though.  It would send a bad message to the players and fans if they just blatantly tank all year.  Shane didnt come here for that either 

For your consideration….

I think there’s an argument to be made that the Colts are tanking right now in plain sight….

Just look at the moves that fans and media have called for and the Colts have NOT made….      (Yet)

1.   The Colts have not signed a veteran right guard. 

2.   The Colts have not signed a veteran cornerback. 

3.   The Colts have not signed a veteran safety.  

4.   The Colts have not signed a veteran wide receiver.  

5.    The Colts have not signed a veteran backup offensive tackle.  

Now the Colts might still sign one or more.  They might also claim a player at the cutdown day or even make a small trade or two.   I’m just noting the moves the Colts have yet to make and camp opens in less than 10 days.   Again, this could change by Sept 1.   Honestly I’d be surprised if the Colts don’t make some moves.   It’ll be interesting to see what the Colts do and don’t do before the start of the season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For your consideration….

I think there’s an argument to be made that the Colts are tanking right now in plain sight…

I wouldnt call it tanking yet, starting Sam all year would be tanking though.  I dont think theres much out there at CB and WR.  They will probably pick up Oline on cut day

17 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Richardson would start. If Sam is still here then you just let him backup. They could bring in a vet though. But I think Sam is mature enough to teach Richardson the ropes when it comes to study habits and being professional. 

Yes, but only if he's shown that he can handle it.  That's why I posed the question, because Steichen really has to be careful with AR's confidence.  We can't just feed him to the wolves - otherwise why even have Minshew as a possible starter to begin with?  What is the Colts plan B?  None of us know, but it's an interesting question with a few options.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For your consideration….

I think there’s an argument to be made that the Colts are tanking right now in plain sight….

Just look at the moves that fans and media have called for and the Colts have NOT made….      (Yet)

1.   The Colts have not signed a veteran right guard. 

2.   The Colts have not signed a veteran cornerback. 

3.   The Colts have not signed a veteran safety.  

4.   The Colts have not signed a veteran wide receiver.  

5.    The Colts have not signed a veteran backup offensive tackle.  

Now the Colts might still sign one or more.  They might also claim a player at the cutdown day or even make a small trade or two.   I’m just noting the moves the Colts have yet to make and camp opens in less than 10 days.   Again, this could change by Sept 1.   Honestly I’d be surprised if the Colts don’t make some moves.   It’ll be interesting to see what the Colts do and don’t do before the start of the season. 

I agree.  I'm still of the belief that CB will be looking at the waiver wire to fill in those spots you've identified.  I wouldn't mind bringing in Apple for his veteran presence in the CB room.  He's not great, but he is serviceable and could help the kids out.  Our saftey's would just have to provide coverage over the top when he's in.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Suppose they put him out there and he has one of the worst seasons in Colts history because he isn't ready for the speed of decisions he needs to make, makes too many critical mistakes, and isn't consistently accurate? How is that going to help him progress?

what if that happens and we end up with the #1 or #2 pick... do they look at Drake Maye if we end up #2?  He looked very good last year and "experts" are saying he projects to be a VERY good QB in the NFL...  

That's been my issue with taking a project at QB, the whole time...what ifs... like what IF we get a top 2 pick this year...and next etc...what if we pass on QBs that end up being MVPs and AR ends up gone in a few years and didnt make it as an NFL starter?  I hope he ends up being the MVP QB we need...but taking a project definitely leaves me with the "what ifs"

2 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Yes, but only if he's shown that he can handle it.  That's why I posed the question, because Steichen really has to be careful with AR's confidence.  We can't just feed him to the wolves - otherwise why even have Minshew as a possible starter to begin with?  What is the Colts plan B?  None of us know, but it's an interesting question with a few options.

If Richardson can’t handle it then he should never have been picked at 4. No one wants a mentally fragile QB. Careers have up’s and downs and you need to be mentally tough. They had to sign a vet before the draft as a backup plan in case something happened during the draft process.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Richardson can’t be any worse then Peyton’s rookie year.  

He absolutely will be worse than Peyton was as a rookie. Peyton came into the league as one of the best college quarterbacks and passers of all-time. Richardson is nothing like that, having finished 10th in the SEC in passing efficiency last season in his first year as a starter. As a college senior, Peyton was a First-Team All-American, the Davey O'Brien Award Winner, the Johnny Unitas Award Winner, and Best College Player Award Winner.

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Richardson can’t handle it then he should never have been picked at 4. No one wants a mentally fragile QB. Careers have up’s and downs and you need to be mentally tough. They had to sign a vet before the draft as a backup plan in case something happened during the draft process.

I mean that he's not YET ready.  Poor  choice of words on my part.  My bad.

4 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I mean that he's not YET ready.  Poor  choice of words on my part.  My bad.

I agree that if he doesn’t quite grasp the playbook yet ect that might be a reason to sit him a few games. But I think Steichen will be able to design a offense that simple and make use of his running ability early so he isn’t overwhelmed. Then as the season goes on he can expand what he asks him yo do.

Going  to be interesting to see how snaps get divided in camp starting next week. 

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Peyton still holds the record for interceptions. So yeah it can’t get much worse. Plus only won 3 games.

He played all 16 games.   Lots of worse qbs got yanked before playing 16 games.  He had a 71 qbr that year.   FAR from the worst season a qb ever had

10 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

He absolutely will be worse than Peyton was as a rookie. Peyton came into the league as one of the best college quarterbacks and passers of all-time. Richardson is nothing like that, having finished 10th in the SEC in passing efficiency last season in his first year as a starter. As a college senior, Peyton was a First-Team All-American, the Davey O'Brien Award Winner, the Johnny Unitas Award Winner, and Best College Player Award Winner.

Some of you all forget how bad he was his rookie year. Luck now came in and was good right away. Peyton was not good as a rookie.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Some of you all forget how bad he was his rookie year. Luck now came in and was good right away. Peyton was not good as a rookie.

Go take a look at JaMarcus Russell's rookie year or Ryan Leaf

54 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

30 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Peyton still holds the record for interceptions. So yeah it can’t get much worse. Plus only won 3 games.

Did you know that Peyton finished third in the NFL in passing yards his rookie season with 3739, second in completions with  326, and fifth in TD passes with 26?  He finished second in the voting for Offensive Rookie of the Year behind Randy Moss.

Regarding winning only 3 games, the Colts offense ranked #12 out of 30 Peyton's rookie season. The horrendous defense was #29 of 30. You can't put all of that on Peyton.

Although I do agree he was a lot better the next season. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He also rewrote the record book for about every other positive stat a rookie QB can have his rookie year.  

wins are a team stat not a QB stat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Did you know that Peyton finished third in the NFL in passing yards his rookie season with 3739, second in completions with  326, and fifth in TD passes with 26?  He finished second in the voting for Offensive Rookie of the Year behind Randy Moss.

Regarding winning only 3 games, the Colts offense ranked #12 out of 30 Peyton's rookie season. The horrendous defense was #29 of 30. You can't put all of that on Peyton.

Although I do agree he was a lot better the next season. 

Bur richardson has the running ability. So Richardson does have that while he works on passing. It can’t get much worse then the win and loss record with Peyton and the int.  My main point was we were not a good team Peyton’s first year. So it can’t get much worse.

59 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Richardson looks that bad then Steichen failed to simplify the offense while he develops as a passer. That‘a one nice thing with having a duel threat QB.  Steichen will have put too much on his plate if Richardson looks overwhelmed.

So if an NFL coach can't design an offense that makes an inexperienced QB who was only so-so in college look good as a rookie starter, that's squarely on the coach? Nope.

We don't know for certain if Richardson will EVER be a good NFL quarterback, regardless of what offense he plays in. I sure hope he is and am optimistic that he'll develop as the Colts expect. To say that if he looks bad next year, it's just Steichen's fault makes about as much sense as suggesting that Richardson will be a better first year QB than Peyton Manning was. You know that's what you were suggesting above. It's a little surprising that someone who posts so much on a Colts board didn't know there was a lot more to Manning's first year performance than setting the rookie interception record.

1 minute ago, BeanDiasucci said:

So if an NFL coach can't design an offense that makes an inexperienced QB who was only so-so in college look good as a rookie starter, that's squarely on the coach? Nope.

We don't know for certain if Richardson will EVER be a good NFL quarterback, regardless of what offense he plays in. I sure hope he is and am optimistic that he'll develop as the Colts expect. To say that if he looks bad next year, it's just Steichen's fault makes about as much sense as suggesting that Richardson will be a better first year QB than Peyton Manning was. You know that's what you were suggesting above. It's a little surprising that someone who posts so much on a Colts board didn't know there was a lot more to Manning's first year performance than setting the rookie interception record.

My point is it should make it easier for Steichen with Richardson being a running threat. Then add Taylor back there with him the offense will be simplified. With those two running it’s also going to create wide open tight ends and WR because everyone has to come up and can’t sit back.

I never said there wasn’t more to manning. I was merely talking wins and losses. So wins and losses can’t get much worse.This year is not about wins and losses. Wins are just a bonus. The goal is to get Richardson ready for 24.  Shein should be able to simply the offense for Richardson because of his running ability and Taylor back there. 

29 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

My point is it should make it easier for Steichen with Richardson being a running threat. Then add Taylor back there with him the offense will be simplified. With those two running it’s also going to create wide open tight ends and WR because everyone has to come up and can’t sit back.

I never said there wasn’t more to manning. I was merely talking wins and losses. So wins and losses can’t get much worse.This year is not about wins and losses. Wins are just a bonus. The goal is to get Richardson ready for 24.  Shein should be able to simply the offense for Richardson because of his running ability and Taylor back there. 

Just stop while you're behind.   Peyton was one of the most pro ready qbs ever.  He proved that.   Ar has 12 starts.  You said he couldn't be worse than Mannings rookie year.   I guarantee statistically he will have a worse year. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Just stop while you're behind.   Peyton was one of the most pro ready qbs ever.  He proved that.   Ar has 12 starts.  You said he couldn't be worse than Mannings rookie year.   I guarantee statistically he will have a worse year. 

Some of you get so offended when someone disagrees with you. It’s not that serious.  Sometimes I feel I just need to stop coming here. If your going to get so offended by someone else’s opinion. I really am going to listen to rude back handed comments this season. I have had a fun summer and am looking forward to the season. I don’t need people being rude.