Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Shane knows that Anthony Richardson has accuracy issues. We all do, even if some are in denial about it. 

I'm not in denial about it. I have serious questions about Richardson's ability to function in the NFL, he needs a lot of work. 

But I do think some people don't really acknowledge how often their favorite draft prospects fail to live up to their expectations. And while I'm good with the pick, it's very possible -- in fact, it's more likely than not -- that Richardson struggles with accuracy his entire career. The question is whether he can reach a reasonable baseline for accuracy, and whether the other elements of his game can give him the needed pick up to produce and be a winning QB.

As for the liar accusation, I just think you're being overly rigid in your interpretation of his comments about accuracy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

The 18-20 short passes he will be expected to throw per game far outweigh the 3-4 deep passes he will be asked to do. 

This can't be emphasized enough.  And it has little to do with the AR pick.  It has to do with criticisms expressed on this board over the years.  The long pass is just not that important compared to the short pass.

Yes, you need to convert long passes, but the persistent over the top threat is provided by what kind of WR you have, NOT by the QB, because any college QB bound for the NFL can throw a ball 40 air yards.

Going 9 for 22 for 120 yards and a TD and 2 picks is a losing stat sheet.  Even adding in 75 yards rushing is a losing stat sheet, unless you have one heck of a stout defense.   Which we don't.   

Only time will tell if this was the right pick. There was so much coverage on the top 4 QB's, all the flaws and potentials. The pick has been made and it's time to support our QB. Listening to AR talk, can't help but notice the humble yet confident demeanor. Let's GO!!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Pelt said:

Why is that

I kind of liked the play on words haha

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not in denial about it. I have serious questions about Richardson's ability to function in the NFL, he needs a lot of work. 

But I do think some people don't really acknowledge how often their favorite draft prospects fail to live up to their expectations. And while I'm good with the pick, it's very possible -- in fact, it's more likely than not -- that Richardson struggles with accuracy his entire career. The question is whether he can reach a reasonable baseline for accuracy, and whether the other elements of his game can give him the needed pick up to produce and be a winning QB.

As for the liar accusation, I just think you're being overly rigid in your interpretation of his comments about accuracy.

Agreed. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I decided to just go to sleep without setting an alarm. But I didn't sleep well. After @Superman mentioned how it would be difficult for him to re-watch the tape of Levis (a red flag for sure! haha), I got completely stressed out about whether Irsay might be forcing a pick of Levis.

So I just woke up in the middle of the night, checked the time, and immediately switched on the phone. A few minutes earlier, Colts had just picked Richardson - and I was over the moon to be honest! 

Just saw this. My point was just that I'm done watching these guys, I've spent more than enough time on it already. Not that I hate watching Levis. 

I spent some time last night watching Richardson, though. 

• Thanks 1

excited to see who we get in these middle rounds. these middle rounds might have a bigger impact immediately compared to Richardson.

my guess is AR15 comes in during certain scenarios to start. 

• Like 1

You absolutely can control physical traits…give a child puberty blockers or have them eat a horrible diet or starve them through malnutrition and most assuredly they won’t fully develop into their greatest potential. To think someone can’t become more accurate is just a horrible take. I mean unless you think practice and repetition is pointless I mean why do you think athletes spend so much time working on their craft? I’ve seen it tons in the nba players that couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn now are deadly 3pt shooters. It’s just going to come down to the right coaches, the kid putting in the right effort, right protection, and getting him the right players to throw to…and I think we have two of those in house and hopefully we can get some players today to help with the other two.

• Like 4

The man has played a total of 19 games roughly and hes 20 years old. Why so much focus on accuracy without acknowledging his lack of meaningful experience and repetition? The man said himself hes always been the dominant player from pee wee league into college. He never really even had to work on his game much to be well above the competition. Orlovsky in a video breakdown felt Richardson did not have much of an accuracy problem versus it being a lack of meaningful reps. And i watched a short of Manning and Eli also saying he needs meaningful reps. Combine that with what hes doing with the QB coach and i think he will be fine. Too much nitpicking being done without considering the above. I definitely think he will get sharper.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

Sure you can work on accuracy.  It may improve or it may not.   Completion % does not equal accuracy but accuracy is one thing necessary for good comp %.   PM was 64% for his college career .  Hurts was 65.  Jackson was lower.  57.  

I'm not basing the inaccuracy on this coach you are mentioning.  It's from watching his game film and watching the combine.  

He's pretty inaccurate right now man.  I don't think anyone is seriously arguing that he's not. 

If he can hit 55% on a bad team in the sec while still needing work on accuracy then thats not a bad starting point.  Its not like hes a typical prospect either.  Hes like Cam, Lamar and Vick

They were not that accurate either in college but still had pretty good careers 

8 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Hooker and Levis are not masters of the short pass either.  We had to take a chance on a qb somewhere so they went with the traits guy

Ballard went with the traits guy?  No need to explain that, LOL. 

I know that Levis had warts too.  The QB I wanted was Stroud, ahead of Levis, but I came off of him late due to the score rumors.  HOU didn't seem to care and there was chatter about teams wanting to trade up, so I'm wondering if I got duped into dumping him late.  I'm afraid that I was wrong to do that.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

For those that didn’t see it.

I love when he referenced Tom Brady and how he is always looking to get better. He definitely seems grounded and humble enough to see where he is deficient and improve those areas daily. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Superman said:

that Richardson struggles with accuracy his entire career.

How will you measure if he is struggling with accuracy?

Many say Lamar Jackson has accuracy issues. I don't see it and his stats don't show that. So, I'm wondering how one judges if someone "has accuracy issues".

57 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

If he can hit 55% on a bad team in the sec while still needing work on accuracy then thats not a bad starting point.  Its not like hes a typical prospect either.  Hes like Cam, Lamar and Vick

They were not that accurate either in college but still had pretty good careers 

Newton was 66 completion rate in college and Vick was 56 in a different era when downfield passing attacks were prevalent and that stat was lower in general.  Manning for instance was at 60 his senior year on a talented team that won the title the next season.

16 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Newton was 66 completion rate in college and Vick was 56 in a different era when downfield passing attacks were prevalent and that stat was lower in general.  Manning for instance was at 60 his senior year on a talented team that won the title the next season.

And there have been a lot of recent qbs that were under 60 for a year or more in college and turned out well.  Lamar never hit 60 and hes a comparison

Mahomes, Burrow, Luck and Allen all had a year under 60.  AR only played one year and was a true freshman during covid 

Its not really right to compare his one year as a starter to guys who graduated.  

30 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

How will you measure if he is struggling with accuracy?

Many say Lamar Jackson has accuracy issues. I don't see it and his stats don't show that. So, I'm wondering how one judges if someone "has accuracy issues".

Gotta watch him play and pay attention to the splits. Some people just look at completion percentage, which is not a complete picture.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Gotta watch him play and pay attention to the splits. Some people just look at completion percentage, which is not a complete picture.

I agree but just watching ts too subjective. There has to be an objective way to measure it. I saw a metric that seemed to have more reliability than completion percentage but I cannot recall the name. The metric gives more value to hitting the targets and does not depend on the targets to make the catch. If the receiver drops the ball, it does not hurt the passer in that metric.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

And there have been a lot of recent qbs that were under 60 for a year or more in college and turned out well.  Lamar never hit 60 and hes a comparison

Mahomes, Burrow, Luck and Allen all had a year under 60.  AR only played one year and was a true freshman during covid 

Its not really right to compare his one year as a starter to guys who graduated.  

I’m down with all that.  The pretty clear reality is that as of now AR is inaccurate.  It is evident even beyond completion percentage to just about everyone, especially in short spaces.  This is a not a controversial opinion.

BT he could clean it up, but right now he’s an erratic thrower of the ball.  That’s all that I am asserting.  Not that he can’t improve.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I agree but just watching ts too subjective. There has to be an objective way to measure it. I saw a metric that seemed to have more reliability than completion percentage but I cannot recall the name. The metric gives more value to hitting the targets and does not depend on the targets to make the catch. If the receiver drops the ball, it does not hurt the passer in that metric.

When I say "the splits" I'm referring to charting, heat maps, etc. So since I'm not gonna chart every one of his passes myself, I'll just be paying attention to the charting that some of the online guys publish. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

When I say "the splits" I'm referring to charting, heat maps, etc. So since I'm not gonna chart every one of his passes myself, I'll just be paying attention to the charting that some of the online guys publish. 

Do you have access to that data?  It would be surprising if it didn’t suggest accuracy issues.