Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Excellent post!!! Having the HC also be a play caller is important for stability nowadays. Though Reich wasn't great at managing it all, the concept was still right, helps maintain a lot of continuity in the current days.

A guy like Tom Moore, in the Peyton days, wouldn't be as easily poached then but times are different. Stability and continuity of offensive systems do matter. Ask Alex Smith, ask even Andrew Luck. 

Take a look at the mess that is the Chicago Bears and the bad coaches they hired that may have really messed up Trubisky.

Coaching and stability is everything to a young QB.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Case in point.    When I was younger and had to pee.  I almost always miss the toilet and peed all over the place.   But as I have gotten more practice and older. I hardly ever pee on the floor or the wall or the toilet itself anymore.  I think my accuracy is up to almost 79% these days 

That is an interesting comparison...

You're talking about a very small object hitting a large object a foot away. :D

And comparing that to hitting a small window about 25 yards away on many plays. 

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

In most positions being avg is fine…you can’t afford and maybe don’t need great at every position but qb is just one of those positions that you likely need a star at or you better be great across the board to compensate. Leaves no room for error anywhere else on your roster if not. So I’d rather know right away if this guy is a bust then mess around in mediocrity when other positions mediocrity might be just fine.

I agree 100%. Boom or bust is better than "yeah but...he is OK" constantly.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Take a look at the mess that is the Chicago Bears and the bad coaches they hired that may have really messed up Trubisky.

Coaching and stability is everything to a young QB.

The issue is, they rarely recover. Alex Smith showed he could be resurrected by an Andy Reid who believed in him, until Mahomes showed up. Brady and Peyton and Brees mainly, their excellence was showcased because of an environment with high stability around them for offensive systems. But once they got to a point, the great ones could direct their OCs towards their systemic preferences but the early 5 years matter the most.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No one is demanding retractions because no one SHOULD be demanding retractions or revealing sources.   Many media are simply expressing opinions and observations.   Few are making 100 percent stone cold lock predictions.   Nothing needs to be retracted.    

Locally….  I don’t like Doyel.   I think he’s a bad columnist and is looking to deliberately stir things up to attract eye balls.   I’m not a big fan of some of the radio guys….  Dakich (was he recently fired?).   I’m not a fan of media that will say nice things to Ballard’s face, and then rip him when he’s not on the air with him.   Being two-faced is a fast way to get known for being a bad guy.    Otherwise,  I think most local media does pretty well in what I think is a tough sports media market. 

Amen!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Except this is like drafting a player who shoot 30% from the floor and hoping he becomes MJ. 

Do you need to become MJ to go from 53 percent to 60 percent completion percentage?  I'd have to say probably not.

Especially when your receivers dropped a ton of balls.  I get what Blue said about completion percentage doesn't tell you 

everything.  And I think that's especially true in a vertical offense where you're going to be making several deep shots.  However I don't think half of you would be here making these arguments if his completion percentage were 60 ish percent. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

The Panthers are presenting Bryce Young right now. Do we know when the Colts will present AR? 

Are you following that? I don’t think I’m ready for a Reich speech to be honest, I’m still having some PTSD after the Wentz fiasco. Probably unfair to blame that on Reich entirely but I can’t help myself. :headspin:

44 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Don't laugh...Washington drafted Cousins after taking RG3

I think I would rather draft Hooker at this point if double-dipping QB's. Unfortunately, the Colts have too many other needs (OL, CB, WR) right now to have that luxury.

1 minute ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Are you following that? I don’t think I’m ready for a Reich speech to be honest, I’m still having some PTSD after the Wentz fiasco. Probably unfair to blame that on Reich entirely but I can’t help myself. :headspin:

It's over. Frank didn't speak... he spoke yesterday I think. Haven't watched him. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The issue is, they rarely recover. Alex Smith showed he could be resurrected by an Andy Reid who believed in him, until Mahomes showed up. Brady and Peyton and Brees mainly, their excellence was showcased because of an environment with high stability around them for offensive systems. But once they got to a point, the great ones could direct their OCs towards their systemic preferences but the early 5 years matter the most.

Yes, there are many examples where teams didn't do enough for their young rookie to succeed.  And others, like you describe, where they did.

That's why I hope, and I have faith in Ballard and SS, they do the right thing here.  I sincerely hope that Ballard addresses the O line depth, and he finds another slot receiver.  Other than that, I think AR has the skills and confidence and SS has shown he can coach young QBs.

I won't say we're gold until we see it work, and I don't expect magic the first year.  I hope the fans can be patient, but we all know that's not going to happen.

6 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Probably since you were the one that said accuracy is something you were born with rather than something that could be improved.  

Allen’s accuracy has slightly improved. There are many reasons why his completion percentage was so low. 

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Allen’s accuracy has slightly improved. There are many reasons why his completion percentage was so low. 

I'll try to give my point one more time, accept it or ignore it.

You mentioned the physical traits (hand to eye, etc.) that a QB needs to be accurate in a previous post.

AR has show pinpoint accuracy.  He's shown Stroud/Young like accuracy from the pocket and on the run.

His CONSISTENCY is the only thing we can debate.  What makes a QB consistent?  Fundamentals and reps.

No guarantee that will ever happen, but it's going to be a fun ride.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Why is Allen allowed to have excuses for low percentages in college but not Richardson?

Because they are being biased and unreasonable due to some comment that shane made they didnt like

Mahomes, Allen, Luck,Burrow and Jackson all had at least one year in college under 60%.  Lamar never went over 60 in college

They think "scheme" helped these guys a little yet theres nothing we can do to raise ARs accuracy.  Supposedly one is born being accurate or not according to them, even though all those guys improved their accuracy by a lot with nfl coaching.  

• Like 2

Just now, BlackTiger said:

Because they are being biased and unreasonable due to some comment that shane made they didnt like

Mahomes, Allen, Luck,Burrow and Jackson all had at least one year in college under 60%.  Lamar never went over 60 in college

They think "scheme" helped these guys a little yet theres nothing we can do to raise ARs accuracy 

All we can hope is folks have an open mind and give the young man AR, OUR QB, a chance. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Its time for Levis Lovers to bend the knee to AR and swear allegiance forever !!!

Queen Bow Down GIF by A24

It's time for everyone to make an official pledge to never even put the mayo jar on the same table with a cup of coffee and to never even bite into banana until the full peel is off and in the trash can. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Lamar, Hurts, Mahomes.

Inaccurate?  Mahomes?  Hurts?   Even Lamar? He's the only one you could ever argue was inaccurate and I don't think that was ever a knock that I  remember.  The question was could he run an NFL O.  Then Harbaugh simply ran the type of O that suited Lamar.  that's the difference with mobile guys now too.  OCs have changed scheme to accomodate them.  

one of the posters pointed out the difference between completion % and innaccuracy.  Thought one can help contribute to the other, they are not necessarily tied at the hip.

AR combine you can see him struggling with placement throwing on air in the short throws and the intermediate sideline throws. 

Mahomes doensn't need to be mobile to be great and proved that this playoff and other times his mobility was limited. 

Whatever his numbers were in college don’t matter anymore.  He’s here.  The Colts knew those numbers and drafted him anyways.  Clearly they feel he can improve and they have the people in place to help him improve.  Like Ballard said they drafted him for what he can be.  I am not crazy about it but guess what how I feel doesn’t matter, he’s here.  So as a Colts fan I want him to be what Ballard and company think he can be.  So that’s what I am pulling for.  For me it’s not about being right it’s about wanting to see my team win.  I’d much rather be dead wrong and the Colts win than right and the Colts starting over in a few years.  

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Correct. 

I'm not super interested in defending Steichen here. I think your characterization of him as a liar is harsh, but it doesn't offend me, I just don't agree with it.

I think there's shades of grey here. If I'm shopping for a new car, the most important consideration for me might be fuel efficiency. But that doesn't mean the cumulative value of several other considerations can't potentially outweigh the importance of fuel efficiency. I might also think that my way of driving and my intended use of the vehicle can stretch the fuel efficiency further than what's typical.

So in this case, while Steichen said accuracy is very important to him, he didn't say 'I don't want a QB with accuracy issues.' And he believes (IMO, very clearly) that his plan for Richardson will lead to improved accuracy, which is obviously necessary if Richardson is going to have success. In fact, something Steichen said at the Combine was 'you have to see the future, it's tough, but you have to see what these guys can become in the future.' Then he said 'you have to build the offense around the QB, adapt to what he does well.'

And specific to accuracy, he said 'accuracy is important, you have to be able to stand in the pocket on 3rd and 8 and make the play.' But then he was asked if you can teach accuracy, and he said, enthusiastically 'yes I think you can, you can help accuracy with mechanics, and you can help with scheme and simplify the offense to help the QB.' Again, shades of grey, and I think in those comments there's plenty of openness to a player who needs some development. 

Bottom line is I don't think picking Richardson means Steichen was not being truthful about the importance of accuracy. And that's not because I'm so dedicated to defending Steichen's honor. I'm taking issue with him in other ways already, so don't reduce every disagreement down to someone not being open to anything that's critical of the HC. But I think you're overly rigid in your interpretation on this one.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nickster said:

AR combine you can see him struggling with placement throwing on air in the short throws and the intermediate sideline throws. 

You can work on accuracy despite what that poster thinks though.  AR has work to do as a passer but hes not wildly inaccurate to the point that we all need to be hung up on some comment the coach made a few months go

Those qbs mentioned had trouble hitting on certain routes, so they worked on them and became the best qbs in the league now.  Richardson has a chance to do that too?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Superman said:

He rubbed me the wrong way in this one. Just unnecessarily curt and standoffish. One thing Ballard understands and quickly demonstrated is that it's valuable to have a good working relationship with the media. 

So, for example, when Ballard said 'I don't want to compare QBs,' then someone asked Steichen a similar question and he answered 'like Chris said, we're not gonna compare QBs.' Then whoever asked the question clarified that they were talking about offensive approach, and Steichen goes 'yeah, I'm not gonna talk about scheme, either.' Really?

Now, Reich would just give away the gameplan, and that was annoying. But in this case, Steichen couldn't talk about what kind of advantages he sees in having a QB like Richardson, or how they think they can deploy him as he develops, or anything like that? He didn't even try to dress it up and give a coachspeak answer, either. Just shut it down, not even entertaining what I thought was actually a legitimate question. Generally, I don't care too much because I don't expect to get anything meaningful from what the coach says, but that annoyed me, and seemed borderline rude.

I didn’t have time to watch the presser before now, but I don’t think he was that harsh or rude to be honest. However, I would always advise that a person in front of the media should try and explain why they are not going to answer the question. There can be many reasons why but at least give the media something to work with. Never ever give a talk-to-the-hand, so i guess we can agree that Steichen could improve his media handling here. 

But we are getting way off topic…

5 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

You can work on accuracy despite what that poster thinks though.  AR has work to do as a passer but hes not wildly inaccurate to the point that we all need to be hung up on some comment the coach made a few months go

Those qbs mentioned had trouble hitting on certain routes, so they worked on them and became the best qbs in the league now.  

Sure you can work on accuracy.  It may improve or it may not.   Completion % does not equal accuracy but accuracy is one thing necessary for good comp %.   PM was 64% for his college career .  Hurts was 65.  Jackson was lower.  57.  

I'm not basing the inaccuracy on this coach you are mentioning.  It's from watching his game film and watching the combine.  

He's pretty inaccurate right now man.  I don't think anyone is seriously arguing that he's not. 

35 minutes ago, stitches said:

Watching Bryce Young's presser... He is REALLY REALLY GOOD with the media. Extremely polished and very smart. 

I am so impressed with Young. 

Richardson may be even better with the media. At times Young seemed careful (hesitant) to be sure to say the right thing. Richardson seems very comfortable and just says the right thing without hesitance.

• Like 1