Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The story, from Bleacher Report, is pointing to a report from ESPN’s NFL reporter Dan Graziano.   He’s one of the best in the business, so I’m not worried that anyone is making up anything.   

But, I think other stories in the last few days are attributing the positive views of AR to Colts coaches.   Whether it’s coaches or players, if I’m Ballard I’d be telling my team to tighten things up.   Managing expectations is important, especially after the disaster from last year.  

Agreed with the latter. But these days, I don’t trust reporters anymore regardless of who it is.

Way too much hype on Ant now. I wanted either him or Stroud very early on in the draft season, but it was always gonna take time with him.

Peyton said it best in the Omaha Productions short where he spoke about Richardson.

Josh Allen had almost twice as many snaps in college and he was considered raw coming into the NFL. But he's also right in saying that he's still gonna make huge passes and break huge TD runs from the get go because he simply has the ability to on any given play, and Shane Steichen knows how to take advantage of that.But he's gonna miss plenty of simple passes early on. Experience matters and most rookie QBs, talented or not, are pretty awful their rookie year and almost every single drafted NFL QB (good or bad) has had more snaps than Anthony Richardson...

it'll be fun to watch the progress though. Way better then the trainwreck we got to watch last year lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2023 at 11:27 PM, colts89 said:

Way too much hype on Ant now. I wanted either him or Stroud very early on in the draft season, but it was always gonna take time with him.

Peyton said it best in the Omaha Productions short where he spoke about Richardson.

Josh Allen had almost twice as many snaps in college and he was considered raw coming into the NFL. But he's also right in saying that he's still gonna make huge passes and break huge TD runs from the get go because he simply has the ability to on any given play, and Shane Steichen knows how to take advantage of that.But he's gonna miss plenty of simple passes early on. Experience matters and most rookie QBs, talented or not, are pretty awful their rookie year and almost every single drafted NFL QB (good or bad) has had more snaps than Anthony Richardson...

it'll be fun to watch the progress though. Way better then the trainwreck we got to watch last year lol

Hype is not a bad thing in the NFL. It helps with having Star Power, and Star Power is what Networks, Advertisers, Media etc... desire to promote their product. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Hype is not a bad thing in the NFL. It helps with having Star Power, and Star Power is what Networks, Advertisers, Media etc... desire to promote their product. 

It also helps to increase the amount of people that will % on Ant when he most likely starts off playing poorly in the first few weeks. That's the part I don't like.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 10:30 PM, csmopar said:

Well,  any reporter that can’t spell, I’m for one, am not going to give to much credence too.

“Whether”

not sure what you are referring to 

Indianapolis Colts

Will Anthony Richardson be ready?

The accepted pre-draft maxim was that Richardson was a project player who would need time to develop before you could use him in NFL games. The Colts aren't so sure. They believe he has already made significant improvements to his lower-body mechanics due to the work he has done this offseason with private quarterback coach Will Hewlett. They believe they could use him in the run game now if they needed to. They're 100% confident in his character and intuitive ability to weather growing pains. They aren't going to rush him into the starting role if they think doing so would hurt him or set him back, but they also aren't going to hold him out of the role just for the sake of doing so. Don't be surprised if Richardson plays early in the season, maybe even opening as the Week 1 starter at QB.

weather seems appropriate there. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, stitches said:

Man I'm really hoping we've got our guy for the next 10 years (I'll take more than one at this point... Lol).

All signs point to him wanting to be great coupled with literally the most ability ever at his position.

Here's to hoping we've got ourselves a stud!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

First time seeing Richardson in his entire uniform.

They all look so serious. No one is smiling.

Richardson is so tall, as is the guy wearing #86 in the front.

It looks like QB Jaren Hall representing the Vikings.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Bryce is so small you can't even see him among the WRs and DBs

I don't see him. Where is he?

2 hours ago, IinD said:

Man I'm really hoping we've got our guy for the next 10 years (I'll take more than one at this point... Lol).

All signs point to him wanting to be great coupled with literally the most ability ever at his position.

Here's to hoping we've got ourselves a stud!!!

10 years  he will be 21 to start the season he should be the guy for the next 15 to 20 years

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Good story here from Reddit from someone at these rookie events that met all the rookie QB. He is filming them for something he can’t quite reveal yet.

That bodes well for the NFL. Lord knows we need more people with their heads on right coming into the league. Glad we got a good one with AR

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 9:57 PM, NewColtsFan said:

For your consideration….

I think you’ve set yourself up for potentially great disappointment.   I think if it were as easy to fix AR’s issues as you think he’d have been the easy and obvious first overall pick.  

But even if they can address his issues better than expected and even if Steichen adjusts his offense for AR as he did for Jalen Hurts, there is still the matter of AR’s inexperience.   Less than 1000 career snaps.   And there’s no substitute for experience.   That means the mistakes he would’ve made in college he’s now going to make in the NFL.   AR is going to see defenses he’s never seen before.  And the game is going to be sooo much faster.  He’s going to need time to learn and experience all the things he didn’t in college.  If this all happens,  I hope you won’t be too disappointed. 

He already is - he wanted Jackson.  :hide:

17 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Good story here from Reddit from someone at these rookie events that met all the rookie QB. He is filming them for something he can’t quite reveal yet.

FWIW…..     the location is Los Angeles.   The stadium is the coliseum, where USC plays.   That’s my old stomping grounds.   

Way back when,  SC and UCLA played there, plus the Rams and the Raiders also played there.    These days, it’s just USC. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 9:33 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Please don’t take this wrong, I’m not knocking you for posting this.   I’m knocking the Colts for letting stories like this get out.   

At his year end news conference Ballard criticized himself for not managing expectations last year.   He should have a lid on this kind of talk at this point.   

If it’s August and he looks good in pre-season games that’s one thing.   But comments like this in May are mostly unhelpful.   They raise expectations which is exactly what Ballard said he wanted to avoid this year.   The only person who should like this is Irsay if it helps him sell tickets.   Otherwise…..

Thanks Debbie

Debbie Downer Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 9:57 PM, NewColtsFan said:

For your consideration….

I think you’ve set yourself up for potentially great disappointment.   I think if it were as easy to fix AR’s issues as you think he’d have been the easy and obvious first overall pick.  

But even if they can address his issues better than expected and even if Steichen adjusts his offense for AR as he did for Jalen Hurts, there is still the matter of AR’s inexperience.   Less than 1000 career snaps.   And there’s no substitute for experience.   That means the mistakes he would’ve made in college he’s now going to make in the NFL.   AR is going to see defenses he’s never seen before.  And the game is going to be sooo much faster.  He’s going to need time to learn and experience all the things he didn’t in college.  If this all happens,  I hope you won’t be too disappointed. 

Debbie Downer Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 1

Anthony Richardson made such strides during the season last year at Florida it is almost unbelievable. Hopefully he will be able to show that kind of improvement and development this year and beyond as a Colt. If he does the Colts will be in the mix of contenders and winners for years to come. The Vanderbilt game from last season is a good example of how far he progressed(it was game 11). He had 4 perfectly thrown passes dropped by wide open receivers in the FIRST quarter alone. He completed 2 4th down passes down the sideline for first downs(both excellent throws). His reads and progressions were good. He had a number of throws where he was under attack and throwing off his back foot but was able to get 15-20 air yards on the throw accurately for completions. If Richardson has the work ethic and determination to want to succeed(and I'm sure he does based on all accounts of him recently) we are in good hands going forward. I think he is going to start week 1. Go Colts!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Anthony Richardson made such strides during the season last year at Florida it is almost unbelievable. Hopefully he will be able to show that kind of improvement and development this year and beyond as a Colt. If he does the Colts will be in the mix of contenders and winners for years to come. The Vanderbilt game from last season is a good example of how far he progressed(it was game 11). He had 4 perfectly thrown passes dropped by wide open receivers in the FIRST quarter alone. He completed 2 4th down passes down the sideline for first downs(both excellent throws). His reads and progressions were good. He had a number of throws where he was under attack and throwing off his back foot but was able to get 15-20 air yards on the throw accurately for completions. If Richardson has the work ethic and determination to want to succeed(and I'm sure he does based on all accounts of him recently) we are in good hands going forward. I think he is going to start week 1. Go Colts!

Unbelievable...because it sort of is. 

In that Vandy game, there were a few egregious drops, but also plenty of overthrown passes, fastballs, passes thrown behind WRs, etc.

Just look at the last drive alone:

1st play - waited too long and pass is deflected (likely heading into triple coverage for an INT anyways)

2nd play - 99 MPH fastball to his RB who is less than 10 yards away (a drop AND a bad throw)

Second to last play - Throws it way behind the WR who has to dive to catch it (should have ended the game)

Last play - AR throws a deep pass into the stands and the game is over

This was the second to last game of the season....against a really bad college defense who mostly gave AR all day to throw. And somehow, against this opponent, UF was down 28-12 in the 4Q. And then were only able to get some things going in the 4Q, while Vandy was mostly playing soft defense.

Look, I am not a scout by any means, and this is JMO. But I don't know how any objective person could watch this Vandy tape and not see a guy, who has tremendous upside, but is still a huge work in progress. 

And the following next week, he competed 33% of his passes against FSU...his final game of the season.

Here's the tape if anyone wants to watch:

• Like 2

On 5/19/2023 at 10:40 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

All we need is the ability to win.  Hype doesn't help that.  All that other stuff is not important to me.

55 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Unbelievable...because it sort of is. 

In that Vandy game, there were a few egregious drops, but also plenty of overthrown passes, fastballs, passes thrown behind WRs, etc.

Just look at the last drive alone:

1st play - waited too long and pass is deflected (likely heading into triple coverage for an INT anyways)

2nd play - 99 MPH fastball to his RB who is less than 10 yards away (a drop AND a bad throw)

Second to last play - Throws it way behind the WR who has to dive to catch it (should have ended the game)

Last play - AR throws a deep pass into the stands and the game is over

This was the second to last game of the season....against a really bad college defense who mostly gave AR all day to throw. And somehow, against this opponent, UF was down 28-12 in the 4Q. And then were only able to get some things going in the 4Q, while Vandy was mostly playing soft defense.

Look, I am not a scout by any means, and this is JMO. But I don't know how any objective person could watch this Vandy tape and not see a guy, who has tremendous upside, but is still a huge work in progress. 

And the following next week, he competed 33% of his passes against FSU...his final game of the season.

Here's the tape if anyone wants to watch:

There are about 3 dropped TDs on that tape(0.35 is a dropped TD and an actual great decision from AR on a blitz, he identifies the blitz and passes the ball where the blitz is coming from to his outlet WR, who drops it.... 2:55 ...it's not a TD, but a huge drop for 50+ yards.... 3:10 throws it away/towards his receiver... receiver digs it out of the ground to gift it to the defender for the INT, another crucial "drop", which leads to Vandy TD... 5:05 dropped TD). In some cases he indeed had a lot of time to throw... but we don't really see the receivers on a lot of those snaps. In some cases he goes through his progression and then dumps it to his checkdown. If anything this tape shows that positive side of his game - he actually does go through progressions and he even hits his checkdowns on multiple occasions in this game alone. Now... there definitely are some wild throws in this tape that sail way over people's heads... in some of those IMO he's might be throwing it away... in others it's obvious overthrows. It's by no means clean tape, but it's much better than his stats from that game would lead you to believe.

This tape IMO is yet another one where you can see that the biggest problems of his games right now are predominantly those of accuracy and touch rather than problems of decision-making or inability to read through progressions. He was making the right decisions in overwhelming majority of cases... but he throws everything too hard(even the short outlet/checkdown passes) and sometimes overthrows receivers. 

• Like 2

On 5/18/2023 at 10:44 PM, NewColtsFan said:

The story, from Bleacher Report, is pointing to a report from ESPN’s NFL reporter Dan Graziano.   He’s one of the best in the business, so I’m not worried that anyone is making up anything.   

But, I think other stories in the last few days are attributing the positive views of AR to Colts coaches.   Whether it’s coaches or players, if I’m Ballard I’d be telling my team to tighten things up.   Managing expectations is important, especially after the disaster from last year.  

But this has been the Colts MO for the past few years. They keep real quiet about personnel moves, but as soon as they are made, the PR starts in some form or fashion. And it has to originate from somewhere.

I know what Ballard said that presser about managing expectations, but I don't know if I believe him. And I would hope fans are already doing that after last season...when hey were told that Ryan was the best QB since Luck, that he was a 3-4 year fix and made the Colts darkhorse SB contenders.

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

There are about 3 dropped TDs on that tape(0.35 is a dropped TD and an actual great decision from AR on a blitz, he identifies the blitz and passes the ball where the blitz is coming from to his outlet WR, who drops it.... 2:55 ...it's not a TD, but a huge drop for 50+ yards.... 3:10 throws it away/towards his receiver... receiver digs it out of the ground to gift it to the defender for the INT, another crucial "drop", which leads to Vandy TD... 5:05 dropped TD). In some cases he indeed had a lot of time to throw... but we don't really see the receivers on a lot of those snaps. In some cases he goes through his progression and then dumps it to his checkdown. If anything this tape shows that positive side of his game - he actually does go through progressions and he even hits his checkdowns on multiple occasions in this game alone. Now... there definitely are some wild throws in this tape that sail way over people's heads... in some of those IMO he's might be throwing it away... in others it's obvious overthrows. It's by no means clean tape, but it's much better than his stats from that game would lead you to believe. 

• :35 is the most egregious drop. It cost them a TD, or at least a goal to go. But the catch before :35 was a one-armed diving catch on 4th and 7. It was a great throw, but an even better catch. A few players earlier in that drive, Pearsall broke multiple tackles and turned a short pass into 26 yards to pick up a 1D on 3rd and 25. If we are pointing out drops, we should also point out low probability plays that WRs make:
    • Like 4:55 where AR throws it behind the LOS and the RB turns it into 30 yards against prevent defense
    • Or at 3:55, when a WR somehow gets behind the entire Vandy secondary
  • Not sure how you can blame the WR for 2:55. It was an accurate deep pass, but a bit underthrown and the DB hits it at the end. If AR throws that ball in the NFL...he might regret it.
  • You definitely can't blame the WR for 3:10. That play was exactly the kind of stuff this fanbase skewered Wentz for. AR makes a terrible decision to throw a pass while falling over backwards. Naturally, it's inaccurate and the WR had to dive for it and it popped up in the air. I doubt that's even considered a drop. Either way, AR earned that INT. 
  • 5:05 was a bad drop. But he caught it a TD two plays later, so it didn't really hurt anything, except add an incompletion in this one game. (Well, two because he threw an incompletion on 3D as well).

But this was Vandy. Against an NFL pass rush, secondary and a competent offense, the Colts would probably lose this game something like 38-17 with that level of play.

There are certainly really good things in the tape as well, especially some nice deeper passes right on the money. It's not a bad game. In fact, it's one of his better games statistically.

But if this is supposed to be a shining example to support the narrative he is actually very far along he is and improved over the course of the season, I am not buying it, especially with the FSU game the next week. 

I also think this is a bit of a dangerous narrative as well because it could create high expectations for this coming season without much reason to support it. But that will just have to play out.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

• :35 is the most egregious drop. It cost them a TD, or at least a goal to go. But the catch before :35 was a one-armed diving catch on 4th and 7. It was a great throw, but an even better catch. A few players earlier in that drive, Pearsall broke multiple tackles and turned a short pass into 26 yards to pick up a 1D on 3rd and 25. If we are pointing out drops, we should also point out low probability plays that WRs make:
    • Like 4:55 where AR throws it behind the LOS and the RB turns it into 30 yards against prevent defense
    • Or at 3:55, when a WR somehow gets behind the entire Vandy secondary

I mean that's part of their job and pretty much every receiver at that level makes such plays now and again.  The Pearsall one was another actual example of great decisionmaking from Richardson. Made his progression read and checked it down, gave his receiver a chance and he paid it off... good for both of them. 

• Not sure how you can blame the WR for 2:55. It was an accurate deep pass, but a bit underthrown and the DB hits it at the end. If AR throws that ball in the NFL...he might regret it.

Maybe it would have been better if it was like 1 yard longer, but come on... we are talking about 50 yards pass. This is an accurate pass that NEEDS to be caught. Both DBs are beat by the pass. The receiver has to make this catch. And I would definitely not be mad at him if he makes this types of throws in the NFL. It was a good pass. And I hope NFL receivers would actually make this type of catches relatively easy. 

• You definitely can't blame the WR for 3:10. That play was exactly the kind of stuff this fanbase skewered Wentz for. AR makes a terrible decision to throw a pass while falling over backwards. Naturally, it's inaccurate and the WR had to dive for it and it popped up in the air. I doubt that's even considered a drop. Either way, AR earned that INT. 

I don't think it's the same as the decisions Wentz was making. And I was one of the biggest critics of Wentz' decision. This ball has about 0.001% chance of being intercepted. I think this was more of a throway than an attempt at a hero play like Wentz used to do. Pretty much the only way it gets intercepted is what the receiver did. It was nowhere in the vicinity of the defender. 

• 5:05 was a bad drop. But he caught it a TD two plays later, so it didn't really hurt anything, except add an incompletion in this one game. (Well, two because he threw an incompletion on 3D as well).

But this was Vandy. Against an NFL pass rush, secondary and a competent offense, the Colts would probably lose this game something like 38-17 with that level of play.

It's hard for me to make determination about what the Colts would do with that level of QB play. Richardson definitely was NOT the reason Vandy scored 31 points in this game. His game was actually relatively solid. He missed some routine throws(overthrows) but none of them were turnover worthy. There was one really bad throw/decision on the 2pt conversion that he got lucky with and should have been intercepted, but even that one, as bad as it was, usually doesn't result in points for the opponent. If the Colts allow 38 points in that game, it would be the defenses fault, not the offense/QB. 

There are certainly really good things in the tape as well, especially some nice deeper passes right on the money. It's not a bad game. In fact, it's one of his better games statistically.

But if this is supposed to be a shining example to support the narrative he is actually very far along he is and improved over the course of the season, I am not buying it, especially with the FSU game the next week. 

The reality is... IMO huge improvements don't happen game to game, so I kind of agree. If there are improvements within the season they are more incremental and uneven... 2 steps forward, one step back... learn, try new stuff, learn from it, rinse and repeat. If there is a huge improvement it would be made in the off-season through tons and tons of individual work. This is especially true for Richardson, because I think the biggest area for improvement for him is his footwork/accuracy and hopefully he's working hard at fixing those issues in the off-season. IMO the games for him will be more of a experience-gathering exercise and a way for him to lock in the changes he's made with his mechanics. 

I also think this is a bit of a dangerous narrative as well because it could create high expectations for this coming season without much reason to support it. But that will just have to play out.

Yeah... agreed. I, myself, am trying really hard to keep my expectations low, because I'm a believer in AR, but I have to remind myself that even players that were much further along in their development suffered through some rough rookie seasons. If Richardson makes a jump directly into the NFL(i.e. if he has better season as a rookie in the NFL than he had in college) it would be the outlier, not the norm. 

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

All we need is the ability to win.  Hype doesn't help that.  All that other stuff is not important to me.

But its important to Corporate America lol.

If a team is not desirable to the networks, advertisers,  media etc.... the ability to win is more difficult.