4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Hines:

2022 Dead Cap: $1.5m

2023 Dead Cap: $3m

2022 Cap Savings: $3.64m

2023 Cap Savings: $3.29m

2024 Cap Savings: $6.9m

It's almost $14m over 3 seasons saved.

I would say it was very unlikely Hines was ever going to see that 6.9 mill in 2024. In all probability , it was 7 over 2 seasons. 

I posted it in the other thread, but:

Moss is the opposite of Hines as a RB. Here's a snippet from his NFL.com Draft Profile:

Watching Moss' game tape is like watching an exercise in controlled violence on just about every carry, but his vision, balance, patience and wiggle are additional skills that help to make him a well-rounded runner. Personnel evaluators for NFL teams say there is wear and tear that could limit the length of his career. He needs to become more discerning with his physical challenges if he wants to see a second contract. He is a great fit for gap and inside, zone-heavy rushing attacks and could become an effective starter as a middle-round pick.

His player comp was Marion Barber, which I absolutely agree with.

Health has been his issue so far in the pros, plus he's more of a thunder vs Hines' lightning.

Highlight reel from last season for those interested:

42 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

how ?  dont the colts still have to pay hines 5 million ? 

No, per DrafKings, "Hines signed a three-year, $18.6 million deal with the Colts and has two more years remaining on that extension after this season. However, the deal has no guaranteed money after this season, so the Bills could release him without any dead money repercussions. Hines has a base salary of $3.3 million this year, which jumps to $4.45 million in 2023 and $5.1 million in 2024. Each year includes $340,000 in total per-game roster bonus money.

The Colts will carry $1.5 million in dead money this year and $1.5 million in dead money in 2023."

Hines wanted out... Ballard gave him his ticket out and to a contender so there should be no reason for Hines to cry about it. Good luck Hines. Wish you well.

Ballard and Reich is extending to all the players in the locker room the same treatment because they want to have a united locker room. 

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This feels like a salary dump to me.   

I don’t mean to bring more bad news, but the Colts are going to be in a very difficult place with regard to the cap next year.   

The 23 cap goes up $17 mill next year.   But about $12m of that has already been eaten up by Matt Ryan.   Yup. 

I don’t think we can retain Ngokoue even if he started playing better.   Too much money.   

Plus, the Colts have to try and sign Pittman and Taylor next off-season.   Plus Okereke is up and due for a new deal.  

The 23 off-season looks to be incredibly difficult.    Sorry. 

Definitely is a dump. Moss could be a good get though.

Your looking at the cap wrong.

Ryan actually counts for $18m against the cap next year. $12m new money.

Anyway, just by releasing Ryan we will get $17m in cap relief.

We currently set at $26.38m in cap space

Add in the $17m from Ryan

We will be up to $43.38m in cap space.

Will probably extend Buckner freeing up another $6-$8m in 2023 space.

Setting at $50, without to many guys to retain.

Can move on from Kelly and save $8m if we just flat out.release him.

It's not all doom and gloom, there is other moves that could be made to open up even more if they want to.

Moore - $7-$8m

Cox - $3m

Gilmore - $9m

That's $78m if need be, that's the extreme though.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Definitely is a dump. Moss could be a good get though.

Your looking at the cap wrong.

Ryan actually counts for $18m against the cap next year. $12m new money.

Anyway, just by releasing Ryan we will get $17m in cap relief.

We currently set at $26.38m in cap space

Add in the $17m from Ryan

We will be up to $43.38m in cap space.

Will probably extend Buckner freeing up another $6-$8m in 2023 space.

Setting at $50, without to many guys to retain.

Can move on from Kelly and save $8m if we just flat out.release him.

It's not all foom and gloom, there is other moves that could be made to open up even more if they want to.

Moore - $7-$8m

Cox - $3m

Gilmore - $9m

That's $78m if need be, that's the extreme though.

Ironic because 78 is Kelly jersey #

12 minutes ago, tvturner said:

The Colts are missing talent at the 3 most important positions in football....

No star DE, no franchise QB, and no LT.

Don't have to have a star at any of those just somebody to do their job. So many fans want STARS., flashy names, ect... Results are all that are needed. 

Just now, NorthernColt said:

Just confirmed by Shefter now. Hines requested a trade. Does make more sense now.

I would too hell he was told he was gonna be used and all we know how to do is run his 180lb self up the middle lmao then he practices as a slot and he doesn’t even play there Frank is *ic 

9 minutes ago, masterlock said:

No, per DrafKings, "Hines signed a three-year, $18.6 million deal with the Colts and has two more years remaining on that extension after this season. However, the deal has no guaranteed money after this season, so the Bills could release him without any dead money repercussions. Hines has a base salary of $3.3 million this year, which jumps to $4.45 million in 2023 and $5.1 million in 2024. Each year includes $340,000 in total per-game roster bonus money.

The Colts will carry $1.5 million in dead money this year and $1.5 million in dead money in 2023."

Hines:

2022 Dead Cap: $1.5m

2023 Dead Cap: $3m

2022 Cap Savings: $3.64m

2023 Cap Savings: $3.29m

2024 Cap Savings: $6.9m

It's almost $14m over 3 seasons saved.

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

On the surface it seems like two teams trading our players that roles were diminished and were miscast in the offense.......

Here is his Draft Profile which actually sounds like he may fit better in our blocking (or attempted) schemes.....

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/zack-moss/32004d4f-5375-6406-2efb-a60ab36c4cc4

Thst was my question. Maybe we get better blocking which will help the offense.

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

On the surface it seems like two teams trading our players that roles were diminished and were miscast in the offense.......

Here is his Draft Profile which actually sounds like he may fit better in our blocking (or attempted) schemes.....

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/zack-moss/32004d4f-5375-6406-2efb-a60ab36c4cc4

Maybe we bring back more zone based stretch plays with Zach Moss running, like the old Edge days???

I think every Colts fan was frustrated of the inability to 1 or 2 yards on 3rd/4th down the last couple of years. They needed a violent runner in the backfield to help the cause and got one for player that wanted out. They received some CAP  relief and an extra pick in the process.

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This feels like a salary dump to me.   

I don’t mean to bring more bad news, but the Colts are going to be in a very difficult place with regard to the cap next year.   

The 23 cap goes up $17 mill next year.   But about $12m of that has already been eaten up by Matt Ryan.   Yup. 

I don’t think we can retain Ngokoue even if he started playing better.   Too much money.   

Plus, the Colts have to try and sign Pittman and Taylor next off-season.   Plus Okereke is up and due for a new deal.  

The 23 off-season looks to be incredibly difficult.    Sorry. 

It's not as bad a picture as you paint. The estimated cap for next year is 226m. This I believe includes around 8 m in roll over.The colts top 51 for 2023 is 197 m. Dead money is around 3m. 

The 2023 top 51 contracts come to just under 200m.This gives the Colts 26 m in cap space. Add to that the 23 m they save( he has a 35M cap hit for 2023) on releasing Ryan. Gives you 49 mill in cap space. Plus if Colts went with Pinter (seems a given) at C , they would save another 8m(cut Kelly) bringing us to 57m. This is after the Hines trade. 

Seems like we're OK to me. You talk about 2024 , but remember you have Smith to consider. He can be replaced in 2024 and save 10 m. Or if cut in 2025 , he saves a whopping 16m. So at worst keep him in 2024 and just pay a little less base to the new signs in 2024. Also it looks like we will have Sam's cheap contract for 2023 and 2024 or at worst a rookie QB salary. No way Colts bring another 30 m "gamble" in for QB. 

Say what you want about how bad our front office seems to be right now , but they did a very good job with contracts. 

IMO , they have 

Archived