Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, chad72 said:

That is Doyel being a jerk. You can ask a tough question in a professional manner without being a jerk. Doyel thinks he knows more than Frank or the others to make such a jerk like statement in a professional setting? 

You can ask how Sam wasn't good enough then but why is he suddenly good enough now and leave out the "you guys don't know what you are doing" part. Someone take Doyel's credentials away, please. Colts' coaches haven't done anything to disrespect him in a press conference, have they?

I would have harsher words to say about Doyel, if I didn't have to worry about getting banned. 

I lost respect for Doyel a long time ago. He loves asking questions in this manner to try to get a response or a "gotcha", which iI don't appreciate. I also remember him on camera on the field after a loss years ago (I want to say towards the end of Grigs) where he essentially threw a temper tantrum on live TV talking about how bad we sucked, who played bad, etc. Super unprofessional.

1 hour ago, SR711 said:

Call me cynical, but despite the blather coming from Reich and the "insiders" I have a really hard time buying that Ehlinger is being given the reigns because they feel he gives the team the best chance to win. 

After yesterday's loss essentially torpedoed any chance of winning the division, Irsay decided that it was time to break the cycle of mediocrity, decided that a flat offense is not going to lead to winning football and, therefore, more or less made the edict that Sam is starting to position ourselves to grab one of Stroud, Young or Levis in the 2023 Draft. 

Gregg Doyel's question is very appropriate: If they thought this highly of the guy, shouldn't he have been #2 on the depth chart going into the season.  Heck, why wasn't he given the chance to compete for the starting job after they traded Wentz.  

They will never say this out loud, but, Ehlinger is being asked to play the role of a Curtis Painter or Kelly Holcomb: get us into the top 5 of the draft.  

Me being the optimist, going into the preseason they didn’t think Ehlinger would make the team, but like they said he played to good not to keep. Now what I am hoping is that he has continued to look good/showed improvement in practice and that’s why he was moved above Foles and is now starting

12 minutes ago, Shive said:

I lost respect for Doyel a long time ago. He loves asking questions in this manner to try to get a response or a "gotcha", which iI don't appreciate. I also remember him on camera on the field after a loss years ago (I want to say towards the end of Grigs) where he essentially threw a temper tantrum on live TV talking about how bad we sucked, who played bad, etc. Super unprofessional.

He relates to the sadly all to common old, grumpy NFL fan that thinks being a *is the only way of 'keeping it real'. 

Tons of other media calls him out on it too.

11 minutes ago, Shive said:

Him Dakich, and Zach Hicks I can’t stand.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Him Dakich, and Zach Hicks I can’t stand.  

I generally like Zach Hicks, but he's been a little bit irritating so far this season.

How Dakich has the platform he does is beyond me, but apparently being an arrogant * has a sizeable audience 

There's still hope folks I just watched the offensively challenged, anemic Bears offense with the lowest ranked qb in the league destroy the genius Belichek defense 33-14. Bears had over 200 yards rushing while Fields threw for 179. So maybe Ehlinger is the answer! On a side note, Weatherford had an absolutely bone crushing special teams tackle in the 4th qtr. Sure was nice of Ballard to give Weatherford to Flus.

I enjoyed the question from Doyle. Yeah it was rude and unprofessional but I don’t think Reich is a NFL head coach so what did he expect? It was a very fair question but of course it will never be truly answered. 

This move proves what I’ve been saying, Reich is on the hot seat, the Colts are nothing more than average and people are going to lose their jobs for not drafting a QB after Luck retired.  Sam seems like a great person, I hope he does well but he will be figured out in 3-4 games. This is a tank move which I’m fine with.  We need to draft a QB. 

25 minutes ago, Shive said:

He used to do that after every game. He literally exists to make people hate him so they read his stuff out of outrage. He is a blight on Indianapolis and its sports media. 

10 minutes ago, Shive said:

I generally like Zach Hicks, but he's been a little bit irritating so far this season.

How Dakich has the platform he does is beyond me, but apparently being an arrogant * has a sizeable audience 

Dakich is also a blowhard, but with his ties to Indiana University we’re never getting him out of this state, I’ve come to terms with that. 

I remember Frank saying at final cut down that Ehlinger deserved to make the team. And that they couldn't try to sneak him onto the practice squad because someone would have claimed him. Let' see how it goes. Like I said before: 10-6-1 and the playoffs or 5-11-1 and CJ Stroud.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

So u would find it inconceivable that a billionaire with a dysfunctional family life with addictions could have a tantrum lol???

Ehh.  Maybe.  But, I’m more disposed to think he made his feelings known in a direct, calm manner.  These aren’t JUCO-level people.

4 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Ehh.  Maybe.  But, I’m more disposed to think he made his feelings known in a direct, calm manner.  These aren’t JUCO-level people.

People should be very concerned for the future. Irsay appears to have gone off the rails since the end of last year and now the owners meeting with Snyder. Now he seems to be involved with the jettinsing of Wentz and now the benching of Ryan. No future GM or coach wants to walk into that

I can't say I'm not surprised by this news. I do feel bad for Matt though, I think he thought he could come here and finish out a great career. 

Obviously, the O line is still not fixed. So that will still be an issue no matter who is under center. 

I knew Matt was hurt Sunday, after his umpteenth sack he got up holding his right arm and could see him wincing in pain. That's why I feel bad for him. The O line did him no favors.

Let's go Sam, show us what you have to offer. I'm anxious to see how the game goes Sunday.

3 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

They could of just said he was injured and will miss time. If Sam played well then they just say they are sticking with him. But I also didn’t mind what he said.

Yeah, in a way, it's an honest talk.. 

But in case Colts need to get another FA QB who becomes available next year, say Kirk Cousins, I'm not sure if the QBs would be willing to come to Indy, fully knowing how they would be treated.. 

You know, with this huge change happening today, and thinking about why our offense has degenerated so much since last year, and why our run game literally went from first to 30th, there's really one thing that I thought would happen first before we got here:

How in the world is Strausser still employed? 

I never was "excited" about trading for a washed up Ryan, but understood because of Ballard's Blunders the colts options at QB weren't promising and we were desperate.

Ryan's play of course not the only concerns on this team, however with all the qbs the colts have gone through the last few years his play was the worst since Tolzein and kinda Curter Painter'ish. Lol .....which is sad considering he was a 15 year vet.

Glad the move was made, we either move forward with SamE. or get in good draft position to try and get a legitimate QB prospect which Ballard has passed on multiple times before.

Also, it could possibly, hopefully signal Frank's days here are numbered, and maybe Ballard too. :banana:

25 minutes ago, colts89 said:

You know, with this huge change happening today, and thinking about why our offense has degenerated so much since last year, and why our run game literally went from first to 30th, there's really one thing that I thought would happen first before we got here:

How in the world is Strausser still employed? 

Probably because there is no one better they can get in season without disrupting everything and it’s not ALL the coaches fault.  Guys like Pryor and Pinter just aren’t good enough to be starters.  No coach is going to turn them into one.  

That’s not meant to defend Strausser.  I don’t care about him.  The Colts could fire him tomorrow and I’d be fine with it.

21 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Yeah, Doyel is quite the *

I don't like Doyel. At all...

But... most are thinking the same... 

It's worth listening/watching the entire presser (15ish min)

https://www.colts.com/news/sam-ehlinger-matt-ryan-starting-quarterback-2022-season-frank-reich-explains

Not a conspiracy guy, but... wouldn't be surprised if anything below is correct

• Perhaps Ryan isn't badly hurt. He played after the hit. And now he's not even practicing? If he was told about the benching, perhaps he said stick up your ..... trade me or pay me the rest of the contract... I'm on a plane... Gonna back to Sugarloaf or Buckhead. IIRC, he still has both places in GA. 
  • Frank did not voluntarily offer the info about Sam being the starter going forward. He started with injury. It was not until the media about the future... Why not say it in the opening.... Trying to keep it quiet... Perhaps to give time for trade or decision for retirement... 
  • Wonder if Irsay feared Ryan would lose the game vs WA (after Snyder comments)... and pushed the move.

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Booger is right here.

Actually Booger was a bit sarcastic. He called it a band aide. And said his sauce was not Chick-Fil-A sauce. 

8 hours ago, TheShadow said:

Why would Ryan do them any favors. They lied to him to come here. They told him we have a great OL, just look at our 3 allpros on the line, just what you need to be sussessful. Then they bench him because it cant be the coaching or the OL. Its all  him. If I was him I would get everything I could. So would you.

Ryan will take all the cheese. And do zero favors for Indy...

And might already back in Sugarloaf or Buckhead. 

Irsay gave Luck a ton cash he didn't earn, when he retired. 

We gave JB an unneeded extension and raise.

Ryan will walk with every cent lol. 

12 hours ago, Nickster said:

See it's not the fact that you guys were wrong, it's that you ridiculed some of us who saw this dumpster fire coming. 

Own up. 

Goodness gracious,

Own up to what? We are 3-3-1. Matt has at least kept us in the playoff mix. Being .500 isn't a dumpster fire. You act like we are 0-7, 1-6,or 2-5. For as bad as his turnovers have been, he has still has 3 come from behind wins and 1 tie. He has also had to deal with Taylor being injured, something Wentz never had to deal with.

I seen your other post saying I sound silly. You are just upset your son Carson Wentz choked away our season last year. I wish Sam well and I like the move. Matt is injured anyway. I already posted that. You are the one that sounds silly.

I was going to take the week off just to get away from here but because of the news today I figured I would show up. This is big news. I wish Sam well, I hope we win the SB with him. 

Something about Ellinger though. I have a pretty good feeling hes no Painter. I didnt take him seriously at all when we drafted him. I have several posts where i called him a wildcat QB. A Taysom Hill guy we bought here to run trick plays. But after the preseason and just watching his tape a bit more hes got a pretty clean game. Knows where to go with the football, not a turnover machine, very mobile athlete and intelligent. Can get guys to rally around and i think hes got heart. We can extend our running game. I think the short passes will continue, however he will allow us to challenge with more deep passes when necessary. Not the strongest arm in the world but not a deal breaker. I think it wont be as bad as some think. With our defense backing him i think the staff thinks we can be like Seattle maybe in Russell Wilsons early days. They won in spite of their bad O line play. I think we are closer to fixing our ground game than we are the pass blocking. Im expecting we will be running more. Weve got a great stable of RB and a QB who can run. I still wouldnt abandon moving Braden to guard. Might want to look at moving Raimann to RT. He and Braden would probably work well in the run game. Leave Kelly at LT.

Yeah, last preseason I thought Sam looked nothing like a starting NFL QB.  This preseason I started to think maybe he could be. 

If the guy doesn't turn the ball over and moves the ball somewhat consistently, you'll be better than you were.

Archived