Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Ehlinger lights it up through training camp

Bert Johns

If Sam lights it up through training camp i say cut Nick Foles or trade him. Here's why. He's younger more mobile and is alot cheaper and has earned the roster spot. I read an article today saying he would be trade bait for another team. Doesn't make sense to me. Yes Nick has nfl experience but that's not as big a deal anymore with the offenses teams are running today. This is where Frank Reich flounders. He's to loyal to players he's familiar with. How did Carson Wentz turn out. I'm a gambler. Roll with youth over experience. Go COLTS

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bert Johns said:

If Sam lights it up through training camp i say cut Nick Foles or trade him. Here's why. He's younger more mobile and is alot cheaper and has earned the roster spot. I read an article today saying he would be trade bait for another team. Doesn't make sense to me. Yes Nick has nfl experience but that's not as big a deal anymore with the offenses teams are running today. This is where Frank Reich flounders. He's to loyal to players he's familiar with. How did Carson Wentz turn out. I'm a gambler. Roll with youth over experience. Go COLTS

Dear God... :facepalm:

I don't think the Chad Kelly comparison is a fair one. I do think it is hopeful that they would even be able to find a trade partner for Foles. Also, if anyone knows Frank they will stick to their guns at the QB position and evaluate in the offseason. The current regime has shown that whatever they agreed on, they will run with it until the end of the league year. 

I think Sam is intriguing, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. 

Foles hasn't really done much to impress. If he dosnt do well during the Lions preseason game, and Sam plays solid again, then we really might need to consider this. The Reich connection makes it less plausible though.

1 minute ago, Happy2BeHere said:

If Sam balls out the next two games Foles would also have to bomb pretty bad for Reich to consider Foles as the 3rd stringer. But personally I’d rather trust Sam over Foles.

the problem with that is if Foles plays poorly we could not get much for him, so i would do a trade now and see if maybe we could get an upgrade for RG

We’re playing for THIS year.   The moment Ryan can’t play, even for only a series, and Sam can’t produce you’ve defeated the point of signing Foles to begin with.  

Foles is the backup.     Sam is likely the future backup.    His future is likely not now. 

3 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

Here’s the thing, say Matt goes down going into the playoffs, are you going to trust a second year player who hasn’t played NFL level playoff football a day in his life to get the job done? Nick has been on that stage and has won big games he is the security blanket.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We’re playing for THIS year.   The moment Ryan can’t play, even for only a series, and Sam can’t produce you’ve defeated the point of signing Foles to begin with.  

Foles is the backup.     Sam is likely the future backup.    His future is likely not now. 

We learned that lesson the hard way last year against the Rams. Wentz went down, and Eason went in and it was too much for him. It ended up costing us the game, and that one game ended up being crucial to us potentially making the playoffs. Win that game and we probably could've lost to both the Raiders and the Jags and it wouldn't have mattered. 

That's why we got Foles. In the event God forbid that Ryan goes down for a spell, Foles can come in and keep the team afloat for a series or even a half. 

Sam isn't ready for that kind of responsibility yet. 

15 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

chad kelly was actually very good . he had off the field issues and was not given a fair shot here .  he was way better than jacoby or eason

His off the field issues were roughly a year or more before coming to the Colts.   He had a great shot here.   A favor from Reich to Kelly’s uncle Jim from the Bills. 

And if he was so good here, why has almost no team given him as much as a look?    I think Green Bay had him in camp last year.   I’m not sure if he’s even in anyones camp this year?

We give players fair chances.   Agents voted Ballard the best GM two years in a row.   We don’t mess with players. 

Edit:   Kelly was not in an NFL roster last year.   This year, he’s now with Toronto of the CFL.   Good luck to him. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

His off the field issues were roughly a year or more before coming to the Colts.   He hit a great shot here.   A favor from Reich to Kelly’s uncle Jim from the Bills. 

And if he was so good here, why has almost no kind given him as much as a look?    I think Green Bay had him in camp last year.   I’m not sure if he’s even in anyones camp this year?

We give players fair chances.   Agents voted Ballard the best GM two years in a row.   We don’t mess with players. 

If you can't find him check local used car lots.

58 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

chad kelly was actually very good . he had off the field issues and was not given a fair shot here .  he was way better than jacoby or eason

If that’s the case why isn’t he on someone’s roster and the other two are?  Do you really think you know more than all 32 GMs in football?

48 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

You guys would all be crying if Matt went down a couple games and we had to rely on Sam. You want a guy who had never played a down of real nfl football or a SB MVP. That isn’t a hard question. 

Yep..I do..why? Because we know for a fact Foles is not a long term solution and we know Ryan isn't a long term solution..we do not know if Sam is

52 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

You guys would all be crying if Matt went down a couple games and we had to rely on Sam. You want a guy who had never played a down of real nfl football or a SB MVP. That isn’t a hard question. 

So you are saying judge only those that have played NFL ball. How is that done, rob graves of former players? Close all colleges?

On 8/19/2022 at 8:53 AM, RollerColt said:

We learned that lesson the hard way last year against the Rams. Wentz went down, and Eason went in and it was too much for him. It ended up costing us the game, and that one game ended up being crucial to us potentially making the playoffs. Win that game and we probably could've lost to both the Raiders and the Jags and it wouldn't have mattered. 

That's why we got Foles. In the event God forbid that Ryan goes down for a spell, Foles can come in and keep the team afloat for a series or even a half. 

Sam isn't ready for that kind of responsibility yet. 

I disagree. Sam has looked better than Foles in both preseason games. If we let Sam go that will be a dumb decesion by colts front office

21 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I disagree. Sam has looked better than Foles in both preseason games. If we let Sam go that will be a dumb decesion by colts front office

Sam has also played against inferior players.    

i don't put allot into preseason games unless it drastically stands out.  

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If foles was starting we would be crying. Sam looks like he has the it factor. 

So alot of folks think nfl experience is everything. You think Bill Belichick would go with the vet just because he has nfl experience. Nope. He would go with his gut something the Colts will never do because they are afraid of losing there job. I would go with the eye test and my gut. Frank is not going to because he's to loyal to his former player alah Carson Wentz. How did that go. Go COLTS 

9 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

So alot of folks think nfl experience is everything. You think Bill Belichick would go with the vet just because he has nfl experience. Nope. He would go with his gut something the Colts will never do because they are afraid of losing there job. I would go with the eye test and my gut. Frank is not going to because he's to loyal to his former player alah Carson Wentz. How did that go. Go COLTS 

“The Colts would never go with their gut”?!?

Huh?   What are you talking about?!?

The Colts are going with their gut with Matt Pryor.   The Colts are going with their gut with Danny Pinter.   That’s 40 percent of the OL including at the most important position.  Let’s not forget, Ballard said the Colts tried to bring back Eric Fisher, so we didn’t think Pryor was a slam dunk to succeed at LT. 

What the Colts are doing is the textbook definition of going with their gut. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Sam has also played against inferior players.    

i don't put allot into preseason games unless it drastically stands out.  

I believe he has stood out, more than any single Colt player, this preseason.

While it is true that Sam has played against inferior players. He also played with inferior players (backups) as his own supporting cast.

Archived