Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Frank Reich be fired if we don't win the AFC South?

2006Coltsbestever

Should Frank Reich be fired if we don't win the AFC South?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Should Frank Reich be fired if we don't win the AFC South?

• yes
    • no

56 minutes ago, Hoose said:

So many facts have to be analyzed before a decision like this could be made. 

1. What factor did key injuries ( there will always be a few ) have in the team's final record?

2. Was the team prepared for each game, and competitive?

3. How did Matt Ryan play? 

4. Did the WR corps show it had the proper depth to hold up over a full season?

5. Was the offensive play calling still a problem even with Matt Ryan at the helm?

6. Did Bradley's D prove to be an improvement over Flus', giving the O the extra possessions it takes to win the tight games?

7. Are the young players showing the necessary improvement over the season to give confidence that the foundation is strong moving forward?

I think the bolded are Reich's biggest challenge to keep his job.    I'd add to it - Did the team lose to far inferior opponents much?  Got to beat the Jags.  

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think not having a division title is a black mark on this regime so far. It's not a tough division, the Titans aren't world beaters, and in four years together Ballard/Reich have no division titles. That's not good.

That said, if we win 12 games and the Titans win 13, what can you do? I'd like to not get swept by the Titans, but winning the division in 2022 isn't the be-all/end-all.

It depends on how it plays out.  If they go 9-8 again and miss the playoffs, if they have a slow start or a collapse at the end, Frank might be gone.

Ballard's not going anywhere.  If you asked me to bet on Ballard being fired after 2022 or being here 8 years from now, I would take the 8 years.  Irsay would be a fool to fire him.  There's certainly enough talent here to win the division and make some noise in the playoffs.

Ive never been Franks biggest fan but I dont want to be one of those franchises that has a revolving door at HC. He is 'good enough'. If we dont get a division title in the next 2 years though I think the clock running short for him. AFC South is always one of the weakest divisions

I thought we had a clear path to winning the division until I saw our schedule.

Incredibly bad luck for us to draw the AFC West.  All those teams are really tough.  KC, Raiders, Denver and LA are really tough.  We're going to have to bring our "A" game those games.

TN has to play the AFC south too, but Colts can't have brain farts and make mistakes late in those games.

So I think we could go in as the 6th or 7th seed which would be fine by me.

Our division is tough too.  We need to split with TN and Jags.  We need to sweep houston.

Jags are going to be much tougher this season in that they have a real coach and now Adam Hutchinson.

41 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think not having a division title is a black mark on this regime so far. It's not a tough division, the Titans aren't world beaters, and in four years together Ballard/Reich have no division titles. That's not good.

That said, if we win 12 games and the Titans win 13, what can you do? I'd like to not get swept by the Titans, but winning the division in 2022 isn't the be-all/end-all.

I don't disagree with this assessment. But we all know that the past four years have been a veritable circus when it comes to the QB position, and no team is going very far when that's the case. Ryan can rectify that problem. If Frank still struggles with play calling at the end of this coming season, it will either be time to give up those duties or, if he refuses, time to move on. Personally, I believe a key part of the problem with Frank's play calling revolved around trying to make sure Wentz didn't screw things up. OR, it was Wentz checking out of the original play call and screwing things up. Either way, I expect the shaky looking play calls to dramatically improve with Matt Ryan at the helm. 

57 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think the playoff berth is more important than the division title, but I think Irsay would definitely like to take (division) that crown again.

59 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree, the division title is not the be-all and most important thing. But I do feel like this regime needs a strong year and a considerable jump in results from last year. Playoff appearance at the very least and hopefully not a one and out one. 

3 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Incredibly bad luck for us to draw the AFC West.  All those teams are really tough.  KC, Raiders, Denver and LA are really tough.  We're going to have to bring our "A" game those games.

TN has to play the AFC south too, but Colts can't have brain farts and make mistakes late in those games.

Our division is tough too.  We need to split with TN and Jags.  We need to sweep houston.

Jags are going to be much tougher this season in that they have a real coach and now Adam Hutchinson.

If we want to take the next step we have to beat the best. We are going to be a good football team too.

4 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Huh? Jags didn't draft Hutchinson. The Lions did. Titans play the AFC West too.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I should have titled the thread if we stay healthy at the key positions, should Reich be fired if we don't win the AFC South. I just assumed everyone would know what I meant. My bad.

I knew what you meant.  I think everyone else did to but people like to pick apart questions to be difficult.  

Saying that, outside Ryan going down or losing half our starter for a long time it doesn’t matter. Even if JT blows an Achilles day one, Reich needs to figure it out. Every team loses starters for the season and faces injuries all year long. Reichs job is to work around it. This is still a playoff team without Taylor...its a Super Bowl capable team with him. 

I voted yes because I feel like Frank’s coaching has already cost us at least 2 division titles.  Last year he kinda gets a pass because Wentz was so helter skelter.  Should he though since he handpicked Carson?  So on his watch we’ve squandered potentially 3 great opportunities at division titles and better playoff seeding.  If that scenario plays out again then he has to go.  This team is too loaded with talent and built to win now.  No more excuses. 

If we falter again like those previous times, I say we fire Frank and make a serious run at Sean Payton.  He knows the Hall of Fame caliber QB that Ryan is and the talent we have on both sides of the ball.  Imagine his creative offensive schemes with the talent we have….

It’s time for Frank to get the absolute most out of these rosters.  That means a division title and a deep playoff run.  Barring catastrophic injuries, those are the bare minimums I’m willing to accept from Frank.  We’ve been more than capable 3 of the last 4 years.  Time for Frank to take this team to the next level.  And if he can’t, get someone in here who can.

9 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Just FYI…. 

The Jags don’t have Hutchinson.  They passed in him and drafted Walker, the DE from Georgia. 

Hutchinson went next to Detroit. 

No matter who makes polls like this, I just hate them.   It’s June….  Nobody knows nothing.   We think we know, but we have plenty of question marks of our own.  And nobody knows what injuries we will incur during the season. 

And considering we’re in the bottom few for Covid vaccinations, and we saw what it did at the end of last year, so all sorts of things could go wrong. 

Are there circumstances that could lead to Frank getting fired?   Yes.   But I don’t see that happening.   Irsay appears to like him and Ballard loves him.   I think Reich returns in ‘23.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No matter who makes polls like this, I just hate them.   It’s June….  Nobody knows nothing.   We think we know, but we have plenty of question marks of our own.  And nobody knows what injuries we will incur during the season. 

And considering we’re in the bottom few for Covid vaccinations, and we saw what it did at the end of last year, so all sorts of things could go wrong. 

Are there circumstances that could lead to Frank getting fired?   Yes.   But I don’t see that happening.   Irsay appears to like him and Ballard loves him.   I think Reich returns in ‘23.

You don't like polls like this because they go against your "appeal to authority" argument. This is a very valid poll, and there's lots of evidence that could be used to support both sides (probably more towards my side than yours). Coaches don't get free passes due to injuries most of the time. If Matt Ryan gets hurt by chance, Reich already has Nick Foles (who is his guy) ready, so there's no excuses there. The Titans got the no1 seed without Henry most of the year, so if Taylor gets hurt, you can't use that excuse for Reich. We also have an improved team at most every other position as well. 

You are down to using bad luck excuses like injury and covid to defend Reich. He doesn't deserve to be a HC, I don't care what Irsay and Ballard think. In fact, if we miss the playoffs this year and Reich doesn't get fired. I won't watch the team until Reich is fired starting in 2023. Hopefully the fanbase smartens up and hits Irsay where it hurts if Reich doesn't perform as a HC, in the attendance on TV where it embarrasses him nationally, the ratings, and most importantly, in the pocketbooks by not buying tickets and letting away fans swarm the stadium during home games in Indy.

Gotta see how it plays out.  Say Matt Ryan suffers a season end injury in week one (knocks on wood) and Frank leads them to 9-8 or 10-7 I think he would keep his job.  Say they do that with a healthy Matt Ryan and I think his job would be in serious jeopardy.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You don't like polls like this because they go against your "appeal to authority" argument. This is a very valid poll, and there's lots of evidence that could be used to support both sides (probably more towards my side than yours). Coaches don't get free passes due to injuries most of the time. If Matt Ryan gets hurt by chance, Reich already has Nick Foles (who is his guy) ready, so there's no excuses there. The Titans got the no1 seed without Henry most of the year, so if Taylor gets hurt, you can't use that excuse for Reich. We also have an improved team at most every other position as well. 

You are down to using bad luck excuses like injury and covid to defend Reich. He doesn't deserve to be a HC, I don't care what Irsay and Ballard think. In fact, if we miss the playoffs this year and Reich doesn't get fired. I won't watch the team until Reich is fired starting in 2023. Hopefully the fanbase smartens up and hits Irsay where it hurts if Reich doesn't perform as a HC, in the attendance on TV where it embarrasses him nationally, the ratings, and most importantly, in the pocketbooks by not buying tickets and letting away fans swarm the stadium during home games in Indy.

You are entitled to any opinion you want.  Suffice to say we see the issue of Frank completely different. 

But I think your view that Frank doesn’t even deserve to be a head coach is jaw dropping. That’s not only the opposite of what Irsay and  Ballard think, but also Polian as well.  Remember, it was Polian who recommended him to Ballard.  

And your view goes against what mainstream media like ESPN, NFLN, and PFF all think.  

And to add to all that, your view is well out of the mainstream of the discussion thread if Frank is a Top-10 HC.  People either think yes, or no.  And the vast majority of the ones who say no think he’s top15.   Except you. 

You get to own this.  

We can check back on this at the end of the season. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You are entitled to any opinion you want.  Suffice to say we see the issue of Frank completely different. 

But I think your view that Frank doesn’t even deserve to be a head coach is jaw dropping. That’s not only the opposite of what Irsay and  Ballard think, but also Polian as well.  Remember, it was Polian who recommended him to Ballard.  

And your view goes against what mainstream media like ESPN, NFLN, and PFF all think.  

And to add to all that, your view is well out of the mainstream of the discussion thread if Frank is a Top-10 HC.  People either think yes, or no.  And the vast majority of the ones who say no think he’s top15.   Except you. 

You get to own this.  

We can check back on this at the end of the season. 

I too think he's probably a top 10-15 coach in the league. But I also think that results should matter AT SOME POINT! Frank's results have been mediocre as a HC thus far. I allow for some level of luck(or lackthereof) and I do think he's been dealt with some heavy blows in those years, but AT SOME POINT... at some point he needs to deliver results. We cannot be here in 2025 talking about him being top 10 coach and not deserving of blame/firing with 1 playoff win in 8-9 years. 

What's that point for you? How many more win now seasons where we don't win anything of note are you willing to tolerate? 

Sure ...It makes perfect sense to have a different QB every year and fire the coach and GM every 4 years or so. While we are at it, let's change the team name to Browns or Lions too. Teams like the Steelers ( 3 coaches in like 40 years) and Ravens are obviously doing it the wrong way . Stability is overated.  :lol:

On 6/13/2022 at 10:52 AM, stitches said:

Honestly... probably both Frank and Ballard should be on the hot seat if we don't take a major step forward this season. I would have understood them taking a step back with a young QB and would have been good with another no playoff season if we were looking with one eye towards the future, BUT when both Frank and Ballard are playing the win-now game and are making moves that signify they think this team should be contending right now ... then they should also be held accountable if that team doesn't meet expectations. :dunno: People around here are way too comfortable with failure. When the FO and ownere and coaches are all telling you we are going for it, and then don't deliver, this shouldn't be brushed aside, especially since it won't be the first time they've underdelivered miserably after overpromising in the off-season. 

I like both Frank and Ballard but at some point results have to matter. This is especially true when we are actually chasing results and not rebuilding... 

I agree with pretty much all of this. Not immediately fired but very much on the hot seat.

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Sure ...It makes perfect sense to have a different QB every year and fire the coach and GM every 4 years or so. While we are at it, let's change the team name to Browns or Lions too. Teams like the Steelers ( 3 coaches in like 40 years) and Ravens are obviously doing it the wrong way . Stability is overated.  :lol:

Two sides to that QB situation. Reich also had the QB he wanted the last two years. Backdoored into the playoffs bc they expanded due to Covid then fell flat the 2nd year and missed completely.  I think Reich had a huge say in wanting a veteran instead of drafting someone.  While not 100% his fault, it’s 100% his responsibility to make it work.  The team had shown patience and understanding and why he is back for year 5, he needs to make the playoffs. 

I loved Andrew Luck and I don't blame him for retiring when he did, but that decision well and truly put this team at the mercy of the NFL gods.... We have never been in a position to find that real replacement for Luck as our franchise QB. Reich and Ballard have been doing the best they can with the hand they were dealt. We have always had too good of a team to be high enough in the draft to get a young franchise QB, even when our's walked out of the door, this team didn't have the bottom fall out. That is testament to Reich and Ballard. 

We have had such a good overall team over the last 5 years, it's because of that we have been in the QB situation we have been for so long. How is no one else seeing this? If the same thing happened to most other franchises, they would have capitulated and fallen apart and gone into total rebuilds... not us. 

You keep Frank and Ballard. This team would be on it's 5th head coach/GM combo in as many years without them. I'm personally of the opinion that we keep Ryan for the next year or two, win what we can with him, and stockpile some picks in the meantime by trading down for future picks and then when Ryan is out the door, you give Reich and Ballard their pick of the crop by trading the farm to get up in the draft for that franchise QB. You let Reich coach him up and we go from there.

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I should have titled the thread if we stay healthy at the key positions, should Reich be fired if we don't win the AFC South. I just assumed everyone would know what I meant. My bad.

That gets back to a point I made by asking a tangential question:

Do you think Nelson and Leonard are key players? 

Is Nelson more key than he would be if Ballard signed Reed for $3M a year?

Is Pryor a key player?

Under what conditions would you blame Frank?

Lots of variables makes it difficult to answer a simple question, IMO.

Doubt it's as cut and dry as just firing him if they don't win division or make playoffs. I'd definitely consider it though, he's shown signs of being a very good coach by times, and sometimes he just makes you scratch your head. The pieces are in place and the South looks ripe for the taking. If injuries don't de-rail them...they should be contenders and Frank should be on the hot seat if they falter.

40 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I loved Andrew Luck and I don't blame him for retiring when he did, but that decision well and truly put this team at the mercy of the NFL gods.... We have never been in a position to find that real replacement for Luck as our franchise QB. Reich and Ballard have been doing the best they can with the hand they were dealt. We have always had too good of a team to be high enough in the draft to get a young franchise QB, even when our's walked out of the door, this team didn't have the bottom fall out. That is testament to Reich and Ballard. 

We have had such a good overall team over the last 5 years, it's because of that we have been in the QB situation we have been for so long. How is no one else seeing this? If the same thing happened to most other franchises, they would have capitulated and fallen apart and gone into total rebuilds... not us. 

You keep Frank and Ballard. This team would be on it's 5th head coach/GM combo in as many years without them. I'm personally of the opinion that we keep Ryan for the next year or two, win what we can with him, and stockpile some picks in the meantime by trading down for future picks and then when Ryan is out the door, you give Reich and Ballard their pick of the crop by trading the farm to get up in the draft for that franchise QB. You let Reich coach him up and we go from there.

We did have the chance to get our choice of Tua or Herbert.  Instead we decided to trade for Buckner and sign Rivers.  That was the chance to reset after Luck.  I think the Colts over estimated how good they really were.  I would have moved up and got one of them while our core was still on their rookie contracts.  Instead, it kicked the can down the road and we are on our third veteran QB.

By the time we draft a QB and groom him to be ready to contend this roster will be aging out. We have a decent chance with Ryan to make some noise so maybe I’m wrong here. However, both the Chargers and Dolphins are loading up to go with it.  That should be us. 

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

It makes no sense really but in reality we should win the division if our key players are healthy. Reich is in year 5, Tomlin won a SB in his 2nd yr. If Reich won a SB and we were even bad for 3 years straight, of course he would get a pass. Harbaugh with the Ravens has also won a SB and Division Titles. I defend Frank all the time, I have said he is top 15 so lets not get this twisted as in I don't think Frank isn't good. Frank is above average to good. After a while though, you need major results. Tomlin has done that, Harbaugh has done that so of course any owner with half a mind would keep those coaches for at least a decade.

16 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

We did have the chance to get our choice of Tua or Herbert.  Instead we decided to trade for Buckner and sign Rivers.  That was the chance to reset after Luck.  I think the Colts over estimated how good they really were.  I would have moved up and got one of them while our core was still on their rookie contracts.  Instead, it kicked the can down the road and we are on our third veteran QB.

By the time we draft a QB and groom him to be ready to contend this roster will be aging out. We have a decent chance with Ryan to make some noise so maybe I’m wrong here. However, both the Chargers and Dolphins are loading up to go with it.  That should be us. 

If we somehow win a SB by doing what we are doing it will be worth it. If I can get a SB win I would even take being bad for 2 or 3 years while we rebuild once Ryan retires.

8 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I voted yes because I feel like Frank’s coaching has already cost us at least 2 division titles.  Last year he kinda gets a pass because Wentz was so helter skelter.

I don't give him a pass because of Wentz.   He was a big part of why we brought in Wentz.  

That said, Reich can redeem himself this season if the team performs well.  They are a solid team and should win 11-13 games if they are coached well.  With Ryan as QB, we should not accept any games where we run 16 times and pass 54 times in a loss.  

If the team is healthy and only win 9 or 10 games and misses the playoffs, Reich could/should be let go.  

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

You are more sold on Tua than I am.   I think it is very possible that the Dolphins will be in mediocrity he ll for several years with Tua.   We also could have drafted Love in that draft.   It would put us in the same position so I am glad we did not do that.  Buckner was a far superior player to use our first rounder on.  

2 hours ago, Myles said:

You are more sold on Tua than I am.   I think it is very possible that the Dolphins will be in mediocrity he ll for several years with Tua.   We also could have drafted Love in that draft.   It would put us in the same position so I am glad we did not do that.  Buckner was a far superior player to use our first rounder on.  

I’m not sold on Tua. Just saying we could have traded up and had our choice.   Buckner is an incredible player and we got great value for what we spent.  I just think the Colts brass thought Buckner and Rivers with the vets we already had were enough to push us over the top and I think that wasn’t a bad decision, just not the best decision. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we somehow win a SB by doing what we are doing it will be worth it. If I can get a SB win I would even take being bad for 2 or 3 years while we rebuild once Ryan retires.

I think we talked in another thread about that.  Where Stafford was the only bet acquired by trade to win a SB in the last 20yrs.  I understand the moves we are making.  Even if we make an AFC championship game it will be worth it.  That gives us a shot at making a SB. We only made two SBs with Manning, it’s hard to get there and really shouldn’t be expected.  Just demand a shot at it and enjoy it if it comes

18 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m not sold on Tua. Just saying we could have traded up and had our choice.   Buckner is an incredible player and we got great value for what we spent.  I just think the Colts brass thought Buckner and Rivers with the vets we already had were enough to push us over the top and I think that wasn’t a bad decision, just not the best decision. 

I am not a fan of giving up multiple good picks to move up and draft a QB.   Sure, Manning and Luck were sure things, but we have seen many teams do it multiple times without success.   It is still a crap shoot most of the time.   Just look at the 2018 QB's drafted in the first round - Mayfield, Darnold, Allen and Rosen.  Allen would have been worth the picks given up but the other 3 would not have been.  

22 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We will never know Reich’s full potential until he gets some stability at QB. If Ryan plays 3 more years that should give us some stability.

Just saying...but the last time Reich had real stability at QB was when he was in SD as the OC, he was fired after two seasons. It wasn't as a HC, but I don't really think there is some untapped potential with Reich.

14 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think we talked in another thread about that.  Where Stafford was the only bet acquired by trade to win a SB in the last 20yrs.  I understand the moves we are making.  Even if we make an AFC championship game it will be worth it.  That gives us a shot at making a SB. We only made two SBs with Manning, it’s hard to get there and really shouldn’t be expected.  Just demand a shot at it and enjoy it if it comes

Until this season, I think he's also by far the best to be traded. In the past, it's been guys like Jay Cutler, Alex Smith, Kevin Kolb, Nick Foles, Sam Bradford, etc. 

46 minutes ago, Myles said:I am not a fan of giving up multiple good picks to move up and draft a QB.   Sure, Manning and Luck were sure things, but we have seen many teams do it multiple times without success.   It is still a crap shoot most of the time.   Just look at the 2018 QB's drafted in the first round - Mayfield, Darnold, Allen and Rosen.  Allen would have been worth the picks given up but the other 3 would not have been.  

I’m not a fan of giving up picks either. Trading for or signing veterans other than GOATs has historically proved to be ineffective as well.  Drafting a guy has been the number one way to get results while also failing miserably as well.  We will never know the internal discussion Ballard and Reich had about Herbert and Tua. If they didn’t like them I understand passing on trading up.  This is a tough business and I’m glad I’m just a fan. 

Archived