Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Frank Reich be fired if we don't win the AFC South?

2006Coltsbestever

Should Frank Reich be fired if we don't win the AFC South?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Should Frank Reich be fired if we don't win the AFC South?

• yes
    • no

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it may hinge on more than making playoffs/winning division or not..

If we make playoffs and our exit is a "stinker", that could be Reich's walking papers as well? Remember last season's  collapse left a Bad Taste in Irsays mouth and a less than inspiring playoff exit may not satisfy a hungry owner. 

But more importantly than this season's results is who will be available and be willing to come to indy to coach? Bringing in someone worst than Reich is a real possibility.  You want a significant upgrade, not just bring in someone that reminds us of a Pagano or one of the many HC's before Dungy. This franchise doesn't have a history of hiring elite/high profile coaches so there's a good chance the next coach will be same ole same ole.....so if that's the case what's the point?

So, if we lose the AFC South, its because of Frank.  I'll bet the people who say that would also say that if we DO win the AFC South, its NOT because of Frank but its because of Ballard.

LOL.  Watch.  We'll win the AFC South, and then see if 53% of the posts will praise Ballard and not Frank.

The majority rules, and citing it is useful when pretending to win the internet.  But never trust it as being the measure of correctness.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So, if we lose the AFC South, its because of Frank.  I'll bet the people who say that would also say that if we DO win the AFC South, its NOT because of Frank but its because of Ballard.

LOL.  Watch.  We'll win the AFC South, and then see if 53% of the posts will praise Ballard and not Frank.

The majority rules, and citing it is useful when pretending to win the internet.  But never trust it as being the measure of correctness.

I'm not particularly fond of Reich as our playcaller, but whether or not he gets praise IF we win the AFC South is entirely down to how many games his playcalling will cost us this year.

If we win and Reich costs us another 2-3 games I can guarantee you Ballard and likely Ryan will get praised and not Reich. Blind fans will likely overlook this and quote posts like yours and go "TOLD YOU SO!"... 

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I'm not particularly fond of Reich as our playcaller, but whether or not he gets praise IF we win the AFC South is entirely down to how many games his playcalling will cost us this year.

If we win and Reich costs us another 2-3 games I can guarantee you Ballard and likely Ryan will get praised and not Reich. Blind fans will likely overlook this and quote posts like yours and go "TOLD YOU SO!"... 

it always makes me laugh when people say his play calling cost us games. He could have the perfect play and I’d players don’t execute it won’t work. Every coach also makes a decision on whether to kick FG orzo go for it. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t.  Every coach takes heat when something doesn’t work. 

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Playcalling costing us games AND we win the AFC South?  You think we got a 14-3 roster?  Your bias is already evident, LOL. 

The poll was simple, If we lose the South, should we fire Frank.  Conversely, if we win the South, should we praise Frank.  (except for some reason people want to qualify the inverse, LOL)

I am a Frank Reich fan, glad he is our coach. I think he is top 15 going into 2022. Love his style = going for it on 4th when many in here bash him for it, he gets along with the players, etc.. Having said that, some being upset or not about this thread I created doesn't make sense, now you know why I created it by looking at the voting. We have had 80 votes and it is 42 Yes, 38 No. That tells me a lot. What is funny is, I defend Frank more than many in here. I just created this thread to see where everyone stands. 42 Yes's is a lot. Should we get rid of coaches every 2 or 3 years, No. If a coach doesn't get 1 Division Title in 5 years of coaching, people have to look at that closely though, I didn't even bring up SB. Frank got a raw deal when Andrew retired but we now have a very good roster and a good QB that has won big games. 

People can literally get cute about this and say what if Matt Ryan goes down or Taylor goes down or Leonard, then what?? Of course, that won't be Frank's fault lmao . I am saying if our star players stay healthy we should win the division.

Imagine if someone created a thread 'If Frank doesn't win the SB should he be fired'. Ok that would be sad and that is at least 3 times harder than winning the AFC South with the roster we have. I basically created this thread to get people's opinions and IMO I also think we should win the division, why shouldn't we if healthy? Tennessee is good but I am convinced we are better  now with Matt Ryan. Jacks and Houston, we should smoke if we are good.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok that would be sad and that is at least 3 times harder than winning the AFC South with the roster we have.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tennessee is good but I am convinced we are better  now with Matt Ryan.

If it turns out that Yannick doesn't rush the passer well, or Paye; Gilmore doesn't cover well, Dayo does little, and Pryor doesn't block well, will you blame Frank for that?

Gus?  Ballard?

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Playcalling costing us games AND we win the AFC South?  You think we got a 14-3 roster?  Your bias is already evident, LOL. 

The poll was simple, If we lose the South, should we fire Frank.  Conversely, if we win the South, should we praise Frank.  (except for some reason people want to qualify the inverse, LOL)

I have us at somewhere between 8-9 and 12-5 and I said IF we win the South.

I think 10-7 will be enough to win a weak AFC South. If Reich costs us 3 games that would make us a 13-4 team at best for us to go 10-7. 

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Imagine if someone created a thread 'If Frank doesn't win the SB should he be fired'. Ok that would be sad and that is at least 3 times harder than winning the AFC South with the roster we have. I basically created this thread to get people's opinions and IMO I also think we should win the division, why shouldn't we if healthy? Tennessee is good but I am convinced we are better  now with Matt Ryan. Jacks and Houston, we should smoke if we are good.

If we're healthy we should win the South without much fuss. I think walking into the playoffs as anything but the South champs should be considered a L especially with what we invested this off-season. I'm not advocating for Wentz but he was the sacrificial lamb for last year's collapse. Now you have a former MVP albeit in the twilight of his career, playmakers on both side of the ball. We have so many pro bowl players. No excuses. If it happens this year I personally think Reichs time should be done. We simply cannot afford to waste the prime of our roster hoping it works.

17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

TN won't be a pushover at all if Henry is back to form. 

They, like us, will have newbs on the OL. 

They'll still have a decent D, especially that DL.

I very much expect us to split our games possibly sweep. I just think Ryan moves the needle enough to take it.

5 hours ago, FuedinHatfield said:

I very much expect us to split our games possibly sweep. I just think Ryan moves the needle enough to take it.

I think Ryan moves the needle enough to where we go 5-1 in the division and split with Tennessee. I think we finally win at Jacks and sweep their rear's The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

This poll is one of the best poll's I have ever seen (43 yes-41 no). Hey if we win the division it should be 100 No's -0 Yes. If we let a team led by Tannehill beat us with the roster we got now I will croak. All I ask for is a Division Title and 1 playoff win at worse, if that happens then in Matt's 2nd year maybe we can take it all.  

47 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This poll is one of the best poll's I have ever seen (43 yes-41 no). Hey if we win the division it should be 100 No's -0 Yes. If we let a team led by Tannehill beat us with the roster we got now I will croak. All I ask for is a Division Title and 1 playoff win at worse, if that happens then in Matt's 2nd year maybe we can take it all.  

TN's roster isn't near as bad as you're painting it. 

On O, both teams will have newbs on the OL. Both teams will be relying on unproven pass catchers. 

Their DL was much much better than ours last season and they return just about everyone. We're hoping Ngakoue and a new scheme closes the gap. They have 4 really young DBs that could end up being very good. Fulton should be good this season, and Farley (their 1st rounder last season) should take a step forward. They took another good young CB in the 2nd round this year too. 

In short, both teams have a lot of newbs and young pups they'll need to rely on. But mostly I think TN's fate will hang largely on how well Henry comes back. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

TN's roster isn't near as bad as you're painting it. 

On O, both teams will have newbs on the OL. Both teams will be relying on unproven pass catchers. 

Their DL was much much better than ours last season and they return just about everyone. We're hoping Ngakoue and a new scheme closes the gap. They have 4 really young DBs that could end up being very good. Fulton should be good this season, and Farley (their 1st rounder last season) should take a step forward. They took another good young CB in the 2nd round this year too. 

In short, both teams have a lot of newbs and young pups they'll need to rely on. But mostly I think TN's fate will hang largely on how well Henry comes back. 

I talked to my uncle today who lives in Kentucky. He has been a Titans fan since the McNair days. He Brags about the AFC Championship in 1999. He agrees with me though, he thinks Tannehill isn't the answer. He likes the rookie they drafted even. I once again tried to bet him a steak dinner (just Texas Roadhouse - still good) on who would win the division and he declined. He leans toward Indy and he loves the Titans. He thinks Henry is a God haha . 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I talked to my uncle today who lives in Kentucky. He has been a Titans fan since the McNair days. He Brags about the AFC Championship in 1999. He agrees with me though, he thinks Tannehill isn't the answer. He likes the rookie they drafted even. I once again tried to bet him a steak dinner (just Texas Roadhouse - still good) on who would win the division and he declined. He leans toward Indy and he loves the Titans. He thinks Henry is a God haha . 

Folks can bag on Tannehill all they want. He's been effective and has graded well. He's an OK QB, good runner, but he fits fine in terms of what they ask of him. If Henry is truly back, they'll be good. They have as many Qs as we do though, so either team could be better than expected, or worse than expected. 

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Folks can bag on Tannehill all they want. He's been effective and has graded well. He's an OK QB, good runner, but he fits fine in terms of what they ask of him. If Henry is truly back, they'll be good. They have as many Qs as we do though, so either team could be better than expected, or worse than expected. 

I think Tannehill is above average which isn't bagging on him, he doesn't stink. He is like Wentz to me. Can get you to the playoffs but not much after. My uncle told me today in convo that McNair was much better and I agree with that. McNair was hair away from winning the SB. 

When it comes Tannehill, I do bag on him but he is top half of the league and stats prove that. So there are worse options. My uncle hates him lmao . He told me if Matt Ryan would've been the QB on Tennessee last year that they would've won the SB.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Tannehill is above average which isn't bagging on him, he doesn't stink. He is like Wentz to me. Can get you to the playoffs but not much after. My uncle told me today in convo that McNair was much better and I agree with that. McNair was hair away from winning the SB. 

When it comes Tannehill, I do bag on him but he is top half of the league and stats prove that. So there are worse options. My uncle hates him lmao . He told me if Matt Ryan would've been the QB on Tennessee last year that they would've won the SB.

I easily like MR over Tannehill, but overall as a team, I can see either team breaking one way or another. TN's O just doesn't ask that much from a QB. The Colts should win the AFCS, but it's simply very close and both teams have a ton of ???s... 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I easily like MR over Tannehill, but overall as a team, I can see either team breaking one way or another. TN's O just doesn't ask that much from a QB. The Colts should win the AFCS, but it's simply very close and both teams have a ton of ???s... 

It is going to be a fun year brother. I got my bet in for the Colts making the AFC Title Game at 9-1, I put 200 on it, so if I win that means 1800 dollars. It is now down to 7-1 so not sure what is materializing? Maybe TY is coming back or who knows?? By the way Tannehill is a good dude and an above average QB, he did win the division last year. 

On 6/18/2022 at 12:43 PM, throwing BBZ said:

Must be a good day for sniffing glue. 

I will never forget this, I was probably 11 or 12 years old and a group of bullies were teasing this kid for sniffing glue. I stepped in and stopped it, they got in my face but they did nothing - I told them to get lost. That poor kid was put through hell. My mom and I bought him Burger Chef back in the day.

On 6/21/2022 at 10:45 AM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

it always makes me laugh when people say his play calling cost us games. He could have the perfect play and I’d players don’t execute it won’t work. Every coach also makes a decision on whether to kick FG orzo go for it. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t.  Every coach takes heat when something doesn’t work. 

True but it's also his job of putting players in positions where they are more likely to succeed (execute). 

On 6/18/2022 at 10:13 AM, EastStreet said:

Assuming Ryan is healthy, if we don't make the playoffs, buh-bye Frank.

Ballard is safe regardless. Drafting, cap, and roster management has been very solid overall. 

They will win the South. I really think they have a shot at going all the way.

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

They will win the South. I really think they have a shot at going all the way.

If certain things break our way, we can go deep. But we need a lot of things to go right. 

If Henry comes back from injury strong, they'll likely be back strong too. 

On 6/21/2022 at 9:04 AM, DougDew said:

I mean…he’s the only scapegoat left if they don’t win the AFCS. 

First it was Luck’s retirement. 

Second was the ensuing QB carousel over the recent years.

Then it was Wentz (even though he was supposed to be the end of the carousel). 

On that note, I was not a fan and agree that Wentz had to go, but the way the media (and in turn many fans) have pinned it all on him has been unfair IMO. 

Now Matty Ice is dubbed the best QB since Luck and the media talks non-stop about accuracy what an improvement he will be. So can’t blame it on the QB or the QB situation anymore.

And the roster is being billed as one of the most well-rounded in the NFL. Injuries are something every team deals with, so can’t put it on that (outside of maybe QB). 

So that just really just leaves Reich as the only remaining scapegoat. And I think you are right that he would take the blame if they don’t win the AFCS or get in as a WC and do some damage. Conversely, if they do win the AFCS, it will just be confirmation bias for what people already thought.

On 6/21/2022 at 11:07 PM, EastStreet said:

TN won't be a pushover at all if Henry is back to form. 

They, like us, will have newbs on the OL. 

They'll still have a decent D, especially that DL.

They have a really good defense. It sort of snuck up on everybody because of how bad it was in 2019-20z

Their DL has Simmons (if they can get his contract figured out), Landry, Dupree, Autry. I would say that’s on par with the Colts.

Their front 7 is good overall too with Long and Cunningham (who they got for free basically) at ILB, though neither player is as good as Leonard. 

And they have an excellent secondary with Fulton (big leap last year), Molden (great rookie season) and possibly the best S duo in Byard and Hooker. They also drafted McCreary in the early 2nd round AND they get back Farley (1st round pick from last year). They might not even need him, but is Farley stays healthy, that could be a top 5 secondary. 

The offenses are also pretty similar, outside of maybe the OL. Which is very different from the perception of most in the media (which I don’t really get). They are even built somewhat similarly. 

I really don’t even see an edge for either the Colts or the Titans…very equal teams. It will likely come down to QB play. But while Matty Ice has the track record, Tannehill is only one year removed from playing at an extremely high level, so that’s not a given either. I don’t buy that Ryan will play much better on the Colts, but Tannehill can’t do that in TEN (when he actually did that very recently in 2019 and 2020). They could both be very good.

I think the Colts can win the AFCS, but like you said, TEN isn’t a pushover at all. Colts will have to take it from them. 

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

They have a really good defense. It sort of snuck up on everybody because of how bad it was in 2019-20z

Their DL has Simmons (if they can get his contract figured out), Landry, Dupree, Autry. I would say that’s on par with the Colts.

Their front 7 is good overall too with Long and Cunningham (who they got for free basically) at ILB, though neither player is as good as Leonard. 

And they have an excellent secondary with Fulton (big leap last year), Molden (great rookie season) and possibly the best S duo in Byard and Hooker. They also drafted McCreary in the early 2nd round AND they get back Farley (1st round pick from last year). They might not even need him, but is Farley stays healthy, that could be a top 5 secondary. 

Yup, the D will be good. I give their DL the nod over ours simply because they've proven it (last season). Ours is good on paper, but assumes the new scheme works early, and some of the guys improve/breakout. I'm pumped about our upside, just cautious as I know we're assuming things.

I agree their secondary is going to be good. I'm excited to see ours too. The addition of McLeod and Cross was nice, and outweighs Khari's departure. I'm curious to see who ends up at FS and who at SS between McLeod, Blackmon, and Cross. I think Cross will take some time, but his upside is pretty high at either position in a C3. I think Blackmon could be PB or All Pro at strong safety. 

Lot of Qs with our CBs, but pretty confident in Gilmore and Rodgers. The Moore situation looms large, and I'm not quite there yet on Facyson. Hope we don't let the Moore situation linger into TC. If it does, I'd be looking to sign another CB. 

The offenses are also pretty similar, outside of maybe the OL. Which is very different from the perception of most in the media (which I don’t really get). They are even built somewhat similarly. 

I think the OLs are very similar. Both are replacing 2 spots, and were much better run blocking than pass pro last season. 

And both pass catching groups have new and unproven pieces. 

TN could have a very nice 1-2 punch of Woods and Burks. Indy a nice 1-2 with Pitt and Campbell if he can stay healthy. I think folks are expecting way too much from AP as a rook. He'll be good, but he'll need some time. 

I really don’t even see an edge for either the Colts or the Titans…very equal teams. It will likely come down to QB play. But while Matty Ice has the track record, Tannehill is only one year removed from playing at an extremely high level, so that’s not a given either. I don’t buy that Ryan will play much better on the Colts, but Tannehill can’t do that in TEN (when he actually did that very recently in 2019 and 2020). They could both be very good.

I think the Colts can win the AFCS, but like you said, TEN isn’t a pushover at all. Colts will have to take it from them. 

I give Indy a slight advantage just because of QB, and a little because Henry is coming back from injury while JT is peaking. I think the Ds will end up being a wash. Vegas odds favors Indy a tiny bit, and the power rankings from PFF and ESPN are split. PFF has Indy a few spots ahead of TN, and ESPN has TN a few spots ahead of TN.

--------------------------------------------------------------

On the topic of Reich and Ballard.....

I think Reich needs to at minimum do the obvious things and win the games he's supposed to. IMO, we should have at minimum 11 wins. If we get less, I think it's fair to bag on Reich. If we win the games we're supposed to, and do better than 11, then Reich likely deserves some praise. 

I've listed PFF's power ranks below.

• Games we should expect to win (10)
    • sweep lowly Jax #27
    • sweep lowly Houston #28
    • split with TN #17
    • Beat bad teams (at NYG #26, at Vikes #22, and Pitt #21 and WA #23 in Indy)
    • Beat average teams we'll likely be favored over at home (Philly #13)
  • Go .500 vs tough teams at home (that would get us to 11)
    • KC #4
    • LAC #5
  • Get at least one road win against decent teams. We're ranked higher than the Raiders and Pats. Get one of those, and that'll get us to 12.  
    • at Denver #7
    • at TN #17
    • at NE #18
    • at Raiders #16
    • at Dallas #12

So basically win 10 that should be expected, and go 2-5 vs decent and good teams... I don't think that's too much to ask.

Ballard is safe whatever happens. 4th healthiest cap, good drafting, and this year a pretty good roster on paper. 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

I mean…he’s the only scapegoat left if they don’t win the AFCS. 

First it was Luck’s retirement. 

Second was the ensuing QB carousel over the recent years.

Then it was Wentz (even though he was supposed to be the end of the carousel). 

On that note, I was not a fan and agree that Wentz had to go, but the way the media (and in turn many fans) have pinned it all on him has been unfair IMO. 

Now Matty Ice is dubbed the best QB since Luck and the media talks non-stop about accuracy what an improvement he will be. So can’t blame it on the QB or the QB situation anymore.

And the roster is being billed as one of the most well-rounded in the NFL. Injuries are something every team deals with, so can’t put it on that (outside of maybe QB). 

So that just really just leaves Reich as the only remaining scapegoat. And I think you are right that he would take the blame if they don’t win the AFCS or get in as a WC and do some damage. Conversely, if they do win the AFCS, it will just be confirmation bias for what people already thought.

Winning the AFC South is tough to predict because other teams have talent too.

Frank bashers just don't get it.

The Colts will be a playoff contender once the WRs, TEs, QBs, and pass rushers are of playoff contending talent.  If that is the case this year, (unlike the past 4 years). then the team will have the record it should, and Frank will not be a scapegoat. 

If they are not playoff contending talent, and the Colts do not perform well enough, then Frank should not be the scapegoat.

We still have not established how Frank can coach playoff caliber talent, because the roster has not had enough playoff caliber talent.  Pretty simple stuff if a person hasn't already made their opinion about Frank.

Its interesting to see how many bash Frank during the season, and then talk about how many holes we have to fill in the offseason, LOL.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Winning the AFC South is tough to predict because other teams have talent too.

Frank bashers just don't get it.

The Colts will be a playoff contender once the WRs, TEs, QBs, and pass rushers are of playoff contending talent.  If that is the case this year, (unlike the past 4 years). then the team will have the record it should, and Frank will not be a scapegoat. 

If they are not playoff contending talent, and the Colts do not perform well enough, then Frank should not be the scapegoat.

We still have not established how Frank can coach playoff caliber talent, because the roster has not had enough playoff caliber talent.  Pretty simple stuff if a person hasn't already made their opinion about Frank.

Its interesting to see how many bash Frank during the season, and then talk about how many holes we have to fill in the offseason, LOL.

The above is LOL hilarious.

The team would have been a playoff team had we not had an entire team collapse in the last game of the season vs a super awful team....

An "entire team collapse" is more on coaching than anything. 

You're basically saying it's impossible for Frank to be fallible. 

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The above is LOL hilarious.

The team would have been a playoff team had we not had an entire team collapse in the last game of the season vs a super awful team....

An "entire team collapse" is more on coaching than anything. 

You're basically saying it's impossible for Frank to be fallible. 

My goodness.  You inject so much bias into your analytics it makes me think you are just another phony stat guy.

Choose a point in the data set where we are at the peak of making the playoffs, then judge Frank by measuring at the start of the down turn.

A fairer way.....,considering that we had huge holes in the playoff caliber level of talent at WR, TE, LT, Pass Rush, Safeties, and a wonky QB all year, it was probably great coaching that got us into playoff consideration in the first place.

Archived