Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Frank Reich be fired if we don't win the AFC South?


Should Frank Reich be fired if we don't win the AFC South?  

89 members have voted

  1. 1. Should Frank Reich be fired if we don't win the AFC South?

    • yes
      44
    • no
      45


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You don't like polls like this because they go against your "appeal to authority" argument. This is a very valid poll, and there's lots of evidence that could be used to support both sides (probably more towards my side than yours). Coaches don't get free passes due to injuries most of the time. If Matt Ryan gets hurt by chance, Reich already has Nick Foles (who is his guy) ready, so there's no excuses there. The Titans got the no1 seed without Henry most of the year, so if Taylor gets hurt, you can't use that excuse for Reich. We also have an improved team at most every other position as well. 

 

You are down to using bad luck excuses like injury and covid to defend Reich. He doesn't deserve to be a HC, I don't care what Irsay and Ballard think. In fact, if we miss the playoffs this year and Reich doesn't get fired. I won't watch the team until Reich is fired starting in 2023. Hopefully the fanbase smartens up and hits Irsay where it hurts if Reich doesn't perform as a HC, in the attendance on TV where it embarrasses him nationally, the ratings, and most importantly, in the pocketbooks by not buying tickets and letting away fans swarm the stadium during home games in Indy.

I understand your frustration.  I don't think Reich is head coaching material either.

 

He's too much into the details and still hasn't learned that the job of an OC is different from a HC.

 

I think he's way too nice a guy and in many ways he reminds me of Mike McCoy.  As a HC he should be focusing on the big picture and not calling plays on the offense.  He needs to learn the art of delegation.  Delegate play calling to the OC.  This board should keep in mind that the NFL is littered with OC's/DCs that washed out as head coaches.  Its pretty common.

 

I want to be clear.  It wasn't just that Reich pounded the table for Wentz and brought him here.  It was also that he cost the Colts their first round pick.

 

I'm stunned that he still has a job after the Wentz fiasco (he should have been fired) AND giving up our first round pick.

 

Reich was also responsible for Rivers leaving a year early (we should have kept him another year) and kept our first round pick going after Mac Jones or Justin Fields.  To me that would have been a much better plan.

 

There is no doubt Rivers wanted to come back, but he was informed by Ballard/Reich the Colts were moving in a different direction which caused him to retire.  Rivers didn't want to be a backup elsewhere.

 

The penalty for going after Wentz and trading away our 1st round pick for that guy is a fireable offense to me.  It completely blew up in our faces.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m not a fan of giving up picks either. Trading for or signing veterans other than GOATs has historically proved to be ineffective as well.  Drafting a guy has been the number one way to get results while also failing miserably as well.  We will never know the internal discussion Ballard and Reich had about Herbert and Tua. If they didn’t like them I understand passing on trading up.  This is a tough business and I’m glad I’m just a fan. 

I prefer signing vets most times because it doesn't put you back years.   You give up lots of good picks to move up and draft a QB who ends up like Darnold, Rosen Tribusky or many others, the team feels they must give the QB 2-3 years to either prove himself or show he was a bust.  Then you are starting over again and that can go on for years.  But you also must be smart about it.  I thought Rivers was a good vet to sign.   I think Ryan is a good one to sign.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:


We did have the chance to get our choice of Tua or Herbert.  Instead we decided to trade for Buckner and sign Rivers.  That was the chance to reset after Luck.  I think the Colts over estimated how good they really were.  I would have moved up and got one of them while our core was still on their rookie contracts.  Instead, it kicked the can down the road and we are on our third veteran QB.
 

By the time we draft a QB and groom him to be ready to contend this roster will be aging out. We have a decent chance with Ryan to make some noise so maybe I’m wrong here. However, both the Chargers and Dolphins are loading up to go with it.  That should be us. 

 

I just want the advantage of a QB on a rookie deal. They have not had so far, mostly by choice.

 

Here are the Colts cap hits at QB the past few years:

 

2020 - $47M

2021 - $22M

2022 - $23M

2023 - $40M

2024 - ?

 

Hasn't been all that bad yet because they put Wentz money into the following season and Ryan money into the following season. But it jumps up to $40M next season.

 

But right now, they have $10M in cap space. Next year, they have $16M. Even if they rollover all $10M, they have $26M total. There will be changes, but they will need to pay Q, JT, Pitt (and possibly others) and replace anybody that leaves before even making any additions. Perhaps this is (in part) what is motivating Kenny Moore right now...get the money while he can.

 

There are ways around the cap and they know what they are doing, so I am not really worried about next season or even keeping those three players. It's more about what comes after that. I just think it will be very difficult to continue to pay the QB position $30-40M in cap space, while keeping all of these guys on second contracts. That's why I think it's unlikely Ryan is still here in 2024-25, unless he takes one hell of a discount to finish out his career. 

 

IMO, throwing a 3rd round dart at a QB this offseason would have been a shrewd move. But they almost have to draft one next year if they want to stay competitive, otherwise they are going to have to depend on a rookie the following year OR have to pay Ryan/some other vet a lot of money to be the QB. 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, stitches said:

I too think he's probably a top 10-15 coach in the league. But I also think that results should matter AT SOME POINT! Frank's results have been mediocre as a HC thus far. I allow for some level of luck(or lackthereof) and I do think he's been dealt with some heavy blows in those years, but AT SOME POINT... at some point he needs to deliver results. We cannot be here in 2025 talking about him being top 10 coach and not deserving of blame/firing with 1 playoff win in 8-9 years. 

 

What's that point for you? How many more win now seasons where we don't win anything of note are you willing to tolerate? 


Fair question….  And I agree.   I think Frank gets this run with Matt Ryan.    If we are winning 10+ games with him, making the playoffs, and there are fewer head scratching moments, then I think he stays.  
 

But if it starts to feel like we’re winning almost  despite what Frank is doing rather than because of what Frank is doing, then I think the Sell By Date will have expired.   I always say the coach is the right guy right up until the moment he’s not.   If we eventually move on from Frank, no one will say he didn’t get a good long fair shot.  
 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I prefer signing vets most times because it doesn't put you back years.   You give up lots of good picks to move up and draft a QB who ends up like Darnold, Rosen Tribusky or many others, the team feels they must give the QB 2-3 years to either prove himself or show he was a bust.  Then you are starting over again and that can go on for years.  But you also must be smart about it.  I thought Rivers was a good vet to sign.   I think Ryan is a good one to sign.  

I didnt like the Rivers signing, understood the Wentz trade but LOVE Matt Ryan on this team. Sure would be nice to have Herbert on a rookie deal with these extensions due to Q, JT and MPJ but Ryan is a great alternative.  
 

Only concern is i think the Colts are backing themselves into a corner to the point we will have to draft someone.  I dont think there will be franchise guys always available. I think they made the right decision to avoid a QB in the last draft bc i really like what they did in the 2nd and 3rd.  With the salary cap and all these extensions looming, I think we have to draft someone next year or 2024.  I dont know if we can afford salary wise not to. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not as worried about Reich this year as last couple.  I think Matt Ryan will jump out of his cleats if Reich goes rogue or off the tracks.  Ryan will be like another coach for the offense....I don't think he's going to settle for bone-headed play-calling, over-the-top risky 4th downs, and other weird things Reich has done, etc.   I think Matt Ryan will temper Reich's irrational chess moves.  If this unfolds as stated, there is no way we don't win the AFC South (barring catestrophic injuries).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2022 at 11:12 AM, PRnum1 said:

Incredibly bad luck for us to draw the AFC West. 

Um, what does luck have to do with it? Isn't it based on record?

16 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You don't like polls like this because they go against your "appeal to authority" argument.

I honestly don't know what you are referring to in this question to NCF. 

8 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I loved Andrew Luck and I don't blame him for retiring when he did, but that decision well and truly put this team at the mercy of the NFL gods.... We have never been in a position to find that real replacement for Luck as our franchise QB. Reich and Ballard have been doing the best they can with the hand they were dealt. We have always had too good of a team to be high enough in the draft to get a young franchise QB, even when our's walked out of the door, this team didn't have the bottom fall out. That is testament to Reich and Ballard. 

We have had such a good overall team over the last 5 years, it's because of that we have been in the QB situation we have been for so long. How is no one else seeing this? If the same thing happened to most other franchises, they would have capitulated and fallen apart and gone into total rebuilds... not us. 

You keep Frank and Ballard. This team would be on it's 5th head coach/GM combo in as many years without them. I'm personally of the opinion that we keep Ryan for the next year or two, win what we can with him, and stockpile some picks in the meantime by trading down for future picks and then when Ryan is out the door, you give Reich and Ballard their pick of the crop by trading the farm to get up in the draft for that franchise QB. You let Reich coach him up and we go from there.

Well said.

7 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:


We did have the chance to get our choice of Tua or Herbert.  

Are you sure they didn't try to get Herbert.....and if they didn't, what would they realistically have had to give up to move up for that pick?

3 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I don't think Reich is head coaching material either.

That's going to be a lonely hill to stand on....

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

 

Are you sure they didn't try to get Herbert.....and if they didn't, what would they realistically have had to give up to move up for that pick?


I would assume they didnt bc of trading for Buckner a month before the draft then signing Rivers a few days later. Im positive there were internal talks of what to do bc good teams do their due diligence.  
 

I would think it would cost at minimum two 1st and a 2nd to move from 13 into the top 5. So the million dollar question is Herbert worth more than Buckner, Paye and either MPJ or JT? Very high price to pay and why I understand Ballards decision. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:


I would assume they didnt bc of trading for Buckner a month before the draft then signing Rivers a few days later. Im positive there were internal talks of what to do bc good teams do their due diligence.  
 

I would think it would cost at minimum two 1st and a 2nd to move from 13 into the top 5. So the million dollar question is Herbert worth more than Buckner, Paye and either MPJ or JT? Very high price to pay and why I understand Ballards decision. 


Yes…he is worth more, especially on the Colts. You could use DeFo’s cap space elsewhere to sure up the DL. You won’t get DeFo, but there have been some very good DL players in FA in recent years. 
 

If it was (2) future 1s to move up, which is what SF paid, then we are talking about Paye and the Wentz pick. 
 

But if was one of those 2nd round picks in 2020, then you would still have this year’s 1st back to address WR.

 

Also would have back that 3rd round pick. 

 

It’s all hypothetical, but a franchise QB is incredibly valuable. If Ballard offered Telesco that package (as is), what do you think Tom says? I bet he politely, but quickly, declines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2022 at 5:38 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have Frank in my top 15 head coaches, I think he is above average to good but this is the time as a team we need to do bigger things. We have Matt Ryan now, so we should win the division. 

I vote no. I’d like to see what Frank can do with the same QB two years in a row before I fire him. I would however take away play calling from him

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

On 6/13/2022 at 7:13 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

Even if JT blows an Achilles day one, Reich needs to figure it out. Every team loses starters for the season and faces injuries all year long. Reichs job is to work around it. This is still a playoff team without Taylor...its a Super Bowl capable team with him. 

No it's not. We have exactly one proven WR and a ton of question marks after that, including a probable rookie starter. Rookie WRs rarely make a big impact. We lose Taylor, we go from one of the best running teams in the NFL to one of the worst. If we had at least one more proven high-level receiver than OK, but we don't.  You don't simply "work around" losing one of your best and very key players. Firing Reich because of such a severe injury loss would be silly in the extreme, but fortunately I think Irsay is smarter than that. 

 

Speaking of silly, I'm not sure which is more so: the entire topic of this thread or that the voting is close. We have a diff QB for the third year in a row (granted I think we really upgraded, but who knows)  a new defensive staff after losing one of the best DCs around, and again an almost totally revamped/unproven group of receivers, not to mention a huge ? mark at one of the most important positions in football, LOT. If we have a lousy year (assuming no major injury reasons) I'd far more support axing Ballard over Reich as that was his doing, but I wouldn't favor either. I haven't agreed with everything they've done, but hello, they're good. NFL fans are so spoiled and impatient, they think if they don't have immediate success the problem must be the HC and GM. It can take time to assemble the right pieces and for things to gel. And careful what you ask for...you could easily end up with someone worse. Anyone else want Grigson back? No, didn't think so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:


We did have the chance to get our choice of Tua or Herbert.  Instead we decided to trade for Buckner and sign Rivers.  

? Herbert was drafted with the 6th overall pick. We gave up the 13th pick to get Buckner. We weren't realistically getting Herbert. You also ignore how much better our D was/is with Buckner. I've been a Colts fan a LONG time and since he arrived, it's the first time we've had a truly good D since.....hell the 70s? 

 

Again I don't agree with everything Ballard has done, but he was a massive upgrade from Grigson and knows more about defense than any GM the Colts have had in my lifetime IMO. As others have said, losing Luck was a devastating blow that many are conveniently ignoring. I'm amazed we've stayed as competitive as we have. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I want to be clear.  It wasn't just that Reich pounded the table for Wentz and brought him here.  It was also that he cost the Colts their first round pick.

 

I'm stunned that he still has a job after the Wentz fiasco (he should have been fired) AND giving up our first round pick.

Isn't hindsight wonderful?

 

Quote

Reich was also responsible for Rivers leaving a year early

? Where are you getting this? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, jonjon said:

 

 

No it's not. We have exactly one proven WR and a ton of question marks after that, including a probable rookie starter. Rookie WRs rarely make a big impact. We lose Taylor, we go from one of the best running teams in the NFL to one of the worst. If we had at least one more proven high-level receiver than OK, but we don't.  You don't simply "work around" losing one of your best and very key players. Firing Reich because of such a severe injury loss would be silly in the extreme, but fortunately I think Irsay is smarter than that. 

 

Speaking of silly, I'm not sure which is more so: the entire topic of this thread or that the voting is close. We have a diff QB for the third year in a row (granted I think we really upgraded, but who knows)  a new defensive staff after losing one of the best DCs around, and again an almost totally revamped/unproven group of receivers, not to mention a huge ? mark at one of the most important positions in football, LOT. If we have a lousy year (assuming no major injury reasons) I'd far more support axing Ballard over Reich as that was his doing, but I wouldn't favor either. I haven't agreed with everything they've done, but hello, they're good. NFL fans are so spoiled and impatient, they think if they don't have immediate success the problem must be the HC and GM. It can take time to assemble the right pieces and for things to gel. And careful what you ask for...you could easily end up with someone worse. Anyone else want Grigson back? No, didn't think so. 

Its not a question of if JT goes down, its when he goes down Reich will have to work around it. Could be this year, could be another but running backs get injured.  He will have to find production elsewhere bc the season will count on it.  It wont be easy but it will be the job.  I stand by my comment of unless Ryan or half our starters go down for extended period...Reich will need to figure it out.  It is his job.  Being an NFL head coach is hard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not his job to fill the team with capable backups...that's the GM's job. 

 

But regardless, you seem to think it's reasonable to expect a GM and/or HC to pull rabbits out of a hat. It's not. The greatest HC or GM in the world can't always take backups and turn them into world beaters. There's a reason they're backups. In fact, that's quite rare, and it's more about the player than the coach. To think a HC or GM should be fired because the team suffers a major injury and the team falters because of it is IMO absurd. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jonjon said:

 

 

No it's not. We have exactly one proven WR and a ton of question marks after that, including a probable rookie starter. Rookie WRs rarely make a big impact. We lose Taylor, we go from one of the best running teams in the NFL to one of the worst. If we had at least one more proven high-level receiver than OK, but we don't.  You don't simply "work around" losing one of your best and very key players. Firing Reich because of such a severe injury loss would be silly in the extreme, but fortunately I think Irsay is smarter than that. 

 

Speaking of silly, I'm not sure which is more so: the entire topic of this thread or that the voting is close. We have a diff QB for the third year in a row (granted I think we really upgraded, but who knows)  a new defensive staff after losing one of the best DCs around, and again an almost totally revamped/unproven group of receivers, not to mention a huge ? mark at one of the most important positions in football, LOT. If we have a lousy year (assuming no major injury reasons) I'd far more support axing Ballard over Reich as that was his doing, but I wouldn't favor either. I haven't agreed with everything they've done, but hello, they're good. NFL fans are so spoiled and impatient, they think if they don't have immediate success the problem must be the HC and GM. It can take time to assemble the right pieces and for things to gel. And careful what you ask for...you could easily end up with someone worse. Anyone else want Grigson back? No, didn't think so. 


“We have a different QB for the third year in a row.”    Huh?

 

2017: Brissett

2018: Luck

2019: Brissett

2020: Rivers

2021:  Wentz 

2022:  Ryan

 

Whether you count Brissett once or twice makes no difference.   It is not three straight years of a new QB for the Colts. 
 

It’s either 5 years, 2018-2022 or 6 years 17-22.     But it’s not three years. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2022 at 12:47 PM, lollygagger8 said:

I think he's a good head coach, but not a great in game play caller. 

 

I've said this 1k times already, but after the first 15 scripted plays, the Offense typically falls flat. I think Matty Ice will help get the team in the right plays and mask some of Reich's deficiencies, but he doesn't have a real flow for making adjustments in game. I called for Frank to give up play calling a long time ago (as many of us did) 

matthew bingo GIF

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jonjon said:

 

 

No it's not. We have exactly one proven WR and a ton of question marks after that, including a probable rookie starter. Rookie WRs rarely make a big impact. We lose Taylor, we go from one of the best running teams in the NFL to one of the worst. If we had at least one more proven high-level receiver than OK, but we don't.  You don't simply "work around" losing one of your best and very key players. Firing Reich because of such a severe injury loss would be silly in the extreme, but fortunately I think Irsay is smarter than that. 

 

Speaking of silly, I'm not sure which is more so: the entire topic of this thread or that the voting is close. We have a diff QB for the third year in a row (granted I think we really upgraded, but who knows)  a new defensive staff after losing one of the best DCs around, and again an almost totally revamped/unproven group of receivers, not to mention a huge ? mark at one of the most important positions in football, LOT. If we have a lousy year (assuming no major injury reasons) I'd far more support axing Ballard over Reich as that was his doing, but I wouldn't favor either. I haven't agreed with everything they've done, but hello, they're good. NFL fans are so spoiled and impatient, they think if they don't have immediate success the problem must be the HC and GM. It can take time to assemble the right pieces and for things to gel. And careful what you ask for...you could easily end up with someone worse. Anyone else want Grigson back? No, didn't think so. 

For a silly topic, the voting is 29 yes and 28 no. Nothing silly about this topic at all when people in here have mixed views on Frank. I wanted to see where people actually stand and now I know. You find out a lot about polls and see who votes what, pretty simple. Imo we should win the division (if healthy), we have the QB and roster to do so. Of course if Matt Ryan goes down or Taylor goes down or both go down then Frank gets a pass. To Tennessee's credit, they still won the division last year and Henry missed half the season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:


“We have a different QB for the third year in a row.”    Huh?

 

2017: Brissett

2018: Luck

2019: Brissett

2020: Rivers

2021:  Wentz 

2022:  Ryan

 

Whether you count Brissett once or twice makes no difference.   It is not three straight years of a new QB for the Colts. 
 

It’s either 5 years, 2018-2022 or 6 years 17-22.     But it’s not three years. 

Yeah his math was way off lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, shasta519 said:


Yes…he is worth more, especially on the Colts. You could use DeFo’s cap space elsewhere to sure up the DL. You won’t get DeFo, but there have been some very good DL players in FA in recent years. 
 

If it was (2) future 1s to move up, which is what SF paid, then we are talking about Paye and the Wentz pick. 
 

But if was one of those 2nd round picks in 2020, then you would still have this year’s 1st back to address WR.

 

Also would have back that 3rd round pick. 

 

It’s all hypothetical, but a franchise QB is incredibly valuable. If Ballard offered Telesco that package (as is), what do you think Tom says? I bet he politely, but quickly, declines.

but giving up that much for a chance at a good QB isn't what I like to see.  Great if it works out but detrimental if it doesn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Myles said:

but giving up that much for a chance at a good QB isn't what I like to see.  Great if it works out but detrimental if it doesn't.

Sadly it is the nature of the beast.  The draft is absolutely a gamble and I think you can see Ballard and Reich agree by going the veteran route. The way i see it is it didnt work with Rivers or Wentz either. Not failures but not success either.  

 

I think it will with Ryan and mainly bc we hit on the assets we would have traded to get a QB. I think it would have taken 20 and 21 1st and 20 2nd plus maybe a 21 3rd or 4th to get into the top 5.  So would you rather have Ryan, Buckner, Paye, MPJ for this two year run plus the ability to take a chance on Wentz or Herbert for a decade to build a different way.  
 

I absolutely see why the Colts are operating the way they are. Rivers, Wentz and Ryan are good chances to take when you have a roster like ours. I prefer the draft a QB route But like you said its a huge risk.

 

 I will say I believe this is it for Reich. Win with Ryan and this roster or in a year or two he is gone. The colts will draft a QB in 23 or 24.  That have tried three times to go the veteran route.  Im confident they will see its unsustainable and eventually you have to roll the dice to get someone in here to lead the team for the next decade. I think the Colts have put a lot of faith in Reich and their staff. Ballard has said over and over you build through the draft. Trading for and signing vets in key positions are moves coaches want and typically not GMs. The front office has given the coaches what they wanted so now its time for the staff to produce. I really do think the Colts are all in on a 2-3yr window.  
 


 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Sadly it is the nature of the beast.  The draft is absolutely a gamble and I think you can see Ballard and Reich agree by going the veteran route. The way i see it is it didnt work with Rivers or Wentz either. Not failures but not success either.  

 

I think it will with Ryan and mainly bc we hit on the assets we would have traded to get a QB. I think it would have taken 20 and 21 1st and 20 2nd plus maybe a 21 3rd or 4th to get into the top 5.  So would you rather have Ryan, Buckner, Paye, MPJ for this two year run plus the ability to take a chance on Wentz or Herbert for a decade to build a different way.  
 

I absolutely see why the Colts are operating the way they are. Rivers, Wentz and Ryan are good chances to take when you have a roster like ours. I prefer the draft a QB route But like you said its a huge risk.

 

 I will say I believe this is it for Reich. Win with Ryan and this roster or in a year or two he is gone. The colts will draft a QB in 23 or 24.  That have tried three times to go the veteran route.  Im confident they will see its unsustainable and eventually you have to roll the dice to get someone in here to lead the team for the next decade. I think the Colts have put a lot of faith in Reich and their staff. Ballard has said over and over you build through the draft. Trading for and signing vets in key positions are moves coaches want and typically not GMs. The front office has given the coaches what they wanted so now its time for the staff to produce. I really do think the Colts are all in on a 2-3yr window.  
 


 

 

I do not want to become a team who give up multiple years picks in order to take a shot on an unproven QB.  Remember Rosen was thought by many "experts" to be the best QB in the draft.   i am fine picking a QB with a draft pick, just not giving up allot to do it.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Myles said:

I do not want to become a team who give up multiple years picks in order to take a shot on an unproven QB.  Remember Rosen was thought by many "experts" to be the best QB in the draft.   i am fine picking a QB with a draft pick, just not giving up allot to do it.  

I get it.  I really do.  Trading and missing can set your franchise back 5yrs. Hitting and you are gold. Rosen is a great example of an absolute bust.  Then you have Allen who the bills basically gave up their LT, 2 first and 2 seconds to move up from late first round to #7.  Jets gave up a 1st and 3 seconds and whiffed. 
 

Issue is we will never be in the top 10 of the draft and thats where franchise guys typically go.  So either we have to accept moderate success with veterans or gamble.  Honestly from a business aspect the veteran route is the better way to go.  Being in contention to win your division sells tickets and merch. Probably wont sniff a realistic chance at a SB but above average makes way more money than bottom dwellers. I understand and 100% accept the approach. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I get it.  I really do.  Trading and missing can set your franchise back 5yrs. Hitting and you are gold. Rosen is a great example of an absolute bust.  Then you have Allen who the bills basically gave up their LT, 2 first and 2 seconds to move up from late first round to #7.  Jets gave up a 1st and 3 seconds and whiffed. 
 

Issue is we will never be in the top 10 of the draft and thats where franchise guys typically go.  So either we have to accept moderate success with veterans or gamble.  Honestly from a business aspect the veteran route is the better way to go.  Being in contention to win your division sells tickets and merch. Probably wont sniff a realistic chance at a SB but above average makes way more money than bottom dwellers. I understand and 100% accept the approach. 

You don't think the Colts can "sniff" a Superbowl this season?   While I see it being unlikely, no more than Cincy last season.   I prefer to have a chance at the playoffs each year with a vet QB.  In the past year, we have seen Stafford, Ryan and Russell switch teams, so it may be a sustainable route.   The downside is the cheap rookie QB contract to take advantage of.   I'd rather be competitive each year than give up lots of draft picks every 3 years to try again in the draft.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I prefer to sign a vet QB, and draft a QB if the guy you like is available when you select. If not, don't reach for one. Recent history, as in the last 20 years, says a top ten drafted QB is not going to translate to a Super Bowl ring. 

 

Over the past 20 years, QB's who were drafted top 10 and won a Super Bowl with the team that drafted them is a short list:

Manning, Manning, Mahomes (10th). Who knows, the next one to add to this category may also have the name Manning. 

 

Stafford - acquired by trade

Brady - Free Agent signing

Mahomes - drafted 10th

Foles -drafted 3rd round

Brady - drafted 6th round

Manning - Free Agent signing

Brady 

Wilson - 3rd round

Flacco -drafted 18th

Manning,E - drafted 1st

Rodgers - drafted 24th

Brees - Free Agent signing

Ben - drafted 11th

Manning, E

Manning, P

Ben

Brady

Brady

Johnson - FA

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, coltsva said:

I prefer to sign a vet QB, and draft a QB if the guy you like is available when you select. If not, don't reach for one. Recent history, as in the last 20 years, says a top ten drafted QB is not going to translate to a Super Bowl ring. 

 

Over the past 20 years, QB's who were drafted top 10 and won a Super Bowl with the team that drafted them is a short list:

Manning, Manning, Mahomes (10th). Who knows, the next one to add to this category may also have the name Manning. 

 

Stafford - acquired by trade

Brady - Free Agent signing

Mahomes - drafted 10th

Foles -drafted 3rd round

Brady - drafted 6th round

Manning - Free Agent signing

Brady 

Wilson - 3rd round

Flacco -drafted 18th

Manning,E - drafted 1st

Rodgers - drafted 24th

Brees - Free Agent signing

Ben - drafted 11th

Manning, E

Manning, P

Ben

Brady

Brady

Johnson - FA

 

I agree.   I didn't research it but would guess the amount of QB's drafted in the to 10 who ended up being busts is a much longer list.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For a silly topic, the voting is 29 yes and 28 no. Nothing silly about this topic at all when people in here have mixed views on Frank. I wanted to see where people actually stand and now I know. You find out a lot about polls and see who votes what, pretty simple. Imo we should win the division (if healthy), we have the QB and roster to do so. Of course if Matt Ryan goes down or Taylor goes down or both go down then Frank gets a pass. To Tennessee's credit, they still won the division last year and Henry missed half the season.

Its not a silly topic at all.

 

I would guess the fans that want to keep Reich are the older fans that want to stick with the status quo.  They need structure and some type of order.

 

The fans that want to get rid of Reich are the younger fans that are tired of the status quo and want change right away.  They see what Reich is and there is no need to waste any further seasons.

 

Keep in mind that were it not for Ballard's trading mastery by getting Ryan (bailing Reich's butt out of the fire), we would be headed into the season with Marcus Mariotta as our starting QB.


What a disaster that would have been.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Myles said:

You don't think the Colts can "sniff" a Superbowl this season?   While I see it being unlikely, no more than Cincy last season.   I prefer to have a chance at the playoffs each year with a vet QB.  In the past year, we have seen Stafford, Ryan and Russell switch teams, so it may be a sustainable route.   The downside is the cheap rookie QB contract to take advantage of.   I'd rather be competitive each year than give up lots of draft picks every 3 years to try again in the draft.  

I find it unlikely with Reich as coach we make it to the AFC championship game. I think he will cost us a couple games like he does nearly every year and that will be the difference in us playing at home the first two weeks or getting HFA. 12-13 wins should get us a 1 or 2 seed. I think we will have 10-11 wins with Reich. Do we have a shot?  Of course, any given Sunday but I think Reich will get outclassed just enough to hold us back. When you go the veteran route you need all phases playing together to do everything right and let the other team make the mistakes. The wildcard here is I think Ryan can go make those 2-4 plays a game we have needed the past two years. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I find it unlikely with Reich as coach we make it to the AFC championship game. I think he will cost us a couple games like he does nearly every year and that will be the difference in us playing at home the first two weeks or getting HFA. 12-13 wins should get us a 1 or 2 seed. I think we will have 10-11 wins with Reich. Do we have a shot?  Of course, any given Sunday but I think Reich will get outclassed just enough to hold us back. When you go the veteran route you need all phases playing together to do everything right and let the other team make the mistakes. The wildcard here is I think Ryan can go make those 2-4 plays a game we have needed the past two years. 

I agree.   If Reich would give up the play calling, I think he could be one of the best coaches in the league.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


“We have a different QB for the third year in a row.”    Huh?

 

2017: Brissett

2018: Luck

2019: Brissett

2020: Rivers

2021:  Wentz 

2022:  Ryan

 

Whether you count Brissett once or twice makes no difference.   It is not three straight years of a new QB for the Colts. 
 

It’s either 5 years, 2018-2022 or 6 years 17-22.     But it’s not three years. 

My bad, fifth year in a row. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Were it not for Frank, I think it should have been

 

2017: Brissett

2018: Luck

2019: Brissett

2020: Rivers

2021: Rivers (Colts draft Fields/Jones)

2022:  Fields/Jones after one year of tutelage under Rivers

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Were it not for Frank, I think it should have been

 

2017: Brissett

2018: Luck

2019: Brissett

2020: Rivers

2021: Rivers (Colts draft Fields/Jones)

2022:  Fields/Jones after one year of tutelage under Rivers

I would've loved to seen Rivers back for a 2nd year. He like Matt Ryan are in my top 25 of all-time. When we got Rivers, I felt good, when we got Wentz I was iffy. Matt Ryan gives me the same feeling that Rivers did, which is a good thing. Regarding Reich, I think he is top 15 in 2022 as far as coaches but I do feel like he needs to be a part of taking this team to the next level. Tennessee is out here winning the division with Tannehill and Henry missing half the season. Poll is at 32 yes/31 no. Over Half the forum feels like I do. Reich was dealt a raw deal when Luck retired but we have a very good roster now with a good QB. Time to make some noise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Its not a silly topic at all.

 

I would guess the fans that want to keep Reich are the older fans that want to stick with the status quo.  They need structure and some type of order.

 

The fans that want to get rid of Reich are the younger fans that are tired of the status quo and want change right away.  They see what Reich is and there is no need to waste any further seasons.

 

Keep in mind that were it not for Ballard's trading mastery by getting Ryan (bailing Reich's butt out of the fire), we would be headed into the season with Marcus Mariotta as our starting QB.


What a disaster that would have been.

I don't think "keep" or "fire" is an age thing and/or a need for structure & order. I'm in the "older fan" category, and I've screamed at the TV plenty of times "we need to fire this guy!" after some poor decisions. But once I calm down I ask myself "okay, if we fire Frank, who do we replace him with?" 

 

We fired Caldwell, we got Pagano. We fired Pagano, we got the McDaniels fiasco. The firing part is not the issue. You need to find an experienced coach who is better than what you have, AND wants to coach here, or you need to roll the dice on a first time head coach that you think will be better and who, again, wants to coach here.

 

If you tell me Harbaugh(John), Belichick, McVay or similar are available, then I'm all in on replacing Reich. If Ballard has a hot shot coordinator or college coach that he thinks is the next great coach and a clear upgrade on Reich, then I'm all in on replacing him. 

 

It's just not as simple as "let's fire Reich and hire someone better." 

 

I also don't look at it as Ballard bailing out Reich in regard to Wentz. Ballard bailed out Reich, Irsay, and himself by jettisoning Wentz & getting Ryan. Reich has a voice, but Ballard & Irsay have final say. They agreed to make the deal to acquire Wentz, when either could have vetoed it. 

 

Now, having said all this, if the Colts miss the playoffs this year with a healthy Ryan, then I'll be ready to move on to a new coach, and throw in new GM as well. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get the whole you can't keep getting rid of coaches every few years, I agree with that 100%. You guys do know Reich is now in year 5, not year 2 or 3? I think asking the man to win a division title with the roster he has is not asking that much. It is not like I titled the thread, 'if Reich doesn't make the SB or win it should he be fired' happy homer simpson GIF

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I was very much against our signing Wentz and vowed to turn a blind eye to the Colts last season… I think it lasted maybe 4 weeks lol. Not only did I watch the games, I also watched Hard Knocks.  I learned that I’m all talk, I can’t back it up. I’ll bleed blue forever. Go Colts! 
    • Brooks will need a year or two.  He's got a tweener type frame. He could be a package guy on the interior if we're trying to one gap the OC, but we've got better options. IMO, he'll end up a PS guy. Johnson could end up on the PS too.    Give Brooks a year or two in a good S&C program. If he can put on some weight and add strength, I'd like his chances at depth NT.
    • Agree in general. But a lot of reviews have called out his slender bottom half. I watched some of his film, and he really struggled at times, even with LBs. 
    • Curtis Brooks has the potential to be the steal of the Draft for Colts by Jaleel Grandberry   Sixth-round pick for the Indianapolis Colts, Curtis Brooks, was impressive in his final year in college and could be the steal of the entire Draft. The 2022 draft class for the Indianapolis Colts is highlighted by the impressive offensive selections of day two. The Colts started their draft by selecting Alec Pierce, Jelani Woods, and Bernhard Raimann. While all three were great picks, and necessary, it was a selection that Indianapolis made on day three that could be the steal of the Draft. In the sixth round of the Draft, with the 216th-overall pick, Indy used its second-to-last pick to select defensive tackle Curtis Brooks out of Cincinnati. Brooks wasn’t highly ranked in the class, he was the 17th defensive tackle taken, and the second by the Colts. However, he flashed some things in college that should have fans excited about his ceiling. Curtis Brooks could be promising for Colts Brooks is just 6-foot-2 and 285 pounds but he played with a lot of explosiveness in his five years at Cincinnati. In his final season, Brooks recorded 57 tackles, 12.5 for a loss, and 7.5 sacks. On his tape, he routinely showcases explosiveness, athleticism, and a high motor as he disrupts runs and gets after the quarterback on passing plays. In addition to his film and impressive advanced stats, Brooks recorded 33 reps on the bench press, had 35.5 vertical, a 4.9 40-yard dash, and graded well in all other athletic evaluation tests. Now, Brooks gets to join a loaded Colts defense as he adjusts his tools to the professional level. He’ll be surrounded by stars and will be able to learn from the Pro Bowler, DeForest Buckner, in addition to other Indianapolis veterans. Despite going in the sixth round, it wouldn’t be a shock if Brooks becomes a really good professional player. Between his tape and his numbers, he has a pretty high ceiling. Hopefully, the Colts will help him reach that ceiling   Data on Curtis Brooks (DT, Cincinnati) from PFF Pass Rush Win Rate: 19.3% (best in class) Run Defense Stop Rate: 13.1% (best) Pass Rush grade: 90.4 (best) True Pass Set grade: 92.3 (best) True Pass Set win rate: 37%!! (best) Run Defense grade: 69.9
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...